What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (3 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Jimmy Garoppolo drafted by Patriots 62nd overall

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The New England Patriots are cautiously starting to think about life without Tom Brady. At the very least, they are now ready for life without Ryan Mallett.

Bill Belichick's team selected Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo with the No. 62 pick Friday in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. This news appears to support the notion that Mallett will soon be dealt, but NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Patriots currently expect to bring Mallett to organized team activities and minicamps.

It's a surprise in one sense considering New England's other needs. But the Patriots closely examined the top of this quarterback crop and smart analysts like Marc "The Sizzler" Sessler predicted that the Patriots would take a quarterback early. Garoppolo has a big arm and a quick release that helped him rise up draft boards during the postseason process.

We don't think Brady should take this as a message, but Garoppolo is the first Patriots quarterback who has a legitimate chance to succeed Brady in New England. By the time Garoppolo's rookie contract is over, Brady will be 41 years old. The rest of Brady's contract is fully guaranteed and there's no reason to think he won't be the team's starter for at least two more seasons.

After that, Brady is a year-to-year proposition. Father Time remains undefeated, and the Patriots are starting to prepare for life without Brady. This is the highest the Patriots have drafted a quarterback since Drew Bledsoe, the man that Brady once famously displaced.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Last edited:
As a Pats fan and Brady owner, I will be targeting with my 3rd round pick in the rookie draft. I think he's going to be VERY good. Fell into an amazing spot. And who beside Brady owners will take him???

Rotoworld:

Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo rates ahead of Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater on "some teams" draft boards, reports NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
"Possibility Garoppolo goes ahead of Bridgewater," Brandt tweeted, adding, "might be (making a) mistake." If it happened, the selection would be pilloried by more places than this section, but we'll take an early stab at it: Garoppolo is lauded for his quick release and quick decision making, but both were in part made possible by an extremely QB friendly system and a poor level of competition. When foes got in his face, he panicked. Even with all day to throw, his arm isn't strong enough to consistently make defenses pay over the top. Bridgewater, on the other hand, is more seasoned, far more accurate, far more poised, and has a better arm. But, y'know, he had a bad pro day.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo visited the Patriots earlier this week, according to ESPN's Mike Reiss.
New England has interestingly devoted at least three of their 30 in-house visits to quarterbacks (Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater, in addition to Garoppolo). Tom Brady, of course, turns 37 before the season, while the team's only other rostered QB, Ryan Mallett, is scheduled to become a free agent after this season. When he has a smooth target and an open primary receiver, Garoppolo will look like a first-rounder, getting the ball out super quickly and generally on the money. However, when the pass rush gets in his face, Garoppolo's play tends to disintegrate. If that was happening at a non-elite level of college football, in the happiest of spread/shotgun QB systems, we're curious why so many seem to believe it'll be coached away against far, far superior defenders.

Source: ESPN.com

Apr 16 - 5:19 PM
CBS Sports' Pete Prisco "keeps hearing" that Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo will go in the first-round and believes, if true, that a team would be making "a big mistake."
The analyst believes Garoppolo is no more than a Rd. 3-4 developmental prospect. "I watched some Garoppolo tape last week and I saw a passer who has a quick release, a solid arm on medium throws, but a quarterback with a lot of questions," Prisco wrote. "Two things bothered me: He hops in the pocket and he seems to pat the ball a lot before making a throw. Are those fixable? Maybe. He also seems to feel pressure when it's not there and leave a good pocket at times." We're similarly concerned with Garoppolo's propensity to panic when his first read is covered. Quick!: How many good NFL starters can you name that share that quality?

Source: CBS Sports
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo college coach, Dino Babers, now the boss at Bowling Green, said his former signal-caller has "got one of the fastest releases I’ve probably seen (since) Dan Marino."
"I watched Jimmy Garoppolo throw five passes at Eastern Illinois University, and the first thing out of my mouth was, ‘Somebody screwed up big time’ – because he should have been at an FBS school," Babers said. "Jimmy Garoppolo would have been the starter at Texas A&M. Jimmy Garappolo would have been the starter at the University of Arizona. Jimmy Garoppolo is a big-time quarterback. Everybody’s going to figure out real quick how good this young man is. It happens sometimes. It just happens that a lot of people miss on somebody that they have no business missing on. This guy is going to be a starting quarterback in the National Football League." It goes without saying that Babers is biased here, but he isn't the first person to compare Garoppolo's quick release to Marino's (which is unfair, but still), or suggest that Garoppolo could have started over Johnny Manziel.

Source: CBS Sports
NFL Network's Charley Casserly believes Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo is the best prospect at the position on tape.
"Now level of competition is way below everybody else," Casserly began. "Very good vision. Best release in the draft. Can move in the pocket. Arm seems to be good enough. Totally raw, got to start from scratch on him." The main issue with Garoppolo is frenetic movement, and that is only escalated when pressured. Buzz seems to point to Garoppolo being selected in the second-round.

Source: 620 WDAE
ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo has the most upside of any prospect at the position.
"The reason I say upside is because if he would have put him in a major college program, where would he rank? Probably top five or top 10," Kiper said, adding Garoppolo has a super quick release. Rotoworld's Josh Norris also lists Garoppolo as his fifth quarterback, but questions his feet in the pocket and specifically under pressure. Kiper believes Garoppolo could go a bit later than he should due to playing in the FCS.

Source: ESPN
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo told CSN Chicago that his skill set compares to Aaron Rodgers.
"I like to think I'm pretty close in comparison to Aaron Rodgers," Garoppolo told CSN's SportsTalk Live Thursday. "He's very athletic and gets the ball out quickly. He's very knowledgeable of the game, controls the offense totally and that's something I try to do. Just know the offense inside and out, and if you're able to do that as a quarterback, it makes your team that much better." Like Rodgers, Garoppolo does possess a quick release, but he'll have to work on his pocket presence if he wants to mirror his game after Aaron Rodgers. Garoppolo stock has risen as of late, and it looks like he could go in the second round. However, our own Josh Norris has Garoppolo as his fifth ranked quarterback prospect.

Source: CSN Chicago
Matt Waldman of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio believes Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo has "dramatic" pocket presence problems and would leave him off his draft board entirely if he were a decision-maker.
"Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not," Waldman wrote. "Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory." Waldman believes Garoppolo "sees phantom pressure" and consistently lacks "a clear plan on the field when the initial play doesn't work." The link below provides plenty of damning evidence via film available on YouTube to support Waldman's assessments. Garoppolo has the tools to succeed at the next level, but he needs plenty of work.

Source: Rookie Scouting Portfolio
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo must prove he can drop back and throw under pressure, according to Greg Cosell of NFL Films.
"He played in a true spread, so there were a lot of one-step throws," Cosell said. Garoppolo will have to prove he can simultaneously control tempo in three- and five-step drops and throw amidst debris, two things that weren't asked of him much in college. The 6-foot-2, 219-pounder makes quick decisions, gets the ball out in a flash, has sound footwork and works through his projections well. He's one of the draft's most obvious eye-of-the-beholder prospects.

Source: Stationcaster
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline believes that Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo has solidified himself as a second-round pick.
"Jimmy Garoppolo/QB/Eastern Illinois, who solidified himself as a second rounder last week and already has five pre-draft visits with NFL teams on his schedule, will participate in Northwestern’s pro-day next week," Pauline wrote on Thursday. The small-school prospect has gained some momentum the last couple of months, with a strong outing in the East-West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl. Garoppolo's performance at last weekend's Combine could have some evaluators changing their minds.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Just read this from rotoworld. Not sure if I'm supposed to believe it (except for the hand size) or not however.

" A good athlete with average arm strength, Garoppolo was highly efficient in a quick-hitting college spread offense, but often struggled when pressured, lacks ideal hand size (9 1/4"), and will have to rework his lower-body mechanics."

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Former Colts GM Bill Polian said that he projects Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo as a first-round pick.
Polian's pedigree demands that this evaluation be taken seriously, and the former Colts boss certainly isn't alone in viewing Garoppolo as a first-round talent. In fact, CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reported earlier in the day that NFL evaluators had been discussing Garoppolo as a potential first rounder. While we wouldn't personally invest a first-round pick in this signal caller, we understand how someone could talk themselves into doing so. The 6-foot-2, 219-pound Garoppolo makes quick decisions, gets the ball out quickly, employs technically sound footwork and works through his projections well. He has two giant red flags that will likely keep him out of the first stanza: Garoppolo doesn't possess a bazooka arm, and he's shown a propensity to get frazzled under pressure.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 24 - 6:21 PM
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler tweeted there has been "first round" talk about Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo amongst NFL evaluators.
"I told you guys back in Oct. that there was some "1st round" talk with Garoppolo among NFL guys. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but def possible," Brugler tweeted. Rotoworld's Josh Norris loves Garoppolo's quick feet, quick eyes, quick release and believes that a second day selection is within reach for Garoppolo.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Feb 24 - 4:59 PM
Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo might have a stronger arm than he showed in his collegiate offensive system, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.
"I kind of like him," Cosell said. In college, according to Cosell, "you didn't see him drive the ball, because that wasn't built into the offense." In EIU's spread system, Garoppolo was often asked to deliver the ball immediately, within his first three steps, based on pre-snap reads. Because of that, he was able to display a lauded ability for intermediate accuracy, but often wasn't given the stage to "let 'er rip." Garoppolo, Cosell believes, may surprise people at the next level with his ability to push the ball vertically.

Source: Stationcaster

Feb 14 - 1:11 PM
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks wrote that Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo "has jumped squarely on the radar of every NFL executive with his solid play over the past two weeks."
NFL.com colleague Daniel Jeremiah called Garoppolo the biggest winner of the East-West Shrine Game, and the EUI QB also stood out amongst Senior Bowl signal callers. "Garoppolo showed exceptional footwork making throws inside the pocket, while also displaying remarkable athleticism and body control tossing the ball on the move," Brooks wrote. "In addition, Garoppolo has made quick, decisive reads with the ball, showing a compact delivery and quick release. Although Garoppollo's play won't vault him into consideration as a franchise quarterback, there are several teams that will view him as an intriguing developmental prospect with starting potential based on his strong showing in Mobile."

Source: NFL.com

Jan 26 - 8:02 PM

Jimmy Garoppolo deflects Tom Brady successor talk

By Ryan Maquinana NFL.com

By the time Jimmy Garoppolo's rookie contract concludes, Tom Brady will be 41 years old.

As a result, the New England Patriots' second-round draft pick has already been tabbed by many as more than depth-chart filler. However, Garoppolo refused to entertain any talk on Tuesday about being groomed as Tom Terrific's successor in Foxborough, avoiding such "verbal landmines."

"I haven't thought about it too much, to be honest," Garoppolo told CSN New England. "My main thing is, I'm a rookie. I haven't earned any stripes. I haven't done anything on the field."

Garoppolo's arrival could also affect Ryan Mallett's status with the team. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that "mutual interest" still remained for the Houston Texans to trade for Mallett as the Patriots approach May 27, New England's first day for organized team activities.

Garoppolo addressed the situation not only by praising Brady but also by adding that he plans to view Mallett as a mentor as well.

"Just the way Tom has poise in the pocket, the way he throws the ball, it's pretty picture perfect, if you ask me," the Eastern Illinois product told WEEI-FM. "Just to learn as much as I can from him and Ryan from a short period of time."

For kicks, Garoppolo was asked a second time by CSN New England about his thoughts on potentially replacing a legend.

"I haven't put too much thought into it to be honest," he answered.

He might as well have said "it is what it is" to end the interview. Considering the way he skillfully side-stepped the bait with that nonanswer, he'll fit in the locker room at Gillette Stadium just fine.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

Faust said:
@DougKyedNESN

Justin Jones said Jimmy Garoppolo will walk up to him, shout out a play from Patriots playbook and ask him what his responsibilities are.
@DougKyedNESN

Sounds like Garoppolo already is taking on a leadership role among rookies. Impressive that he has a good enough grasp of the playbook.
Jimmy Garoppolo Already Taking On Leadership Role Among Patriots Rookies
This is interesting. As a Brady owner he's definitely someone I'll be keeping an eye on with my 3rd round pick.

he's shown a propensity to get frazzled under pressure.
This what Waldman knocked him for:

Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not. Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory.
If he can fix that he has a lightning release and could be a special QB in few years.

Faust said:
@DougKyedNESN

Justin Jones said Jimmy Garoppolo will walk up to him, shout out a play from Patriots playbook and ask him what his responsibilities are.
@DougKyedNESN

Sounds like Garoppolo already is taking on a leadership role among rookies. Impressive that he has a good enough grasp of the playbook.
Jimmy Garoppolo Already Taking On Leadership Role Among Patriots Rookies
This is interesting. As a Brady owner he's definitely someone I'll be keeping an eye on with my 3rd round pick.
I too am a Brady owner. Ditto.

he's shown a propensity to get frazzled under pressure.
This what Waldman knocked him for:

Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not. Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory.
If he can fix that he a lightning release and could be a special QB in few years.
Spending the next 2-3 years behind Brady could do just that for him. Otherwise, he seems to have all the intangibles. And he'll almost certainly be there when Brady retires unless he pulls a Favre.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2014/06/ota_observations_jimmy_garoppolo_has_best_day_nate_solder

Garoppolo had his best workout among the two we've seen from him. He was accurate with all of his throws, including a precise touchdown pass to Josh Boyce on a crossing pattern.

There was one point during practice when Tom Brady broke off to the adjacent field to throw with Edelman and Danny Amendola. At the same time, Garoppolo worked with Josh McDaniels in a one-on-one tutorial as it related to pre-snap communication.

Garoppolo stayed after practice for about 15-20 minutes with Jeremy Gallon, Wilson Van Hooser, Jeremy Johnson, Kyle Auffray and Reggie Dunn. Garoppolo and Johnson, who signed this morning, were the last two players off the field. Gallon practiced today after missing last week's workout for unknown reasons.

@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Remember...comps use pre-draft info for all players - current prospects are compared only to past *prospects*. NFL careers not considered.
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

Ranked first by tier, and then within tier. Assumes all positions have equal value.
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

#1 to #5: Elite Prospects with Clean Profiles
@7RoundsInApril · Jun 10

#5 Jimmy Garoppolo: Drew Brees (especially), Aaron Rodgers, maybe Donovan McNabb

Loving everything I'm hearing about him. Sitting behind one of the best for a couple years can't be bad for him.

Rotoworld:

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Patriots

Second-round pick Jimmy Garoppolo has won the Patriots' backup quarterback job.

Garoppolo was detested in draftnik circles, but played exceptionally well this preseason, completing 46-of-79 passes for 618 yards (7.8 YPA), five touchdowns, and one interception. He did take something of a step back in New England's preseason finale, but ultimately was the better option over Ryan Mallett. In the Patriots' high-octane offense, Garoppolo would be worth grabbing in fantasy leagues if something happened to Tom Brady. Garoppolo deserves to be bumped up Dynasty league rankings.

Aug 31 - 2:26 PM

So I picked up Garoppolo in a no-contract 12 team dynasty with 24 man rosters plus 3 man rookie squad... I like to cycle through a lot of prospects, and immediacy matter when doing that... I need to know if a guy is worth holding onto. With Garoppolo, we won't really know for 2-4 years... that is a long time to hold a guy with an uncertain future value.

[SIZE=13.8888883590698px]Is this the kind of league you guys hold onto a player for years in? How long do you hold onto a devy player like this?[/SIZE]

So I picked up Garoppolo in a no-contract 12 team dynasty with 24 man rosters plus 3 man rookie squad... I like to cycle through a lot of prospects, and immediacy matter when doing that... I need to know if a guy is worth holding onto. With Garoppolo, we won't really know for 2-4 years... that is a long time to hold a guy with an uncertain future value.

[SIZE=13.8888883590698px]Is this the kind of league you guys hold onto a player for years in? How long do you hold onto a devy player like this?[/SIZE]
Advice worth at least as much as you paid for it...

I don't have any perfect fits for Garoppolo's, but his best pre-draft comps by my reckoning are probably Brees and Stafford. No one like him has flopped.

Garoppolo probably won't really be ready to start until 2016, but the Pats won't be sentimental when Brady's end comes and there's no way to know when that will be.

So I've got him rostered everywhere I could squeeze him on and don't plan to let go now.

His time is coming...and it won't be long.
He's definitely going to start for someone in the next 3 years. Didn't see much from this game, against the 4th QTR prevent, he looked good all preseason tho.
Brady is getting traded this offseason. Mark it down.
I don't think the Pats could trade a guy who volunteers regularly for paycuts.
He doesn't take pay cuts, all his money is guaranteed.

I don't care if it was garbage time or not. Garoppolo passes the eye test. Quick release, good pocket presence. Lots of rookie QBs would come unglued even in garbage time in KC. He looked great.

Ben Volin of The Boston Globe explains why Brady might be easy to trade:

Brady will be 38 next Aug. 3, and his contract is insanely team-friendly — if he is on the Patriots’ roster on the final game of 2014, his salaries for 2015 ($7 million), 2016 ($8 million), and 2017 ($9 million) become fully guaranteed, but at less than half the going rate of top-tier NFL quarterbacks ($20-plus million). That’s cheap money for the Patriots, but it’s also cheap money for a team desperate for a quarterback — like, say, Houston, where the coach (Bill O’Brien) is a close ally. Or, say, Tampa Bay, where the general manager (Jason Licht) used to work for the Patriots and is close with Belichick.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms Jimmy Garoppolo is expected to play "at least some" of Sunday's Week 17 game against the Bills.

We've known all week that the Patriots aren't going to play their starters for the whole game. It's possible Tom Brady only plays a series or two. Garoppolo was solid in the preseason, completing 46-of-79 passes for 618 yards (7.8 YPA), five touchdowns, and one interception.

Related: Tom Brady

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Patriots

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 10-of-17 passes for 90 yards and no scores after replacing Tom Brady at halftime of the Patriots' Week 17 matchup with the Bills.

Garoppolo made a couple wow plays on the ground, but overall struggled to move the ball against the Bills' stout pass defense. The Patriots' only points of the second half came on a short field after a long Danny Amendola punt return. Garoppolo will resume clipboard duties when the Patriots return from their first-round bye.

Dec 28 - 3:53 PM

Every QB needy team in the league had the opportunity to draft Garoppolo. Time will tell but I believe they blew it and let him fall into the Patriots hands.

"I talked to Bill (Belichick) at the combine, and I asked him how Jimmy was doing," Christensen told WEEI.com in a recent phone conversation. "He said '(Jimmy) looks like a linebacker. He works out like a linebacker. He acts like a linebacker. I really like him a lot, coach. You did a great job with him. Thank you.' "

"I think he did very well," Christensen said of Garoppolo's first season. "Over the first two weeks of camp he didn't look good, but I think over the third and fourth week of the preseason, he made real improvement, and that's what Bill wants to see. Jimmy is a smart kid who just wants to learn, and he's well aware of how good a situation he's in right now."

Users who are viewing this thread