What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Trek: Discovery | Premieres September 24, 2017 (1 Viewer)

captain_amazing

Footballguy
Link to post with Star Trek Discovery details.

? What's your favorite series and should a new series be created?

I'm only starting the original series right now, but I've seen the rest of them. I'd personally list them in the following order:

1A - DS9

1B - TNG

2 - Enterprise

3 - Voyager

(TBD) - Original Series

I've always had an affinity for TNG, especially since that's what I grew up watching, but I thought the entire plot of DS9 was extremely compelling. I'd probably give DS9 the top spot by itself if it didn't have such a lackluster ending.

What say you, Trekkies (or Trekkers)?

------------------------------

? Hottest Characters Poll - 2015 Result

Uhura (original) 5%

Troi 5%

Jadzia 10%

Kira 0%

Seven 50%

T'pol 15%

Uhura (new) 15%

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep Space Nine.

Had the best serial story (Jem H'Dahr)

Second most ### kicking Commander behind Kirk

Good flavor characters and moments (Quark and the annual Nagus episode, Bashir and O'Briens obsession with the dart board, Morn, Garek and his obviously ineffective Tailor alias).

I'd have banged the spots off of Terry Farrell. Something about her that I thought she might have been the sexiest Star Trek woman.

It went on for a season or two too long......but it was pretty well done.

Biggest dissapointment was Voyager. They had the ability to do something monumental and it came up limp.

Next Gen took quite a few seasons to hit a stride. The first two at least were cringe worthy. As a whole original followed by DS9 were the best.

FYI - if any of you Trek fans haven't seen TNG on bluray (I think they have up to season 4/5 - working on the rest), it is really pretty amazing. I have seasons 1-3, and the first thing I noticed was how vivid Data's contacts were. You can also see pretty clearly his makeup lines.

They remastered the graphics too, so, like in the crystalline entity episode, the detail is amazing. Lots of great extras too.

I enjoyed all the series(seen every single episode of every series), although Voyager was the weakest imo.

Enterprise is extremely underrated by many fans, especially the last two seasons, but the first 2 were a bit weak unfortunately.

If I had to rank it would be

1) DS9 and TNG

2) TOS

3) Enterprise

4) Voyager

I would love to see a new series, hopefully set in a significantly different time period. I always thought setting it way in the future, where the federation has collapsed and a renegade rouge federation ship has to try and piece the federation back together.

Voyager. Don't care what all the nerds and fanboys say.
I actually liked Voyager quite a bit, but like a previous poster mentioned, I felt like they left a lot on the table, story and plot-wise. But I loved the edginess that came with being isolated from Starfleet rules and regulations, which I thought gave it the most modern feel.

NewlyRetired said:
I would love to see a new series, hopefully set in a significantly different time period. I always thought setting it way in the future, where the federation has collapsed and a renegade rouge federation ship has to try and piece the federation back together.
Are you referring to Star Trek: Federation?

In the end, I wouldn't care what time period, or if it was a remake based on the new timeline... I simply want them to kickstart the television series again. I'd also like it to have the same themes that carried through TNG and DS9 that touched on the human condition, philosophy, etc. but within a more modern setting that's edgy and a little more dark. I'd also like them to expose human flaws more often, rather than placing humans as the role models of the quadrant.

I actually liked them all. But if I MUST choose one, I'd say TNG. It was given a lot of time to flesh things out, whereas some others weren't given as much time and could have surpassed it eventually

if they hadn't been cancelled (like DS9 and Enterprise).

I actually liked them all. But if I MUST choose one, I'd say TNG. It was given a lot of time to flesh things out, whereas some others weren't given as much time and could have surpassed it eventually

DS9 had a seven season run, same as TNG and Voyager. It was not cancelled as say Enterprise was. They originally hoped for a 7 season run and got it. They knew at the end of season 6 that they were done after season 7.

Agreed - except DS9 wasn't canceled, I believe.

The main thing with TNG is that it had a star cast. I mean, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Patrick Stewart, Michael Dorn - all terrific in their respective roles. But, every other series (outside of TOS), the cast didn't really pop like TNG. Sure, there were compelling characters in the other series (Garek, Phlox, etc.), but no collection like TNG. Put the cast of TNG in a plot like DS9, mix in some of the compelling characters from the other series, and you have yourself a series that would give most fans wood.

TNG but thats because I grew up on it. DS9 and Voyager had a lot more adult directed plots which were highly entertaining. Original series is good for historical purposes. Enterprise had some good but a lot of recycled storylines.

Voted DS9, but I had difficulty choosing. I've pretty much loved/liked every one of them, to degrees. I was 4 years old when the original aired, but watched re-runs of the entire series when I was a 12/13 year old. The original taught me a great deal about acceptance, equality and cooperation. It made an impact on my life during some of my formative years when I was learning about the greater world around me. My parents were already teaching me these things, but the original hammered home the notion that all living beings, no matter what galaxy, nationality, race or color, are priceless and worthy of love.

Loved TNG, DS9, and also Voyager. I agree with others that Voyager fell way short of it's potential though. I suppose my least favorite was Enterprise, but I still enjoyed it.

Rody

Watching the original series for the first time (watching episode 11 right now). I really didn't think I'd like it, after growing up with TNG and having watched all of the others first. But, I'm finding it really enjoyable. There's something about the series that is just.... Interesting and alluring.

I'm really looking forward to the movies once I'm done the TV series.

Watching the original series for the first time (watching episode 11 right now). I really didn't think I'd like it, after growing up with TNG and having watched all of the others first. But, I'm finding it really enjoyable. There's something about the series that is just.... Interesting and alluring.

The Original Series has its charm. The movies are what I watched as a kid though. A lot of ups and downs quality wise.

The Original Series has its charm. The movies are what I watched as a kid though. A lot of ups and downs quality wise.
I was trying to think of a way to describe my thoughts on the series, but I think you said it best in that it has it's charm.

TOS - Some great, some godawful. The show really hinges on the great chemistry between Kirk, Spock and Bones

TNG - Patrick Stewart is a tour de force. Brent Spiner is ok as Data - but the rest of the ensemble is god awful. Any Picard-centric story is fantastic, and when the focus on anyone else it's a trainwreck

DS9 - Loved the long-term story arc. Sisko and Kira were often too hammy, but the rest of the cast was pretty strong. Took a while to hit it's stride, but when it did it was up there with TOS and TNG

Enterprise and Voyager - Felt these two never really gelled. I put these well below the top 3.

"The only good show on TV now is Star Trek. I like Captain Kirk and sh!*. Captain Kirk will f@#k anybody. I seen him beam down to a planet...ever see that episode where he f$%ked this green b$tch? You gotta be a horny mofo to f@#k a green b$tch. I mean, I ain't a racist, but if the poosay is green there's something wrong with the poosay. He be f#4king her and music be going dan-dan dan dan dan dan, dan dan-dan-dan-dan..."

Interesting that most of the posts in here put DS9 close to the top but it's losing 3-1 to both TOS & TNG.

TNG is the correct answer btw.

I voted TOS because, well it's TOS!

I also voted yes because there should always be Star Trek on TV.

There are some great comments and thoughts in here. I have seen every episode of every series (including the cartoons) and of course every movie. I grew up when TOS was all we had and when the movies started coming out it was the greatest thing.

I remember crying in the theater when Spock died in Wrath of Khan ... I was 18 and crying in a theater over Star Trek!

When they announced a new series in the 80s I was more than excited. When TNG premiered in '87 I was like a kid in a candy shop and we had this new thing called a VCR and I could record it and re-watch it! Glorious!!!

I've enjoyed each incarnation since. Each series has great episodes and each series has its turkeys, but it's Star Trek and I'll watch. I just wish they were in a heavier syndication rotation. With over 700 episodes and 12 movies they could show each, one after the other, and it would take a month. I want my Star Trek channel!!!

I love that some people are posting in here that they are watching TOS for the first time. Enjoy!

Over the years my two favorite episodes and the most heart wrenching are:

The Inner Light -TNG season 5 where Picard lives a full life on Kataan in less than 30 minutes of real time. The emotions he experiences in that time ...

The Visitor - DS9 season 4 where Tony Todd (love Tony Todd) plays an aging Jake that is visited by his father through the years after an accident on the Defiant.

There are some great comments and thoughts in here. I have seen every episode of every series (including the cartoons) and of course every movie. I grew up when TOS was all we had and when the movies started coming out it was the greatest thing.

I remember crying in the theater when Spock died in Wrath of Khan ... I was 18 and crying in a theater over Star Trek!

When they announced a new series in the 80s I was more than excited. When TNG premiered in '87 I was like a kid in a candy shop and we had this new thing called a VCR and I could record it and re-watch it! Glorious!!!

I've enjoyed each incarnation since. Each series has great episodes and each series has its turkeys, but it's Star Trek and I'll watch. I just wish they were in a heavier syndication rotation. With over 700 episodes and 12 movies they could show each, one after the other, and it would take a month. I want my Star Trek channel!!!

I love that some people are posting in here that they are watching TOS for the first time. Enjoy!

The Inner Light -TNG season 5 where Picard lives a full life on Kataan in less than 30 minutes of real time. The emotions he experiences in that time ...

The Visitor - DS9 season 4 where Tony Todd (love Tony Todd) plays an aging Jake that is visited by his father through the years after an accident on the Defiant.
:goodposting:

The Inner Light may be my favorite episode of all time across all series. Stewart just has amazing chops.

FYI - if any of you Trek fans haven't seen TNG on bluray (I think they have up to season 4/5 - working on the rest), it is really pretty amazing. I have seasons 1-3, and the first thing I noticed was how vivid Data's contacts were. You can also see pretty clearly his makeup lines.

They remastered the graphics too, so, like in the crystalline entity episode, the detail is amazing. Lots of great extras too.
Yeah I need to check his out. Previous video versions were pretty horrible and they did shoot the show in 35mm

Maybe it is me and I bailed too soon? But DS9 always seemed to fall short to me. They gave them this supposed attack warship and it seemed like every time it left dock they got their hat handed to them.

Well being an old fan, I am TOS for life! TNG once it found it's feet was pretty good. DS9 was criminally underrated. Voyager had so much potential but really didn't fulfill it. I really wanted Enterprise to work but it just didn't.

I have TOS ranked with Enterprise after watching most of the TV series. I still have the movies to go, though.

I'm pretty sure I can't truly appreciate TOS. I was talking to my FIL about it and he was saying how he recalled how far ahead the whole idea of Star Trek was when TOS was on. The one thing that's facsinating to me is how most of the plots from TOS were recycled in the other series, which I think is evidence of how far ahead of it's time it really was.

Next Gen for me by a mile mostly because my dad and I watched every single episode together when I was a kid. I didn't watch TOS until well into several seasons of Next Gen so it seemed hokey compared to Next Gen.

DS9 is a close second, TOS 3rd

Voyager came out when I was in college so I don't think I've ever sat through an entire episode to get interested in it.

Unfair pole. Everyone here is 41 years old, so TNG was always going to have a huge advantage, and DS9's females were always going to hit us at the right age.

Unfair pole. Everyone here is 41 years old, so TNG was always going to have a huge advantage, and DS9's females were always going to hit us at the right age.
Again, it's tough comparing anything with TOS, given that it was decades after before the series restarted. But all of the other series were clumped together, so if you've actually watched all of the post-TOS series, I think it's reasonable to compare them, and I think it's pretty clear Voyager and Enterprise don't live up to what TNG and DS9 provided in the combination of cast and plot.

Dax and 7 of 9 were scrumptious for teenage me.
I listened to NPR on my drive into work every morning, and usually catch Marketplace. They reveiw the changes in the various international markets at the end of the program, and whenever the mention Germany's "Dax" (I have no clue if that's how it's spelled), I always think of Dax from DS9.... She was fantastic. I always had a crush on Kes from Voyager too (Jennifer Lien), but things didn't really turn out too well for her...

:goodposting:

The Inner Light may be my favorite episode of all time across all series. Stewart just has amazing chops.
This episode is on BBC America right now. Up late surfing and now catching the last 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread