Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
massraider

Official Jameis Winston - football talk

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, ATB said:

Looked good tonight. Should have had 3 TDs (and one INT if we’re fair). 

Even if the INT had occurred it wouldn't have been his fault.  Winston delivered the ball in stride to his WR with accuracy but he bobbled the ball up in the air.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not giving up on him just yet.  He finished better than he started.  Let's get one thing straight though - Jameis is not what you want if you plan on having a QB play simply to not lose.  He makes too many mistakes.  I'll gladly take a few INT's, as long as they come with 300+ yards and multiple scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If nothing else, it seems clear at this point that Winston is not a franchise QB.

As the guys on my favorite Bills podcast have said, if you get to year 3 or 4 and you're still not sure, the answer is No.

Crazy all the hype Winston and Mariota got and neither one panned out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

I'm not giving up on him just yet.  He finished better than he started.  Let's get one thing straight though - Jameis is not what you want if you plan on having a QB play simply to not lose.  He makes too many mistakes.  I'll gladly take a few INT's, as long as they come with 300+ yards and multiple scores.

I'm assuming your last sentence is in the context of fantasy football.

As far as mistakes go, there are mistakes that result from being aggressive (i.e. "gunslinger") and then there are those "What on earth did you see/do there?!?" type mistakes. If you have the skills and the situational awareness to be aggressive, great but the other stuff, the stuff Winston hasn't been able to shed from his game to this point, simply can't happen - especially when you're entering year 5 as a starter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arians said all off-season that part of Winston’s problems was always playing behind and throwing a ton. More mistakes breed from that. 26 passes last night, great D, somewhat tolerable run game will get it done against a lot of teams. Happy to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

If nothing else, it seems clear at this point that Winston is not a franchise QB.

As the guys on my favorite Bills podcast have said, if you get to year 3 or 4 and you're still not sure, the answer is No.

Crazy all the hype Winston and Mariota got and neither one panned out.

 

I don’t really give a #### at all if he’s a franchise qb or not. It’s been 12 years since they made the playoffs. I just want to see wild card game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Crazy all the hype Winston and Mariota got and neither one panned out.

 

Their careers have oddly been in lockstep,  both quite impressive by rookie standards but  never really advanced from there, getting worse if anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tight window passing from TNF Week 2 (@PFF)

 

Jameis Winston:

92.2 passing grade

8.6 YPA

0% uncatchable passes thrown

 

Cam Newton:

38.7 passing grade

2.2 YPA

61.5% uncatchable passes thrown

 

 

Bucs can win a lot of games if Jameis can play like that consistently  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the spanker said:

Even if the INT had occurred it wouldn't have been his fault.  Winston delivered the ball in stride to his WR with accuracy but he bobbled the ball up in the air.  

The one I saw hit the defender in the hands and wasn’t the receiver’s fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Key takeaways and stats to know from Week 2

 

Quote

JAMEIS WINSTON OFFERS A MUCH-IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

After a tumultuous Week 1, all arrows were pointing down on Jameis Winston’s season while all the buildup from the offseason of hype over the hiring of quarterback guru Bruce Arians as head coach had become a bust. Fast forward only four days later, the narrative around Winston is very different thanks to a much-improved performance against a division rival in the national spotlight on Thursday Night Football.

Against the 49ers in Week 1, it was hard to find a facet in the game that Winston didn’t struggle in. He lumbered his way to a 43.6 passing grade (last in NFL) and of his 36 attempts, Winston targeted his first read only 47.2% of the time (last in NFL). Even though it wasn’t as often as the rest of the NFL, it affected the game plenty when he did. Winston earned the lowest passing grade (43.6) on such passes and it accounted for two of his three turnover worthy plays.

That wasn’t the case Thursday night, as Winston bounced back to target his first read on 76% of his passes and more than doubled his passing grade to an impressive 89.5. That includes a touchdown pass to wide receiver Chris Godwin to go along with his three big-time throws and zero turnover-worthy plays.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 9:35 AM, Capella said:

Tight window passing from TNF Week 2 (@PFF)

 

Jameis Winston:

92.2 passing grade

8.6 YPA

0% uncatchable passes thrown

 

Cam Newton:

38.7 passing grade

2.2 YPA

61.5% uncatchable passes thrown

 

 

Bucs can win a lot of games if Jameis can play like that consistently  

Yes, that's been the hope for 5 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, btemp said:

Yes, that's been the hope for 5 years. 

I didn’t say he would do so. 

 

 

Also, he at least has a really good coach now who can hopefully control what they’re asking of him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Jameis Winston (foot) is expected to start in Week 3 against the Giants.

Winston surprisingly popped up on the team's injury report but is expected to start after practicing in full. It's only concerning since recency bias brings to mind Ben Roethlisberger, who (secretly) dealt with an injury heading into Pittsburgh's Week 2 matchup against the Seahawks, struggled, then was promptly ruled out for the year. If healthy, it's likely a week Winston and the Bucs' offense get back on track against a shoddy Giants defense allowing 10.6 yards per attempt.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is on my 12 team 1 QB start Dyno league waivers and I just can’t pick him up. On top off complete lapses of stupid on the field he gives those strange rally talks that nobody seems to understand. No way in heck TB gives him a hundred mill after this season....right?

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

He is on my 12 team 1 QB start Dyno league waivers and I just can’t pick him up. On top off complete lapses of stupid on the field he gives those strange rally talks that nobody seems to understand. No way in heck TB gives him a hundred mill after this season....right?

People paid the Sex Pistols not to put out records on their record labels, so anything's possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

He is on my 12 team 1 QB start Dyno league waivers and I just can’t pick him up. On top off complete lapses of stupid on the field he gives those strange rally talks that nobody seems to understand. No way in heck TB gives him a hundred mill after this season....right?

I don’t know what they’re going to do. I think they’ll likely be picking in the 10-18 range which won’t allow them to get the premium QBs and Arians is 100% not there to break in some rookie. But Jameis isn’t good enough for that contract. They may just franchise him for a year and kick the can down the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balling today. Maybe Arians can make this work. He’s been pretty good since that week 1 catastrophe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What on earth are they doing? That's Romo-esque. They're up eleven with eight to play and he's underthrowing deep outs. Oooof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Sorry man, he still simply stinks.

Love that you waited till right that moment. Perfect troll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Love that you waited till right that moment. Perfect troll. 

I like how you started bowing up again when the team got a big lead and he had not served up one of his textbook INTs. You should have just le t it be.

You really cannot call someone whose analysis has been correct since day one a 'troll' and think you are right.

Edited by lod001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

I

I like how you started bowing up again when the team got a big lead and he had not served up one of his textbook INTs. You should have just le t it be.

You really cannot call someone whose analysis has been correct since day one a 'troll' and think you are right.

He’s been good since week 2. I haven’t said anything. He’s been amazing today and threw a bad pass. Most nfl QBs do the same. Nobody is saying he’s brady. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Capella said:

He’s been good since week 2. I haven’t said anything. He’s been amazing today and threw a bad pass. Most nfl QBs do the same. Nobody is saying he’s brady. 

They should be 3-1 and styling right now. Instead, the kicker vexes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

They should be 3-1 and styling right now. Instead, the kicker vexes.

Yup. And Winston led them down there for that FG attempt. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capella said:

Yup. And Winston led them down there for that FG attempt.

Been waiting on him for years. I'm sure he's one of the best thirty-two in the world, it's how close he is to number one that is the debate. 

I just read the Deep Ball Accuracy Report from a fine fellow at Football Outsiders. Fascinating read. I think Jameis was 23rd out of the 32. The throw they show him making is unreal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No joke, I literally now loathe this POS.  Lol.  I need anger management.  This is the 2nd year in a row I drafted Winston and he f’d me.  2 garbage weeks had me thinking I was wrong about him and he sucks.  I wasn’t even sure he’d finish the year as the bucs starter.  Dropped him to the wire.  Thought I was smart. Now, for 2 weeks straight, his production could have helped me secure wins.  Instead I’ve been trotting our Andy dalton.  I need to step away from looking at my redraft league for a while.  I’m much bette in dynasty  where I don’t churn my roster.  Anthjehabdhrhcnejzbfjwncjfj&3!,8/$;$.&3$,!!3&,!;$:!.!!3$?’dn

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Jameis Winston completed 28-of-41 passes for 385 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception in the Bucs' 55-40, Week 4 win over the Rams.

This was a tough on-paper spot headed into the week, but Winston answered with easily his best game of the young season. His only mistake was a fourth-quarter pick-six to Marcus Peters to give the Rams life after trailing most of the day by double digits. Winston's first two scores were to Chris Godwin in the red zone. Winston threw another red-zone strike to Cameron Brate for a touchdown, and then beat Peters deep for a 67-yard hookup to Mike Evans. Winston and Godwin were cooking all afternoon, generating a 12-172-2 line on 14 targets. Winston will be a high-ceiling but always risky QB1 play next week in the Superdome against the Saints.

Sep 29, 2019, 7:55 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would’ve won this week if I didn’t cut ties two weeks ago. 

Honestly still don’t know if I can trust him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ATB said:

Would’ve won this week if I didn’t cut ties two weeks ago. 

Honestly still don’t know if I can trust him. 

Mercurial might be a good word for him. Or inconsistent. Either way, I get what you're saying, but he's had his third straight good game in a row under Arians and Leftwich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ATB said:

Would’ve won this week if I didn’t cut ties two weeks ago. 

Honestly still don’t know if I can trust him. 

In this boat as well.  I traded for Brady after Cam went down since Jameis was my only other QB and He's massively outscored Brady since.  N.O. Def next week, so I'm going to keep him on the bench for one more week at least.  Saints looked tough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Max Power said:

In this boat as well.  I traded for Brady after Cam went down since Jameis was my only other QB and He's massively outscored Brady since.  N.O. Def next week, so I'm going to keep him on the bench for one more week at least.  Saints looked tough. 

You would have put him on the bench against the Rams . He proved us wrong. 

You can't bench him against NO. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

I’m so torn on this guy. Do I take this opportunity to try and upgrade him or by the end of the season is he the guy people are trading for?

I know that I love his weapons. Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate and now even RoJo is emerging.

Arians and Leftwich are a huge bump for this guys confidence. They are letting him sling it and as a fantasy owner, I love Arians QBs when they are capable to run is offense. Winston is capable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

last time they went to N.O. they smoked the saints, no? 

Season opener, TB won by 8, dialed up some deep strikes from Fitz to DJax. Primarily what happened is Gillislee (yes) was in for Ingram who was on suspension and he put the ball on the turf for a scoop-6 by the Bucs D. It was a random wild game, I think 48-40 Bucs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.