What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (1 Viewer)

Reason #1 for the putrid 3.5 per target was Aaron Rodgers not being able to hit the broad side of a barn today.

Adams dropped a couple, and cost himself a big day on one of those drops. Cobb had a big drop too. Adams also made a beautiful one handed catch.

Rotoworld just posted that Cobb has caught 50% of his targets over the last 6 games, with only one game over 55 yards.

In all honesty, Rodgers is playing like crap. That 2 point conversion to Adams should have been an easy conversion. Instead Rodgers doesn't lead Adams out into the open space ahead of him, and that allows the defender to make a play on the ball as it arrived. That play was a microcosm of the game for Rodgers and Adams.
Yeah, I thought the same thing on this play. Rogers gets that ball up 2 feet, Adams gets it cleanly.

Reason #1 for the putrid 3.5 per target was Aaron Rodgers not being able to hit the broad side of a barn today.

Adams dropped a couple, and cost himself a big day on one of those drops. Cobb had a big drop too. Adams also made a beautiful one handed catch.

Rotoworld just posted that Cobb has caught 50% of his targets over the last 6 games, with only one game over 55 yards.

In all honesty, Rodgers is playing like crap. That 2 point conversion to Adams should have been an easy conversion. Instead Rodgers doesn't lead Adams out into the open space ahead of him, and that allows the defender to make a play on the ball as it arrived. That play was a microcosm of the game for Rodgers and Adams.
Yeah, I thought the same thing on this play. Rogers gets that ball up 2 feet, Adams gets it cleanly.
Or he could try reaching out and catching it instead of the body catch, which allows the defender to make a play.

Or he could try reaching out and catching it instead of the body catch, which allows the defender to make a play.
It wasn't a great throw but I agree completely. He had his hands on several throws that he couldn't bring in.

I like him for targets and think he will have some nice games but he wasn't very good yesterday.

Lord I hate that comment. It is completely nonsensical and tries to make implications that are completely unsupportable. Yes, as a matter of fact I did watch the game and Adams left a ton of yardage, including two potential TDs and a two point conversion on the field. Rodgers may have been "off" somewhat today but when ascribing blame I think it is Aaron Rodgers who has earned far more benefit of the doubt than any other Packer. Don't you?"Did you watch the game?" Yeesh. :rolleyes:
That was a terrible pass that allowed the defender to make a play on the ball - Adams had the guy beat but Rodgers pass was off the mark - which happened a lot on the day in fact. That's not to say Adams played great either but the 21 targets with poor production (79 yards) is misleading.

shadyridr said:
Yeah he's just a guy. Nothing special
Ladsud said:
Turned 21 targets into 79 yards.
shadyridr said:
He doesn't get any separation, he's not fast, not big. Jag
Chaka said:
It is performances like this that validate my opposition to PPR. That wasn't worth 17 points in any format.
Did any of you actually watch the game?
Lord I hate that comment. It is completely nonsensical and tries to make implications that are completely unsupportable. Yes, as a matter of fact I did watch the game and Adams left a ton of yardage, including two potential TDs and a two point conversion on the field. Rodgers may have been "off" somewhat today but when ascribing blame I think it is Aaron Rodgers who has earned far more benefit of the doubt than any other Packer. Don't you?"Did you watch the game?" Yeesh. :rolleyes:
I find giving the "benefit of the doubt" to Aaron Rodgers lazy analysis. I also think the narrative of the posts I copied were misleading and smacked of box score scouting.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger supporter of Aaron Rodgers than myself. However, just because the guy has been one of the greatest QBs of his time doesn't mean he should be given a pass for the way he's played for most of this season.

I've already given one example of how a Rodgers failure to lead Adams on the two point conversion being the reason for that incompletion. Throw it past Adams toward the sideline, and Adams has separation and the defender can't put his hand on the ball as it arrives.

There's a couple more examples that come to mind as well.

On one of the TD's you suggest he should of scored, Adams was running down the right sideline. As he neared the goal line, Adams soared high over the defender. Its a common play in the NFL. The ball was short, and Adams had to reach around the defender to try to catch the ball. Without seeing the play again, I don't remember exactly why it was incomplete, but I think the ball hit the defenders arm at the same time Adams was trying to snatch it around him. If that ball is placed 4 feet higher there is no way the defender can make a play on the ball, and its an easy TD for Adams.

There were numerous disconnects along the sideline as well. On one occasion that was fairly typical, Adams ran his route to the defender roughly 10 yards off the LOS. He turned, and in so doing, boxed the defender away from any pass between Adams and the sideline. Its a timing route, so the ball was thrown before Adams made his turn. It sailed out of Adams reach. I'm not a WRs or QBs coach. I don't know who gets blame for those plays falling incomplete. Did Adams miss his route by a yard? Did Rodgers throw an errant pass by a yard? For most of the year, I've been thinking its the WRs. I'm really having second thoughts about that now. By Bob McGinn's account, Rodgers threw at least 8 off target passes to open WRs. Many of them weren't even close.

Randall Cobb caught 72% of his targets last year and averaged over 10 yards/target on the season. This year, he's caught 57% of his targets on the season, and it's trending downward at less than 50% over his last 6 games. Outside of the one big catch and run play he made last week vs Carolina, Cobb is averaging 4.7 yards/target over his last 6 games on 49 targets. Cobb caught 5 of 10 targets yesterday. 4 of 12 last week. That's 9 catches on 22 targets. Davante Adams caught 10 or 21 yesterday.

I don't think Adams had a great game yesterday by any means. Reality is though, that Rodgers is completing 56% of his passes over his last 4 games, and frankly not playing well.

Was my tv the only one that showed Rodgers get crushed by an unblocked LB on the 2 pt pass? #12 didn't play great, but give him a break on that one.

Adams isn't anything special. Big part of the problem is they're asking him to run Jordys sideline routes and he isn't good enough to do so. Huge underrated part of Jordys game are the many acrobatic 11 yard catches he makes near sideline.

Hands: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000579822/Packers-Davante-Adams-one-handed-catch-for-11-yards

Separation: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000579766/Packers-Aaron-Rodgers-to-Davante-Adams-for-18-yards

Was my tv the only one that showed Rodgers get crushed by an unblocked LB on the 2 pt pass? #12 didn't play great, but give him a break on that one.

Adams isn't anything special. Big part of the problem is they're asking him to run Jordys sideline routes and he isn't good enough to do so. Huge underrated part of Jordys game are the many acrobatic 11 yard catches he makes near sideline.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015111501/2015/REG10/lions@packers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000580214&tab=videos

It was a bad throw. Yes a LB hit him just after the throw, but that's a throw that should be made and is done so routinely in the NFL. Watch the video all the way through the 3 views. The third is the best look. Adams has the defender by a multiple steps. He had to wait for the ball to arrive, which allowed the DB to get his hands on it at the catch point.

Again, I'm not saying Adams was great yesterday. But this narrative that he isn't talented enough to get separation or make plays is just flat out wrong.

Still way down in FBGs rankings this week (although Bloom has yet to post his). Its an above avg matchup difficulty wise, but IMO he sticks out like a sore thumb as being low. Nearly a dozen WRs higher than him that I dont understand.

Still way down in FBGs rankings this week (although Bloom has yet to post his). Its an above avg matchup difficulty wise, but IMO he sticks out like a sore thumb as being low. Nearly a dozen WRs higher than him that I dont understand.
I agree. He's clearly Favre's favorite target and Green Bay's number one. 21 targets last week. And 36 over the past two. He and Rodgers are going to get on the same page eventually and there's going to be a monster game. The 150 yards w/ two touchdown variety. As long as he's getting the targets, I'm going to have him in my lineup for when that happens.

Hard for me to decide between bunch of targets low production Adams or low target great production diggs
I know its hard to remember all the way back to week 9, but Adams went 7/105 on 11 targets. (he got 12 yards deducted from his yardage for being part of a lateral on the last play of the game).

I don't hate the Diggs play this weekend, but I think ADP is gonna get the ball about 30 times this weekend. Packer secondary has been a bit up and down. CB Damarious Randall is beatable, but is looking very good for a rookie. He's one of their better players already. Clinton-Dix had his best game as a pro last week. Shields is a fine CB, and Hayward is back in the slot CB role that he excels at. I don't see it as a big passing day at all for Teddy.

Hard for me to decide between bunch of targets low production Adams or low target great production diggs
I know its hard to remember all the way back to week 9, but Adams went 7/105 on 11 targets. (he got 12 yards deducted from his yardage for being part of a lateral on the last play of the game).

I don't hate the Diggs play this weekend, but I think ADP is gonna get the ball about 30 times this weekend. Packer secondary has been a bit up and down. CB Damarious Randall is beatable, but is looking very good for a rookie. He's one of their better players already. Clinton-Dix had his best game as a pro last week. Shields is a fine CB, and Hayward is back in the slot CB role that he excels at. I don't see it as a big passing day at all for Teddy.
I agree. I own them both also. And while I'm super high on Diggs in the long run, he only has 5 catches total in his last two games. Until Bridgewater does a better job of getting him the ball, I'm going Adams all the way.

I agree. I own them both also. And while I'm super high on Diggs in the long run, he only has 5 catches total in his last two games. Until Bridgewater does a better job of getting him the ball, I'm going Adams all the way.
Diggs for me and it's not really close.

Curious your thoughts on that as I have both as well...

The Packers are likely to put 8 in the box to stop ADP. They aren't nearly as stout up front as Oakland or St Louis. (the two games where Diggs didn't do well recently). Diggs is likely to see a lot of man to man, and will have some chances to make plays. Having said that, the Packer secondary is far more talented than Oakland and I doubt the game script will lend itself to more than 5-8 targets for Diggs. He's going to have to make the most of his opportunities.

I'm sure the gameplan for the Packers will be far more balanced in targets between Cobb and Adams than it was last week. Captain Munnerlyn will be on Cobb most of the time however, and that's a far tougher matchup than the one Adams will face vs Rhodes and Waynes who have been burned far more this year.

IMO if Aaron Rodgers plays as he has for the last handful of weeks, Diggs is probably a better option. The Packer offense has been at a standstill for large portions of the games, and as we saw last week, if the targets you're getting are sailing high, wide, and skipping to you, it doesn't matter if you get 20+.

I agree. He's clearly Favre's favorite target and Green Bay's number one. 21 targets last week. And 36 over the past two. He and Rodgers are going to get on the same page eventually and there's going to be a monster game. The 150 yards w/ two touchdown variety. As long as he's getting the targets, I'm going to have him in my lineup for when that happens.
Favre's back again?

I own both and think I'm going Adams over Diggs this week :-/

I assume you mean Rodgers, but did you see the game? The announcers were even talking about it, he was targeted so often because Detroit's other corner Mathis was out and they were picking on the new guy. Adams isn't the number 1 there, and that isn't to say he isn't a good play. Rodgers will throw the ball where he thinks he has the mismatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit

#Packers Film: WR Adams must get better at making contested catches. A real problem right now.

#Lions #Packers Film: Lawson did great job against WR Adams in man coverage on perimeter routes. Adams' limited success was on in-breakers.
Nov 19

#Packers Film: Overall Jones, Adams, Cobb and Richard Rodgers continued to struggle getting separation on their own.
Nov 19

#Lions #Packers Film: CB Lawson dominated WR Adams when it was 1 on 1 outside.

#Packers Film: WR Adams had a really tough game. Grew frustrated by Lawsons physicality and missed on what opportunities he did have.

The Packers are likely to put 8 in the box to stop ADP. They aren't nearly as stout up front as Oakland or St Louis. (the two games where Diggs didn't do well recently). Diggs is likely to see a lot of man to man, and will have some chances to make plays. Having said that, the Packer secondary is far more talented than Oakland and I doubt the game script will lend itself to more than 5-8 targets for Diggs. He's going to have to make the most of his opportunities.

I'm sure the gameplan for the Packers will be far more balanced in targets between Cobb and Adams than it was last week. Captain Munnerlyn will be on Cobb most of the time however, and that's a far tougher matchup than the one Adams will face vs Rhodes and Waynes who have been burned far more this year.

IMO if Aaron Rodgers plays as he has for the last handful of weeks, Diggs is probably a better option. The Packer offense has been at a standstill for large portions of the games, and as we saw last week, if the targets you're getting are sailing high, wide, and skipping to you, it doesn't matter if you get 20+.
Trae Waynes is the Vikings cornerback 4. Adams will be dealing with old man Terrence Newman or Rhodes.

Rhodes did get beat by Calvin. Don't recall him being burned otherwise. He has been called for defensive holding quite a bit.

Kenosha's Trae Waynes in backup role for Vikings

Wow. Stopped, or at least didn't fight through the route. Costs his team and QB an int.

Rogers keeps trying with this guy. Can't trust him though. Brutal.

This is my first time seeing this thread or I would have responded sooner.

Adams has never been on the same page as Rodgers. He has always completely sucked, he still sucks, and he will always suck. He is not good value in any format, he just sucks.

Poetic that he had a chance to make up for his horrible game with a tough, contested (but catchable) ball for the TD and game ...

But, per the usual, he couldn't make the catch.

Users who are viewing this thread