What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Trek: Discovery | Premieres September 24, 2017 (1 Viewer)

It's TOS by a country mile over everything else.

TNG is borderline unwatchable. Kids on the Enterprise? Klingons on the Enterprise? A grief counselor? No hard drinking engineer? GTFOH

Kirk would kick Picard's candy ### and still have left overto shag Troi, Troi's mom, Dr. Crusher AND the ghost of that green-skinned chick.

* drops mic *

They can't all be good but I'm hopeful that the trailer was just a poor representation of what the movie will be.

Can they make a Star trek movie without The Enterprise

getting destroyed? Looks good/awesome so I'll see it.

It isn't the trailer for the Star Trek Beyond.

According to the comments from people it was a trailer from an indy film Star Trek Renegades.

Edit to add: Here's the actual trailer, with the real actors in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw
Didn't even look at tHe link. I had just seen the Beyond trailer recently.

Renegades is a film idea backed by Walter Koenig that he is trying to get picked up by Paramount. Seems decent for an independent work but a long shot for him to get it through.

I will see it because I'm a sucker for Star Trek. But I'm reading that the guy that JJ let direct is a Fast and Furious guy. And that the script was reworked a bunch of a times and eventually Simon Pegg lead the team to finish it and they specifically tried to make it a movie set in Star Trek universe instead of a Star Trek movie, which doesn't sound good. Hopefully that is all rumor and that in the end it's a good movie. Would hate for them to make a flop with this new cast.

Seems like they feel like they have to have that big moment in every movie now, which then in turn ruins that moment. It was a big deal when the Enterprise took a beating in the original movies because it didn't happen often. They at times went through several movies without the thing having a shot fired at it. Now every movie it gets blown to within a quarter inch of exploding and it's supposed to have this emotional impact that it misses because we're so used to seeing it.

Same thing with Star Wars and crazy over the top lightsaber battles every 15 minutes of screen time ever since ROTJ ended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing that The Inner Light is unquestionably the best TNG episode and arguably one of the best Star Trek episodes, I think the TNG two part Chain of Command episode is a strong contender for the second best episode of that series and likely top 15 or 20 of all time. I think it was possibly Patrick Stewart's best performance among any of the episodes. I think the duet between him and his interrogator, David Warner, was very compelling.

I only watched the first couple episodes of Voyager but couldn't get past how annoying Janeway was and couldn't continue.
TNG will always be my favorite because I grew up with it. DS9 was brilliant though. Voyager was solid/average. It had truly fun moments but there was a lot of meh. Enterprise had the potential to be really great but it was always missing something. And the original is just that - the original. No problems with it at all given its time and space when released.

I would be game a new TV show though. Even a new Enterprise crew with Admiral Riker sending them off on their journeys.

I only watched the first couple episodes of Voyager but couldn't get past how annoying Janeway was and couldn't continue.
TNG will always be my favorite because I grew up with it. DS9 was brilliant though. Voyager was solid/average. It had truly fun moments but there was a lot of meh. Enterprise had the potential to be really great but it was always missing something. And the original is just that - the original. No problems with it at all given its time and space when released.I would be game a new TV show though. Even a new Enterprise crew with Admiral Riker sending them off on their journeys.
Probably be Admiral Wesley Crusher.

Seems like they feel like they have to have that big moment in every movie now, which then in turn ruins that moment. It was a big deal when the Enterprise took a beating in the original movies because it didn't happen often. They at times went through several movies without the thing having a shot fired at it. Now every movie it gets blown to within a quarter inch of exploding and it's supposed to have this emotional impact that it misses because we're so used to seeing it.

Same thing with Star Wars and crazy over the top lightsaber battles every 15 minutes of screen time ever since ROTJ ended.
Well the fact that they have been willing to blow up the Enterprise in the past which means we don't really know if it will blow up again or not. Heck since it's an alternative timeline they could even kill off a crew member if they wanted to (I'm looking at you Mr. Chekov).

Knowing that The Inner Light is unquestionably the best TNG episode and arguably one of the best Star Trek episodes, I think the TNG two part Chain of Command episode is a strong contender for the second best episode of that series and likely top 15 or 20 of all time. I think it was possibly Patrick Stewart's best performance among any of the episodes. I think the duet between him and his interrogator, David Warner, was very compelling.
THERE...ARE...FOUR...LIGHTS!

TNG will always be my favorite because I grew up with it. DS9 was brilliant though. Voyager was solid/average. It had truly fun moments but there was a lot of meh. Enterprise had the potential to be really great but it was always missing something. And the original is just that - the original. No problems with it at all given its time and space when released.I would be game a new TV show though. Even a new Enterprise crew with Admiral Riker sending them off on their journeys.
IIRC He's off exploring alternate universes and stuff with Max Headroom.

I don't know if I agree that Inner Light was the best episode. Darmok and Jelad at Tennagra is damn good and the one with the parasites that took over Star Fleet was really really good.

I don't know if I agree that Inner Light was the best episode. Darmok and Jelad at Tennagra is damn good and the one with the parasites that took over Star Fleet was really really good.
That episode (Darmok...) was also Ashley Judd's first role, so in addition to being the "always be closing" of TNG, its got an extra trivia kick to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
the one with the parasites that took over Star Fleet was really really good.
That one never did anything for me. Seemed like something they were going to explore further but then realized it was lame and let it die.
The internet rumor is that that episode was supposed to be the beginning of the Borg and the homing signal that was sent at the end was to the rest of the Borg, but somewhere along the way they changed the parasites into assimilates.

Yankee23Fan said:
Chaka said:
Yankee23Fan said:
That one never did anything for me. Seemed like something they were going to explore further but then realized it was lame and let it die.
The internet rumor is that that episode was supposed to be the beginning of the Borg and the homing signal that was sent at the end was to the rest of the Borg, but somewhere along the way they changed the parasites into assimilates.
Was this the last episode of season 1 or 2? The one where the freakin puppet alien is found inside the torso of the officers? If so, it was one of the worst episodes, IMO. Absolutely hated it. It felt cartoonish.

Yankee23Fan said:
Chaka said:
captain_amazing said:
Indonagree about the Darmok episode. It is definitely top 5 TNG, arguably top 3. I have no qualms with anyone placing it as number 1 either.

Yankee23Fan said:
Chaka said:
Yankee23Fan said:
Was this the last episode of season 1 or 2? The one where the freakin puppet alien is found inside the torso of the officers? If so, it was one of the worst episodes, IMO. Absolutely hated it. It felt cartoonish.
Yup. The whole super advanced space slug/parasite thing has always been a weird concept to me. They can't build or pilot space vessels but they are an existential threat to the Federation? Nope.

As much as the early seasons of TNG are made fun of now (great plot in the parasite episode, very poor execution) they did some good stuff like The Defector. Q Who was one of the few really outstanding early episodes that ranks up there with the later great ones like Darmok or Inner Light or Chain of Command. Introduced the Borg of course, but really showcased how nasty Q could be before they turned him into comic relief. For later episodes not often talked about, I'm also partial to The Wounded which introduced the Cardassians and saw Chief O'Brien show he had acting chops.

DS9 had great episodes too, The Visitor is on the shortlist of my favorite episodes in television ever.

Voyager was trash, they had so much potential with the Maquis crew but quickly turned them into Starfleet goodytoeshoes. Introducing the Borg was fun, but they quickly ruined them with overexposure and terrible plotlines. As the flagship for UPN, Paramount went for special effects and explosions for ratings and the quality really suffered and started the decline. There's a reason Ron Moore (Battlestar reboot genius) stated he could only stomach working two episodes for Voyager.

Enterprise had potential but couldn't stop the downward spiral started by Voyager and UPN's quest for ratings and trying to appeal to the "mainstream" and casual viewers.

Beat me to it. I use this line randomly for different things ... wife just shakes her head.
IIRC He's off exploring alternate universes and stuff with Max Headroom.
Yep.
DS9 had great episodes too, The Visitor is on the shortlist of my favorite episodes in television ever.
LOVE this episode. Great story, great acting and heart wrenching. Also, it has Tony Todd.

Awesome but I really wish it wasn't CBS.  Would love to see FX, AMC or even if SciFi could somehow hearken back to whatever mojo the found to make Battlestar Galactica so awesome before the network became all about Sharkzillas and what not.
An AMC version would be ridiculous.  Or HBO or showtime.  But CBS owns the rights to the entire franchise, and they probably want to bring in the audience they built with the recent movies.

I think CBS did he original series though, so I'm not worried.

An AMC version would be ridiculous.  Or HBO or showtime.  But CBS owns the rights to the entire franchise, and they probably want to bring in the audience they built with the recent movies.

I think CBS did he original series though, so I'm not worried.
It's not that I am worried, I know you can only do so much with Star Trek (no zombie head shots, foul language and the like) but I still think a cable network would be able to explore some of the guaranteed themes that will be retrod (as they are by all television series) with a little more depth and nuance.

The article didn't say anything about the Star Trek Universe time frame that the new series will occur.

Everyone should also know that the series will premiere on CBS, but subsequent episodes will be streamed from CBS Digital.

The article didn't say anything about the Star Trek Universe time frame that the new series will occur.
Yea, that really interests me.  I have to imagine they will be working on the alternative universe in the new films, and I'd guess it would be in Kirk's time but perhaps a different ship.

This has disaster written all over it.

I could buy the streaming only thing if Netflix was doing it.  But CBS?  I'd have enough concerns over CBS even if it were on TV, streaming will be a disaster.  Even if it's good, they'll just freak out that there aren't as many people streaming it as their greedy executives had wet dreams over, make them change it to be a super action romp, and then cancel it when that doesn't bring in any new fans (what ever does?) and scares off all the ones they had left.

Streaming only is a mistake.  I'm cool with them wanting to test the waters, but there still are people out there who have minimal interest in streaming.  Maybe they should do some sort of streaming it first and then showing it on network or something like that. 

Users who are viewing this thread