What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (2 Viewers)

David Carr had his own issues at playing QB in the NFL, he should probably keep to himself on things like this.
Dude was a coward and couldn't even grasp the easiest parts of being an NFL QB. I mean who runs out of bounds behind the LOS when you can throw the ball 15 rows into the seats? David Carr, that's who. Kubiak said it all when he arrived there and said 'How can you not know that", referring to something else that was NFL QB 101 as well.

lod001 said:
Dude was a coward and couldn't even grasp the easiest parts of being an NFL QB. I mean who runs out of bounds behind the LOS when you can throw the ball 15 rows into the seats? David Carr, that's who. Kubiak said it all when he arrived there and said 'How can you not know that", referring to something else that was NFL QB 101 as well.
There’s a lot of criticism to be had of Winston but being a coward isn’t one. They both might fail but it will be for total opposite reasons. Interesting contrast. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a lot of criticism to be had of Winston but being a coward isn’t one. They both might fail but it will be or total opposite reasons. Interesting contrast. 
Carr is the coward. read it again.

David Carr had his own issues at playing QB in the NFL, he should probably keep to himself on things like this.
Nobody in this thread or forum has ever played in the nfl sooooooooo...? 

David Carr is in the top 99.9999% of people to ever grip a football. I’m pretty sure he can have an opinion. 

edit: his opinion is stupid here but he at least has the credentials to have it. 

Nobody in this thread or forum has ever played in the nfl sooooooooo...? 

David Carr is in the top 99.9999% of people to ever grip a football. I’m pretty sure he can have an opinion. 

edit: his opinion is stupid here but he at least has the credentials to have it. 
Sure but it seems pretty classless calling the guy out publicly like that on ESPN or NFLN. Winston doesn’t even have a job now. Just seems like a former QB who knows how tough the job is and how terrible the media can be might show a little more professional respect. 

Sure but it seems pretty classless calling the guy out publicly like that on ESPN or NFLN. Winston doesn’t even have a job now. Just seems like a former QB who knows how tough the job is and how terrible the media can be might show a little more professional respect. 
I totally agree I just always dislike the “he sucked in the nfl so what does he know” shtick - commonly applied to guys like Trent Dilfer too. They’ve climbed to the top of an almost impossible mountain. 

I totally agree I just always dislike the “he sucked in the nfl so what does he know” shtick - commonly applied to guys like Trent Dilfer too. They’ve climbed to the top of an almost impossible mountain. 
Oh I agree Carr knows plenty. I can see where you are coming from. It wasn’t a shot at his knowledge at all, just lack of empathy.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Jameis Winston is "being methodical" with his decisions on the open market.

"It is possible that he waits until after the draft to take advantage of a team that thought they were going to get [a quarterback] and did not end up taking one," Rapoport added on Winston's status. The only thing methodical about Winston's "choices" in free agency are the number of teams — an ongoing list that includes the Redskins, Patriots, and Steelers — reportedly bowing out. With no realistic suitor in mind, consider it written that the 26-year-old transition from leading the league in passing yards (5,102) to backing up a capable veteran only one year later. Winston shouldn't be expected to latch on with another franchise until May.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, Pittsburgh Steelers

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 20, 2020, 3:44 PM ET

This is controversial in NO. But before the Saints has Bridgewater they had Tom Savage and other candidates were of similar ilk.

The complexity of the Saints offense has a lot to do with Brees. Bridgewater was far more limited in the array of plays, and what Peyton specializes is giving the QB quick available options to avoid trouble. Bridgewater thrived with that and possibly JW could too.

Appears he's signing with the Saints per Rotoworld.

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports the Saints are finalizing a one-year deal with free agent QB Jameis Winston.

No details have been released just yet, but the deal is supposed to be "economical" since the Saints have roughly $3.5 million in cap space available. Winston also won't be guaranteed the backup role behind Drew Brees, instead competing with Taysom Hill, who was retained this offseason with a first-round tender, while also giving the team another viable arm in the event Hill gets injured in his atypical sub-package roles. Taysom has been widely viewed as the heir apparent once Brees reportedly walks away for an analyst job with NBC Sports next offseason, but Winston could very well maneuver his way into the organization's long-term plans with a little bit of luck and successful showing. It's not what the 26-year-old had in mind after throwing for the eighth-most passing yards (5,109) in a single-season in league history last year, but there's a lot to like for both parties in this agreement if the numbers can be agreed upon.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Apr 26, 2020, 4:23 AM ET

This is controversial in NO. But before the Saints has Bridgewater they had Tom Savage and other candidates were of similar ilk.

The complexity of the Saints offense has a lot to do with Brees. Bridgewater was far more limited in the array of plays, and what Peyton specializes is giving the QB quick available options to avoid trouble. Bridgewater thrived with that and possibly JW could too.
There were several reasons why Jameis interceptions shot up his last season, but the primary was Arians system to let the long plays open up.  He looked great when he made the big pass, but Koetters o gave him a safety net with more screens.

Great decision by Jameis, he was wise to turn down those other offers. 

Should also be a great fit for NO. Keeps them as contenders even after Brees retires. 

Great decision by Jameis, he was wise to turn down those other offers. 

Should also be a great fit for NO. Keeps them as contenders even after Brees retires. 
Could work, sure. 

But if it's a one year deal the best case for NO is they won't see him in a meaningful game.

As a Winston dynasty owner I don't think you could dream a better situation. Heck I'd rather him sit a year, even 2 if Brees doesn't go to the Booth in 2021, than say sign with NE and play with that crappy offense that has no weapons. This is ideal. 

Saints signed QB Jameis Winston to a one-year contract.

Winston's 30 interceptions tanked his chances of being an NFL starter in 2020, but of all backup jobs, the Saints' one is arguably the best. He will get to learn under a quarterback allergic to turnovers in Drew Brees this season and could inherit the starting job when Brees retires, which likely will be after this season. Winston's arm talent would shine in the Superdome with coach Sean Payton, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, Emmanuel Sanders, and Jared Cook if he's forced into action at some point this season. As a 25-year-old last season, Winston averaged 8.2 yards per attempt on his way to 5,109 yards. Winston is a project worth working on, especially at his reduced price tag.

RELATED: 

Drew Brees

, Taysom Hill

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Saints on Twitter

Apr 28, 2020, 6:11 PM ET

Absolute steal by the Saints. Going to a great system with a prickly but offensive-minded coach with tons of weapons. Will sit and learn the system for a year and then it'll be either him or Taysom Hill to start in 2021 if Brees retires.

EDIT: I guess we will never get a thread rename, huhn?

Jameis Winston's one-year contract with the Saints is worth just $1.1 million.

The deal contains another $4.7 million in incentives that Winston can earn with playing time in the regular season or playoffs or by making the Pro Bowl. All of that seems unlikely. Winston will collect a $952,000 base salary along with a $148,000 signing bonus to back up Drew Brees. Winston didn't take this deal for the money, but instead for the "Harvard education" in the same room with Brees and coach Sean Payton in an effort to sort of rejuvenate his career. As Bucs reporter Greg Auman noted, Winston made $1.23 million per week last season.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 29, 2020, 10:24 AM ET

Saints QB Jameis Winston (Lasik) said his "depth perception has increased."

"No blurriness, and I think that's huge," Winston said during his Zoom call with Saints media. "I can read license plates. I can read street signs. I think the precision in the vision is the biggest difference." The full quote can be viewed in the link below. Jameis' league-high 30 interceptions from last year can be partly attributed to his lack of vision downfield, but there's no defense for loitering in the pocket and taking the fourth-most sacks (47) under center. It will be interesting to see if Lasik improves questionable decision-making.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Apr 29, 2020, 3:18 PM ET

I heard JW on WWL recently, he sounded intense, humble, committed to learning under Payton and Brees. The underlying implication was that there is some sort of fascination with the decision making in the Saints offense and whatever they know he wants to get to.

Rookie QBs must start ASAP; top 5 trench teams; truth about Jameis

Excerpt:

JAMEIS WINSTON: The truth about his Bucs tenure

Tyler Dunne's Bleacher Report feature on Jameis Winston raised eyebrows across America this week, specifically the quote where the former No. 1 overall pick confidently proclaimed his stature among quarterbacks.

"I know what I'm worth," Winston told Dunne. "And I know, day in and day out, without publicly coming in and saying it, that, historically, I'm one of the best quarterbacks to play the game."

Now, I understand why that kind of self-confidence sends sports talk radio into a tizzy. But before you spit out your drink or snicker at Winston's audaciousness, you might want to re-check his resume.

Jameis just became the eighth quarterback in league history to pass for 5,000 yards in a single season, joining Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford and Drew Brees, who's actually accomplished the feat five times. At age 26, Winston has thrown for the second-most passing yards of any NFL quarterback through five seasons, trailing only Manning. Moreover, Winston has more touchdowns (121) through his first five seasons than Brett Favre (108), Kurt Warner (101), Brady (87) and Brees (80). Think about that: The guy who has been the butt of all jokes since becoming the first quarterback with 30 touchdown passes and 30 interceptions in a single season is a certified baller with a slate of numbers that put him in the same early-career stratosphere as a number of Hall of Fame types.

That's why I'm not mad at the sixth-year pro for boldly tooting his own horn. The confidence and swagger might rub some the wrong way, but you can't dispute Winston's numbers when you make an apples-to-apples comparison to others through five professional seasons. He has played at an all-star level at times, flashing spectacular potential when he is on his game.

I know what you're thinking: What about the questionable decision-making from the pocket? That's a fair concern, but honestly, I believe the turnover talk around Jameis is a bit overblown. Although Winston's 111 turnovers are the most in the NFL since 2015, his 88 interceptions are still fewer than the 100 picks thrown by Manning over his first five seasons. Let that marinate for a minute. The guy viewed as the ultimate turnover machine has thrown fewer picks than a five-time MVP did through this stage of his career. Yet, the football world is ready to dismiss the Winston as a bust or underachiever at the position.

"He's talented," an NFC scout told me. "There's no doubt that he can play in our league, but he was dinged for his turnovers and some of the pre-draft stuff that continues to cloud his evaluation."

Clearly, Winston needs to cut down his giveaways and miscues, but he's too talented to dismiss at this juncture. That's why I believe the New Orleans Saints walked away with a steal when they inked Winston on a one-year, $1.1 million deal. He's a more talented thrower than Taysom Hill and former Saints backup Teddy Bridgewater. He's also a pinpoint passer with the capacity to throw with touch, timing and anticipation, particularly when working the middle of the field. Although Winston's fearlessness will lead to some interceptions when he attempts to squeeze throws into tight windows, the aggressiveness also results in touchdowns when he's on the same page with his pass catchers in the red zone.

Prior to last season, Winston had never thrown 20 interceptions in a season. While the football world points to his 30-interception season as the tipping point of his demise, it is really an outlier on a robust resume that's been fueled by his aggressive approach.

In New Orleans this year, Winston will get a chance to learn under an excellent quarterback tutor and play designer in Sean Payton. The creative offensive wizard has an expansive playbook layered with a variety of four-vertical route combinations, as well as pick-and-rub crossing routes that give a quarterback more layups and high-completion throws. In addition, the Saints feature a comprehensive screen game and running back option package that enable the passer to pile up cheap yards on dump-offs to Alvin Kamara.

Obviously, Brees remains the QB1 in New Orleans for 2020, but he's 41 years old, so health is obviously a concern. It's not hard to imagine Winston being pressed into service at some point. Not to mention, this could be Brees' last hurrah. Could Winston end up sticking in the Big Easy beyond this season? Sure. If an aging Brees can ring up 4,000-yard seasons largely playing small ball in New Orleans, imagine what a home-run hitter like Winston could do with a more disciplined approach from the pocket.

Considering Manning became a gold standard at the position after curbing his turnover woes, there's no reason why Winston can't eventually become an all-time great if/when he figures it out with the Saints.

I can't stop buying in SFlex leagues. I like his chances at getting another shot and making more fantasy noise. 
I got him late in a SF league after taking Lamar Jacksonand Drew Brees. Then he goes and signs with the Saints so I have two QBs from the same team. But I'm not all that mad, he should come out this this smarter and maybe be with the Saints again next year.

"He's talented," an NFC scout told me. "There's no doubt that he can play in our league, but he was dinged for his turnovers and some of the pre-draft stuff that continues to cloud his evaluation."

This can't be a real quote, 'dinged' for turnovers like 39 turnovers last year is not that big of a deal.  And 6 years into the league saying his pre-draft stuff continues to cloud his evaluation is beyond ridiculous.

He's worth a flyer probably if you have extra roster space but here's a quote from his coach last year:

“There’s so much good,” Arians said. “And there’s so much outright terrible. So we’ve got to weigh that and see what happens.”

I got him late in a SF league after taking Lamar Jacksonand Drew Brees. Then he goes and signs with the Saints so I have two QBs from the same team. But I'm not all that mad, he should come out this this smarter and maybe be with the Saints again next year.
I like that Winston will sit and learn for a year. You have to think he has a good chance at succeeding Brees if it is indeed his last year. That is a sexy, long-term landing spot.

voiceofunreason said:
Him saying he’s one of the better qbs to play is why guys like him never get better.
Confidence in that line of work is important. Go invest in the Mariota’s. I’ll take the Winston’s. 

Jameis just became the eighth quarterback in league history to pass for 5,000 yards in a single season, joining Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford and Drew Brees, who's actually accomplished the feat five times.
I know stats can be dumb, but I do not think this is meaningless.

Users who are viewing this thread