What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (5 Viewers)

He looked pretty good last night. At least one of his INTs was an amazing throw and the WR just stopped running. For literally no reason. I loved it since I wanted Louisville to win, but his 2nd pick could hardly be blamed on him, it would have been a great throw had the WR finished his route.

Afterwards on the sideline they showed the coach, the WR, and Winston. The coach just stood there and Winston reamed out the WR while he nodded and looked away. Winston really runs this team on the field and it's hard to argue that he's a winner. He just finds ways to win games, and on the field that's all that matters.

Will he stay on the field and not get suspended for seasons at a time? Who knows. If he can stop being immature and maybe get a life coach or something perhaps he can turn things around like Dez in Dallas.
Yup. And his touchdown that was called back on the hold may have been the best pass of his career. Absolute beauty. Dropped in the perfect spot.

How about the bullet to E$ that made the 2 Louisville DBs run into each other. Man that was close!

Ham and egger? JaMarcus?

Come on. He looks like a more accurate Cam Newton. His QB skills....what's the negative? Is there one?

My question with Winston is all upstairs. What will he do with a bunch of money, on a bad team? Besides actually paying for his groceries, I mean.

His game has absolutely nothing in common with Jamarcus or Cam. You guys gotta start thinking outside the tall black QB box.
ive got concerns about him translating, but those comps are just plain lazy. Easy to identify who hasn't watched him much though.

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston was given a -4.9 grade from Pro Football Focus for his performance against Louisville.

"Just far too many misreads and mistakes down the field for Winston in this one," Michael Renner writes. "He had three interceptions on the day, all three the result of forcing throws into coverage." A telling statistic by PFF noted Winston was 0 for 8 when throwing outside the hash marks on passes that traveled more than 10 yards downfield. Winston is having to do a lot with less talent around him this season, but he is forcing things too often, especially during first halves.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Nov 3 - 10:58 AM

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston earned praise from one scout who spoke with SI's Inside Read.
"If you need a quarterback, it’s going to be a tough decision to make," the scout said. "He’s really good. Like really, really good." The scout added he does not see how a team could say Marcus Mariota is a better player than Winston on-field, outside of the 49ers and Eagles due to their offense. Outside of the sexual assault incident, the evaluator simply calls Winston's off-field incidents "immature" and discussed how clutch the quarterback has been int he second half to go along with the pre-snap checks he makes.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Nov 5 - 12:22 PM
Despite holding an 8-0 record, FSU has trailed at halftime in four of their eight games this season.
Obviously Jameis Winston has played poorly in many first halves this season, but then he seemingly turns it around in the second and elevates his play. According to ESPN, Winston "leads the FBS in yards per attempt (10.5) and third-down conversion percentage (75%)" when trailing in the second half. The first and second half divide will give evaluators something to think over during the draft process.

Source: ESPN
Nov 4 - 11:56 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that "it's naive" to think that FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston will automatically plummet in the draft based on character concerns.

McShay admitted that it was difficult to figure out how to rate Winston on his board (Winston shows up at No. 9 on McShay's), especially because, for all of his immaturity, Winston has shown on multiple occasions to be a very good on-field general. FSU has trailed at the half in four of their eight games to this point and is still undefeated. McShay indicated that talent often wins out over other factors on Draft Day, saying "I think it's naive...to think that he's necessarily going to go plummeting down the board. How he does during the pre-draft process, particularly the psychological testing component, will be a determining factor."

Source: ESPN Insider
Nov 5 - 8:54 PM

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston earned praise from one scout who spoke with SI's Inside Read.
"If you need a quarterback, it’s going to be a tough decision to make," the scout said. "He’s really good. Like really, really good." The scout added he does not see how a team could say Marcus Mariota is a better player than Winston on-field, outside of the 49ers and Eagles due to their offense. Outside of the sexual assault incident, the evaluator simply calls Winston's off-field incidents "immature" and discussed how clutch the quarterback has been int he second half to go along with the pre-snap checks he makes.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Nov 5 - 12:22 PM
Despite holding an 8-0 record, FSU has trailed at halftime in four of their eight games this season.
Obviously Jameis Winston has played poorly in many first halves this season, but then he seemingly turns it around in the second and elevates his play. According to ESPN, Winston "leads the FBS in yards per attempt (10.5) and third-down conversion percentage (75%)" when trailing in the second half. The first and second half divide will give evaluators something to think over during the draft process.

Source: ESPN
Nov 4 - 11:56 AM
Not saying he is guilty of point shaving, but the bolded above becomes much more interesting if you consider point shaving is a possibility

Get outta here.....no way thats close to being real.

Jameis might be a little immature but hes not that dumb.
Shoplifting Crab legs and yelling a profane phrase in front of hundreds of people? Yes, he COULD be that dumb.

He may not have done it, but it's not because he's not dumb enough to do it.

Even Maurice Clarett wasn't dumb enough to shave points.

TMZ better watch out...they are drifting toward that "get sued" line they don't want to cross

Statorama said:

TMZ better watch out...they are drifting toward that "get sued" line they don't want to cross
I doubt it's legit, but the tmz track record recently is pretty good.

Statorama said:

Maurice Clarett wasn't really dumb at all.

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston threw for 261 yards and a score on Saturday.

Winston's made a bad habit of turning the ball over in the first-half and he did it again against Virginia, throwing two interceptions in the first quarter. The first wasn't completely Winston's fault, as freshman Travis Rudolph stopped in the middle of his route. The second came on the next possession when Winston tried to force the ball in to his target. Yet again, Winston was able to overcome mistakes to lead his team to a win going away, but several quarterbacks in the 2015 draft class (including Marcus Mariota and UCLA's Brett Hundley) have been playing well of late, which could cause Winston's position to slip a little if he's unable to shore up his unforced errors.

Nov 9 - 3:42 PM

Rotoworld:

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson and Pat Forde report the NCAA "has nothing" regarding the point-shaving allegation associating FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston.

The story had a soft foundation to begin with, but this practically shuts the door on the issue. Robinson and Forde state the NCAA sent an email asking for proof "and that's it." Basically, it was made up.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter
Nov 10 - 9:30 AM

Winston supporters should pay close attention to tonight's game because that is what Winston is going to look like minus the running speed.

Winston supporters should pay close attention to tonight's game because that is what Winston is going to look like minus the running speed.
Yes, a black QB is having a bad game tonight. We get your point, Governor Wallace.

Yes, a black QB is having a bad game tonight. We get your point, Governor Wallace.
No, a guy that sucks at QB is sucking real bad tonight.
Yea ok.

Why didn't you post this when Cutler had a terrible game last night? He and Jameis have more in common football-wise than Cam and Jameis do.

Yea ok.

Why didn't you post this when Cutler had a terrible game last night? He and Jameis have more in common football-wise than Cam and Jameis do.
Cutler is like Jeff George as one poster said earlier of which I agreed.

Yea ok.Why didn't you post this when Cutler had a terrible game last night? He and Jameis have more in common football-wise than Cam and Jameis do.
But Jameis isn't like Cam. At all. They have absolutely nothing in common with the way they play quarterback.

Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
Yea ok.Why didn't you post this when Cutler had a terrible game last night? He and Jameis have more in common football-wise than Cam and Jameis do.
But Jameis isn't like Cam. At all. They have absolutely nothing in common with the way they play quarterback.
When Winston gets to the NFL his play will look exactly like sCam's play tonight. Doesn't matter if you don't think the way they play is the same or not. He will miss open WRs, he will take big sacks because he will hold onto the ball too long, etc. You will find out that I am spot on next year. You will blame others though. WR's, coaches, OL, etc. Just like people did when I said David Carr sucks. Just like when I said Tim Tebow would suck. Just like I said when sCam entered the NFL. WRs are not wide open all day like when these guys played in college.

You totally misread my statement to try and make it fit your agenda.

Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
When Winston gets to the NFL his play will look exactly like sCam's play tonight. Doesn't matter if you don't think the way they play is the same or not. He will miss open WRs, he will take big sacks because he will hold onto the ball too long, etc. You will find out that I am spot on next year. You will blame others though. WR's, coaches, OL, etc. Just like people did when I said David Carr sucks. Just like when I said Tim Tebow would suck. Just like I said when sCam entered the NFL. WRs are not wide open all day like when these guys played in college.You totally misread my statement to try and make it fit your agenda.
FSU guys aren't "running wide open". He's throwing them open. His anticipation is off the charts good. Btw, the offense he runs in college is nowhere near what Carr, Tebow and Cam ran.

I'm not misreading your agenda, you just have no idea what you're talking about.

Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
When Winston gets to the NFL his play will look exactly like sCam's play tonight. Doesn't matter if you don't think the way they play is the same or not. He will miss open WRs, he will take big sacks because he will hold onto the ball too long, etc. You will find out that I am spot on next year. You will blame others though. WR's, coaches, OL, etc. Just like people did when I said David Carr sucks. Just like when I said Tim Tebow would suck. Just like I said when sCam entered the NFL. WRs are not wide open all day like when these guys played in college.You totally misread my statement to try and make it fit your agenda.
FSU guys aren't "running wide open". :lmao: His anticipation is off the charts good. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Btw, the offense he runs in college is nowhere near what Carr, Tebow and Cam ran.

I'm not misreading your agenda, you just have no idea what you're talking about.
Talk about having no idea what you are talking about. Like the rest, you will see. The Tebowners were set straight, the Carr lover were set straight, the Newton lovers have been set straight.

Watch this so called 'highlight' reel. You probably call that 'throwing them open'. :lmao: In the NFL the 1st 3 snaps get his ### planted in the ground.

I am thoroughly going to enjoy owning the Jameis Stinkston thread next year.

I don't need to watch a highlight reel. I've seen every snap he's taken. I know what I'm talking about, but you can keep linking 3-minute YouTube videos and comparing him to tall black QBs.

An NFL GM would have to be seriously desperate or seriously nuts to be willing to literally tie his job to burning a high draft pick and the future of the franchise for the next decade on a kid like this.

And not just managing him as a rookie, but having to be ready to go into immediate damage control constantly for years plus having to deal with his extension/resigning in a few years. This kid has a lot of potential downside for a GM's career when there are other viable options that carry a lot less risk. His game just isn't that level of great to be willing to look past that downside, IMO.

An NFL GM would have to be seriously desperate or seriously nuts to be willing to literally tie his job to burning a high draft pick and the future of the franchise for the next decade on a kid like this.

And not just managing him as a rookie, but having to be ready to go into immediate damage control constantly for years plus having to deal with his extension/resigning in a few years. This kid has a lot of potential downside for a GM's career when there are other viable options that carry a lot less risk. His game just isn't that level of great to be willing to look past that downside, IMO.
What do the Bucs have to lose by taking a chance on him - another decade of mediocrity?

What do the Bucs have to lose by taking a chance on him - another decade of mediocrity?
Yes. If that's their business plan.

Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
Premier said:
lod01 said:
FSU guys aren't "running wide open". He's throwing them open. His anticipation is off the charts good. Btw, the offense he runs in college is nowhere near what Carr, Tebow and Cam ran.

Exactly he's running the offense of Jamarcus, Ponder, and EJ!

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl highlighted positives in FSU QB Jameis Winston's play versus Notre Dame.

"Jameis' is fearless in the pocket. Willing to play with his foot in the ground and finish in the face of pressure," Weidl tweeted. The evaluator then spotlighted Winston's anticipation and accuracy in the second half, calling it exceptional. "Ball consistently out before WRs out of breaks," Weidl added, which is a skill not every NFL quarterback possesses. We are not saying Winston is consistently an anticipation thrower, but he has flashed it.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
Nov 12 - 10:58 AM

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl highlighted positives in FSU QB Jameis Winston's play versus Notre Dame.

"Jameis' is fearless in the pocket. Willing to play with his foot in the ground and finish in the face of pressure," Weidl tweeted. The evaluator then spotlighted Winston's anticipation and accuracy in the second half, calling it exceptional. "Ball consistently out before WRs out of breaks," Weidl added, which is a skill not every NFL quarterback possesses. We are not saying Winston is consistently an anticipation thrower, but he has flashed it.

Yea but Jameis STINKston just has guys running wide open and is going to be a BUST like guys who have similar game to him such as Cam Newton, Michael Vick and Geno Smith.

With Winston's hearing postponed until the 1st...

"If the proceedings conclude on Dec. 5, Major Harding, a former Florida Supreme Court judge who is conducting the investigative hearing, would not be due to render a decision until Jan. 13, one day after the championship game."

Rotoworld:

Yea but Jameis STINKston just has guys running wide open and is going to be a BUST like guys who have similar game to him such as Cam Newton, Michael Vick and Geno Smith.
I'm hoping you're going for over-the-top sarcasm here.

Rotoworld:

I'm hoping you're going for over-the-top sarcasm here.
Might want to read back a few pages. Or even this one.

I don't need to watch a highlight reel. I've seen every snap he's taken. I know what I'm talking about, but you can keep linking 3-minute YouTube videos and comparing him to tall black QBs.
He has a little Doug Williams in him. Squint & he's similar to Tee Martin

After using a high draft pick on Carr & being burnt on Jamarcus, I doubt Oakland touches him.

Jets should draft him, but they may have to trade up.

Bucs need a QB bad.

Tennessee needs a QB bad.

Jax won't draft him after using such a high pick on Bortles

ATL doesn't need a QB

Hou. should consider trading up

KC would have to trade up

Stl. Would need to trade up.

I only really see about 6 teams looking to take a high QB this year.

Rotoworld:

About time you woke up from your fantasy world.

Oh, you forgot Tim Tebow and David Carr, but then, they don't fit your hidden agenda.

lod01 said:
Premier said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

About time you woke up from your fantasy world.

Oh, you forgot Tim Tebow and David Carr, but then, they don't fit your hidden agenda.
Hidden agenda? You're the once comparing him to players who are NOTHING like him, except that they are black.

Why didn't you compare him to Branden Weeden? Or Matt Leinart? Or Brady Quinn?

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Winston does a lot of good things well, but it's all about consistency. He was awful in the first half against ND but was clutch in the 2nd half, although he was bailed out by great play from his WR's. Would like to see him fix that wobble on his passes but it appears to be due to his messed up finger.

He's certainly not Tebow and doesn't wilt under pressure like Geno but I'm 50/50 on how he'll do in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread