What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Trek: Discovery | Premieres September 24, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Watching DS9 (just started seasons 7).  Never realized the same actor played Weyoun and Brunt.  One of my favorite characters in the series.  Garak is unquestionably my favorite.  

Among many topics, one thing I've always struggled with in the series is determining the physical strength of species relative to each other.  Here's what I assume in terms of the order of strength of species:

Android (data)

Borg

Klingon

Hunters

Jemhadar 

Vulcans

Gorn

And then a group that is of similar strength:

Humans

Romulans

Cardassians

Xindi (obviously different species mixed in here)

Andorians

Betazeds

Trills

And then Ferengi, although there is a reference of them being exceptionally strong (kind of like how dwarves are perceived as in fantasy realms).

Watching DS9 (just started seasons 7).  Never realized the same actor played Weyoun and Brunt.  One of my favorite characters in the series.  Garak is unquestionably my favorite.  
Jeffrey Combs is all over Star Trek.  The two roles you mention, he was Shran on Enterprise, a Ferngi character on an episode of Enterpise, and a character on an episode of Voyager.

Jeffrey Combs is all over Star Trek.  The two roles you mention, he was Shran on Enterprise, a Ferngi character on an episode of Enterpise, and a character on an episode of Voyager.
He's a great recurring actor in the series.  

As i watch the series' over and over, I see more and more recurring actors.  I knew of several already, but there are many more than I previously realized.

Lots of commercials today during football.  A little geeked out, commercials look good, better than the trailer. Forgot premier was tonight!

Among many topics, one thing I've always struggled with in the series is determining the physical strength of species relative to each other.  Here's what I assume in terms of the order of strength of species:

Android (data)

Borg

Klingon

Hunters

Jemhadar 

Vulcans

Gorn

And then a group that is of similar strength:

Humans

Romulans

Cardassians

Xindi (obviously different species mixed in here)

Andorians

Betazeds

Trills

And then Ferengi, although there is a reference of them being exceptionally strong (kind of like how dwarves are perceived as in fantasy realms).
Way late responding but Romulans would be slightly ahead of Vulcans, same genetic ancestors, but Romulans okay with giving in to their emotions like anger. :nerd:

I'm late responding too but Vulcans are considerably stronger than Klingons.  The young, reborn Spock in Star Trek III threw the Klingons attempting to restrain him around like twigs.  

. . . but great subtopic, cap. :thumbup:  

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a great recurring actor in the series.  

As i watch the series' over and over, I see more and more recurring actors.  I knew of several already, but there are many more than I previously realized.
Tony Todd is my favorite. Worf's brother but his best episode is The Visitor playing an adult Jake on DS9. I know people love The Inner Light, but The Visitor is best Trek ever, IMO.

I enjoyed episode 1. Will stream #2 tonight.

Klingon intro was fantastic. Not a fan of the new captain though.

I'm in going forward.

I was a little underwhelmed, the decision to make Sasha raised by the Vulcans wasn't a good one IMO. They made her character too stilted and "trying" to be logical, her dialogue especially early on was just too dry (as guessed in previous posts about the first trailer, almost everything in that trailer was in the first 10~30 mins.) I did like the rest of the cast and characters though, especially some of the naïve optimism/typical Starfleet attitude of the junior bridge officers.

Amazing production values, even better than the recent movies IMO. But they have almost totally reinvented the Klingon's here and that was a turnoff to me as a longtime fan, not sure why they just didn't come up with a whole new race. The ending was trying to be a cliffhanger and entice you to go signup to watch the next episode but just felt way too abrupt.

Also one major complaint, the very first commercial break they did a commercial for the new streaming service with future scenes and gave away WAY too much. And then proceeded to show even more teasers every break after that.

Worth paying for or just wait till it's eventually on Netflix?
Honestly hard to say, they should have aired 2 episodes IMO. Instead they left it on a small cliffhanger and immediately went into a commercial to go sign up for the service to immediately watch episode two. Apparently there is a 7 day free trial for new subscribers, so I am thinking of waiting for the next few episodes to come out and then maybe do the trial.

Service is $9.99 a month with no commercials, $5.99 with limited commercials, IIRC.

Eh, I'm not talking about head ridges, even the art design, ship design, culture, etc. are different. (I did like the new take on the bat'leth.) I guess we are supposed to buy in that the Klingon's are fractured clans at this point (they mention their goal of bringing the 24 houses together multiple times) almost like different nations with different traditions/practices, technology/design asthetics and even different racial characteristics. They do make it a point to mention that the "white" Klingon Voc(sp?) son of none is an outcast because of his skin color.

Honestly hard to say, they should have aired 2 episodes IMO. Instead they left it on a small cliffhanger and immediately went into a commercial to go sign up for the service to immediately watch episode two. Apparently there is a 7 day free trial for new subscribers, so I am thinking of waiting for the next few episodes to come out and then maybe do the trial.

Service is $9.99 a month with no commercials, $5.99 with limited commercials, IIRC.
So stupid.  Who would pay a monthly fee for CBS?

So stupid.  Who would pay a monthly fee for CBS?
They are apparently betting Trek geeks will, but I agree there's nothing in their library I would want to watch. Old CSI or NCIS episodes?  The Brady Bunch? Big Bang Theory reruns that are on like 8 times a day already?

Yep, Disney recently announced they are pulling all their content from Netflix and are going to start up their own streaming service too (I would assume that means all of ABC's content too.) It's going to be a cluster with all these different services out there. My guess is most of them crash and burn and they end up going back to Netflix and Amazon.

Yep, Disney recently announced they are pulling all their content from Netflix and are going to start up their own streaming service too (I would assume that means all of ABS's content too.) It's going to be a cluster with all these different services out there. My guess is most of them crash and burn and they end up going back to Netflix and Amazon.
That's gonna be rough for Netflix. A large portion of their kids content ate Disney movies and shows. They'll survive on the DreamWorks stuff and other homegrown shows but still.

It was kind of the whole point. CBS wanted to start a streaming service, and took a look at what properties they owned they could use to launch around. Trek was the top of the list.

All the networks are doing this in the near future. FOX just removed their entire catalog from Netflix to move to Hulu (which it owns a percentage of). There won't be a single service that owns everything, you'll have to buy into the CBS Bundle, the FOX Bundle, the ESPN Bundle, etc., someday if you want to cut the cord (and, of course, end up paying the same $).
Except I won't.  I'll just pick one or two and the rest I'll live without.

The other CBS Access original, The Good Fight (The Good Wife spinoff) is now on Amazon for $24.99.  I think I can wait for a similar deal.

Not hooked so far. As a prequel, I am not sure the storyline of a big impending war works. That that much to develop characters. Why do we have a new look for Klingons again?

It was kind of the whole point. CBS wanted to start a streaming service, and took a look at what properties they owned they could use to launch around. Trek was the top of the list.

All the networks are doing this in the near future. FOX just removed their entire catalog from Netflix to move to Hulu (which it owns a percentage of). There won't be a single service that owns everything, you'll have to buy into the CBS Bundle, the FOX Bundle, the ESPN Bundle, etc., someday if you want to cut the cord (and, of course, end up paying the same $).
There is a zero percent chance this works for them.  They all wanted to fight and stick with the archaic cable TV model and they let other people beat them to market for streaming.  Now those streaming services are household names and people have chosen theirs already.  It's too late for these dumb networks to try and jump in and think everyone is going to pay for a dozen different streaming services.

I hope cable TV keeps dying and they get stuck putting their mediocre shows on the established streaming services while making a fraction of the money they once did.

FreeBaGeL said:
There is a zero percent chance this works for them.  They all wanted to fight and stick with the archaic cable TV model and they let other people beat them to market for streaming.  Now those streaming services are household names and people have chosen theirs already.  It's too late for these dumb networks to try and jump in and think everyone is going to pay for a dozen different streaming services.

I hope cable TV keeps dying and they get stuck putting their mediocre shows on the established streaming services while making a fraction of the money they once did.
It was pretty arrogant to think they could come in at a price point higher than Prime and Netflix when their content is non existent. They should have tried to go in under $5 or even free to gain traction. No one is paying $10 a month for Star Trek. Not even trekkies. They'll just bootleg a version from over seas.

It was pretty arrogant to think they could come in at a price point higher than Prime and Netflix when their content is non existent. They should have tried to go in under $5 or even free to gain traction. No one is paying $10 a month for Star Trek. Not even trekkies. They'll just bootleg a version from over seas.
totally agree with you. start at a buck for the first 30 days, up to 5 and then play it by ear to see if you get 10. but right now, when so many of us are still with cable bundles AND premiums like netflix, hbo, etc... #### them.

Tony Todd is my favorite. Worf's brother but his best episode is The Visitor playing an adult Jake on DS9. I know people love The Inner Light, but The Visitor is best Trek ever, IMO.
Big fan of Tony Todd as well.  The Visitor is easily the best DS9 episode.

Originally I was all set to pay for CBS access.  We signed up for it a while back in anticipation of the series, then after it was pushed back a few times I cancelled.

I didn't love or hate the episode, but would like to see more.  I just don't think I'm committed enough to pay for it now.

It's BS that you have to shell out $6/month for All Access and there are STILL commercials. Have to pay extra to get rid of those. No way I'm doing that - I'll just sit there and fume for three minutes 4-5 times per episode. 

And maybe it's just me, but I HATE subtitles. I get it, it seems more authentic. Point for the production team there. But Episode 2 is about 25% subtitled Klingons talking to each other. You spend so much time watching the bottom of the screen, you end up missing everything else on the screen, including which character is talking. Drives me crazy, especially because it's just so, so unnecessary. 

I guess I understand why the story launched right into a war out of the gate. Gotta show off all those special effects to keep the mouth-breathers entertained. I just hope the storytelling ends up being good enough to make it worth it. 

Ultimately, I'm just hoping it's better than Enterprise. And for now, I haven't seen anything definitive that makes me think it won't be. 

What I have liked so far

The show's premise

The lead's premise

Where in the timeline they are and their mission

Interaction/history between Sarek and Michael

This latest episode (6)

What I haven't liked so far

Episodes 4-5

The Tardigrade as a navigator with the spores? :rolleyes:

The look of the Klingons

Most of the crew

I really want to like this show and, after the disappointment that was episodes 4/5, at least this episode (6) was good in my book.... :thumbup:

I loved the new episode.  I don't know if they are setting up a long term arc or short term, but lots of possibilities.

If you truly want to geek out, watch The Tholian Web from TOS and In a Mirror Darkly from Enterprise first before this episode of Discovery.

Anyone know if they have gotten a lot of subscribers or not?  I'm still hoping this fails miserably.  (Not the show necessarily, but the network streaming concept.)

I loved the new episode.  I don't know if they are setting up a long term arc or short term, but lots of possibilities.

If you truly want to geek out, watch The Tholian Web from TOS and In a Mirror Darkly from Enterprise first before this episode of Discovery.
oh and as my daughter just reminded me, you should add Mirror Mirror from TOS for some added flavor.  We are going to watch the whole group to get our geek on :)

I'm not used to seeing Trek so serialized. So that's different.
I think on season 3 of Enterprise used a tight arc format.  DS9 had a decent overall arc during the dominion war but even then they sprinkled in a ton of stand alone episodes.

I prefer watching stories rather then stand alone episodes so Discovery has been right up my ally so far even it is is far from perfect.

IMO each week gets better...I loved the last episode and think it's setting some great possibilities with the story line. Especially where they are physically right now!

Did this spin off into another thread, or did the discussion just die?

Using someone else's account, I just started watching this over the weekend, and I am 11 episodes in.

My first thought was this:

It's BS that you have to shell out $6/month for All Access and there are STILL commercials. Have to pay extra to get rid of those. No way I'm doing that - I'll just sit there and fume for three minutes 4-5 times per episode. 
and I'm not paying.

I am enjoying it, it isn't the greatest, but it is Star Trek and I am watching.
I agree with not understanding the need to remake the Klingons again.  It just baffles me.  They also have changed the way they speak, it is the same Klingon language from what I can tell, but the way they speak reminds me of the way Indians speak in westerns.  I don't know, just the delivery. :shrug:

I had to look up the actor that plays Stamets, I knew I knew him from somewhere. Now I can't unsee him as Tony in Dazed and Confused.

Did this spin off into another thread, or did the discussion just die?

Using someone else's account, I just started watching this over the weekend, and I am 11 episodes in.

My first thought was this:

and I'm not paying.

I am enjoying it, it isn't the greatest, but it is Star Trek and I am watching.
I agree with not understanding the need to remake the Klingons again.  It just baffles me.  They also have changed the way they speak, it is the same Klingon language from what I can tell, but the way they speak reminds me of the way Indians speak in westerns.  I don't know, just the delivery. :shrug:

I had to look up the actor that plays Stamets, I knew I knew him from somewhere. Now I can't unsee him as Tony in Dazed and Confused.
:doh:

wow. seems obvious now, but... wow.

I stumbled upon some spoilers recently online for season 1 & 2, nothing I read made me want to try and get a free trial and run through the episodes. If anything, it sounds like they just had to go the same route as what eventually ruined Voyager and Enterprise for me with xxxx xxxxxx plots yet again. Season 3 of Discovery comes out in October I believe. The thread on Picard didn't make that show sound too promising either so still zero interest in CBS streaming.

xxxx xxxxxx = time travel. Also Section 31 featuring heavily again. From the sound of season 3, looks like they possibly may go an Andromeda route by jumping to the future with Starfleet wiped out. Andromeda was originally envisioned as a Star Trek spin off by Roddenberry back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread