Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: Jimmy Garoppolo QB, 49ers

2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Like Mahomes last year in the preseason. 

It’s preseason practice. 

At least he’s learning who not to throw it to 

Kyle Shanahan said he was a defensive coach today so he was happy.

• Laughing 1

7 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Say there fella, practice-only league? Why, that sounds like my kinda league! 

How do you folks score that league, anyway? 

Some people use standard scoring, all touchdowns worth 1 point, “deep” touchdowns are 4 points, a series with the 1s is also worth 1 point and TDS with the 1s are worth double. I prefer to play PPT scoring or point per tweet. Really gives the boost to rookies and guys like Davante Parker. It’s been really fun, Jakobi Meyers and D-Jax are leading the league in scoring so far. Of course, dropped passes are -4, fumbles are -10, INTs are also -10 but they double each time after the first. The best part though is that if a player ends up negative at the end of a practice day, you still get all the negative points but you get to drop him and pick up his direct back up who is significantly better.

There’s kicker scoring but it’s kind of unfair in PPT because the NFC North kickers just dominate. Believe it or not, the Bears have the top 2 kickers in that format!

• Laughing 1

Stephania Bell @Stephania_ESPN

Completely agree with @ESPNBooger

Jimmy G not stepping up. See that sometimes with QB initially after Left ACL Injury. If they step into their throws, put weight through that foot, knee is vulnerable if pocket collapses and someone rolls/falls into it. So they avoid it.

16 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Stephania Bell @Stephania_ESPN

Completely agree with @ESPNBooger

Jimmy G not stepping up. See that sometimes with QB initially after Left ACL Injury. If they step into their throws, put weight through that foot, knee is vulnerable if pocket collapses and someone rolls/falls into it. So they avoid it.

This tracks and honestly is something worth learning from preseason games.  He just doesn't seem to be comfortable after his injury.

Just now, wgoldsph said:

This tracks and honestly is something worth learning from preseason games.  He just doesn't seem to be comfortable after his injury.

Regaining confidence after knee or achilles injuries is always a huge factor

Jimmy Garoppolo completed just 1-of-6 passes for zero yards and one interception in the 49ers' second preseason game Monday.

He played three series in his first game action since tearing his ACL last Week 3. Garoppolo was downright terrible in this tuneup and should have been picked off twice, as he gifted a (dropped) pick-six to the cornerback on his second possession after tossing a pick on the first series. Garoppolo had a couple passes batted at the line, one of which resulted in the interception. Garoppolo tossed five picks in a practice last week and hasn't had a strong summer by most accounts. The Niners better hope he's just knocking off the rust.

Aug 19, 2019, 8:48 PM ET

1 hour ago, jm192 said:

Jimmy looked awful.

His O-line looked awful.

Downgrade them all.

They looked good run blocking and poor pass blocking. Though Chubb is a beast

Staying away from their passing game

He looked super rattled back there.  I’ve seen that look in David Carr before when he lost his pocket presence.  Not good. 

Just now, dnurk said:

He looked super rattled back there.  I’ve seen that look in David Carr before when he lost his pocket presence.  Not good. 

In 20 years, we won't be able to explain to the next generation how Jimmy G became one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the NFL with a contract bigger than Brees, Brady and Cam Newton. 

19 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

In 20 years, we won't be able to explain to the next generation how Jimmy G became one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the NFL with a contract bigger than Brees, Brady and Cam Newton. 

Or that the 2nd round pick was worth six players.

Welcome to New England, where second-round picks can become so, so much more.

In this case, we're talking about the No. 43 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Patriots acquired from the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

One pick for one player: Simple trade, right?

Not for the Patriots, who by direct and indirect means have transformed that selection into a vast array of players and future draft picks.

Let's follow along, shall we? (Hat tip to Pats Pulpit's Pat Lane and CBS Boston's Michael Hurley, who did some painstaking leg work to sort this out.)

Here's how it all started:

1. Patriots trade Garoppolo to Niners for 2018 No. 43 pick

After that? Buckle up.

2. Patriots trade No. 43 to Detroit Lions for 2018 No. 51 and No. 117 picks

3. Patriots trade No. 51 to Chicago Bears for 2018 No. 105 pick and 2019 No. 56 pick

3. Patriots trade No. 105 to Cleveland Browns for 2018 No. 114 and No. 178 picks

4. Patriots trade No. 114 to Lions for 2019 No. 73 pick

5. Patriots draft LB Christian Sam with 2018 No. 178 pick

6. Patriots trade 2018 No. 62 (own pick) and No. 117 for No. 56 pick, draft CB Duke Dawson

Deep breath. We're almost there.

7. Patriots trade 2019 No. 73 to Bears for No. 87, No. 162 and 2020 fourth-rounder

8. Patriots trade 2019 No. 56 and No. 101 (own pick) to the Los Angeles Rams for No. 45 pick, draft CB Joejuan Williams

9. Patriots draft RB Damien Harris with 2019 No. 87 pick

10. Patriots trade 2019 No. 97 (own pick) and No. 162 to Rams for No. 101 and No. 133, draft OT Yodny Cajuste and QB Jarrett Stidham

Got all that?

In total, New England made 10 moves that involved at least one asset originating from the Garoppolo trade, netting six players:

CB Duke Dawson
LB Christian Sam
CB Joejuan Williams
RB Damien Harris
T Yodny Cajuste
QB Jarrett Stidham

Oh, and the book still isn't closed on this trade, as the Patriots have the Bears' fourth-rounder in next year's draft.

The jury is still out on all of these players, but if any go on to make significant contributions -- if, say, Stidham becomes Tom Brady heir apparent -- credit goes to Bill Belichick for squeezing every last ounce out of the Jimmy G trade.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

...  Tape Study shows a quarterback who still has issues with reading the entire field, and whose explosive plays come from random chance as much as they do from intelligent design.

Oh, come on.  Intelligent design has been thoroughly debunked as pseudo science.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was covered (so many pages) but reports are the he’s tentative stepping into throws, as he seems to fear planting his repaired leg because if the picket collapses, he might get hit.

that’s....not great. :doh: 

So he’s sailing balls, wildly inaccurate, and hesitates to make his quick timing reads because he’s not set. 

Hopefully he can shake that ish off. 

I’m still optimistic. We’ve seen him perform, when he took a terrible team 5-0 down the stretch. The recency bias in saying he’s terrible as though he’s never, ever shown anything is a little overwhelming in here.  Sure, it was a small sample size, but the talent was there. I’m still in benefit of the doubt mode since he is coming off of a significant injury. 

5 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Not sure if this was covered (so many pages) but reports are the he’s tentative stepping into throws, as he seems to fear planting his repaired leg because if the picket collapses, he might get hit.

that’s....not great. :doh: 

So he’s sailing balls, wildly inaccurate, and hesitates to make his quick timing reads because he’s not set. 

Hopefully he can shake that ish off. 

I’m still optimistic. We’ve seen him perform, when he took a terrible team 5-0 down the stretch. The recency bias in saying he’s terrible as though he’s never, ever shown anything is a little overwhelming in here.  Sure, it was a small sample size, but the talent was there. I’m still in benefit of the doubt mode since he is coming off of a significant injury. 

That’s a shame

1 minute ago, BobbyLayne said:

😢

poor jimmy. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

So there’s room for improvement is what you’re saying. :pickle:

2 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

... first game back in a year give him a break yikes...

Obviously the guy needs to shake off the rust so he deserves a break.

Can't wait for real games to see real football and find out about these guys.

• Like 1

I’m glad, let people shy away from taking him. The SF O is going to be very good this year, although it may take a few weeks for JG to knock off the rust. I’m taking him as a QB2 all day long 

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

He read Sam Darnolds book

36 minutes ago, FGITLOTR said:

I’m glad, let people shy away from taking him. The SF O is going to be very good this year, although it may take a few weeks for JG to knock off the rust. I’m taking him as a QB2 all day long 

Is it Shanahan or the players you like? both? 

IMO the players are uninspiring to say the least.

The only proven asset they have is Kittle. The rest is debatable at best 

4 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Is it Shanahan or the players you like? both? 

IMO the players are uninspiring to say the least.

The only proven asset they have is Kittle. The rest is debatable at best 

A few months ago, I thought I liked Jimmy G.  I thought Pettis was about to bloom.  Now, I agree.  The only one I'm terribly interested in is Kittle.  

I hope Pettis figures it out, I went and got a decent number of shares.

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS

Analysis: It's unreasonable to believe #49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo has no significant hurdle to clear in his return from a torn ACL.

Link

36 minutes ago, jm192 said:

A few months ago, I thought I liked Jimmy G.  I thought Pettis was about to bloom.  Now, I agree.  The only one I'm terribly interested in is Kittle.  

I hope Pettis figures it out, I went and got a decent number of shares.

I stand by my formula. Pettis and Samuel both meet the criteria toward never being a fantasy wr1. it's very possible the offense is high volume and one ends up being an exception but at this point the only thing that gets anyone excited about for their offense is full of "but has potential"s.

Pettis and Samuel have late breakout ages and injury histories... but they have potential 

McKinnon ans Coleman dont have a history of staying healthy... but they have potential 

JimmyG is coming off an ACL tear and is relatively unproven... but he has potential

Idk where people are gettinfnthat this offense is going to be a huge powerhouse. sure, it's the most potential/raw talent surrounding JimmyG in his 49er history but its unproven and a huge gamble. especially in a division with LAR and SEA

• Like 1

David J. Chao @ProFootballDoc

"He got rid of it too early to avoid the hit" @49ers HC on the #JimmyGaroppolo interception. Recover from injury is not all physical. Didn't step into throws last night with the lead leg ACL injury.

Speaking Tuesday, 49ers GM John Lynch said Jimmy Garoppolo's recovery from his torn ACL has been "flawless."

"I’m hesitant and reluctant to say it, (but) the recovery from the knee (injury) has been flawless," was Lynch's exact quote. The public takeaway from Garoppolo's summer has been shaky play, but the 49ers have been focused on his good health. Barely even being drafted as a QB2, Garoppolo could prove to be a valuable fantasy streamer.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 20, 2019, 7:46 PM ET