What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (5 Viewers)

lod01 said:
Premier said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl highlighted positives in FSU QB Jameis Winston's play versus Notre Dame.

"Jameis' is fearless in the pocket. Willing to play with his foot in the ground and finish in the face of pressure," Weidl tweeted. The evaluator then spotlighted Winston's anticipation and accuracy in the second half, calling it exceptional. "Ball consistently out before WRs out of breaks," Weidl added, which is a skill not every NFL quarterback possesses. We are not saying Winston is consistently an anticipation thrower, but he has flashed it.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Nov 12 - 10:58 AM
Yea but Jameis STINKston just has guys running wide open and is going to be a BUST like guys who have similar game to him such as Cam Newton, Michael Vick and Geno Smith.
About time you woke up from your fantasy world.Oh, you forgot Tim Tebow and David Carr, but then, they don't fit your hidden agenda.
Hidden agenda? You're the once comparing him to players who are NOTHING like him, except that they are black.

Why didn't you compare him to Branden Weeden? Or Matt Leinart? Or Brady Quinn?
:goodposting:

I was expecting it to be much to do about nothing but there is enough there to warrant a penalty. He is really not showing the official any respect. I have seen an NFL player get ejected and fined for much less (ie Harrison Smith).
Jimbo Fisher made a statement that the official should not be allowed to do anymore FSU games. Fisher went on to say how Jameis could have hurt his throwing arm by having to move the ref.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm FAR from a fan of Winston or FSU, but that's no big deal. If the ref was trying to hold up the snap he should have been over the ball, not behind the center.

Hidden agenda? You're the once comparing him to players who are NOTHING like him, except that they are black.

Why didn't you compare him to Branden Weeden? Or Matt Leinart? Or Brady Quinn?
:goodposting:
Because he's not that good. Here's the facts. He's a screaming bust in the NFL and any team that makes the mistake of picking this guy, sets their team back 3 years easy. He's a pick magnet in college. Imagine how bad he is going to stink against complex NFL defenses. You won't be happy.

Except this evaluation leaves out the single largest question mark - his 5 cent off the field brain.

When you are talking about the most importing position that can tie up a franchise for 3-5 years, don't know how an evaluation is worth the screen its presented on without that reality.

Except this evaluation leaves out the single largest question mark - his 5 cent off the field brain.

When you are talking about the most importing position that can tie up a franchise for 3-5 years, don't know how an evaluation is worth the screen its presented on without that reality.
Big difference between being dumb and being an entitled, small-town-god.

His actions suggest he is both. Can't speak to his academic abilities, but he's an idiot with the repeated issues.

Is there?

They can both be fatal to a QBs career.
There is a difference.

He just happens to be both. If either one is fatal, imagine the combination. You'd need to be a fool of a GM to take this guy in any place where you feel it's necessary to play him within the first year and likely 2-3 so he can work on the mechanics and work on his peabrain head.

Rotoworld:

Coming off a four-interception performance against Florida, FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "must show onlookers he remains confident and courageous in the pocket," according to NFL Media Analyst Bucky Brooks.
"Coming off a four-interception performance against Florida, Winston must show onlookers he remains confident and courageous in the pocket. Evaluators will closely monitor whether he hesitates before making a tight-window throw over the middle of the field or if he pulls the trigger and lets it rip when he sees a receiver working open in traffic," Brooks wrote. Winston threw three interceptions in the first quarter alone against Florida, finishing with a career-high four interceptions. On the year, Winston now has a total of 17 interceptions. Brooks notes that "if Winston plays loose and carefree against Georgia Tech after his horrendous showing a week ago, scouts will feel better about his mental toughness and ability to handle adversity as a potential franchise quarterback."

Source: NFL.com
Dec 5 - 3:54 PM

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "flashes Pro Bowl accuracy," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
"Winston has excellent instincts, flashes Pro Bowl accuracy on challenging intermediate and deep passes and is so difficult to bring down that he's often compared to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Winston has a tendency to lock onto his primary target and has been especially vulnerable to shallow defenders dropping back in front of his intended receivers," Rang wrote. The FSU prospect had a solid outing on Saturday, completing 21 of 30 attempts for 309 yards and three touchdowns in FSU's 37-35 win over Georgia Tech. Rang adds that Winston "possesses the combination of size, functional mobility, anticipation and arm talent to warrant No. 1 overall consideration and frankly, due to Florida State's pro-style offense, he is a cleaner projection to the NFL than Mariota."

Source: CBS Sports
Dec 8 - 3:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

Former NFL executive Greg Gabriel says he would not draft FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston in any round.

"As good as he is on the field, he is extremely immature off, and there is not a doubt in my mind that his off-field issues have brought about the regression in his play this year," Gabriel writes. The former Bears director of college scouting also writes Winston has "excellent overall strength and athleticism" and projects the quarterback to run in 4.6's. "His overall athleticism is similar to Cam Newton’s but he is just not quite as fast as Newton was coming out," Gabriel adds. If that is true, it would be both surprising and beneficial to Winston's evaluation.

Source: National Football Post

Dec 12 - 11:14 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Prospect-Focus-Jameis-Winston.html

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline notes in his latest top-10 mock draft that "with Mettenberger on the mend" the Titans could possibly be forced to "reach" for FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston.

"It pains me to put Winston in this slot as I don’t think he deserves to be a top six selection. We always witness teams reach for signal callers and the Titans may be backed into a corner with Mettenberger on the mend," Pauline wrote. The Titans will have to weigh what they’ve seen from Mettenberger this season against the idea of having a top quarterback prospect in next year's draft.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Dec 11 - 2:42 PM

jameis needs to come back to college for one more year from a maturity standpoint and QB development standpoint. I don't think he is ready for the NFL

jameis needs to come back to college for one more year from a maturity standpoint and QB development standpoint. I don't think he is ready for the NFL
Yea that's not going to happen.
you never know. his dad did say he is coming back for his education. If I was him I would go pro. also some rumors here in Tallahassee is he might not be welcomed back

Yea that's not going to happen.
you never know. his dad did say he is coming back for his education. If I was him I would go pro. also some rumors here in Tallahassee is he might not be welcomed back
Before the whole student conduct thing I could see him coming back due to how much he loves baseball. But that ship has certainly sailed.

It is beyond time for everybody to move on.

Rotoworld:

Returning to Florida State might show the NFL that redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston is maturing, notes NFL.com's Charles Davis.

"His process, if he comes out after this year, is going to be very tough," the analyst wrote. "The vetting process NFL teams go through on Winston's background will be intense given the off-field concerns. That process might still be tough for Winston even if he waits another year before declaring for the draft, but a year in school without off-the-field incidents would send a strong signal that he's maturing. If he enters the league before he's ready from a maturity standpoint, it could really cut down the length of his professional career." While this may be true, there's no way Winston is returning. Unless he suffers a major injury during the CFB Playoff or gets in another big off-the-field incident, Winston is expected to be a top-five pick in the spring.

Source: NFL.com
Dec 18 - 1:17 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah said that he's seen FSU redshirt sophomore Jameis Winston "start the right side and work 1,2,3 all the way across the field, and that’s not something you see a lot in college football anymore."

Here, here. "Obviously he’s got great size. He’s got good pocket mobility. He knows how to slide and move around within the pocket," Jeremiah said. "[Marcus] Mariota, when he gets pressure, he’s gonna take off and run, or he’s gonna bail out of the pocket, and try to make a play from outside the pocket. Winston is very, very savvy and comfortable to be able to maneuver inside the pocket, keep his eyes downfield to make throws. He’s got plenty of arm strength. The long delivery is a bit of a concern, but I think he has shortened it up a little bit this year. A lot of his interceptions are linebackers buzzing underneath routes, so he sometimes struggled to see that stuff." New York Post writer Steve Serby predicts Winston will ultimately land with the Bucs or Titans. Jeremiah's veteran colleague Gil Brandt lists one destination that might be a bad idea for a prospect who has found himself in trouble often off the field: "I’m not sure that going to the great city

Source: New York Post
Dec 21 - 6:14 PM

Talking about this kid going back to school is madness.

He would be under a major microscope, and writers are already sick of writing good things about him. He just completed ANOTHER undefeated season, and you had to dig to find good press about him. If there wasn't Twitter, and blogs and 24 hour sports TV, maybe another year would be nice, but he will leave FSU as a two year starter,which is plenty of starting time to enter the NFL.

He's going to be a 1st round pick, and whether he is 2nd or 10th, or 15th, it doesn't matter. If you're going to be a 1st rounder, you go.

It's a shame that many people's opinions on him were impacted by the bogus rape allegations.

It's a shame that many people's opinions on him were impacted by the bogus rape allegations.
There was kind of a lot more than that. Granted, none of it may have come to the forefront without the aforementioned allegations.

Looking forward to debating him and MM for the next five months! :excited:

The Rose Bowl can't get here fast enough.

The only recent successful QB I could find who threw as many INT's in their final college season as Winston (17) was Matt Ryan (19).

Have you watched the tape on all of those interceptions? How many were due to his freshman WRS making mistakes? Jim bo has said merely 5-6 were his fault.

The freshman receivers are responsible for at least half his picks. Flat out quit on routes at times. But whatever. We'll see come May.

Yeah, I agree. How many times were we scolded by various people that do podcasts and blogs for questioning Johnny Manziel's commitment. "Show me a 20 year that doesn't love to party!" was the thing to say. Some went so far as to belittle people who expressed concerns about his maturity. Basically called us idiots for even bringing it up. And while his story is far from written, it seems pretty clear that he hasn't put in the work necessary to be an NFL QB. He even said as much recently.

People can point to guys like Dez Bryant, Warren Sapp and Randy Moss as guys who have succeeded despite character red flags, but QB is a different animal. That position demands so much more. Not saying he can't be great, but like you said, it's got to be part of the evaluation.

Winston is 19-0 as a starter. He can lose one game and still have the highest winning percentage of all-time. Not exactly a 'who's who' of NFL QB's.

Here’s a look at the top 10 QBs (minimum of 23 starts):

AJ McCarron, Alabama (2010-Present) – 33-2 (.943)

Jay Barker, Alabama (1991-94) – 35-2-1 (.934)

Danny Wuerffel, Florida (1993-96) – 32-3-1 (.903)

Buck Belue, Georgia (1978-81) – 27-3 (.900)

John Lastinger, Georgia (1981-83) – 20-2-1 (.891)

Greg McElroy, Alabama (2007-10) – 24-3 (.889)

Tee Martin, Tennessee (1996-99) – 22-3 (.880)

Bobby Scott, Tennessee (1968-70) – 20-3 (.869)

Peyton Manning, Tennessee (1994-97) – 39-6 (.867)

Tim Tebow, Florida (2006-09) – 35-6 (.866)

Read more at http://gamedayr.com/sports/aj-mccarron-sec-all-time-winning-percentage-87160/#DZvgbt8EROsuPu1X.99
Highest winning percentage of all-time regardless of what happens in the Rose Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread