What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (4 Viewers)

cstu said:
CalBear said:
SeniorVBDStudent said:
The jamarcus comparisons are unwarranted. Winston looks a lot like vince young by my eye.
Vince Young averaged over 1000 yards rushing per year in college. In terms of the way they move and play the game, Winston looks a whole lot more like Jamarcus.

But Jamarcus never threw more than 8 INTs in college, so you're right, the comparison with Winston (18 INTs) doesn't quite fit.
Their last year in college:

Russell - 67.8%, 9.1 YPA, 28 TD, 8 INT, 142 yards rushing

Winston - 65.3%, 8.4 YPA, 25 TD, 18 INT, 67 yards rushing
All that matters is Winston won't likely be drafted by the Raiders so he already has that going for him. If he does go to Tampa for instance your also looking at some good weapons to start your career with.
The best hope for him is that he falls to the Texans.

Jameis Winston @Jaboowins Follow

I love my squad no matter what #FSU till the day I die D.I.E. What an amazing year we still will have the same # of Ls as the champ #LMAO

9:17 PM - 1 Jan 2015
LMAO, huh?
I see a player (no longer relevant in the tournament) trying to take a swing at a team that just busted a shotty all over the entire FS program. The only ones LTAO are the Oregon players who just dropped a fat, smelly dump in the helmets of Jameis and Company. This pompous piece of crap deserved the loss and shouldn't be allowed to play another snap until he gets his life in order. Players should be squeaky clean before they enter the league. All of the owners have to be honest, upstanding citizens full of integrity so why not the players?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston has the "ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him."

"Jameis at his best under adversity. That's a redeeming quality that translates. Ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him," Weidl tweeted. Off the field, the FSU prospect may have many doubters, but on the field he wins from the pocket and possesses a very strong, accurate arm. ESPN's Todd McShay notes that Winston displays "very good on-field leadership and game-management skills. If you limit things to his on-field performance, he should be Tampa Bay's pick at No. 1 overall."

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Jan 2 - 2:58 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston has the "ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him."

"Jameis at his best under adversity. That's a redeeming quality that translates. Ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him," Weidl tweeted. Off the field, the FSU prospect may have many doubters, but on the field he wins from the pocket and possesses a very strong, accurate arm. ESPN's Todd McShay notes that Winston displays "very good on-field leadership and game-management skills. If you limit things to his on-field performance, he should be Tampa Bay's pick at No. 1 overall."

Wait, I thought all his INTs were the result of his teammates sucking; guess they'd be really awful if he wasn't elevating their play.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston has the "ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him.""Jameis at his best under adversity. That's a redeeming quality that translates. Ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him," Weidl tweeted. Off the field, the FSU prospect may have many doubters, but on the field he wins from the pocket and possesses a very strong, accurate arm. ESPN's Todd McShay notes that Winston displays "very good on-field leadership and game-management skills. If you limit things to his on-field performance, he should be Tampa Bay's pick at No. 1 overall."

Wait, I thought all his INTs were the result of his teammates sucking; guess they'd be really awful if he wasn't elevating their play.
If that's what you think then you're not paying attention. A majority of his Ints have come from over confidence in his arm and miss reading underneath coverage by LBs.

I am ready to chuckle at whatever team takes this guy in the 1st round. Yeah, he's got skills and talent, but it's like some people forget how important intangibles and character are, especially when it comes to the quarterback position, and Winston is sorely lacking in the character area. He's an arrogant young kid who's got an unreal sense of entitlement who is gonna be in for a rude awakening in the NFL. He might have some good games, but over the long haul, as a franchise QB, no freaking way.

I am ready to chuckle at whatever team takes this guy in the 1st round. Yeah, he's got skills and talent, but it's like some people forget how important intangibles and character are, especially when it comes to the quarterback position, and Winston is sorely lacking in the character area. He's an arrogant young kid who's got an unreal sense of entitlement who is gonna be in for a rude awakening in the NFL. He might have some good games, but over the long haul, as a franchise QB, no freaking way.
Same things I said about Manziel apply for Winston. QB is not a position where you want a headcase - Cam is the only one with character concerns that I can remember working out in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston has the "ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him.""Jameis at his best under adversity. That's a redeeming quality that translates. Ability to elevate his play and everyone else around him," Weidl tweeted. Off the field, the FSU prospect may have many doubters, but on the field he wins from the pocket and possesses a very strong, accurate arm. ESPN's Todd McShay notes that Winston displays "very good on-field leadership and game-management skills. If you limit things to his on-field performance, he should be Tampa Bay's pick at No. 1 overall."

If that's what you think then you're not paying attention. A majority of his Ints have come from over confidence in his arm and miss reading underneath coverage by LBs.
That's not what I think, that's what his apologists have been saying (including in this thread).

Rotoworld:

An NFL "insider" referred to FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston as "this year’s version of Johnny Manziel."

"The insider was not comparing skill set rather told me general managers around the league who hope Winston is gone before their team is called to the clock," TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reported. "Like Manziel this past April, they don’t want to be faced with the option of using a first round pick on the quarterback. This of course assumes Winston enters the draft." We think he ultimately will, and will additionally point out that this comparison is a bit flawed since Winston's on-field talent is clearly superior to Manziel's, and thus his off-field problems figure to weigh less in his overall evaluation. Winston is a projected top-five pick; a GM could lose his job by drafting him and missing yes, but he could lose it just as easily by passing on a long-time Pro Bowler.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Jan 3 - 6:29 PM

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "is most like Pittsburgh Steelers' star Ben Roethlisberger," wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"Winston senses pressure around him and moves to avoid it but like 'Big Ben,' he shows incredible strength and balance to deliver passes even with defenders hanging on," Rang wrote. Winston struggled mightily in Thursday's 59-20 loss in the National Semifinal to Oregon, but he remains a projected top-five pick, assuming he can convince evaluators that he's learned from numerous past off-field mistakes. Rang prefers him as a passer to victorious Ducks' QB Marcus Mariota. "Videotape shows Winston has better ball placement on challenging intermediate and deep routes each quarterback will have to make in the NFL," he wrote.

Source: CBS Sports

Jan 3 - 7:57 PM

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "is most like Pittsburgh Steelers' star Ben Roethlisberger," wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"Winston senses pressure around him and moves to avoid it but like 'Big Ben,' he shows incredible strength and balance to deliver passes even with defenders hanging on," Rang wrote. Winston struggled mightily in Thursday's 59-20 loss in the National Semifinal to Oregon, but he remains a projected top-five pick, assuming he can convince evaluators that he's learned from numerous past off-field mistakes. Rang prefers him as a passer to victorious Ducks' QB Marcus Mariota. "Videotape shows Winston has better ball placement on challenging intermediate and deep routes each quarterback will have to make in the NFL," he wrote.

Source: CBS Sports

Jan 3 - 7:57 PM
Bortles was like Roethlisberger, I consider Winston a lesser version of Bortles.

Rumors circulating that he is going to announce he is staying at FSU 1 more season.
Rumors circulating that his draft stock is plunging, and that might be the only way to get it back up for the one-time salary bonus payday.Bloom is off this rose. I think people were clinging to the hope that he was actually an intelligent guy whose academics weren't entirely fabricated by his football handlers until he opened his mouth in front of the largest cable audience of all time.

Rumors circulating that he is going to announce he is staying at FSU 1 more season.
Rumors circulating that his draft stock is plunging, and that might be the only way to get it back up for the one-time salary bonus payday.Bloom is off this rose. I think people were clinging to the hope that he was actually an intelligent guy whose academics weren't entirely fabricated by his football handlers until he opened his mouth in front of the largest cable audience of all time.
Cute but the same article states Lovie Smith loved his Rose Bowl performance. Many think he leapt to #1.

@GilArciaTBC:

Looks like on his birthday, Jameis Winston will announce he is staying in school and not enter the NFL Draft.

@GilArciaTBC:

That per several players of the Florida State baseball team. Meeting already happened as I reported yesterday.

@GilArciaTBC:

Players have been dropping hints on their Facebook accounts, some even deleted. But all signs point to him staying.

Not sure why he would stay. He's got nothing left to prove in school unless he's trying to prove it in baseball, which isn't good.

His past isn't going away if he goes back. He'll still have to answer those same questions, just further down the road.

Not sure why he would stay. He's got nothing left to prove in school unless he's trying to prove it in baseball, which isn't good.

His past isn't going away if he goes back. He'll still have to answer those same questions, just further down the road.
I never thought he would go back but he was never going to be the #1 pick this year and has a better chance next year.

Hey Jameis, this is your agent err, uhh, friend. That whole staying in school thing you're floating around out there? Yeah, don't do that.

The jamarcus comparisons are unwarranted. Winston looks a lot like vince young by my eye.
Vince Young averaged over 1000 yards rushing per year in college. In terms of the way they move and play the game, Winston looks a whole lot more like Jamarcus.

But Jamarcus never threw more than 8 INTs in college, so you're right, the comparison with Winston (18 INTs) doesn't quite fit.

All that matters is Winston won't likely be drafted by the Raiders so he already has that going for him. If he does go to Tampa for instance your also looking at some good weapons to start your career with.
As a Raider fan, I am thrilled that Winston will not be a Raider. Winston has a good arm but has serious concerns such as poor decision making, not being able to read defenses, and his many off-field issues. Winston has less potential than Bortles but more than Manziel. Seems like a waste of a top 5 pick.

gump said:
@GilArciaTBC:

Looks like on his birthday, Jameis Winston will announce he is staying in school and not enter the NFL Draft.

@GilArciaTBC:

That per several players of the Florida State baseball team. Meeting already happened as I reported yesterday.

@GilArciaTBC:

Players have been dropping hints on their Facebook accounts, some even deleted. But all signs point to him staying.
Gonna have to unfollow this joker

Jameis Winston says decision to leave school was “difficult”

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
winston1.jpg
Getty Images
For a guy who got himself in some trouble for jumping on a cafeteria table and yelling aprofane internet meme, Jameis Winston is suddenly much more eloquent.

Via ESPN.com, Winston has released a statement through The Legacy Agency, which will represent him now that he has declared for the 2015 NFL Draft.

“After weighing this decision with my family and friends, I have decided to declare for the 2015 NFL draft and forgo my remaining eligibility at Florida State,” the statement read. “I reached this very difficult decision after careful consideration and long thought, realizing how difficult it would be to say goodbye to my family at Florida State. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to wear the garnet and gold and have greatly enjoyed my time as a Seminole, both as an athlete and a student in the classroom.”

There were many more words, which totally sound like Winston’s normal syntax, along with a reference to his teammates. “You all have been there for me through the highs and lows and the relationships we have formed extend well beyond the field. For this, I thank you.”

Nothing against the good folks at the agency, who I’m sure worked very hard on this particular piece of prose, but it’s going to take a lot more to convince NFL types that Winston can be trustworthy.

He’s avoided big trouble during his time at Florida State, but the collection of little trouble and near-misses are stacking up, and with the character assassination inherent in the pre-draft process, Winston is in for a long spring of explaining himself.

As a Raider fan, I am thrilled that Winston will not be a Raider. Winston has a good arm but has serious concerns such as poor decision making, not being able to read defenses, and his many off-field issues. Winston has less potential than Bortles but more than Manziel. Seems like a waste of a top 5 pick.
Have you seen the size of his hands?

Jamarcus Russell 2.0
Approaches bait. Smells rotten. Swims away.
I could see Jamies busting a la Jamarcu, shrug
Very similar players.

Watch in the coming months. I can hear Mel Kiper now:

~~~~Whiggly lines~~~~~

~~~~Whiggly lines~~~~~

"Coaches are blown away by the incredible physical talent in this young man. He is a revolutionary QB one that can change the position in the NFL. He is not only going to go to multiple pro-bowls but the only question remaining is will he choose to retire early and go into the HOF as the youngest player ever selected in the Hall."

Jamarcus was just another terrible pick by Davis that continued the Raiders on their steady decline to bottom of the NFL. Jawalrus hurt the Raiders more than the Raiders hurt him.

Rotoworld:

Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston could go No. 1 overall, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper.

That said, Kiper also believes Winston's off-field maturity issues could "cost him the chance to go in the top five." As with all other evaluators, Kiper is smitten with Winston's on-field ability. He isn't overly concerned with Winston's 18 interceptions this season, calling some of them "mistakes of aggression because he can make pretty much every throw and always sees opportunities." Kiper also pointed out that Matt Ryan threw 19 picks his last year at Boston College before going No. 3 overall. The analyst called Winston "the most advanced QB in this class," a "special talent" and said the signal-caller's big frame will provide Winston with the "assumption of durability" that "has a great deal of value." The analyst concluded: "At this point, Winston is a possibility at No. 1. But after the season he had, on the field and off, the variance right now feels pretty high."

Source: ESPN Insider

Jan 7 - 6:40 PM

:goodposting: It is unreal how many NFL people get blinded by the physical characteristics and college stats and ignore the head.

There are many positions on the field where the head does not matter. QB is not one of them!

Bust.

Another year to not want to need a QB in the draft.
You never want to need a QB.

Going to be interesting to see how good of a coach Bill B is once Brady retires.

From what I've seen his demeanor doesn't strike me as one that will suddenly mature. I wouldn't even consider drafting the kid.

I said this in the Bucs' thread, but is there any reason TB or any team for that matter can't subject him to a polygraph? If I were contemplating drafting him I would certainly want him to take one.

Users who are viewing this thread