What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (1 Viewer)

I'm so sorry.  Do you have any pictures to share?
Yeah here is one of him and another with his buddies when they were young (the other 2 passed a few years ago)

http://imgur.com/BkKiV9t
http://imgur.com/cHMzogx

He was 15 and caught an upper respiratory infection from our new kitten.   I think he had some other stuff going on as well, so the combo was too much to overcome.   I could have tried emergency hospitalization but at his age I just didn't want to put him through it

Yeah here is one of him and another with his buddies when they were young (the other 2 passed a few years ago)

http://imgur.com/BkKiV9t
http://imgur.com/cHMzogx

He was 15 and caught an upper respiratory infection from our new kitten.   I think he had some other stuff going on as well, so the combo was too much to overcome.   I could have tried emergency hospitalization but at his age I just didn't want to put him through it
15s a great run. Lots of years and memories. Rip Rodney.

15s a great run. Lots of years and memories. Rip Rodney.
Yes great memories of him randomly biting me while petting him, licking me while I slept so that it caused skin lesions and incessant meowing to be fed 20 minutes before my alarm clock would go off

There really were no redeeming qualities about him, although there were some pretty good cat wrestling matches in his early years

With all that said was still sad to see him go

Yes great memories of him randomly biting me while petting him, licking me while I slept so that it caused skin lesions and incessant meowing to be fed 20 minutes before my alarm clock would go off

There really were no redeeming qualities about him, although there were some pretty good cat wrestling matches in his early years

With all that said was still sad to see him go
So... memories, at least.

I've mentioned our old 19-year-old  Russian blue throughout this thread and he is still kicking (but I am really frustrated with him).

After he broke/dislocated his toe,  we've had to keep him on the main level of the house because he doesn't do stairs well anymore. As an elderly cat, he also was getting very skinny,  so my wife said we're going to feed him wet food three times a day. Now he loves this and is gaining weight, but he thinks his first meal needs to be at 5:00 AM. So he commences, like clockwork, to howl and cry like a freaking foghorn and wakes up the entire house (heck, probably half the neighborhood).  He won't stop until my wife feeds him. It doesn't count if I feed him he will just keep howling or pacing until he sees both of us in the room together. 

Now during the week this isn't too bad because we get up at 6 AM anyway, but on the weekends when we would like to sleep in till maybe 8 o'clock, it is a pain.

My big worry is  we set the clocks back soon and I am afraid he is going to start howling at 4 AM. 

We have tried feeding him right before bed so maybe he wouldn't be as hungry and it just doesn't work. This is all about my wife and I being in the room with him while he eats his morning food and nothing else will do.

True story, I fed him a whole can of fancy feast at 5 AM on Saturday. After he ate it, he sat in the same spot (while I tried to sleep on the couch), staring at the staircase and didn't move for 3 hours waiting for my wife to come down. He does the same thing at night and waits by rhe door until I get home as well.

He has lived such a good life and frankly love is the only thing keeping him alive at this point. I could never bring myself to put him down but it is really hard some days to be operating at work on minimal sleep because of your cat

I've mentioned our old 19-year-old  Russian blue throughout this thread and he is still kicking (but I am really frustrated with him).

After he broke/dislocated his toe,  we've had to keep him on the main level of the house because he doesn't do stairs well anymore. As an elderly cat, he also was getting very skinny,  so my wife said we're going to feed him wet food three times a day. Now he loves this and is gaining weight, but he thinks his first meal needs to be at 5:00 AM. So he commences, like clockwork, to howl and cry like a freaking foghorn and wakes up the entire house (heck, probably half the neighborhood).  He won't stop until my wife feeds him. It doesn't count if I feed him he will just keep howling or pacing until he sees both of us in the room together. 
I have a cat that often starts hollering at the crack of dawn to be fed, and so I pick him up and put him in the bathroom until I get up for good. Some mornings, however, he will run from me so I can't pick him up, and so I am chasing him around the house until he falls on his back and surrenders. I think he thinks it is funny, but I don't.  At that point I am pretty much awake, but I still put him in the bathroom, and go lay back down for a bit. I can hear him on the counter in the bathroom trying to turn the doorknob. Little  :censored:   I think he has Russian blue in him. This is a recent pic of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a cat that often starts hollering at the crack of dawn to be fed, and so I pick him up and put him in the bathroom until I get up for good. Some mornings, however, he will run from me so I can't pick him up, and so I am chasing him around the house until he falls on his back and surrenders. I think he thinks it is funny, but I don't.  At that point I am pretty much awake, but I still put him in the bathroom, and go lay back down for a bit. I can hear him on the counter in the bathroom trying to turn the doorknob. Little  :censored:   I think he has Russian blue in him. This is a recent pic of him.
You realise that's a game for him, right?

I have a cat that often starts hollering at the crack of dawn to be fed, and so I pick him up and put him in the bathroom until I get up for good. Some mornings, however, he will run from me so I can't pick him up, and so I am chasing him around the house until he falls on his back and surrenders. I think he thinks it is funny, but I don't.
It's kind of funny.  

Looking for some advice here because we're pretty stuck.  We have two cats at home and I've posted about them before...both in the 4-5 year old range. One of them drives me crazy by meowing in my face by 5:45 every morning and is the one I probably asked for more advice on in the past, while the other is pretty chill. But today I'm talking about the chill one.

Through living in a couple different apartments, I never really remember him having problems using the litter box. Up until probably the very beginning of 2017, the litter box was in our spare bedroom. In preparation for our daughter being born and her taking that room, we moved the litter box into our second bathroom (some context - a 2 BR/2 BA in Hoboken NJ...bigger than NYC apartments but we're not talking huge space. Probably about 1050 sf total, and besides the 2BR/2BA the rest of our space is an open kitchen/living room and a closet with a washer/dryer). So that's the start of when I remember him having problems ####ting in the box. He would pee in there fine, but many days I would find #### in our bath tub. We heard that we should fill the tub with about an inch of water to stop him from going in there. He would just #### on the floor instead. It wasn't every time, but more days than not. As my daughter got older and we needed to start using that bathroom to give her baths, we moved the litter box in a little bit of extra space around our washer/dryer so we could close that bathroom door and not have to worry about them jumping in the tub, getting it dirty, or ####ting in it obviously. But he would still crap in front of the litter box on a mat we have laid out to capture the litter that they would track. I'll note here that we have tried multiple litters now, and also have tried the Tidy Cats "Breeze" system with those dehydrating pellets. Results were the same. He'd pee in there fine, occasionally #### in there, but mostly would go outside the box. Nothing good about that really, but we could handle it as long as we'd get to it early morning and we generally were able to keep our rapidly more mobile daughter from getting near it.

Fast forward to last week. I'm away for work and my wife sends me an early morning pic of a pile of #### right smack dab in the middle of my daughter's fenced-in play area in our living room. I had never seen him even jump in there before. It happened again the next day, and when I was home a couple days later, I watched him jump in to try and do it again but I got him out. Of course it's happened a few more times since, always in the morning.

This new practice is our last straw. I have no idea how we can possibly solve this and I feel like it's only inevitable that eventually he'll jump in there and take a dump while she's in there also, and she can get to it. We have to do something before that happens. I don't think he's sick in any way. He eats, he drinks, he runs around, he pees fine, etc. I feel like this is all about losing his initial space in the original location of the litter box, losing more space in our living room first with a small gated area and now a larger one as my daughter has gotten bigger, and literally ####ting in the middle of it is a good indicator of that.

Is there something we're not thinking of? My mother in law is begrudgingly going to let us leave him with her starting Saturday on a temporary basis until we can figure something out. I just don't know what that would be without giving him up, and frankly I don't know who would take a cat that is ####ting all over the place. But our daughter comes first and I'm not risking the chance of her eating some cat #### so all options are on the table. 

Appreciate ANY advice. Thanks. 

Still don't get why people love cats.
All my likes. 

If we trace back my involvement in this thread, this started because my wife always had cats as a kid and always wanted them as an adult. She joked that my agreement to get them was a condition of marriage. I always said...let's wait until we have a nice sized house, we're stable with a couple kids, etc but of course I relented. As we were having to adjust to having them around when our daughter was a newborn, I made a lot of "told you so" jokes but we're at the point unfortunately where she legitimately regrets not listening to me and I take absolutely no enjoyment out of being right.

And me not being able to enjoy that last part is a real ####### travesty. 

Some cats have issues sharing the same litter box with another cat.  Jackson from My Cat From Hell says you should have +1 more than the number of cats you have.  I think that is overkill, but we do have two different litter boxes for our 2.

Some cats have issues sharing the same litter box with another cat.  Jackson from My Cat From Hell says you should have +1 more than the number of cats you have.  I think that is overkill, but we do have two different litter boxes for our 2.
Never been an issue for us. Three different sets of pairs. But it certainly can't hurt.

How many litter boxes for two cats?
We had two, went down to one for a while, tried two again somewhat recently. No difference yet. Is it recommended that they be side by side or as far apart as possible?

If this particular cat was wanting more of his own, would they telepathically figure that out between them?

edit: To be clear, I'm asking seriously. 

We had two, went down to one for a while, tried two again somewhat recently. No difference yet. Is it recommended that they be side by side or as far apart as possible?

If this particular cat was wanting more of his own, would they telepathically figure that out between them?

edit: To be clear, I'm asking seriously. 
I think they are supposed to spread out, but ours are right next to each other in the same room.

Cats are tricky and known to be fickle, at that. 

Ive had some of the same issues with one of my two cats - both are generally really well behaved. They are pretty good about not clawing those of us without fur, don't push #### off tables, and enjoy playtime and cuddling (one on his terms, as he doesn't like to be held much but when he wants head bunts, it's all cuteness - the other is a cuddle bug who loves it)...

They are 3 and 4, and the cuddler has never, to my knowledge, pooped out of the box (Hope). Her brother, Blu, had been great but then began to use the tub, as we had their box in the bathroom. 

I THINK it's mostly a question of cleanliness, especially the urine smell. We use the tidy cat with dehydrating big pellets and the pee pad below, and when I replaced the old boxes with new ones, suddenly he was back to pooping only in the box.  I even went out of town for three days and only one poop was outside the box, probably cause they were getting full by then (now have someone to check on them if I'm gone more than two days).

How often did / do you clean the pee pads?

I think they are supposed to spread out, but ours are right next to each other in the same room.
We had two on different bathrooms. We now have three as I replaced one with two new ones but kept the larger one in the other room.

they seem to both be pooping in the two new ones now, may use the other to pee sometimes but don't want to get rid of it cause hints are going well. 

And if you don't like cats, that's on you Bub - they are awesome. 

The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat I think, just in case.  We tried to go down to just one and our newest cat let us know that wasn't ok by peeing in our lasagna one night.  

Our cats are funny about it too. Stella has claimed one of the litter boxes and uses it for both pee and poo.  She even bullies our other cat, Thomas Jefferson, sometimes when he goes poo in it. So he has learned to poo pretty quickly.  Thomas Jefferson uses one for just pee and the other for poo when he's not being chased out of it by Stella.  

Cats are tricky and known to be fickle, at that. 

Ive had some of the same issues with one of my two cats - both are generally really well behaved. They are pretty good about not clawing those of us without fur, don't push #### off tables, and enjoy playtime and cuddling (one on his terms, as he doesn't like to be held much but when he wants head bunts, it's all cuteness - the other is a cuddle bug who loves it)...

They are 3 and 4, and the cuddler has never, to my knowledge, pooped out of the box (Hope). Her brother, Blu, had been great but then began to use the tub, as we had their box in the bathroom. 

I THINK it's mostly a question of cleanliness, especially the urine smell. We use the tidy cat with dehydrating big pellets and the pee pad below, and when I replaced the old boxes with new ones, suddenly he was back to pooping only in the box.  I even went out of town for three days and only one poop was outside the box, probably cause they were getting full by then (now have someone to check on them if I'm gone more than two days).

How often did / do you clean the pee pads?
Twice a week, since they say to replace them each week and I figured I should halve that with two. Last night I put a fresh one in and he still #### in the living room this morning. 

RUSF18 said:
we moved the litter box in a little bit of extra space around our washer/dryer
I think this is your problem.  You've trapped your cat in a tiny space where he does not feel safe to poop.  Try to imagine doing your business when you feel tense and hunted.  The cat probably thinks Pennywise is behind the dryer.  Get an open or semi-open box in a clear space and see if that helps.

I think this is your problem.  You've trapped your cat in a tiny space where he does not feel safe to poop.  Try to imagine doing your business when you feel tense and hunted.  The cat probably thinks Pennywise is behind the dryer.  Get an open or semi-open box in a clear space and see if that helps.
This is a good point.

And despite your saying he’s in good health, sometimes it can be hard to know what’s going on beneath the surface.  I’d take him to the vet to get it checked out, too, before declaring him incorrigible.  

This problem started and persisted for about 9 months when we had the box in a nice sized bathroom. He started using the tub instead, then moved to the floor once we filled the tub with some water. 

The rule of thumb is one litter box per cat I think, just in case.  We tried to go down to just one and our newest cat let us know that wasn't ok by peeing in our lasagna one night.  
:lmao:  

dammit. they're such #######s. :lmao:

ours have had no problems sharing the litter, although the boy ends up scratch-scratching for a good 5 minutes. completely goes to town scratching litter, the box, anything he can reach. I wonder if he's just trolling the other one who might have to go too.

the other one (mookie) is the more aloof of the two- not a puppy jumping on everybody like lilo, but still very lovey with us (on her terms). she does this thing only with me every morning after she gets her breakfast- carries one of her toys just in front of me as I'm getting dressed, waits to make sure she's got my eye contact and then gives a couple of very small bat-bat-bats to the toy with one of her paws... then looks back up at me. she knows I'm a sucker for spending time I don't have in the morning playing with her after that.

Twice I have witnessed my two cats peeing together right after the litter box has been changed. I think they may be spending a little too much time together.
Cats immediately make a bee line to a freshly changed litter box. It must be a requirement.

Still don't get why people love cats.
I grew up a dog person as I had no experience with cats.  My wife was a cat person.  We got a dog together a year before we married and then a cat a month before (and two more since).  I'm still a dog guy at heart, but cats are freaking cool.  The dog died at 14 years old and we finally had to put down that first cat last year at 20 years old.  I cried more when the dog died, but for some reason it still surprised me at how much I cried with the cat.  I miss that guy a lot.

That said, one of the advantages of the cats is their typical low maintenance relative to dogs, and I unfortunately just found out last week that that's no longer the case for one of our two cats.  Six years ago, we were at a lake house we rented for a weekend and it turned out that sometime before we got there, someone had dumped off a bunch of cats they no longer wanted near the lake.  The things were starving and there were two kittens in the group.  One of the people living nearby took in one of the kittens, and we decided to take the other one home with us.  My wife jokes that she has a eating disorder because of that experience, and that little tiny thing is now a whopping 19 lb furball.  She recently started drinking and urinating excessively so we took her to the vet and found out she has diabetes.

I never realized what a pain that is for owners.  We have to give her an insulin shot twice a day, about 12 hours apart.  We're not supposed to skip any, so if we're out of town even for a weekend, we either have to get someone to come in and give her her shots or have her boarded at the vet.  So far she has responded well to the shots and a switch from dry food to wet, so there's some hope that it could go into remission after she's been on the insulin for a while and loses some weight. 

She's a great cat, and we'll do what we have to do, but you don't usually count on this kind of maintenance for a cat.

Obligatory photo.  Taking over my son's bed after he got up this morning.  :heart:

So far she has responded well to the shots and a switch from dry food to wet, so there's some hope that it could go into remission after she's been on the insulin for a while and loses some weight. 
When I was younger my family had a cat named Chuggie, and she had diabetes, but went into remission and never had to have insulin again. We also had a cat named Syd, and he got diabetes and needed shots for life. 

RIP our Russian Blue Ash--20 years of just absolute wonder he brought our family.

He had been battling face abscesses for the past 6 months and last month they thought it was a tooth root problem, but they drained his face and said it didn't appear to be dental. He came back strong and the vet said he was an incredibly healthy 20 year old cat (even though he was diagnosed with renal failure 5 years ago). They said at his age, even if it was dental, there is no way they would chance dental surgery for him. 

The last three weeks he was amazing--just eating us out of house and home. Then Saturday, he swelled up again. We managed to take that one down with a series of warm compresses and he came back like gangbusters again--until Wednesday. Something clicked inside him and he fell off a cliff-health wise. He stopped eating and drinking. He was peeing and pooping wherever. Friday he lost the ability to walk and when he would try, he could get three-four steps and he would just literally fall over with a thud. Took him in on Saturday and the vet said he would go on his own soon, but couldn't say when. We just couldn't watch him basically starve and dehydrate away. I got to hold him as they did it and he didn't even flinch throughout.

I found him 20 years ago in a mom and pop pet store running around the store. I was the first one to hold him when he was 8 weeks old and I was the last face he saw Saturday.

My daughters are 18-13. Coming home from the hospital with each--the first videos were with him. Every holiday, birthday he was involved. He wasn't a cat. He was a member of this family and the void he has left is crushing. It is amazing how quiet it is in the house now. The whole family just talked to him all the time.

As I posted on here earlier, he dislocated his big toe on his back foot a year or so ago and he had this peculiar clicking from his nails when he walked on the hardwood floors. I can still hear it in my head--I just wish I could hear it in person again. :cry:

RIP Ash... Sounds like an amazing guy and a huge part of the family...so sorry for your loss :(

Fwiw our last one had some growths on his face- bone cancer.

RIP Ash. You lived a long great life filling those around you with love and joy. 

Gotta go hug my cats now, its dusty in here.

RIP our Russian Blue Ash--20 years of just absolute wonder he brought our family.

He had been battling face abscesses for the past 6 months and last month they thought it was a tooth root problem, but they drained his face and said it didn't appear to be dental. He came back strong and the vet said he was an incredibly healthy 20 year old cat (even though he was diagnosed with renal failure 5 years ago). They said at his age, even if it was dental, there is no way they would chance dental surgery for him. 

The last three weeks he was amazing--just eating us out of house and home. Then Saturday, he swelled up again. We managed to take that one down with a series of warm compresses and he came back like gangbusters again--until Wednesday. Something clicked inside him and he fell off a cliff-health wise. He stopped eating and drinking. He was peeing and pooping wherever. Friday he lost the ability to walk and when he would try, he could get three-four steps and he would just literally fall over with a thud. Took him in on Saturday and the vet said he would go on his own soon, but couldn't say when. We just couldn't watch him basically starve and dehydrate away. I got to hold him as they did it and he didn't even flinch throughout.

I found him 20 years ago in a mom and pop pet store running around the store. I was the first one to hold him when he was 8 weeks old and I was the last face he saw Saturday.

My daughters are 18-13. Coming home from the hospital with each--the first videos were with him. Every holiday, birthday he was involved. He wasn't a cat. He was a member of this family and the void he has left is crushing. It is amazing how quiet it is in the house now. The whole family just talked to him all the time.

As I posted on here earlier, he dislocated his big toe on his back foot a year or so ago and he had this peculiar clicking from his nails when he walked on the hardwood floors. I can still hear it in my head--I just wish I could hear it in person again. :cry:
Sorry for you loss. Losing a pet is losing a part of the family is crushing but does get better with time.  Hang in there.

We just couldn't watch him basically starve and dehydrate away. I got to hold him as they did it and he didn't even flinch throughout.
So sorry for your loss. I've had to do this twice (including once last year) and they were the most tear jerking experiences of my life. I wouldn't have had it any other way though, as I hated the idea of a pet leaving this world alone after all of the joy/memories they gave me. 

Thanks to you all for your kind words.

We have had a lot of people suggest we adopt and start over, but we are real hesitant because we don’t feel like the new cat would get a fair shot. I mean, maybe it is weird, but I worry we wouldn’t appreciate the amazing individual that every cat is because we would be so busy saying,”Ash never acted like this.”  It would be selfish on our part to do this right now.

I have the utmost admiration for people who foster animals and rehab them for their forever homes. I don’t know how they do it. I would become so attached, I wouldn’t want to let any animal go. 

I think we are going to wait and heal and if the time is right in the future, we will jump back in.

Here is our boy:

https://imgur.com/a/2lsGQN7

Thanks to you all for your kind words.

We have had a lot of people suggest we adopt and start over, but we are real hesitant because we don’t feel like the new cat would get a fair shot. I mean, maybe it is weird, but I worry we wouldn’t appreciate the amazing individual that every cat is because we would be so busy saying,”Ash never acted like this.”  It would be selfish on our part to do this right now.

I have the utmost admiration for people who foster animals and rehab them for their forever homes. I don’t know how they do it. I would become so attached, I wouldn’t want to let any animal go. 

I think we are going to wait and heal and if the time is right in the future, we will jump back in.

Here is our boy:

https://imgur.com/a/2lsGQN7
We waited a bit too, even though we were all jonesing for a new furry friend.

And lol... Love that pic of Ash- hilarious pose.

Users who are viewing this thread