What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (1 Viewer)

NajehHejan

Footballguy
I've been feeding my female cat purina one urinary tract health dry food because she got two UTIs in 2 years, each at $400+ a pop vet bills. Problem now is the cat pukes constantly, like 3 to 4 times a week. Anyone else have this issue, what can I feed her to prevent uti as well as constant puking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you change her food abruptly? Sometimes that will mess them up and you need to do a mix of old and new till she's used to it (like 25% then 50%, etc) over a few weeks

Agree purina one is garbage though

Oh and cats like to barf alot

Cats are carnivores. Look at the ingredients of the food and you'll see that the cheap store crap is loaded with corn wheat or other carbs.

That said that's most likely not causing the barfing. How big is the kibble of the new food? My cat gobbles the #### out of her food and she would puke when the kibble we gave her was too small simply from eating too fast. We changed her food to kibble that were bigger chunks and it solved the problem. Also has the added benefit of good dental health.

Great stuff in here, thanks all.

Feel a little bad I've been feeding my cat animal by products and filler for so long

But yea I only recently went to a mostly softfood diet. My cats dropped 4 or 5 pounds(they were around 18lbs) and a lot less throwing up. Cats get their water through their food. The throwing up might have been from having to drink a lot of water. Thats what my vet said for mine.

My cat used to puke all the time from dry food. Switched to canned stuff - and the puking has gone down 75%.

Purina One is garbage.

Try Wellness, or Taste of the Wild, or Blue Buffalo
Purina 1 is fine. I have cats that have lived to ripe old ages on 1. And their urinary tract formula made it so the only cat I have had with it never had a second bout. With that said if throwing up is an issue than certainly look for another brand.

Purina One is garbage.

Purina 1 is fine. I have cats that have lived to ripe old ages on 1. And their urinary tract formula made it so the only cat I have had with it never had a second bout. With that said if throwing up is an issue than certainly look for another brand.
its equivalent to feeding your kids hot dogs 3 meals a day for life. yes, some pets can live forever on it, some can't. check the ingredients and the reviews, its not good food.

Purina One is garbage.

I misread that as "lived to the ripe old age of 1.".......

Purina One is garbage.

No, its garbage.

http://www.petfoodratings.org/dry-cat-food/purina-one-smartblend/
Ok anonymous site says so I guess it must be true, is the authors name, or you know qualifications, anywhere on that site? Look I know it isn't some insanely expensive all natural food only touched by young virgin girls. But it is a decent food and my cats seem to like it. Since I started feeding it, on my vets advice, I haven't had a single issue with UTI. Even my cats who are finicky will eat it. And I used to have trouble with throwing up on other brands that is pretty much done.

Purina One is garbage.

I misread that as "lived to the ripe old age of 1.".......
Oldest was 15 to clarify. All have lived to more than 10.

Purina One is garbage.

No, its garbage.

Ok anonymous site says so I guess it must be true, is the authors name, or you know qualifications, anywhere on that site? Look I know it isn't some insanely expensive all natural food only touched by young virgin girls. But it is a decent food and my cats seem to like it. Since I started feeding it, on my vets advice, I haven't had a single issue with UTI. Even my cats who are finicky will eat it. And I used to have trouble with throwing up on other brands that is pretty much done.
Do a google search and you'll see a ton of the same, except on purina's site of course.

The ingredients are the ingredients, and there is a laughable amount of actual meat in purina ONE. Cats are carnivores. They are meant to eat meat. I'm sure you're an excellent cat owner since you managed to raise healthy cats on this food. But that does not change the fact that it is bad food for cats.

Purina One is garbage.

No, its garbage.

Do a google search and you'll see a ton of the same, except on purina's site of course.

The ingredients are the ingredients, and there is a laughable amount of actual meat in purina ONE. Cats are carnivores. They are meant to eat meat. I'm sure you're an excellent cat owner since you managed to raise healthy cats on this food. But that does not change the fact that it is bad food for cats.
:goodposting: brewer's rice and corn gluten aren't good.

Been to 3 different vets with multiple doctors. They all said use purina one above regular purina and other standard kibble.

Another note about vets. A lot of them are paid to endorse certain brands of food. It's really kind of sad since many of them are on the poor end in terms of nutrition. If a vet is recommending Purina One though, find another vet.

Another note about vets. A lot of them are paid to endorse certain brands of food. It's really kind of sad since many of them are on the poor end in terms of nutrition. If a vet is recommending Purina One though, find another vet.
I'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

We have two cats that are about coming up on a year old. Adopted them back in October. We leave them dry food during the day, refilling the bowl when needed, and give them some wet food in the morning and then around when we eat dinner. Both are pretty standard brands but I'm not sure off hand which right now. When I was looking into the wet food, one thing I did learn was to make sure an actual meat/fish was listed among the top two ingredients. So that part is covered. The rest I was relying on my wife since she grew up with cats and allegedly knows what the hell she is talking about.

They eat the food and the litter box indicates it's going through them well. They haven't puked since we first got them. What else do I need to know, and any other pointer sites?

We have two cats that are about coming up on a year old. Adopted them back in October. We leave them dry food during the day, refilling the bowl when needed, and give them some wet food in the morning and then around when we eat dinner. Both are pretty standard brands but I'm not sure off hand which right now. When I was looking into the wet food, one thing I did learn was to make sure an actual meat/fish was listed among the top two ingredients. So that part is covered. The rest I was relying on my wife since she grew up with cats and allegedly knows what the hell she is talking about.

They eat the food and the litter box indicates it's going through them well. They haven't puked since we first got them. What else do I need to know, and any other pointer sites?
You're doing fine. If your cat is not barfing, or defecating/pissing outside the litter box, or clawing up the furniture, nothing else to really worry about.

You're doing well. Even the worst of the cheap wet foods is better than 99% of the bad dry foods so you're good there. You have the right idea in looking for meat high in the ingredients list. This also has the added benefit of less #### to clean out of the litter box. With the bad dry foods, cats need to eat more to get the amount of protein they need, and eating more equals more ####ting.

The way to check if a cat is overweight is to look from above. Here is a handy chart.

Went with Wellness brand at Petsmart. It was close between them and Blue Wild. Got 5 oz of dry and 6 cans of wet for $32. Big sticker shock, I am used to paying less than $10 for the equivalent crap food. If I can prevent the cat from vomiting on the beds and carpets I guess it will be worth it.

You're doing well. Even the worst of the cheap wet foods is better than 99% of the bad dry foods so you're good there. You have the right idea in looking for meat high in the ingredients list. This also has the added benefit of less #### to clean out of the litter box. With the bad dry foods, cats need to eat more to get the amount of protein they need, and eating more equals more ####ting.

The way to check if a cat is overweight is to look from above. Here is a handy chart.
Thanks. They're brothers and started out the exact same size, and after a few months, one had a major growth spurt and the other just grew a bit. They're both in proportion and the smaller one doesn't look skinny or under-fed, just...smaller. Pretty weird how that can happen. The little ******* is the one instigating the fights and always eats from his brother's food bowl, of course.

Can anyone convince me why I should buy a $40-$50 water fountain for my cat, which will also include future costs for replacing the filters, as opposed to the tried and true method of fresh tap water daily from the kitchen sink?

Can anyone convince me why I should buy a $40-$50 water fountain for my cat, which will also include future costs for replacing the filters, as opposed to the tried and true method of fresh tap water daily from the kitchen sink?
If you're extra lazy, you only have to change it every month or so.

We have a gravity fed water cooler looking dish; Le Bistro (3 gallons). We have four cats and a dog that share the water. We clean and refill about every 4 days. Water is from the tap.

Insein said:
Fariq said:
A cat once puked on my ear.
Thats on you. They usually give you time to hear it coming .
I was sleeping. The cat was on the bed with me.
Still on you. You probably didnt wake up to feed him fast enough so hebpuked on you.
Well, yeah, the puke was indeed on me. It was on my ear. I was 11 or 12 years old at the time. I didn't normally feed the cat and the incident happened shortly after I went to sleep. It was not near a feeding time.

Users who are viewing this thread