What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

Not sure if this was discussed here but even after yesterday's blowup/tweet fiasco last I saw yesterday was ASJ on a twitter rampage last night. Not against Tampa, but basically having nasty back and forth insulting conversations with people and displaying a stunning lack of maturity. I could not help but think he was trying to get cut, so yea put me down as someone not surprised if he gets axed.

Not sure if this was discussed here but even after yesterday's blowup/tweet fiasco last I saw yesterday was ASJ on a twitter rampage last night. Not against Tampa, but basically having nasty back and forth insulting conversations with people and displaying a stunning lack of maturity. I could not help but think he was trying to get cut, so yea put me down as someone not surprised if he gets axed.
I keep waiting to hear what the advantage is for a pro athlete having a twitter account. I'm sure someone will come along and talk about "branding" blah blah blah. Seems to me if you just show up and play well, help your team win games, and you'll get plenty of those local mattress store commercials whether you have twitter or not. 

Of course I have to admit unless you are of the "hey guys listen to ME!!!" generation I don't really understand why non athletes need twitter either. When I was a die-hard gambler it was a tool to get last minute injury info I guess.

I keep waiting to hear what the advantage is for a pro athlete having a twitter account. I'm sure someone will come along and talk about "branding" blah blah blah. Seems to me if you just show up and play well, help your team win games, and you'll get plenty of those local mattress store commercials whether you have twitter or not. 

Of course I have to admit unless you are of the "hey guys listen to ME!!!" generation I don't really understand why non athletes need twitter either. When I was a die-hard gambler it was a tool to get last minute injury info I guess.
The players now grew up with social media, and they're addicted to it. Sharing their every thought and moment is in the DNA of most young people, its an extension of their self-worth and ego and brings lots of validation. Tough to talk them out of it. Plus I guarantee they are pulling lots of social media strange without much effort. 

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Milkman, he is fine and due for a break out this year. It is Ebron we should be worried about. ASJ owners have nothing to fear. He is not a risk. Draft without reservation.

Having one is one thing, commenting when you are angry is another.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE -  Buccaneers

Roy Cummings of Today's Pigskin believes Austin Seferian-Jenkins' attitude "has the potential to cost him his job."
"Seferian-Jenkins is a $10 million talent with a ten-cent head," Cummings wrote. "In just two seasons with the Buccaneers, he’s proved he has the uncanny ability to turn a molehill of a mistake into a mushroom cloud of trouble." The third-year tight end was kicked out of spring practice three weeks ago, and it wasn't the first time he's butted heads with his coaches. ASJ probably isn't in danger of being cut, but the Bucs would probably entertain trade offers for him. Coach Dirk Koetter has said Cameron Brate is in the mix to start ahead of Seferian-Jenkins.

This can only mean one thing IMO. Buy now. The value for this elite stud will never be lower!!!!

I'm praying for a great game for game 1 then I will trade him as quickly as possible!

Tex

Only from a mental stand point. He has the talent but the more I've read and heard over the last few weeks is a cause for concern. This information is new to me so it certainly changes how I feel about him. I won't sell him cheaply but I could package him and a 2nd or 3rd for a TE I have ranked higher than him.

I already have Fleener and Walker as my two starters I've been waiting for this kid to blossom to the level of hype and he hasn't done that yet. I know he's still young but maybe this is who he is.

Tex

Only from a mental stand point. He has the talent but the more I've read and heard over the last few weeks is a cause for concern. This information is new to me so it certainly changes how I feel about him. I won't sell him cheaply but I could package him and a 2nd or 3rd for a TE I have ranked higher than him.

I already have Fleener and Walker as my two starters I've been waiting for this kid to blossom to the level of hype and he hasn't done that yet. I know he's still young but maybe this is who he is.

Tex
Agreed.

I thought injuries were his only stumbling block, and with Jackson declining he had some opportunity. But if you have to worry about injuries, grasp of the offense, relationship with coaches, maturity level, competition from other TE's on the roster...... why take the risk unless he falls very, very late and/or you have very, very deep rosters? 

Says the guy ranting on a message board to make sure everyone knows his stance on an issue.

Athletes play for a short time, after their short careers, they may look for a brand. Blah blah blah the world and how it works all you want, fact is players are not trying to please you or I. They are athletes who play sports, it is no ones fault but your own if you want them to be a role model to you or anyone.

Some athletes are murderers, rapists, cheaters and so on. Stop acting like they are something other than people who play a game.

Warrior said:
Says the guy ranting on a message board to make sure everyone knows his stance on an issue.
You can rest assured that if I was working towards a second contract that would represent well over half the income I am going to make over the course of my life.... I wouldn't be posting anywhere that could possibly jeopardize that in any way. Of course, I would also learn my playbook so I didn't get thrown out of practice.

While ASJ being thrown out of practice by the coach is not a good thing. It is still just a singular event that could easily be blown out of proportion because there isn't any new news to report since then, as the players and coaches have some down time right now.

Certainly something to keep in mind going into training camp, but a few good practices and this basically goes away.

Don't be worried ASJ owners. This is all a ploy to motivate the ultra talented TE so that he can be better than Ebron for years to come. In fact, the opposite is happening in Detroit. Beat writers are hyping Ebron but we all know he will fall flat on his face because Ebron sucks and ASJ rocks. 

Coach Dirk Koetter revealed Wednesday that Cameron Brate is currently the Bucs' starting tight end ahead of Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
Seferian-Jenkins rubbed Koetter the wrong way during a spring practice and was kicked off the field. He proceeded to go on a Twitter rampage before apologizing for it all a week later. Since then, Brate has been the one getting pumped up by Koetter through the media. Koetter praised Brate's ability to get open in the red zone and later said Brate has been much improved as a blocker. It sounds like ASJ is going to need the preseason of his life to regain his starting job.

Coach Dirk Koetter lumped Austin Seferian-Jenkins into the category of players "fighting for a job."
"Austin's trying to get better every day," Koetter said. "Austin's working at it and that's all he can do right now. He's just got to work. That's all anybody that's fighting for a job can do. The guys that are playing the best are going to play. Catching up for some guys is knowing what they're doing. Catching up for other guys is you've got to play better, and he falls into that category." Koetter has been all over Seferian-Jenkins since taking over as coach, and he revealed Wednesday that Cameron Brate has bypassed ASJ atop the depth chart. It's fair to wonder if ASJ could be had via trade.

Source: Tampa Bay Times 
Aug 3 - 11:56 AM

The Sporting News' Roy Cummings reports Austin Seferian-Jenkins "is flashing" during team drills.
Cummings admits Seferian-Jenkins still looks like he is going through the motions during individual drills, but he has been "coming on" as of late during team work. To his point, several beat writers have made note of the spectacular plays ASJ has made over the last several days. Competing with Cameron Brate for the starting job, Seferian-Jenkins will need to shine throughout camp and the preseason.

Source: Roy Cummings on Twitter

It's certainly not his ability that's holding him back. He is the best TE talent to come out of that class. Unfortunately he's pretty close to being out of the league imo. There have been many great talents that couldn't stay in the league because of personal issues. He's close to being added to that list......

Coach Dirk Koetter said Sunday that Austin Seferian-Jenkins has "earned" the right to resume splitting first-team reps with Cameron Brate.

While Brate has turned in a poor preseason, ASJ has earned strong blocking grades from Pro Football Focus and been efficient with his passing-game targets. There's no question ASJ is a superior talent. He needs to continue to show the coaching staff that he's a reliable asset, and indications are Seferian-Jenkins is on his way. He remains a late-round flyer with plenty of ceiling.

Related: Cameron Brate

Source: Roy Cummings on Twitter 
Aug 21 - 4:25 PM

I drafted him very late, I believe he will get out of the doghouse and he is much more talented than Brate. I'm not sure when he will get out but he's my 3rd TE and I'm happy, lottery ticket.

He's back running with the first team. Brate looked horrible in the last game, so ASJ is back on top. They're still touting Brate as having a role, but ASJ could easily be the 1st TE week 1.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins will play with the first team in Friday’s preseason game.
The Bucs have given Cameron Brate most of the starter reps to this point, but ASJ has earned the promotion with his recent play. He’s reportedly improved the mental aspect of his game since his shaky start to training camp. Seferian-Jenkins is shaping up as a high-upside TE2.

Source: 620 Tampa 
Aug 26 - 4:02 PM

Playing with 2 minutes left of the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game. Has to be on the roster bubble. 

Playing with 2 minutes left of the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game. Has to be on the roster bubble. 
I've never really been concerned until now.  Really?  That doesn't make much sense at all.  Is Koeter one of those coaches who are always playing mind games trying to prove their point?

I've never really been concerned until now.  Really?  That doesn't make much sense at all.  Is Koeter one of those coaches who are always playing mind games trying to prove their point?
I dunno if it's a mind games. Koetter said after the game his roster spot isn't in trouble but you don't play a guy into the 4th quarter of the last game, including the final 40 seconds if you value his potential contributions this year. You just don't. 

Maybe he wants to trade him?  If I were an NFL GM I would have been calling TB some time during the 3rd quarter and inquiring about it, that's for sure.

Hard to say what last night meant. Definitely weird that he was playing the whole game. Since Koetter said he's not in danger of being cut, I think he's either getting traded or Koetter is still trying to light a fire under his ### and is playing weird mind games with him.

Regardless, only reason this guy is fantasy relevant is stashing him for a Dynasty due to his potential. He hasn't shown much yet, is injured a lot and seems to be a hothead so I don't like his chances of succeeding. 

Warning this comment is purely couch therapist mumbo jumbo.

My speculation is that ASJ got in the doghouse with coach in June OTAs. Coach wanted to send a message to the team that the coach has the power/control. Whether you see it in a positive or negative light--- The coach ultimately "wants to motivate players to play better". So use negative reinforcement to make an example out of ASJ to maintain control and make a better team. So ASJ now isn't getting the snaps in the preseason and then the coach thinks to light a fire under his ### and say oh you can now share duties. The 4th game is hairy but I think he wanted ASJ to be motivated and humble him possibly. Mindgames!

The thing I take away is that ASJ is well spoken in interviews and it seems that the better approach is to empathize and understand the player and develop him that way. Idk, but watching hardknocks in general, it feels like coaching is like herding cats. Coaches probably don't want to be a social worker and use up valauble time on strong personalities. ASJ has got the talent and when it comes to gametime throw this power play bs out the window.The coach is going to play who is increasing the chances to win and they can spin all this drama. Wins are a cure. TB is a winning team this year. I talked myself into dropping Dwayne Allen for ASJ.

My speculation is that ASJ got in the doghouse with coach in June OTAs. Coach wanted to send a message to the team that the coach has the power/control. Whether you see it in a positive or negative light--- The coach ultimately "wants to motivate players to play better". So use negative reinforcement to make an example out of ASJ to maintain control and make a better team. So ASJ now isn't getting the snaps in the preseason and then the coach thinks to light a fire under his ### and say oh you can now share duties. The 4th game is hairy but I think he wanted ASJ to be motivated and humble him possibly. Mindgames!

The thing I take away is that ASJ is well spoken in interviews and it seems that the better approach is to empathize and understand the player and develop him that way. Idk, but watching hardknocks in general, it feels like coaching is like herding cats. Coaches probably don't want to be a social worker and use up valauble time on strong personalities. ASJ has got the talent and when it comes to gametime throw this power play bs out the window.The coach is going to play who is increasing the chances to win and they can spin all this drama. Wins are a cure. TB is a winning team this year. I talked myself into dropping Dwayne Allen for ASJ.
Love the optimism, but yikes.

Geez. I believe in Occum's razor. Sometimes the simple obvious answer supersedes tortured worked up conclusions. 

ASJ is gifted, but doesn't play to his ability. He seems to think he knows better than the coaches, but at the same time regularly blows assignments. It looks to me like the answer is this simple - he's gifted, he knows it, he is certain he is the smartest guy in the room or on the field, and because of that he has put himself above the team.  That doesn't work in the NFL.

The coaching staff seems to be trying everything they can to get through to him, both positive and negative reinforcement, and nothing seems to be getting through to him. He sure wouldn't be the first guy that this happened to in the NFL. 

Hope it works out, but bold move. Even as a Bucs fan, I wouldn't do that lol. Then again, I'm also probably higher on Allen than most people.

The Tampa Bay Times' Greg Auman reports Austin Seferian-Jenkins worked with the second-team offense at Monday's practice.
Auman thinks ASJ will play "plenty" in the Week 1 opener, but said he believes Cameron Brate and Luke Stocker are ahead of him on the depth chart as the "starters." Stocker is probably more of an H-back/lead-blocker type with no true fullback on the roster. Seferian-Jenkins played deep into the preseason finale, suggesting he's still in coach Dirk Koetter's doghouse.

Related: Luke StockerCameron Brate

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter 
Sep 5 - 9:03 PM

how much of this is asj and the coach butting heads, and how much of this is ASJ might just not be that good?

Users who are viewing this thread