What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (2 Viewers)

I get it Scoresman. I'm not going to argue with you by posting links that talk about the other side. It's the internet. We can all find links. My cats have all been happy and healthy. To me, that's what matters. To each their own.
I'd actually be interested in seeing links "that talk about the other side." Is there actually an argument in favor of declawing? I would never have expected that.

You do seem to have acknowledged already that declawing can cause problems, since you stated you hoped that declawing wouldn't change her personality from being a great cat.
A quick google search turned up THIS. I'm not saying this article is saying that every cat should be declawed. I don't think anyone is saying that. I think this kind of sums up how I feel though. I fully acknowledge that cats are better off with claws when you look at the comparison of claw vs. declaw in isolation.

In my situation, my wife does not tolerate furniture damage. I have a 13 month old son who, while learning, does not understand "gentle" and up until a month ago, knew a cat without claws. We also have a 4.5 lb, Chihuahua who grew up with a cat without claws that she would wrestle with weekly. To bring a cat into our house with claws is simply not an option. I prefer to think that Amara is better off with us de-clawed than she would've been in a small glass box, hopping from shelter to shelter, battling worms, fleas, and other things for the last year and a half.

I'm really over this whole argument. This isn't what I came in this thread for. I came in here to continue to morn El Floppo's Chippy Cat, my Moose, and to talk about how excited my family is to have Amara, and that Floppinha would like a new cat. I didn't come here to get judged on how much I care or am perceived to not care about my pets by someone with a different standard of care. I don't need the judgement or approval of others to understand how I care about my pets. I work every day for an animal health company. I care very much about the well being of my pets. There is much much more to loving a pet than electing to do or not do a medical procedure. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm just so sick and tired of every thread in this place turning into a debate.

This will be my LAST post on de-clawing here. If someone wants to discuss further for whatever reason, PM me.

Cats can be trained to not claw furniture or people or chihuahuas. Their nails can also be trimmed. But yeah, the easy route is definitely amputating their appendages.

Again, heart felt condolences to all.

And, in the spirit of the joy our furry friends in heaven brought to us, and to remind you why mourning is necessary, but best quick in duration so you can go help another needy cat who's world you will make amazing.

Like this one who my wife's co-worker found in an open loading dock when it was 3 degrees 18 months ago.

Her name is Hope.

Or the one who's mom I saw outside my door, saved, she was pregnant and gave birth to four kittens, one of which is ours (pictured with mom)

We named him Blu.

So, go get yourself a new kitty - so they can play, and cuddle, hunt (flies) , wallow in the sun and crash.

When you see content little kitties, you have saved one life, and make however many others better...

One last thing: KITTENS!!!

Sorry. Google access must be set up, I guess. I'll fix it.

Sure sign your cat is dying - he'd rather sleep than eat shrimp. Normally, he'd be chewing my arm off right now.

Sorry. Google access must be set up, I guess. I'll fix it.

Sure sign your cat is dying - he'd rather sleep than eat shrimp. Normally, he'd be chewing my arm off right now.
T & P Wamp. Just realized Hope is about to turn two. Obviously too soon to think to many years ahead, but a good reminder to give them a lil extra dried benito flakes before bed because they do bring so much to us.

Again, heart felt condolences to all.

And, in the spirit of the joy our furry friends in heaven brought to us, and to remind you why mourning is necessary, but best quick in duration so you can go help another needy cat who's world you will make amazing.

Like this one who my wife's co-worker found in an open loading dock when it was 3 degrees 18 months ago.

Her name is Hope.

Or the one who's mom I saw outside my door, saved, she was pregnant and gave birth to four kittens, one of which is ours (pictured with mom)

We named him Blu.

So, go get yourself a new kitty - so they can play, and cuddle, hunt (flies) , wallow in the sun and crash.

When you see content little kitties, you have saved one life, and make however many others better...

One last thing: KITTENS!!!
:)

One of my friends lost her 22-year-old(!) cat a couple of months ago. I thought she and her husband might never have another kitty, but they've adopted a brother-sister duo of whom she posted--I'm not kidding--over 200 pictures within the first couple of days. Can't choose a favorite photo, but here are Bailey and Bentley.

While we're on the happy end of this thread, I wonder if anyone here participated in the "Clear the Shelters" event on Saturday? Several shelters I used to work with in Chicago were part of it, and the results were incredible, including several shelters that actually ran out of animals. I know that in the shelters I"m associated with, many older or "special" (shy or other behaviorally challenged) cats were adopted. Great success!

Last edited by a moderator:
Floppinha just asked when Chip is coming back home from Heaven. :(
Killing me...and it's not even my kid or my cat... :cry:

Get Floppinha a new cat. :thumbup:

We just took our new fur buddy Amara to the vet for declawing. She's such an awesome awesome cat already. I hope the declawing doesn't change any of that. She can stay out all day and night when we're not home without claws, so she'll like that.
Is this a fishing trip? Dont declaw your cat, especially if its an outdoor cat.
No...Sorry. Not fishing. I should clarify - by "out all day" I mean she has the run of the house. For now, she's shut up in the spare bedroom when we're not home so she doesn't destroy the furniture. Indoor only cat.
No declaw ever. Unacceptable!!!

:(

Floppinha just asked when Chip is coming back home from Heaven. :(
Killing me...and it's not even my kid or my cat... :cry:

Get Floppinha a new cat. :thumbup:

We just took our new fur buddy Amara to the vet for declawing. She's such an awesome awesome cat already. I hope the declawing doesn't change any of that. She can stay out all day and night when we're not home without claws, so she'll like that.
Is this a fishing trip? Dont declaw your cat, especially if its an outdoor cat.
No...Sorry. Not fishing. I should clarify - by "out all day" I mean she has the run of the house. For now, she's shut up in the spare bedroom when we're not home so she doesn't destroy the furniture. Indoor only cat.
No declaw ever. Unacceptable!!!

:(
Agreed. This may be too late, and certainly many (most?) cats who are declawed lead great lives with the right owners.

That said, I've learned how painful it is, in addition to how it really takes away a perhaps needed defense mechanism (just in case she runs out or something) and a big part of who they are as a cat. But what I've heard about what it does physically is what convinced me (and my wife) that there was no way.

Now, our couch and chair may have a different opinion.

OK

krista4 said:
JoeSteeler said:
WampusCat43 said:
Losing one of my best buddies. Morgan and his brother have been around for 15 years, since my wife and I met. Cancer sucks.

Last Xmas card.

Chillin' in his hammock by the heat vent.

Brother Marty has gained 5 lbs in sympathy.

The dog is not happy about it.
damn sorry to hear it

couldn't get the links to work
Same here, on both fronts.
OK, I created an album. Hopefully this will work, although they may not be in the order I listed above. You can figure it out. Morgan is the gray cat. Marty is his brother.

Morgan hung out with us one last night, but we're taking in him this afternoon. He's just wasting away and we don't have any other options.

OK

krista4 said:
JoeSteeler said:
WampusCat43 said:
Losing one of my best buddies. Morgan and his brother have been around for 15 years, since my wife and I met. Cancer sucks.

Last Xmas card.

Chillin' in his hammock by the heat vent.

Brother Marty has gained 5 lbs in sympathy.

The dog is not happy about it.
damn sorry to hear it

couldn't get the links to work
Same here, on both fronts.
OK, I created an album. Hopefully this will work, although they may not be in the order I listed above. You can figure it out. Morgan is the gray cat. Marty is his brother.

Morgan hung out with us one last night, but we're taking in him this afternoon. He's just wasting away and we don't have any other options.
I'm impressed you got Morgan to sit there so pretty with a santa hat and beard on. That's a cool cat. :thumbup:

You'll have awesome memories to re-live with those pictures. It sucks, but it's for the better...My Moose was also wasting away. Once it's clear they aren't themselves and have trouble with daily tasks, it's time. I cried for like 3 hours after we put her down, and still tear up when I think about her (like now......) but I know that it was the right thing to do.

Oh my gosh, that picture in the Santa hat is just killing me! So adorable (love the sign on the dog, too). Very sorry for the loss of your dear kitty.

We spent a good two hours trying to get those two knuckleheads into that pose. I finally left the room in disgust, and they promptly sat down and let my wife take the picture.
The look on both their faces :lol:
I actually think Morgan looked kind of cherubic in the picture. :) I've looked at this picture many times today; just love it so much. RIP Morgan, and T&P not only to the Wampus humans but to Marty and to the dog (I might have missed his name).

Thanks for all the kind words. It's this kind of behavior that makes me keep coming back to this board, in spite of all the irrelevant weirdness.

We took Morgan back to the vet we originally got him from, and it was all over very quickly. We'd been through this a couple years ago with another cat, so we knew what to expect. I arranged to have him cremated, so all we did was take him in, say goodbye, and walk out.

Hardest part is his brother wandering around the house, trying to find his buddy.

Ive been taking care of a neighborhood cat for about a year...he doesnt belong to anyone, but hes awesome...so I let him sleep inside sometimes on rainy nights in my spare bedroom. A couple weeks ago, he was inside overnight, so I went to put him outside when I got up, and when I set him down outside my front door, he took one step and fell over. I thought he was sleepy from just being woke up...he got up, and tried to walk but couldnt. His back legs were wobbly and uncoordinated. This came out of nowhere, he was perfectly fine the night before. He had no balance, and could hardly stand up without swaying, and couldnt take a step before falling down. This was a Saturday, I had to wait til monday to take him to the vet, so I kept him inside the rest of the weekend.

So the vet looked at him and said he has Vestibular Disease and it would go away in a week or so. She showed me his eyes, and they were darting back and forth really fast uncontrollably. It was weird. The vet said no one knows what causes it, but its pretty common. She also said a lot of people think its from eating Blue Tailed Skinks (or lizards), but no one has been abke to prove that by recreating the effect in labs...Her theory is since is almost always happens in late summer or fall, that maybe lizards eat something available in the wild at that time of the year, and maybe that affects the cats in this way. She said to just keep him inside and keep an eye on him, theres no special treatment for it, and 100% recovery within a week or so was highly probable.

So I took him home, and set him up in the bedroom for house arrest for a bit. He would try to jump from the floor to the bed, but would jump straight up about 2 inches off the floor, and land and fall. Every time he would shake his head he would fall over. Seeing a nimble, tough cat suddenly not be able to function was crazy. After about 2 days his eyes stopped the dartinng back and forth, and while still unstable, it wasnt as bad as that first day.

Fast forward a week later, and sure enough he was almost back to normal. Since then he is completely recovered, but I wanted to give a heads up in case anyone here experiences it. Its pretty scary and shocking to see...I thought it was something serious, but luckily it wasnt.

Ive been taking care of a neighborhood cat for about a year...he doesnt belong to anyone, but hes awesome...so I let him sleep inside sometimes on rainy nights in my spare bedroom. A couple weeks ago, he was inside overnight, so I went to put him outside when I got up, and when I set him down outside my front door, he took one step and fell over. I thought he was sleepy from just being woke up...he got up, and tried to walk but couldnt. His back legs were wobbly and uncoordinated. This came out of nowhere, he was perfectly fine the night before. He had no balance, and could hardly stand up without swaying, and couldnt take a step before falling down. This was a Saturday, I had to wait til monday to take him to the vet, so I kept him inside the rest of the weekend.

So the vet looked at him and said he has Vestibular Disease and it would go away in a week or so. She showed me his eyes, and they were darting back and forth really fast uncontrollably. It was weird. The vet said no one knows what causes it, but its pretty common. She also said a lot of people think its from eating Blue Tailed Skinks (or lizards), but no one has been abke to prove that by recreating the effect in labs...Her theory is since is almost always happens in late summer or fall, that maybe lizards eat something available in the wild at that time of the year, and maybe that affects the cats in this way. She said to just keep him inside and keep an eye on him, theres no special treatment for it, and 100% recovery within a week or so was highly probable.

So I took him home, and set him up in the bedroom for house arrest for a bit. He would try to jump from the floor to the bed, but would jump straight up about 2 inches off the floor, and land and fall. Every time he would shake his head he would fall over. Seeing a nimble, tough cat suddenly not be able to function was crazy. After about 2 days his eyes stopped the dartinng back and forth, and while still unstable, it wasnt as bad as that first day.

Fast forward a week later, and sure enough he was almost back to normal. Since then he is completely recovered, but I wanted to give a heads up in case anyone here experiences it. Its pretty scary and shocking to see...I thought it was something serious, but luckily it wasnt.
Would love to see that video.

Day three without my kitties - hospitalized, will be ok, but not kitty visits allowed. Sadly, that's been the toughest part of this (other than the pain). Eating real food (im liquid for now, and was not even that for last two days), walking around on a beautiful day, going things... it's my cats I miss most.

Day three without my kitties - hospitalized, will be ok, but not kitty visits allowed. Sadly, that's been the toughest part of this (other than the pain). Eating real food (im liquid for now, and was not even that for last two days), walking around on a beautiful day, going things... it's my cats I miss most.
What happened?

What happened?
Perforated Colon. Fun stuff. Should be fine but gonna be a tough couple months of recovery, proceedure, then surgery - and I understand this surgery puts you out for a month.

Luckily that month WILL involve the kitties.

What happened?
Perforated Colon. Fun stuff. Should be fine but gonna be a tough couple months of recovery, proceedure, then surgery - and I understand this surgery puts you out for a month.

Luckily that month WILL involve the kitties.
Jeez, good luck, man.

Would love to see that video.
It was funny and sad at the same time. His brain was fine but his limbs wouldnt cooperate, so he thought he could jump like normal.

Another funny moment was when I took him in the backyard after about 4 days to get him fresh air and to get him to run around a bit...I set him down, and he kind of ran towards a wooden privacy fence he usually scales effortlessly...he wobbled and drifted a bit to the right as he ran towards it, tried to jump up to climb it and dug his claws in...he came to a dread stop when he hit the fence and was hanging about 3 feet from the ground, like a big black X, outstretched and perplexed. I got him unstuck, laughing the whole time while he looked at me all confused like "Dude, WTF"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup...but he doesn't get along with my other two so I have to keep em separated.
Aww that sucks. Hope time can mend those issues but cats are cats. We were SO worried our 1 year old would not take kindly to the new kitten and it might go on and on, but it was a really quick adjustments. So almost like a mom / big sister to him. And SOMEtimes, he even shows his appreciation (but they do cuddle often enough, and my guess is as they age and she becomes more a lap cat and he just mellows a little, it will become even moreso)

Weird thing with Blu is he has generally NOT been a big fan of being pet. A couple pets on the head usually ok, maybe a couple strokes down the back, but often you even lie down where he's chillen and he moves (like 4 feet away). Likes to be around people (not just us), but not very touchy.

However, when he is really sleepy, its different. Cuddles at night half the time, and in the (too) early AM he gives on single loud mew at a time until you pet him on the head and give him some love. Then he jumps over me and my wife and does the same to her, and goes back and forth for up to 20 min doing that. Total cuddle bug then in the AM.

Until he becomes his precocious little self the rest of the day.

There is NO better greeting than coming home to my furry lil Hope and she is giving me the super shimmy with her tail.

(She's not a super long hair, but has enough and quite a fluffy tail if some recall from the pics which I don't expect you to, and when she gets excited / uber happy, her tail vibrates back and forth super quick, and the furs sorta stand on end so it looks even fatty / more furry. ADORABLE).

SO ####### GOOD TO BE HOME.

Users who are viewing this thread