What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (2 Viewers)

I don’t see another fit for him. At least not as a starter. 
Vegas Raiders would be a possibility as I could see Gruden fixated on his talent and thinking "I can fix him". Not many other potential landing spots though, I agree. It's a shame because he has so much pure talent but he just can't learn not to force the ball into bad spots.

Vegas Raiders would be a possibility as I could see Gruden fixated on his talent and thinking "I can fix him". Not many other potential landing spots though, I agree. It's a shame because he has so much pure talent but he just can't learn not to force the ball into bad spots.
Isn't Gruden's offense still predicated on the West Coast style?  Shorter crossing routes aren't really Jameis' strength.  The Chucky staredown after every INT would be fun to watch though. 

Leroy Hoard said:
Not sure if there is another QB that needs to stay more than this guy. Different system and surrounding cast could be awful from an FF point of view.

Grahamburn said:
I don’t see another fit for him. At least not as a starter. 
He could backup Baker.  Or maybe a bridge to tua if he's not ready week 1.

But I'd agree, if he left Tampa he's not starting unless for a rookie or injury.

Leroy Hoard said:
Not sure if there is another QB that needs to stay more than this guy. Different system and surrounding cast could be awful from an FF point of view.
But I'd agree, if he left Tampa he's not starting unless for a rookie or injury.
I think there are other places he could start.

But to Leroy's point about FF value. Let me put it this way. I don't normally carry two QB's in FFPC leagues unless it's a stud. Last year he was a fantasy stud so as of now I'm planning to carry him as my second QB. If Tampa moves on from him I will just cut him and move on as well  because while I think he can start I don't see another team were he'd not have a tremendous blow to his fantasy value. What Leroy said about not sure if there is another QB that needs to stay more then him is one I could not agree with more, his whole fantasy value rests on it.

He hits the free Agent Market. Put your $ where your mouth is Gruden and sign him. Man, the looks Gruden will pump out on pick-6s would be worth the price of admission.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports: "Buccaneers and Jameis Winston have had communications as well."

The Buccaneers are reportedly laying it all on the line for Tom Brady, but it appears they aren't giving up on Winston just yet. Previously, GM Jason Licht said he's waiting for "the dominoes to fall" before making a decision on Winston's future. The first 30/30 TD/INT QB in NFL history obviously carries plenty of on-field baggage in the form of turnovers, although Winston has demonstrated a lofty ceiling from time to time and is just 26 years old.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

What's to become of Jameis Winston. Does New England kick the tires ?
Would be great theater and an awesome test of was it Bill or as it Brady. Hard to see.

At this point his absolute best bet seems to be able to come into a situation like WAS, LAC, CHI and compete. But I think CHI would rather have Foles or Dalton for the right price, LAC would rather draft a QB and WAS would rather obtain Cam for the right price. At this point I'm not optimistic he's even going to go to a place he has legit option to compete for a starting job even though I think he deserves at least a shot like that.

Anyone remember a QB who played more then half a season and was a top 5 fantasy QB who was out of a job the next year? He was #2 in total points and #3 in PPG weeks 1-16 in most of my leagues. What a tremendous blow to some fantasy teams if he was your only viable QB. Fantasy speaking, I think he just went poof.

Still young and talented, just a bit of a knucklehead. He'll get a contract but it's not going to be anywhere close to what he though he'd get.

Right now teams are filing their needs fast and he's running out of dance partners with capable QBs still left in FA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's a buy low in dynasty. The league is full of starters in their 30's and 40's. Winston turned 26yo THIS YEAR and still has the arm of a #1 pick(even if he doesn't have the head). His off-field stuff is going to also limit his number of opportunities as most team don't really want any baggage with a backup. If Tannehill can turn his career around in his 30's than Winston absolutely can do it at 26yo. There are just too many injuries and too many old QB's and too many QB's with mediocre arms for Winston not to get another chance..... but it may be a small sample and if he gets too many TO's he'll be on a shorter leash.

I think Cam moving on this year really hurts Winston. If you were in the market for a strong upside but risky QB right now I would think CAR would be willing to give him up for a bag of chips and Cam already has a team friendly contract. At 26yo Winston really needs to think about "FIT" more than contract right now. Just get a short contract in an offense system where he can have success and rehab his reputation both on and off the field. Replace Bridgewater in New Orleans on a very cheap contract if you have to.

Please let that happen. Washington would get a king's ransom for that 1.2 pick with Smokin' Joe Burrow available! 

Or hell we'd have a classic 2019 ARI decision to make. Burrow is a really great prospect, without the risk that Tua has. When held up against the easy choice of taking Chase Young, taking another QB (especially if it's Tua and his injury red flags) looks insane. But if Young is taken away as a choice,  and the #1 QB is the choice instead of Tua...you really have to think about it. As well as any insane trade down offers, as you said. 

Right now Wash has to be evaluating if Haskins is the guy and at 1.02 if they should pass on Young for Tua. If at 1.02 you find Burrow, select Burrow

I imagine that there is nothing more infuriating to a coach then a turnover. Jameis has another possible 20 interceptions that were dropped (video out there). You just can’t play winning football that way. He is fun for FF but in reality coaches would rather have a less gifted player that they can put more trust with ball security. New England would make for fun watching though...

ESPN's John Keim reports there's no chance of the Redskins acquiring Jameis Winston.

The market for Winston has been eerily quiet since the Buccaneers and Tom Brady made their plans official. There was some speculation that Winston could land in Washington as a backup, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The Redskins are expected to move forward with Dwayne Haskins and potentially Alex Smith (pending health) in 2020. The clock is ticking on Winston to find a home where he can be a Week 1 starter for next season.

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Mar 19, 2020, 10:21 AM ET

King of the Jungle said:
I imagine that there is nothing more infuriating to a coach then a turnover. Jameis has another possible 20 interceptions that were dropped (video out there). You just can’t play winning football that way. He is fun for FF but in reality coaches would rather have a less gifted player that they can put more trust with ball security. New England would make for fun watching though...
BB mic'd up while coaching Winston would be entertainment gold

I guess "check the stat sheet," and "I be ballin" were lacking introspection.  So humbling for him. 
Do you think he has enough insight to be humbled?  I really don't.  I think he cares more about his stats than wins. He is like the opposite of Brady. 

One of the posts above nailed it...he just DGAF.

Arians runs a very high passing volume offense. Allowing Jameis to learn another system, with a running game to rely on, and I see Jameis succeeding. I will keep stressing he isnt the type of prospect that comes along very often that you cam get on the cheap and dont have to trade tons of picks/players for.

Chase and him make the Bengals relevant again. Not sold on Burrow at all.

Jameis to the Bengals and drafting Young is the way to go!

Arians runs a very high passing volume offense. Allowing Jameis to learn another system, with a running game to rely on, and I see Jameis succeeding. I will keep stressing he isnt the type of prospect that comes along very often that you cam get on the cheap and dont have to trade tons of picks/players for.

I'm curious as to how much of Jamis you've seen play in the pros.  You've got a very high opinion of him based on what you've posted, and I don't see what you're seeing.

I see a high ceiling and a talented player who had alot of weight on his shoulders. Not alot of players have his numbers (the good ones and the bad ones) at his age. He went to the worst team in the league 5 years ago and has 6 wins (after a 2 win season), a 9 win season and a 7 win season. His 2 down seasons were injury riddled and bad offseasons for him. He is 26 and you have to give up 0 compensation to get him. Former #1 high school player, former College National Champion, Former #1 pick, former league leader in passing yards. Thats alot to accomplish by 25 years old. His ints were bad last year but prior to last season, they werent ridiculously high. I believe the arm talent, athleticism, LEADERSHIP (not a misprint), COMPETITIVE is all there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a high ceiling and a talented player who had alot of weight on his shoulders. Not alot of players have his numbers (the good ones and the bad ones) at his age. He went to the worst team in the league 5 years ago and has 6 wins (after a 2 win season), a 9 win season and a 7 win season. His 2 down seasons were injury riddled and bad offseasons for him. He is 26 and you have to give up 0 compensation to get him. Former #1 high school player, former College National Champion, Former #1 pick, former league leader in passing yards. Thats alot to accomplish by 25 years old. His ints were bad last year but prior to last season, they werent ridiculously high. I believe the arm talent, athleticism, LEADERSHIP (not a misprint), COMPETIVNESS
Bad year for Jameis to be a free agent.    Shelves barely stocked as is, and you want to sign grocery thief?   No city wants that right now.

I see a high ceiling and a talented player who had alot of weight on his shoulders. Not alot of players have his numbers (the good ones and the bad ones) at his age. He went to the worst team in the league 5 years ago and has 6 wins (after a 2 win season), a 9 win season and a 7 win season. His 2 down seasons were injury riddled and bad offseasons for him. He is 26 and you have to give up 0 compensation to get him. Former #1 high school player, former College National Champion, Former #1 pick, former league leader in passing yards. Thats alot to accomplish by 25 years old. His ints were bad last year but prior to last season, they werent ridiculously high. I believe the arm talent, athleticism, LEADERSHIP (not a misprint), COMPETITIVE is all there. 
I agree with a lot of this, but I also think Arians let him just rip it....and he did....

I don't think he is a bad kid but I do think he is very immature and that quality is very unforgiving when it comes to the QB position where you need to basically have a PHD in football while also being a leader and the face of the franchise which this kid was not ready for...this feels like Jeff George...you know the physical tools are there but is he mentally smart/strong enough to handle the rest...the most important thing for him right now is not whether he starts or is backup it is going to a stable franchise with a high-end Coach where he can grow up and get ready for his next opportunity because there is no doubt he will get one...if you look at the history of the NFL almost every great QB has one thing in common (besides talent)...they have played with a great and/or good Coach...that is no fluke...take a look at the list of Hall-of-Fame QBs below and for almost everyone of them you can immediately think of a Coach they are associated with and it is a very good one...Winston needs that badly and if he gets it there is still a chance he can become a big time QB.

Heck no. What a disaster that would be. He's terrible. Burrow is a Bengal and will help make Joe Mixon a bigger threat. This guy can sign with the Chargers when they realize that Tyrod is even worse. he can throw to my guy, Keenan Allen. I don't care if he throws 4 pick-6s a week as long as he throws to Allen 15 times a game.

He definitely has arm talent.  No question.  But he has a diva wr mindset which is unacceptable at the qb position.  

Lost in the fact that he threw 30 int is the fact he also had 12 fumbles. Pretty amazing to come off a season with 42 turnovers and talk about how good your stats are.  That explains perfectly what he values. 

I got an good stat for Winston.  Career TDs (pass and rush):131. Career turnovers:  138. He is more likely to turn the ball over than to score a TD. Not a formula for winning.  

Now if he can somehow come down to earth maybe he can turn it around.  Butlike you point out above he has been #1 all his life.  He thinks he s###'s gold.  

I think a change of scenary, good running game and balance offensive calling could help him become a very good qb. He is not a finished product, he has flashed good and bad......BUT i wouldnt give up on a kid with his upside who has been on 1 team with a very aggressive offensive minded coach.

I feel very comfortable saying he has his best football dayd ahead of him. 

From crab legs to interceptions he simply makes too many bad decisions.
He is still a young man. His college and early 20's got him a bad rap like alot of kids.

I am not even a big Jameis fan. I jist look at him as a great buy low in the NFL and how Cincy would come out ahead looking at my plan instead if drafting Burrow

Not sold on Burrow but you still believe in Winston? Time to bump up Burrow. Also the Redskins gm job will be open next year.

I think Burrow had a sensational year this year. One for the ages. I just dont like 1 year wonders. Wasnt a high recruit. Couldnt win the job at OSU and had his great year with phenomenial talent around him and a pro offensive coordinator. I dont see him succeeding at the next level. 

Jameis, however, gives you a QP ready to go AND allows you to draft Chase Young. Thats the biggest part of this.

I think Burrow had a sensational year this year. One for the ages. I just dont like 1 year wonders. Wasnt a high recruit. Couldnt win the job at OSU and had his great year with phenomenial talent around him and a pro offensive coordinator. I dont see him succeeding at the next level. 

Jameis, however, gives you a QP ready to go AND allows you to draft Chase Young. Thats the biggest part of this.
Unsubscribe

How did he end up at a premiere program if he wasn’t a high recruit? And he was “beat out” at OSU by Justin Fields who will be an early NFL pick also.

How did he end up at a premiere program if he wasn’t a high recruit? And he was “beat out” at OSU by Justin Fields who will be an early NFL pick also.
He played 1 year out of 4 in college.

Coming i to this year he wouldnt have been drafted.

I think he can be a good QB in the NFL and I am not really saying I think Jameis is better (maybe i am) but I am saying Chase Young and Jameis makes them better than just Burrow by himself. Chase Young is a stud and by far the best player in this draft

He played 1 year out of 4 in college.

Coming i to this year he wouldnt have been drafted.

I think he can be a good QB in the NFL and I am not really saying I think Jameis is better (maybe i am) but I am saying Chase Young and Jameis makes them better than just Burrow by himself. Chase Young is a stud and by far the best player in this draft
Winston is the epitome of the pampered millennial superstar prima donna high school and college athlete.  He has never matured from his many off-field missteps and does not demonstrate the work ethic and maturity needed to be a franchise QB.  His recent comments show he's in denial and doesn't accept any accountability for his shortcomings and he doesn't have the motivation to work to improve them.  The first step is admitting you have a problem.

And I'm an OSU guy who saw Chase Young put up great film against the weak non-conference schedule and Big-10 doormats.  But I saw him do nothing vs Penn St, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Clemson.  I have to say he's overrated.

Burrow just put up arguably the best college QB season ever, but it was just one year, and then he's got those small hands (haha).  But does it really matter what the Bungles do?  As long as Mike Brown is running things, the only certainty is that they will screw it up.

I could continue to be duped by the arm/age/ceiling/talent argument but what negates it for me is that there's just no evolution in his game over five full seasons. Even if you could point at the tiniest incremental, positive trend year to year (i.e. Here's a mistake Winston used to make but doesn't anymore) but I just don't see it. Teams will kick his tires as a starter at their own peril and IMO his game is not what you're generally looking for in a backup either. When your starter goes down in a big game, do you really want this guy coming into the huddle eating Ws and throwing picks?

Users who are viewing this thread