What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (5 Viewers)

I say purely from on the field, I think the grade for Jameis Winston is just behind Andrew Luck's in the last 10 years. There's nobody else in between.''
19 INT's.

McShay is :crazy:

I say purely from on the field, I think the grade for Jameis Winston is just behind Andrew Luck's in the last 10 years. There's nobody else in between.''
19 INT's.

Peyton Manning had 28 INTs his rookie season. Andrew Luck turned the ball over a lot last year with 20 combined turnovers (16 INTs and 4 fumbles). Luck had 18 interceptions his rookie season.

Those guys had high turnover seasons early in their careers because they are aggressive and they take chances. Peyton had high turnover percentages while he was learning and right now Luck has high turnovers. High turnovers shows aggressiveness, taking chances means they are ATTACKING the defense trying to make things happen and it tends to happen early in careers when guys are learning.

High INT did not mean Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck Luck were bad and it doesn't mean Jamies Winston is either.

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston could go No. 1 overall, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper.

That said, Kiper also believes Winston's off-field maturity issues could "cost him the chance to go in the top five." As with all other evaluators, Kiper is smitten with Winston's on-field ability. He isn't overly concerned with Winston's 18 interceptions this season, calling some of them "mistakes of aggression because he can make pretty much every throw and always sees opportunities." Kiper also pointed out that Matt Ryan threw 19 picks his last year at Boston College before going No. 3 overall. The analyst called Winston "the most advanced QB in this class," a "special talent" and said the signal-caller's big frame will provide Winston with the "assumption of durability" that "has a great deal of value." The analyst concluded: "At this point, Winston is a possibility at No. 1. But after the season he had, on the field and off, the variance right now feels pretty high."

Source: ESPN Insider

Jan 7 - 6:40 PM
Mel Kiper declared Jimmy Clausen the most NFL ready QB in the draft the year the Panthers took him. Going to be all world. Turns out he was friends with Jimmy's agent and was just helping a friend out. I can't believe this guy still has a job or that anyone cares one bit about his alleged expert opinion.
We shouldn't listen to any draft expert that gets an opinion wrong, amirite?
At least the ones that admit they lie for agents.

cstu said:
Dr. Octopus said:
cstu said:
19 INT's.

How many great QB prospects have entered the league in the last 10 years?
Cam Newton, Stafford, Griffin.

Winston (ignoring character) is on-par with Matt Ryan and Bortles as a prospect.
I don't see it as an outrageous position to take, ranking Winston ahead of Newton, Stafford or Griffin - even if one was to disagree.

cstu said:
Dr. Octopus said:
cstu said:
19 INT's.

Winston (ignoring character) is on-par with Matt Ryan and Bortles as a prospect.
I don't see it as an outrageous position to take, ranking Winston ahead of Newton, Stafford or Griffin - even if one was to disagree.
Crazy is hyperbole but I don't see it. He doesn't have the running ability of Newton/Griffin or the arm of Stafford. His INT's make him a big question mark to me.

cstu said:
Dr. Octopus said:
cstu said:
19 INT's.

Crazy is hyperbole but I don't see it. He doesn't have the running ability of Newton/Griffin or the arm of Stafford. His INT's make him a big question mark to me.
And he is going to throw more in the NFL. He throws late. A lot. In college you get away with it. In the Pros they take it to the house. Watching film on Benjamin when we drafted him I noticed how often he sat down and then waited on the ball. Winston has some real work to do to be what some in this thread are making him out to be.

someone needs to tell Matt it's notpronounced Ja-May-Us. It's pronounced Jay-mus.

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:
Dr. Octopus said:
cstu said:
19 INT's.

And he is going to throw more in the NFL. He throws late. A lot. In college you get away with it. In the Pros they take it to the house. Watching film on Benjamin when we drafted him I noticed how often he sat down and then waited on the ball. Winston has some real work to do to be what some in this thread are making him out to be.
He doesn't throw late often at all. His big college problem was actually throwing to spots where he freshman wideout weren't getting to in time.

cstu said:
Dr. Octopus said:
cstu said:
19 INT's.

He doesn't throw late often at all. His big college problem was actually throwing to spots where he freshman wideout weren't getting to in time.
That's not what the film shows. You can see receivers sitting down and the ball comes late on a regular basis. I watched a lot of it when the Panthers drafted Benjamin.

19 INT's.

That's not what the film shows. You can see receivers sitting down and the ball comes late on a regular basis. I watched a lot of it when the Panthers drafted Benjamin.
I've seen every game he's played. Many of them twice. There is no way you've seen him play more than me.

Matt Miller and plenty of others agree with his anticipation and throwing to a spot. Guess we'll see.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Pat Yasinskas has "heard" Bucs HC Lovie Smith prefers Jameis Winston over Marcus Mariota.
"From what I have gathered, Smith chose Dirk Koetter as his offensive coordinator over Marc Trestman," Yasinskas begins. "...Although Smith and Trestman had similar philosophies about how to run an offense, they disagreed on the quarterbacks. Trestman preferred Mariota." Jameis' offense and output is much easier to see working in the NFL: he worked through progressions from the pocket, displaying poise and patience, and even threw with anticipation. Yasinskas notes Lovie Smith "is the boss" in terms of these decisions, even saying Jameis "has a big edge."

Source: ESPN
Feb 11 - 12:11 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Pat Yasinskas has "heard" Bucs HC Lovie Smith prefers Jameis Winston over Marcus Mariota.
"From what I have gathered, Smith chose Dirk Koetter as his offensive coordinator over Marc Trestman," Yasinskas begins. "...Although Smith and Trestman had similar philosophies about how to run an offense, they disagreed on the quarterbacks. Trestman preferred Mariota." Jameis' offense and output is much easier to see working in the NFL: he worked through progressions from the pocket, displaying poise and patience, and even threw with anticipation. Yasinskas notes Lovie Smith "is the boss" in terms of these decisions, even saying Jameis "has a big edge."

Source: ESPN
Feb 11 - 12:11 PM
:thumbup:

Rk Year Rnd Pick Pos Tm From To AP1 PB St CarAV G GS QBrec Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD College/Univ1 2011 5 160 Nathan Enderle QB CHI 2011 2011 0 0 0 0 0 0 Idaho2 2010 6 181 Dan LeFevour QB CHI 2011 2011 0 0 0 0 0 0 Central Michigan3 2005 4 106 Kyle Orton QB CHI 2005 2014 0 0 5 41 87 82 42-40-0 1613 2712 18037 101 69 126 296 4 Purdue4 2004 5 148 Craig Krenzel QB CHI 2004 2004 0 0 0 1 6 5 3-2-0 59 127 718 3 6 18 41 0 Ohio St.In addition to these gems Lovie Smith gave up Orton, two 1st's, and a 3rd for Jay Cutler.

Can't argue with that QB track record.

Because we all know Lovie is great at QB evaluation...........Josh McCown. If Lovie is able to follow through, it will at least expedite Winstons exit from the NFL. Therefore I approve since I never draft Bucs anyway.

:lmao: Just breeze right over the part of the report about Koetter also preferring Winston...maybe no one else will notice it.

:lmao: Just breeze right over the part of the report about Koetter also preferring Winston...maybe no one else will notice it.
:goodposting:
RIF:

"Dirk Koetter knows how to play with those kinds of guys under center." (Bucky Brooks)
Here's what Koetter himself had to say:

"Playing quarterback in the NFL, things are coming at you fast and furious and if you can't process information, it's tough to be successful," Koetter said. "Second would be toughness … because when you play quarterback in the NFL, you're going to have to demonstrate toughness on a daily basis and certainly every Sunday. Intelligence, arm strength, accuracy, mobility — those things are important as well. But the ability to process information and make great decisions would be No. 1 on my list."

:goodposting:
RIF:

"Dirk Koetter knows how to play with those kinds of guys under center." (Bucky Brooks)
Here's what Koetter himself had to say:

"Playing quarterback in the NFL, things are coming at you fast and furious and if you can't process information, it's tough to be successful," Koetter said. "Second would be toughness … because when you play quarterback in the NFL, you're going to have to demonstrate toughness on a daily basis and certainly every Sunday. Intelligence, arm strength, accuracy, mobility — those things are important as well. But the ability to process information and make great decisions would be No. 1 on my list."
Great...Koetter must have more confidence in Winston's abilities in that regard than you, since he wants him.

Why would any of us actually believe Lovie, Licht, Koetter, or other members of the organization is actually telling anyone in the media who they really want?

Why would any of us actually believe Lovie, Licht, Koetter, or other members of the organization is actually telling anyone in the media who they really want?
I wouldn't be surprised at someone leaking who they prefer now, but also saying that could change.

gump said:
Grahamburn said:
I wouldn't be surprised at someone leaking who they prefer now, but also saying that could change.
Bill Polian (Colts' GM for Manning/Leaf) was on ESPN last night and had some interesting thoughts. He said they had polled the entire scouting department and watched every snap for both QBs by this time in the process. They were neck and neck at this point. Then when the Colts started doing interviews Manning separated himself significantly. He expects something similar to happen here, which shouldn't be a surprise considering the two players available. :shrug:

Are they neck and neck though?

Only 3 months left!
It's a good question. I have no idea. I'm glad they have two options, and honestly I don't have a preference. Just get the best guy, develop him, and win some freaking games.

I see Winston as the most ready to win right away, but Mariota has the biggest upside if he can learn the anticipation throws and improve his ball placement. I think Mariota will do everything in his power to be great. Winston reeks of "maxed out" and entitled to me sometimes. With the weapons on offense for this team and Mariota's running ability they would be very tough to stop. There's definitely risk there though that he won't learn those things, and Winston already has them. He could take those weapons and just throw darts all over the field. The Bucs are probably an 8-8 team right away with Winston.

I said in the Bucs thread I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. :shrug:

The University's investigation into the case was less than acceptable. First they didn't do anything on the case for ten months until media pressure forced them to investigate. Then they used a booster for the FSU football program to look into the charge. The booster who was in charge of the case didn't take any DNA samples, he didn't interview Jamies Winston, he didn't interview Wintson's room mate who allegedly witnessed the incident and tried to intervene, and he didn't even bother to look at video tapes of the bar where the accuser claims that Wintson drugged her.Heck they bothered to look the tapes of him walking off with crab legs so why not bother to look at the tapes for a much more serious crime? I'm sure an FSU football booster would want to get to the bottom of any rape allegation against the Heisman Trophy winner and the guy that lead his favorite team to the National Championship right?
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html?_r=1

bolzano said:
The University's investigation into the case was less than acceptable. First they didn't do anything on the case for ten months until media pressure forced them to investigate. Then they used a booster for the FSU football program to look into the charge. The booster who was in charge of the case didn't take any DNA samples, he didn't interview Jamies Winston, he didn't interview Wintson's room mate who allegedly witnessed the incident and tried to intervene, and he didn't even bother to look at video tapes of the bar where the accuser claims that Wintson drugged her.Heck they bothered to look the tapes of him walking off with crab legs so why not bother to look at the tapes for a much more serious crime? I'm sure an FSU football booster would want to get to the bottom of any rape allegation against the Heisman Trophy winner and the guy that lead his favorite team to the National Championship right?
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html?_r=1
It's tough to read that and then get behind this guy as the face of your franchise.

McShay can only possibly be talking about 'grade'. Grade doesn't mean squat when you arrive at the NFL. As far as being able to play at the NFL level, Winston is sub par. Holds the ball too long and is an INT machine. When all is said and done, this guy will be long gone while Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Ryan Tannehill, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, Teddy Bridgewater and probably Andy Dalton will still starting be in the NFL.

I love how his shadow is totally skinny and everybody ignores it. Best part.
Also, trying to portray a two sport athlete as lazy is kinda comical.
I don't see any link, there. Laziness, in terms that matter for potential pro athletes, has everything to do with prep you do off the field. Even though that photo with the gut is a fake, it's also true Winston hasn't really pushed himself in terms of fitness. Any old shirtless photo of the hundreds you can find online will show that. And then it's about his prep, too. And the guy was constantly battling himself out of holes on the field that he dug himself into because he had no idea what was going on on the field in first halves.

Lots of multi-sport athletes in college. Kids like sports. There's still plenty of lazy ones.

I guess I hope Tampa takes him, for the fans who seem so rabid to get him on their team. I'd rather see him there than on a team I like. But I can't imagine hearing even one interview with the guy and then feeling anything but dread at giving up even a first day pick to get him. I feel like franchises that are even considering him in the first round are the kinds of franchises doomed to perpetual failure. But people like kids who did well in college, even if there are plenty of warning signs screaming disaster. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread