Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
massraider

Official Jameis Winston - football talk

24 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Virtually no chance he's signed as a starter.

Virtually no chance he doesn’t. And he’ll get over 20M. 

• Like 2

For all the great throws he makes (and he can make every throw) the passes that ended the last two games are what makes it tough to count on him. He’s been staring down receivers and D’s jump routes.  Usually it’s short over the middle or short down and outs. If he could just clean that up he could be a viable starter in this league. But it’s a big if.  Arians may just be negotiating as I’m not sure what his options are. Team is too far along to rebuild with a rookie 

Edited by Judge Smails

23 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Team is too far along to rebuild with a rookie 

Bucs would probably miss the best window as far as utilizing their WR/TEs in their prime but other than that I don't really agree with this statement. The defense is Swiss cheese. No household name at RB. Oline is unimpressive.

15 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Bucs would probably miss the best window as far as utilizing their WR/TEs in their prime but other than that I don't really agree with this statement. The defense is Swiss cheese. No household name at RB. Oline is unimpressive.

Defense finished 5th in DVOA. They were really good the second half. They’ll take a back in the draft. Oline is fine-ish. Team could win 9-10 next year with good qb play and a decent kicker. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

With the QB turning it over that many times they were a few placekicks away from 9-7. A blown call in Tennessee from 10-6... 

They aren’t that far away from playoff contention+

5 hours ago, Capella said:

Virtually no chance he doesn’t. And he’ll get over 20M. 

Lol, please give me a list of those teams. Out of the nfc there's the panthers and bucs. I'd say Newton will be back. In the AFC there's the Dolphins, Bengals, Chargers and Jags. So 4 teams and Dalton and the rookie qbs take those spots. You're living in a dream world. Nobody is signing a 35 turnover qb to 20 million a year.

5 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Lol, please give me a list of those teams. Out of the nfc there's the panthers and bucs. I'd say Newton will be back. In the AFC there's the Dolphins, Bengals, Chargers and Jags. So 4 teams and Dalton and the rookie qbs take those spots. You're living in a dream world. Nobody is signing a 35 turnover qb to 20 million a year.

Are you joking?

Cam is gone. Carolina isn't signing Cam to a big money deal after not playing in a year and having another surgery, even if they have to sign another QB/leave it up to Allen/Grier.

Andy Dalton isn't staying in Cincy to be a backup, Joe Burrow is going to be drafted by them.

Rivers is probably gone barring a miracle.

Jags I think are ok with Minshew II being the QB.

I'll also say this; Gruden cannot wait to get rid of Derek Carr; Raiders may jettison him if Gruden can find a vet QB he likes.

So yeah, Jameis isn't without risk, but if Arians can work with him he at least has upside if he can piece together the mental game.

8 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Dream world :lmao: I don’t care if this guy signs with the xfl but he’ll sign in Oakland or LAC or Chicago or somebody else desperate for at least 1/20 and probably more. Be happy to bump this in March, it’s a lock. If you don’t think Gruden at least will pay this guy I don’t know what to tell you. 

Edited by Capella

12 hours ago, grateful zed said:

favre 2?

buy low?

Favre had more fire in his belly. 

3 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Are you joking?

Cam is gone. Carolina isn't signing Cam to a big money deal after not playing in a year and having another surgery, even if they have to sign another QB/leave it up to Allen/Grier.

Andy Dalton isn't staying in Cincy to be a backup, Joe Burrow is going to be drafted by them.

I'll also say this; Gruden cannot wait to get rid of Derek Carr; Raiders may jettison him if Gruden can find a vet QB he likes.

So yeah, Jameis isn't without risk, but if Arians can work with him he at least has upside if he can piece together the mental game.

I'd be interested to see Dalton in Tampa. He could be just good enough to lead them to a WC.

Are you joking?

a gruden jameis partnership would be epic... gruden's ego would say he can reign in jameis.... it would be amazing... would be OK if he stayed with arians next year too

Are you joking?

Carolina doesn't have to sign Cam to big money for him to play next year. He has one year left on his contract. They could have him play next year and prove he is healthy or trade him. They could cut him too.  He is a big question mark right now, and Tepper said a decision won't be made on him until he is 100%.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

If the Bucs drop him he wont be starting anywhere.

I’m not sure he should be, but I’m fairly sure he would be starting somewhere next season.

4 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Are you joking?

I think they’ll release Cam as well, but he still has one year on his contract at a fairly reasonable salary so if they wanted to keep him it wouldn’t take a big money deal.

15 hours ago, Capella said:

Defense finished 5th in DVOA. They were really good the second half. They’ll take a back in the draft. Oline is fine-ish. Team could win 9-10 next year with good qb play and a decent kicker. 

Also PFF just published their Oline rankings and the Bucs were 7th. Soooooooo

17 hours ago, Capella said:

If they have good QB play and a decent kicker, 9-10 is the absolute minimum IMO. Hell, they would have had 9 this year with a kicker who could make a 34 yard FG and that was with Jameis being super inconsistent (which easily could happen again next year) and the defense being bad in the first half of the season (if they play like they did over the last 5 games next year, that would be a huge boost).

You simply can't win with 30 picks plus fumbles.....seriously?

I do not sign him to any kind of big money. Turnovers kill football teams.

• Like 1

I can only hope the Buccs give him 20+ million a year.  Not denying his talent, but he's shown since college his lack of character.  Complete moron.  There's no way I'd want this guy as the starter of my team.  I'd rather draft a rookie.  Completely surprised at the Buccs fans defending him.

2 hours ago, SproutDaddy said:

I can only hope the Buccs give him 20+ million a year.  Not denying his talent, but he's shown since college his lack of character.  Complete moron.  There's no way I'd want this guy as the starter of my team.  I'd rather draft a rookie.  Completely surprised at the Buccs fans defending him.

Would hate to see him on my NFL team.  Really glad he helped my team win a fantasy title this year.

19 hours ago, SproutDaddy said:

Bucs’ fans haven’t had much great, or even good, QB play. Jameis is polarizing because you see the talent. The constant barrage of wow throws and great plays. Then he’ll do something that kills your chances at a W.

It’s kind of like playing the lotto. You dream about what could be “if,” but chances are you just keep on living your mediocre life. 

Jameis Winston was seen with a cast on his injured right thumb in an Instagram story posted Tuesday.

The former Heisman winner suffered a hairline fracture in his throwing thumb in Week 14 but still appeared in all 16 games for Tampa Bay. The cast would suggest Winston underwent surgery at some point. Headed for free agency this offseason, most reports suggest the Bucs will retain Winston on the franchise tag, which carries a projected $26.895 million salary for 2020. The fifth-year gunslinger led the sport in passing yards this past season—his 5,109 were the eighth-most in NFL history—but also committed a league-high 30 interceptions.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Jan 14, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

Jameis Winston underwent LASIK surgery to repair his vision.

It's not a game-changer, but it is notable with Winston eyeing (no pun intended) a new contract. The 26-year-old has infamously squinted as a result of being nearsighted throughout his career, leading coach Bruce Arians to state he "can’t read the scoreboard but he can see the guys in front of him" in his final press conference. Winston led the NFL with 5,109 passing yards and 33 touchdowns last year but is obviously having his decision-making questioned for the 30 picks that went with those marks. It's unknown if anyone associated with the team requested Winston have the surgery.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Feb 12, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

Has the NFL's passing yardage leader ever lost his job the following year?

Eff it. Gamechanger. Gonna draft him in the 8th round upcoming fantasy football season in a 14 teamer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

To the best of my knowledge, never. On the flip side though, when was the last time a guy threw 30 INT's and kept his job?

5 hours ago, travdogg said:

To the best of my knowledge, never. On the flip side though, when was the last time a guy threw 30 INT's and kept his job?

Favre threw 29 and kept his.  And he had 13 less TD's and over 1200 less yards

6 hours ago, TheWinz said:

The Packers traded Tobin Rote to the Lions after he led the NFL in passing yards & touchdowns. Rote proceeded to lead the Lions to an NFL title over the Browns.

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

12 hours ago, Faust said:

This sounds so crazy to me. A #1 overall pick who has thrown countless bad interceptions.

The team has known he has eyesight problems and they never forced the issue for corrective lenses?

6 minutes ago, bombjack said:

This sounds so crazy to me. A #1 overall pick who has thrown countless bad interceptions.

The team has known he has eyesight problems and they never forced the issue for corrective lenses?

LASIK is FDA-approved for those 18 and older. Most providers encourage young adults to wait until their mid-20s because, until this time, a person's prescription may be still changing.

42 minutes ago, bombjack said:

Fair, but what about contacts or goggles / glasses?

He has mentioned in the past that contacts bothered him when he played. 

Jameis Winston, astronaut.  A man barely alive.  Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.  We have the technology.  We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.  Jameis Winston will be that man. Better than he was before.  Better, stronger, faster.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

Jameis Winston, astronaut.  A man barely alive.  Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.  We have the technology.  We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.  Jameis Winston will be that man. Better than he was before.  Better, stronger, faster.

Am I the only one who heard the sound effect in my head as they were reading this?

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

I gotta say I never saw this coming.  But then again, neither did Jameis.

• Laughing 6

11 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I gotta say I never saw this coming.  But then again, neither did Jameis.

I'm genuinely surprised you didn't see this coming, based on your avatar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

10 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

He has mentioned in the past that contacts bothered him when he played. 

Gotta keep the excuse for his contract year. Strangely he could see his teammates just not the other defenders.

• Like 1

Jokes aside, the thing I really don't trust about him is the staying in shape situation. This is the guy that if you hand him a huge contract now, he's never lifting a weight or running on a treadmill ever again. Then on the other side of that equation, you have Cam Newton who did do all those things and still played terrible. 

15 hours ago, bombjack said:

It's like an NFL reboot of Major League except in this version Ricky Vaughn plays QB and gets Lasik. 

3 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Gotta keep the excuse for his contract year. Strangely he could see his teammates just not the other defenders.

I'm thinking that he couldn't tell the difference.

6 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I'm thinking that he couldn't tell the difference.

Jokes aside, I'm honestly curious what the outcome here will be.  PFF has Winston's poor production overwhelmingly on deep passes/routes, despite the stereotype I had of him being a deep gunslinger

6 minutes ago, inyoutees said:

Jokes aside, I'm honestly curious what the outcome here will be.  PFF has Winston's poor production overwhelmingly on deep passes/routes, despite the stereotype I had of him being a deep gunslinger

Deep Ball Project over at Football Outsiders also has him rated lowly on truly deep passes. 

4 minutes ago, inyoutees said:

From an FF perspective he's been underrated imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Deep Ball Project over at Football Outsiders also has him rated lowly on truly deep passes. 

Never clicked with DeSean Jackson.