Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
massraider

Official Jameis Winston - football talk

His birth certificate says he's young but on the other hand, he's also been a starter from day one apart from the times he's been bench-ably bad. A couple consecutive games of "good Jameis" provides no comfort that "bad Jameis" won't suddenly reappear. He's a tremendous physical talent when he isn't throwing "what on earth did you see there?!?" type interceptions. Can you coach that out of him at this point? Colour me skeptical...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

There's only one job opening with a QB better than Jameis, so I don't know what's so bad about that.

Numbers wise maybe. Being a leader and winning football games I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

Winston could still be very good.  He's really really young for a QB at this point in his career (24) and needs to mature, but the upside is definitely there.  It's hard to tell if coaching held him and the team back or not. 

The Bucs could look really, really stupid if and when they let Winston walk and he matures and thrives under good coaching. I'm guessing they would like to avoid that for multiple reasons. 

People thought the same thing about Jay Cutler. "The right coach can fix him." I don't think you can fix what is wrong with Winston and that is between his ears. I would be interested in trying if he was a decent guy I could pull for but he's a scumbag on top of being a knucklehead.

18 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

There's only one job opening with a QB better than Jameis, so I don't know what's so bad about that.

This is highly debatable - and definitely depends on whether one thinks Darnold and Mayfield build on their rookie seasons - and I’m actually some one that believes Winston still has potential. My guess however is most coaching candidates would favor being tied to Rodgers, Mayfield and Darnold over Winston at this point.

20 hours ago, JuniorNB said:

It's best to let the guy you're trying to hire make that determination. 

The GM makes the roster decisions. 

17 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

He's not going to mature. 

On the field he did the last 5 games. Took less chances and threw way less picks. :shrug: 

1 hour ago, Capella said:

On the field he did the last 5 games. Took less chances and threw way less picks. :shrug: 

He's got 5 years of bad decisions on and off the field. He's gonna need a lot more than 5 games before I think about betting on him. 

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

He's got 5 years of bad decisions on and off the field. He's gonna need a lot more than 5 games before I think about betting on him. 

That’s cool but I don’t care even a little bit what you do. I’m talking about the Bucs. 

53 minutes ago, Capella said:

That’s cool but I don’t care even a little bit what you do. I’m talking about the Bucs. 

If I were a nole and buc homer I may have tunnel vision for any shred of optimism too. 

24 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

If I were a nole and buc homer I may have tunnel vision for any shred of optimism too. 

I think I’m gonna be ok 

From Licht's press conference:

(On if the new coaching candidate would have to accept Jameis as their starting quarterback, and if that excludes some candidates from being the Bucs coach because they don’t want him)

“Based on the texts and phone calls and emails that I’ve been getting since roughly eight o’clock last night, I don’t think that’s going to be an issue.”

1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:

Folks lining up to take the Glaser’s 💰.  I’m interested.  Call me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Folks lining up to take the Glaser’s 💰.  I’m interested.  Call me.

This is true. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

Jeff Fisher is trying hard to get back in the league.

Well before the Buccaneers hired Bruce Arians as their new head coach, the team made it clear that they intended to have quarterback Jameis Winston on the team for the 2019 season.

Given the $20.9 million Winston is set to make, they weren’t going to hire a coach who wasn’t thinking about Winston as the starter and Arians is on board with that program. During an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show Wednesday, Arians referred to Winston as the central piece of the team’s offense.

“I’ve known him for a long time,” Arians said, via Greg Auman of The Athletic. “We all make mistakes. He’s made his. I’ve made mine. I feel like I’ve got a great feel for him, his excitement for the game. His willingness to work is unbelievable. He’s in the office at 5 o’clock in the morning. I have no qualms about that. There’s no doubt. The whole thing is going to be built around him. I think he can win it all. I mean, he has the intelligence, the toughness, and obviously the arm, ability to lead a team. We have to put the right pieces around him.”

Arians has had success with a variety of quarterbacks with a variety of teams over the years and getting more out of Winston would be the best way to make his tenure in Tampa a winning one.

6 hours ago, ZWK said:

Bruce Arians And Jameis Winston: A Match Made In Heaven by Chase Stuart

Chase's argument: Arians & Winston both thrive at the downfield passing game, and so Winston has a good chance of developing into the next Carson Palmer.

He is the ideal Arians QB. Big and strong to take the hits that come with the 5/7 step drops, big arm and is very willing to chuck the ball down field regularly. I love the synergy of Arians and the Bucs passing offense. My only concern is that the TE usage. Arians has to show that he can use OJ Howard. 

Edited by Ilov80s

44 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

He is the ideal Arians QB. Big and strong to take the hits that come with the 5/7 step drops, big arm and is very willing to chuck the ball down field regularly. I love the synergy of Arians and the Bucs passing offense. My only concern is that the TE usage. Arians has to show that he can use OJ Howard. 

He wasn't known as a coordinator who used the RB out of the backfield either.  Until he had David Johnson. 

Speaking Thursday, new Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Jameis Winston just needs to be a "little bit smarter."

"No pressure. No pressure whatsoever," Arians said of his expectations for his new quarterback. "I want him to relax and play the game. Talent is no issue. It’s just becoming a little bit smarter." It's a fair appraisal of Winston's to-date skill-set. Arians made it clear in so many words he would only come out of "retirement" for the right quarterback situation. He didn't get the Browns/Baker Mayfield job, but he must be comfortable with 25-year-old Winston. Winston's down-field mindset certainly jibes with Arians'. He simply must cut down on his turnovers. It's going to be a tricky needle to thread.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Jan 10 - 4:56 PM

12 hours ago, Tool said:

Yeah I dunno, still have a hard time believing in Winston. 

He needs to be more consistent early in the season. 2017 and 2018 he’s been pretty great down the stretch when the games no longer mattered. 

If he can cut down the turnover rate and the new look defense can get some stops/turnovers this is a playoff team. 

Fans of NFC South opponents did not like this hire. 

I think Tampa Bay finally has a competent coaching staff. 

As a Winston owner I’m ecstatic over this hire.  Anyone hear how Winston is doing in controlling his drinking problem?  Staying on the straight & narrow?

19 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

As a Winston owner I’m ecstatic over this hire.  Anyone hear how Winston is doing in controlling his drinking problem?  Staying on the straight & narrow?

I haven't seen any stories about him being out on the town in Tampa or anything.  Supposedly he was absolutely smashed when the Uber drive incident happened, but that was back in 2016. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what, if anything, changes with Jameis because of Bruce.  The only thing holding Winston back are the interceptions.  Arians runs a similar offense to  Koetter's.  The big difference for the team as a whole will likely be on the other side of the ball in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:

I haven't seen any stories about him being out on the town in Tampa or anything.  Supposedly he was absolutely smashed when the Uber drive incident happened, but that was back in 2016. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what, if anything, changes with Jameis because of Bruce.  The only thing holding Winston back are the interceptions.  Arians runs a similar offense to  Koetter's.  The big difference for the team as a whole will likely be on the other side of the ball in all honesty.

Very :goodposting:

The first time I saw Winston play it was his frosh season at FSU, the guy was incredible. I had never seen a better performance by any college QB. 

I do think he can come on, he just has too much talent.

Edited by ZenoRazon