What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (1 Viewer)

Oh, she's gorgeous!!  How are things going now?
Thanks! Things are going pretty well. She’s  started to regularly explore at night even though she’s still hiding during the day - last night she finally used her litter box, thank goodness. When she’s out and about we have been brushing & petting her and she really likes it. She’s afraid of her new home but isn’t really afraid of us.

It seems like she’s been drinking some water but we haven’t actually seen her do it, so we got her some super watery chicken baby food. She wolfed it down and is currently passed out under the bed. :lol:   We also have some feliway spray on the way, which we’re going to use in her favorite hiding spots - hopefully that eases her up a bit more.

Youngest just got the kitten that she’s always wanted . What’s food good for kittens, she was on purina kitten chow 
I know some popular, quality brands are Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and Hill’s Science Diet - I assume all three of them have their own kitten chow, I’d recommend looking into those.

You seem mad, bro.  Here's to another 10 years of no interaction.
Bad weekend. Overly sensitive to be people trying to either be #######s or funny. At least the other guy quoted Monty Python. You came into the thread with what intention other than being antagonistic?

Bad weekend. Overly sensitive to be people trying to either be #######s or funny. At least the other guy quoted Monty Python. You came into the thread with what intention other than being antagonistic?
No more dog threads from me to you.

BeSafe

I know some popular, quality brands are Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and Hill’s Science Diet - I assume all three of them have their own kitten chow, I’d recommend looking into those.
I could be wrong but I don't think Hill's is considered a quality brand

Not trying to rake you over the coals for it but it would be similar to posting the Browns super bowl odds this year in the Steelers thread. I am a huge dog lover and GF and I have 3 (along with 3 cats) but just an annoying thing to do and really no good reason to do so.

Have a good night - way past my bed time. I was sleeping earlier but my 13 year old lab mix woke me up to go out. 🐕

OMG, guys.  Ray Barboni's kitty is the cutest.  Those eyes!  Wow, he looks so smart.  His name is Conner, for those who want to keep him in your kitty TPW.   :)
My little man told me it was time to go yesterday 😢

Hardest decision I’ve ever had to make, but I know it was the right one.

3 months after the initial diagnosis. We both fought hard, and had some really great moments during that time - so the meds, the needles and the constant struggle was well worth it. 

I’ll miss you forever dude, thank you so much for choosing me to be your dad.  Love you.

Rest In Peace, I’ll see you again one day I promise. 

Conner 

Feb. 12th 2004 - June 4th 2019 

My little man told me it was time to go yesterday 😢

Hardest decision I’ve ever had to make, but I know it was the right one.

3 months after the initial diagnosis. We both fought hard, and had some really great moments during that time - so the meds, the needles and the constant struggle was well worth it. 

I’ll miss you forever dude, thank you so much for choosing me to be your dad.  Love you.

Rest In Peace, I’ll see you again one day I promise. 

Conner 

Feb. 12th 2004 - June 4th 2019 
Sorry for your loss Ray always brutal saying goodbye.

Thanks! Things are going pretty well. She’s  started to regularly explore at night even though she’s still hiding during the day - last night she finally used her litter box, thank goodness. When she’s out and about we have been brushing & petting her and she really likes it. She’s afraid of her new home but isn’t really afraid of us.

It seems like she’s been drinking some water but we haven’t actually seen her do it, so we got her some super watery chicken baby food. She wolfed it down and is currently passed out under the bed. :lol:   We also have some feliway spray on the way, which we’re going to use in her favorite hiding spots - hopefully that eases her up a bit more.
Here are 3 cat toys that i've found work

Da Bird:                        https://www.amazon.com/GoCat-Cat-Feather-Assorted-Colors/dp/B000F9JJJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492120895&sr=8-3&keywords=da+bird

Cat dancer wire toy:       https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-022CD01-101-Original-Toy/dp/B008Y4P7JI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492120759&sr=8-2&keywords=cat+dancer

Cat dancer rainbow        https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Dancer-Charmer-Interactive-RAINBOW/dp/B00MAGEP5S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1492120759&sr=8-6&keywords=cat+dancer

...........but If you only get 1 thing…..go buy the Da Bird toy (and get some refills too)
We have 3 cats and have to hide it in the closet.  My bengal cat loves it so much and even knows the word "bird" when i say it as he will run to the closet.  

Another suggestion:         
Squirrel Buster Standard Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABGSX4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We bought this and hung it from our gutter right outside one of windows.......our 3 cats love to sit and watch the birds come to the feeder as well as the squirrels that clean up the seed that falls to the ground.    Instant entertainment that never gets old.

My boy has something similar to the cat dancer and he loves it. .We have to keep it in the closet also because it is his third one. RIP the other two. You can say "play" and he sits in front of the door like a a bird dog and won't move. You get it out and he runs off with the whole thing down the hall and stuffs the toy (stick and all) wherever he can hide it.  

So my cat has kidney failure.  Need to start giving fluids (but not by mouth, under skin on his back or something - vet will go over it with me).  Anyone have any experience with this?  Realistically, how much time do we have? 

True story - I got the cat from Lorena Bobbitt's niece. 

Science Diet K&D really helped prolong our boy’s life after diagnosis, but it really depends on how far along the disease is. 

We also had constant ice in his cat bowl which seemed to encourage drinking—at least it worked with him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So my cat has kidney failure.  Need to start giving fluids (but not by mouth, under skin on his back or something - vet will go over it with me).  Anyone have any experience with this?  Realistically, how much time do we have? 

True story - I got the cat from Lorena Bobbitt's niece. 
I lost Dale Earnhardt McNulty to kidney failure. We went to the Daytona 500 in 1998 (the only one Dale Sr. won) and when we left the race there was this little abandoned tiger kitty in the parking lot. We took him home to Miami. He was a great cat and my first real pet. Anyway, when he turned about 16 he started really putting on alot of weight. Then he would drink and go pee in the box repeatedly, over and over. I used to let him drink running water in the bathroom sink. When he couldn't get up there anymore and had accidents all over I took him in for his final destination. The vet said I was doing the right thing, not easy. I wept like a baby. Good luck!

Well, that escalated quickly.  Boo boo hasn't been eating the last few days.  Vet had us do a "poor man's kidney dialysis" deal where we lay him down and put about 100 cc's of fluid in him each night, but all he's doing is peeing all the time - but still not eating and withering away to nothing.  I picked him up this morning and he's just skin and bones.  Just lays down all day and clearly not happy, though not in obvious pain.  We have an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning where we'll very likely say goodbye.

Well, that escalated quickly.  Boo boo hasn't been eating the last few days.  Vet had us do a "poor man's kidney dialysis" deal where we lay him down and put about 100 cc's of fluid in him each night, but all he's doing is peeing all the time - but still not eating and withering away to nothing.  I picked him up this morning and he's just skin and bones.  Just lays down all day and clearly not happy, though not in obvious pain.  We have an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning where we'll very likely say goodbye.
Well, I was typing a response about our previous cat (spoilers) who we were giving 200cc every other day, then my computer crashed and I saw this update. We did it for a year. Hopefully your cat is comfortable.

As an update on a post I made two months ago:

One of my cats was diagnosed with a severe case of feline gingastomatitis.  They want to pull ALL of her teeth. Any have experience with this or a similarly toothless cat? Why is it the good cat that always has health problems, the jerky one is invulnerable. 
She had all her teeth pulled except her lower canines a month ago (apparently they looked ok). I was worried she would be miserable, but she did not seem worse immediately after surgery, and now that she has recovered she is much more present and obviously happier. She used to just hide out in a dark corner or the garage 90% of the time. I wish I did it sooner, but it is done now. 

Well, I was typing a response about our previous cat (spoilers) who we were giving 200cc every other day, then my computer crashed and I saw this update. We did it for a year. Hopefully your cat is comfortable.
A year?!  We've only done it 3 times, at 100 cc each time.  I couldn't imagine doing it for a full year.  He doesn't seem to mind it at all, tears me up (brings up some memories/feelings of my kid in a hospital last year - might want to see someone about that). 

I just had to put down my little guy. Kidney failure. He was 15. The original diagnosis was back in February, drastic weight loss, hospitalized for 4 days. 

Brought him home and did the SubQ fluids, prescription diet, kidney supplements and appetite stimulants. 

He passed ~2 weeks ago. It was a ton of work, but I’d do it all over again. 

Not everyone has the time or patience though, do what you think is best for your fur ball. It’s sucks. And it’s how he/she is going to go anyways - just a matter of time. 

Sorry about your friend 

The prescription diet really did wonders though. Hills K/D wet food ... my guy wouldn’t eat at all, but loved this food.

A year?!  We've only done it 3 times, at 100 cc each time.  I couldn't imagine doing it for a full year.  He doesn't seem to mind it at all, tears me up (brings up some memories/feelings of my kid in a hospital last year - might want to see someone about that). 
Yea, eventually that amount of fluid overtook his heart and he went into heart failure, he was 10 I think when we had him put down. It was just part of our night routine, warm the stuff up, my wife would hold the cat while I hold the IV bag. It seemed like it was working until the end. I thought we might be doing it for 5 years since he seemed like he was doing ok with it, but then his heart gave out and he declined rapidly.

I just had to put down my little guy. Kidney failure. He was 15. The original diagnosis was back in February, drastic weight loss, hospitalized for 4 days. 

Brought him home and did the SubQ fluids, prescription diet, kidney supplements and appetite stimulants. 

He passed ~2 weeks ago. It was a ton of work, but I’d do it all over again. 

Not everyone has the time or patience though, do what you think is best for your fur ball. It’s sucks. And it’s how he/she is going to go anyways - just a matter of time. 

Sorry about your friend 

The prescription diet really did wonders though. Hills K/D wet food ... my guy wouldn’t eat at all, but loved this food.
I didn't get to post earlier about how sorry I was to hear this, Ray.  You can rest easy at night knowing you did everything you could for him with all your efforts you shared on here. You are a great cat dad.

Mattyl hang in there...kidney disease is just so terrible because their minds are still so willing, but their bodies just won't cooperate. 

In some happier news, we're now up to 8 cats. Yes, that's right. Joe, the guy who's never had a cat now has EIGHT. Thanks to @simey for the help.

And full disclosure, they're all Feral Cats from the Feral Cat program in our area. So they're virtually no work. I just feed them and keep their water bowl full.

They're starting to be more bold and be around a lot more. Although they still won't let me get within 50 feet of them. 

I have a bet with my son I'll have one I can pet in a year. 

They're pretty fun. We have a big barn and lots of sheds and woods for them to roam in. 

I’ve had two cats where we did it for over a year. It actually got very easy, especially if there are two of you.  I hope your guy hangs around a lot longer; not giving up hope on him!

I didn't get to post earlier about how sorry I was to hear this, Ray.  You can rest easy at night knowing you did everything you could for him with all your efforts you shared on here. You are a great cat dad.

Mattyl hang in there...kidney disease is just so terrible because their minds are still so willing, but their bodies just won't cooperate. 
Thanks pal .. it was rough. I’ve cleaned up/out most of his things - but I still leave his “I’m sick” bowl of food and water out on my night stand. Weird maybe, but whatever. I miss the guy 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mattyl ... it’s not gonna be easy, whichever road you choose for your guy/gal. 

Courtjester is spot on with how terrible it is ... thankfully there isn’t any pain (from the disease) - of course they can get weak enough to fall, and then yes ... pain happens.

there’s also the mind loss. That happens. So at the end of my guys road - he stopped eating. Completely. But also was begging to to go outside (indoor cat that I would let out just during his old age)

letting him outside sorta perked him up for awhile. But then I started noticing a personality change. He wasn’t eating. Super weak. And his meow was different. 

If you’re a cat parent for long enough, you learn which meows are regular, and which ones are not.

that day I knew. 

He was drooling from the mouth, and when I looked/talked to him ... I just knew it was time to go.

good luck.

if you need any advice, PM me ... 

I’ve had two cats where we did it for over a year. It actually got very easy, especially if there are two of you.  I hope your guy hangs around a lot longer; not giving up hope on him!
Unfortunately no.  We put Booboo down yesterday.  We caught the kidney issues way too late, and there wasn’t anything much to do at that point.  He totally stopped eating and was just fur and bones.  We still have his brother/litter mate.  

Weird story. Or maybe it’s not, and I’m just the weird one. 

But I think my little guy just paid me a visit tonight. For those that don’t know, I put my Conner down a few weeks ago. 

Just getting home around 1015pm ... so it’s dark out. As I’m pulling into the drive, there’s a cat sitting right in front of the garage door. Doesn’t budge, or scare away from me pulling in the driveway.

i get out of my car, little dude runs right over to me purring. Young cat, looks like a marbled bengal type (the same cat I would’ve wanted if I hadn’t been blessed with my Siamese boy) 

he did the whole purring and criss crossing between my legs deal - I asked “what are you doing out here mr?”

gave me a meow, a head bump  ... and then ran off.

maybe it was nothing. Probably in fact. But WE know cats ... and when they wander around at night, the definitely don’t stay calm sitting in the driveway as a car pulls in. Full headlights on him. He just sat at the door until I got out of the car.

maybe it’s just a super brave young cat. But I like to think it was my little guy coming to say hello, letting me know he’s having an ok time on the other side 😊

edit to add: I live on a canal, waterfront property, I’ve never seen a stray cat in this area. Not once in 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird story. Or maybe it’s not, and I’m just the weird one. 

But I think my little guy just paid me a visit tonight. For those that don’t know, I put my Conner down a few weeks ago. 

Just getting home around 1015pm ... so it’s dark out. As I’m pulling into the drive, there’s a cat sitting right in front of the garage door. Doesn’t budge, or scare away from me pulling in the driveway.

i get out of my car, little dude runs right over to me purring. Young cat, looks like a marbled bengal type (the same cat I would’ve wanted if I hadn’t been blessed with my Siamese boy) 

he did the whole purring and criss crossing between my legs deal - I asked “what are you doing out here mr?”

gave me a meow, a head bump  ... and then ran off.

maybe it was nothing. Probably in fact. But WE know cats ... and when they wander around at night, the definitely don’t stay calm sitting in the driveway as a car pulls in. Full headlights on him. He just sat at the door until I got out of the car.

maybe it’s just a super brave young cat. But I like to think it was my little guy coming to say hello, letting me know he’s having an ok time on the other side 😊

edit to add: I live on a canal, waterfront property, I’ve never seen a stray cat in this area. Not once in 7 years.
Maybe it's like reincarnation, and you just found your new/old cat friend.

Maybe it's like reincarnation, and you just found your new/old cat friend.
I don’t want a new cat friend yet. And if that was him? I’m glad he said hello and ran off. When I said goodbye, I told him to go do ALL the things - run around, climb trees, eat a mouse maybe 🤷🏼‍♂️

Live it up. I’ll see him later. Like I said it was probably nothing. Strange coincidence. But yea ... I’ll pretend it was him saying “hey dad I’m good, see ya later”

ps: feel so dumb posting all of this lol. But I miss the guy so much. So whatever. Thanks for listening, my cat loving friends 😊

One of my cats has a favorite spot to sleep. We have multiple cat beds, people beds, couches, blankets laying around, places in the sun, lots of comfy spots. Apparently none of those are good enough for him. Of all places, he picks to sleep on the hose to our vacuum cleaner. Sort of like THIS. But our kitty sleeps more in the middle of the loop of the hose and puts his head on the hose. It doesn't look comfortable at all. If we try to move him to a different spot, he will just go back to sleep on the hose.

One of my cats has a favorite spot to sleep. We have multiple cat beds, people beds, couches, blankets laying around, places in the sun, lots of comfy spots. Apparently none of those are good enough for him. Of all places, he picks to sleep on the hose to our vacuum cleaner. Sort of like THIS. But our kitty sleeps more in the middle of the loop of the hose and puts his head on the hose. It doesn't look comfortable at all. If we try to move him to a different spot, he will just go back to sleep on the hose.
Does he hang around with the vacuum on?

We had a Siamese that reached her 20's that went deaf around age 16-17. She loved to be vacuumed. Most of other cats hit the trail when the vc comes out.

Does he hang around with the vacuum on?

We had a Siamese that reached her 20's that went deaf around age 16-17. She loved to be vacuumed. Most of other cats hit the trail when the vc comes out.
He’s only 1, so definitely not a fan of the vacuum turned on. None of our cats will stay in the room with the vacuum on. 

Users who are viewing this thread