Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NajehHejan

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time

For the first time in the 13 years we have had our worthless cats they killed something.  And it wasn't even a mouse, but my 7 year sons pet lizard that escaped when our toddler knocked over the lizards cage.  My son is now on my side that house cats serve no purpose.  

My 18 year old Russian Blue is driving me crazy. Literally I am at wits ends with this cat. He has always been extremely OCD--so if there was just a little hole in his dry food dish, he would let you know about it--just meowing and talking . And he is smart enough that if you went over and kind of kicked the dish so the food redistributed and closed the hole, he would walk over and eat and eat and make another hole in the food. Same thing with the water--it must be to the brim and it should have ice in it for this to be acceptable to him.

Every night he gets a small scoop of wet food and he goes absolutely crazy (like the loudest howling you can imagine) until he gets it.  What is going on now is I think he has gone senile. You feed him and then he goes and lays down and the next time I go in the kitchen he thinks it is time to eat again and does the whole loud crying performance.

He does the same thing throughout the day with the regular food--everything is full and he will come over and get us and like a sheep dog as you are walking, he impedes your path and herds you to his dish. Then it like clicks in his head, he eats and is fine. He still has a great appetite. He drinks a lot, but we know he is in the early stages of renal failure and we have him on special prescription food for that. I haven't ruled out diabetes as that seems to be common in these big boys, but taking him to the vet is such a traumatic process, I am afraid it will kill him at his age. My last cat that I had before him, died in my lap on the way to the vet--that was a day I will never forget and I don't want to repeat with him.

Other than this, you would never know he is 18. He runs around the house like a fool. When one of us is gone, he will sit and stare at the door until his family is all in one room again.  He does have a very unhealthy obsession with a stuffed My Little Pony doll. That is his girlfriend and we don't dare try and get in the way of "Pony Love" time.

• Like 5

On 5/22/2015 at 1:00 PM, El Floppo said:

we use a combination of handheld vacuum and roller tape for the fur on furniture (along with regular brushing)

been having decent success with TidyCats litter

Flop, you posted this last year when I asked about tips for grooming (we love the Furminator, which was posted about here) and keeping hair off furniture. Do you, or anyone else, have a particular recommendation on a vacuum, either full or handheld? We have no carpet/rugs, just looking for something to handle hardwood floors and counters/coffee table. The amount of hair we constantly see floating in the air around the apartment is gross. 

I don't care at all about keeping the floor clean of general dirtiness. We do a good enough job of that with Swiffer/broom but nothing is a match for one of our cat's shedding. 

Anyone use the disposal litter trays? We went away from clay because the long hair started tracking more and more. The crystals are a pain to switch out at the end of their cycle. Thinking of a disposable option...

Unhappy to report I'm bringing in our 15 year old to the vet once again. As mentioned in other posts he has a history of penalizing our weekend visits to a summer cabin by crapping all over the floor. To his credit, that has been the extent of it and I always told the wife "well, at least he doesn't pee and we can just carpet clean this." To my disappointment, what began 2 weeks ago as a pee incident in one room has cascaded into systematic closing off the bedroom, new target, closing off kids bedroom. new target, closing off the basement. I've got no interest in giving affection at this point as I view that as ok'ing this miserable conduct. With each closed space, we get a moodier cat and vindictive reaction of finding a new space. He'd been good for 1 day and I re-opened my basement for a couple hours for him to roam last night and gave some affection, but closed it off over sleeping hours because I'm not an idiot. Opening it again this AM, he walks right in and pees not 10 feet from me. Love the cat, but I don't think I can tolerate this even if the vet says he's fine. There's been no changes to anything in his care, I think he's just become a senile and angry old cat. 

On 5/28/2016 at 9:03 PM, Courtjester said:

My 18 year old Russian Blue is driving me crazy. Literally I am at wits ends with this cat. He has always been extremely OCD--so if there was just a little hole in his dry food dish, he would let you know about it--just meowing and talking . And he is smart enough that if you went over and kind of kicked the dish so the food redistributed and closed the hole, he would walk over and eat and eat and make another hole in the food. Same thing with the water--it must be to the brim and it should have ice in it for this to be acceptable to him.

Every night he gets a small scoop of wet food and he goes absolutely crazy (like the loudest howling you can imagine) until he gets it.  What is going on now is I think he has gone senile. You feed him and then he goes and lays down and the next time I go in the kitchen he thinks it is time to eat again and does the whole loud crying performance.

He does the same thing throughout the day with the regular food--everything is full and he will come over and get us and like a sheep dog as you are walking, he impedes your path and herds you to his dish. Then it like clicks in his head, he eats and is fine. He still has a great appetite. He drinks a lot, but we know he is in the early stages of renal failure and we have him on special prescription food for that. I haven't ruled out diabetes as that seems to be common in these big boys, but taking him to the vet is such a traumatic process, I am afraid it will kill him at his age. My last cat that I had before him, died in my lap on the way to the vet--that was a day I will never forget and I don't want to repeat with him.

Other than this, you would never know he is 18. He runs around the house like a fool. When one of us is gone, he will sit and stare at the door until his family is all in one room again.  He does have a very unhealthy obsession with a stuffed My Little Pony doll. That is his girlfriend and we don't dare try and get in the way of "Pony Love" time.

our 20 year old female Tabby (Trouble) does the exact same thing. The howling  is enough to wake the dead. She seems like she might be deaf so we think maybe that is why she is so loud...???

She still has good energy and plays. Absolutely loves (hates?) the laser pointer and has a catnip banana she loves to cuddle with.

Holy allergies.  What is the best way to clean a home where cats previously lived.  There are new carpets here and I am still wheezing my balls off.  Serious question.

5 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Unhappy to report I'm bringing in our 15 year old to the vet once again. As mentioned in other posts he has a history of penalizing our weekend visits to a summer cabin by crapping all over the floor. To his credit, that has been the extent of it and I always told the wife "well, at least he doesn't pee and we can just carpet clean this." To my disappointment, what began 2 weeks ago as a pee incident in one room has cascaded into systematic closing off the bedroom, new target, closing off kids bedroom. new target, closing off the basement. I've got no interest in giving affection at this point as I view that as ok'ing this miserable conduct. With each closed space, we get a moodier cat and vindictive reaction of finding a new space. He'd been good for 1 day and I re-opened my basement for a couple hours for him to roam last night and gave some affection, but closed it off over sleeping hours because I'm not an idiot. Opening it again this AM, he walks right in and pees not 10 feet from me. Love the cat, but I don't think I can tolerate this even if the vet says he's fine. There's been no changes to anything in his care, I think he's just become a senile and angry old cat. 

Happier now to report there is a medical reason, which may be treatable. His thyroid reading is 9.5 ug/dL and the normal range is .8 - 4.7. Not thrilled with the treatment options (best fix is some $1500 1-time shot). He throws up pills so I went with some sort of lotion. Hopefully this works... 

• Like 1

good luck, Jim.

happy for you, I guess,  that you have a sick cat instead of a vindictive cat.

57 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

good luck, Jim.

happy for you, I guess,  that you have a sick cat instead of a vindictive cat.

Thanks GB. I probably should have given it the countdown from 100 before posting this AM. The longer term pooping is definitely still vindictive. It's just his style. He's the alpha of all alphas who has little tolerance for anyone or anything that is not catering to his needs. 

On 5/28/2016 at 11:13 PM, Mrs. Rannous said:
On 5/28/2016 at 6:10 PM, sports_fan said:

5 months old, about 9 lbs at last checkup

http://i.imgur.com/vzozrUH.jpg

That is one majorly fluffy tail.  It really filled out, didn't it?

Yeah it's kind of out of control.

http://i.imgur.com/BaDx8Jb.jpg

• Like 1

our new tabby tore a nail off (we think trying to climb our patio fence) at some point over the weekend. I came home in the afternoon and walked into what looked like some kind of terrible horror slasher movie massacre, with bloody footprints all over the place. I start looking for him, figuring he's buried under something and taking care of himself... only to find him chasing a fly in the corner- seemingly unconcerned by his paw- and leaving a path of bloody murder behind him.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 6:10 PM, sports_fan said:
On 3/27/2016 at 4:07 PM, sports_fan said:
On 2/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, sports_fan said:

Got a little kitten about week ago. His paws seem big for his size

http://imgur.com/tWcwxu2

http://imgur.com/cd8y2bB

He's growing up fast!

http://imgur.com/FStpfd7

http://imgur.com/WVR11cs

5 months old, about 9 lbs at last checkup

http://i.imgur.com/vzozrUH.jpg

8 months old

http://i.imgur.com/xNEtbPo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dw0sMgB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AvtxdAh.jpg

• Like 3

On June 22, 2016 at 1:40 PM, El Floppo said:

our new tabby tore a nail off (we think trying to climb our patio fence) at some point over the weekend. I came home in the afternoon and walked into what looked like some kind of terrible horror slasher movie massacre, with bloody footprints all over the place. I start looking for him, figuring he's buried under something and taking care of himself... only to find him chasing a fly in the corner- seemingly unconcerned by his paw- and leaving a path of bloody murder behind him.

What's the prognosis?

will it grow back?

2 hours ago, RokNRole said:

What's the prognosis?

will it grow back?

yes.

Very sad day...have to put down our 20 year old Tabby, Trouble. She was doing really well up until recently and the must have had a minor stroke. Really went downhill last night and cant even get up or move much....must have had another stroke.

Great, great kitty! Going to be very hard on my GF as she was 18yo when she found Trouble as a stray....:cry:

Edited by JoeSteeler

so sorry Joe- rip Trouble. 

condolences to your GF- and good on her for taking in a stray and giving her a loving home. 20 years!

• Like 1

Aw, sorry for your loss.  Pics?  (Of the cat, not the girlfriend.)

• Like 1

Do any of you put covers on the top/back of your sofas/love seats/recliners so your cats don't rip them to shreds?

Our bengal Bruno officially has feline Sterile Cystitis.  He's been a little stressed out since moving to Portland.    We are in a small house where he access to all the windows to the outside.  He was stuck in a condo on the 4th floor back in Chicago.   All the smells and sights have made him want to do nothing else except try to go outside.   Besides the squirrels, crows and other birds there are definitely neighborhood cats around and I think this is making him feel threatened and stressed out.    He started peeing right outside the litter box and we found blood.   Took him to the vet and they said it wasn't an infection and there no signs of crystals, just an irritated lining of his bladder. 

I guess this fairly common among indoor, young, male cats.   So he's on some pain meds and he's also on prozac for a short period of time to calm him down.   We are moving back into a fairly isolated condo in Porland later this month so maybe that is going to help the situation.

Video of bruno taking to the birds:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BHbKAwPhqNYpmXwj9gfUaSzNx18vKgArntJw1Q0/

11 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Our bengal Bruno officially has feline Sterile Cystitis.  He's been a little stressed out since moving to Portland.    We are in a small house where he access to all the windows to the outside.  He was stuck in a condo on the 4th floor back in Chicago.   All the smells and sights have made him want to do nothing else except try to go outside.   Besides the squirrels, crows and other birds there are definitely neighborhood cats around and I think this is making him feel threatened and stressed out.    He started peeing right outside the litter box and we found blood.   Took him to the vet and they said it wasn't an infection and there no signs of crystals, just an irritated lining of his bladder. 

I guess this fairly common among indoor, young, male cats.   So he's on some pain meds and he's also on prozac for a short period of time to calm him down.   We are moving back into a fairly isolated condo in Porland later this month so maybe that is going to help the situation.

Video of bruno taking to the birds:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BHbKAwPhqNYpmXwj9gfUaSzNx18vKgArntJw1Q0/

link isn't working.

have you tried therapy for bruno... I don't trust the drugs [/tom cruise]

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Do any of you put covers on the top/back of your sofas/love seats/recliners so your cats don't rip them to shreds?

:(  I've just resigned myself to the fact that my furniture is always going to look like ####.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

1 hour ago, Spike said:

:(  I've just resigned myself to the fact that my furniture is always going to look like ####.

I completely wrap my sofa in double-stick tape... you've seen cats with tape on their paws- it freaks the hell out of them and keeps them off the sofa.

Sorry for your loss Joe.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

We keep a blanket draped over one arm of our couch that was getting a lot of abuse. That's about it. Any more damage is a "whatever" thing...

Thanks for the posts, everyone.

I need to come up with something because we're about to get a new cat and, here in Mass, you can no longer have them declawed.  So, when our new cat DOES rip something up, my wife will say to me, "Why did the cat do that?"  (This sort of thing is inevitable.  Anything wrong done results in her doing this.)

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I need to come up with something because we're about to get a new cat and, here in Mass, you can no longer have them declawed.  So, when our new cat DOES rip something up, my wife will say to me, "Why did the cat do that?"  (This sort of thing is inevitable.  Anything wrong done results in her doing this.)

Great news...declawing cats is horrible. Hopefully this spreads to all states

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simey said:

What a pretty girl. Sorry for your loss, Joe.

Thank you 

On 9/9/2016 at 1:31 PM, El Floppo said:

I completely wrap my sofa in double-stick tape... you've seen cats with tape on their paws- it freaks the hell out of them and keeps them off the sofa.

I use that Sticky Paws tape on chairs and sofa, and it works for the most part. My cats like to use those cardboard scratching posts, but they also chew on them and spit out cardboard, and it makes cardboard confetti all over the floor. I just got this in the mail today to try out. My cat, Archie, loves this cat tree. I bought an extra large perch from Armarkrat to replace one of the perches so he can stretch out more when he wants, but he also likes to lay on one of the perches that came with it that I put at the very top.

Edited by simey

I forgot to mention that this cardboard cat lounge has never been destroyed by my cat's teeth. It is just hard to find in local stores now, but chewy.com has it for a cheaper price than other places.

On September 9, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Spike said:

:lol:

We only have one cat who scratches furniture - unfortunately he's expert at it.  Other than him, we've been lucky that they are good about using scratching posts and such.  Just get a variety of other stuff for him/her to scratch instead and you might be fine.

So sorry for your loss, dorno.  I'm with Mrs R and would love to see pics of sweet Frank.

Sorry about your loss.  We're on the edge of losing the 2nd of two brothers, at 16 years old.  Diabetes, pleurisy, arthritis.  Drugs are working against each other.  He's hanging tough but losing weight rapidly.  Barely gets around.

My card-playing buddies came over Wednesday night.  We'd been used to him coming down to the basement to join us (everybody yells "Marty!" like "Norm" from Cheers) and we'd pull him up a chair to sit at the table with us.  He hadn't been able to do that for about a month but made a surprise appearance this week.  Sat up in the chair like normal and let everybody love on him, then limped back upstairs.

• Like 3

I think Shadow and his laser eyes may be up to something.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dorno said:

Can i haz him?

Anything to stop the constant baby talk and tiny meow callbacks I had to listen too all morning.  Though I'm pretty sure her adult cat is already plotting the little ones death.