Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: Jimmy Garoppolo QB, 49ers

4 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:

This isn't acceptable.

Passions do run high right after a Super Bowl loss.  Not to excuse anything.  Just to remind folks that the others here are among the reasons we visit.  Lets all try to help those others get through the initial difficult moments.  Yeah, busting on each other is a guy thing, but there is a time for that and a time to maybe show a bit of restraint.

1 hour ago, Clayton Gray said:

This isn't acceptable.

1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Passions do run high right after a Super Bowl loss.  Not to excuse anything.  Just to remind folks that the others here are among the reasons we visit.  Lets all try to help those others get through the initial difficult moments.  Yeah, busting on each other is a guy thing, but there is a time for that and a time to maybe show a bit of restraint.

Does this include changing your team's thread title 5 times in 2 hours? Wingnut:

1) Implied it was the defense's fault KC won

2) called Mahomes a "golden Muppet" and that the NFL is happy

3) 2nd place sucks

4) (think he went back to the Golden Muppet insult)

5) current "NFC Champs blew it in the Super Bowl against the NFLs new golden child. We will be back and better next year. Haters can pound sand".

Every single comment is trying to deflect from Jimmy Garoppolo's performance in this game and throughout the playoffs. Not to mention the "edited" version of the comments he's posting in every Niner-related thread. He's getting a break because of Superbowl ache but it's getting ridiculous now. It's one thing if people are trolling or saying some completely out there comment; you can't crap on a completely neutral take and say a dude "never watched football before", especially with the way he's shat on other QBs. I would advise him to bring some numbers and metrics to the table if he's going to come at posters like that... I am the last person to play with like that.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

Honestly, this shouldn't even be a conversation. He didn't lose the game tonight and he played great all season.

My main takeaway from The Ringer article is the fourth-and-two call to kick the field goal. I assumed that was the right call. My brother disagreed.

Bro knows football.

25 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Monday Morning QB in full effect here...

"I’d also quibble with the Niners’ fourth-quarter decision to punt on fourth-and-5 from their own 25-yard line. They were up three at that point, with 5:18 left on the clock. If they went for it and succeeded, they would have had a chance to ice the game with a long drive. If they didn’t convert, at least they would have known that Mahomes and Co. couldn’t burn all the time off on a game-winning drive."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moniker said:

Honestly, this shouldn't even be a conversation. He didn't lose the game tonight and he played great all season.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/3/21119825/san-francisco-49ers-win-probability-clock-management-jimmy-garoppolo

Jimmy G had been one of the best late-game passers all year, but in this game he was abysmal, going 3-for-11 for 36 yards and an interception in the final frame. In particular, this overthrow, intended for a wide-open Emmanuel Sanders, will give him nightmares:

10 minutes ago, Tool said:

"I’d also quibble with the Niners’ fourth-quarter decision to punt on fourth-and-5 from their own 25-yard line. They were up three at that point, with 5:18 left on the clock. If they went for it and succeeded, they would have had a chance to ice the game with a long drive. If they didn’t convert, at least they would have known that Mahomes and Co. couldn’t burn all the time off on a game-winning drive."

yeah I thought that was a bizarre suggestion. 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

yeah I thought that was a bizarre suggestion. 

I would think punting in that situation is a no brainer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tool said:

Yes. The writers quibble with the SF punt there seemed like the quibble I had with the article. All the rest seemed right on. 

1 hour ago, Tool said:

This is essentially what the Texans did in the KC game.  They tried a fake punt from their own 35, essentially giving all momentum to the Chiefs for no apparent reason.  

Point is, no matter what you do on these situations, if you fail, you'll be roasted for the decision.  

I don't care how good the opposing QB is, if you're SF and have arguably the best defense in the NFL... you have to punt there and put your best players on the field.  

Jimmy G looked great after the pick then not so good in the 2nd half. He’s a solid NFL QB. They can win with him for sure I’d think. Just ran into a generational talent in Mahomes.

They have a few year window before all these great draft picks need to get paid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

That call on Kittle before the half was abysmal.....among others. 

Disagree.  He prevented the guy from having any chance to defend the ball.  

"among others" I agree with.  Big one they missed was the no call on the helmet to helmet hit in the pocket on JimmyG.  15 and a first down there would have been huge for SF.  

2 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

"among others" I agree with.  Big one they missed was the no call on the helmet to helmet hit in the pocket on JimmyG.  15 and a first down there would have been huge for SF.  

I am unfamiliar with the play you are referencing. That happens when watching in a large group with the sound off and side conversations occurring.  A link, perchance?

1 minute ago, Jayrok said:

Yup. I am traveling and was watching the game in Spanish broadcast.

That was really obvious call I thought there were a few others as well that I have been trained to see as penalties. Was this brought up at all by the announcers?

11 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

I remember the day when that call would have never been made.

4 minutes ago, The General said:

That was really obvious call I thought there were a few others as well that I have been trained to see as penalties. Was this brought up at all by the announcers?

Having trouble remembering what was said but I seem to remember Aikman mentioning it as they showed the replay.  If it had been Brady, they may have stopped the game 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I am unfamiliar with the play you are referencing. That happens when watching in a large group with the sound off and side conversations occurring.  A link, perchance?

Video number 2 down on the page. It's more of a .gif than the whole play but he was in the pocket IIRC.  Thought it should have been called.  

4 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Same here.  I think 2 years ago that is a no call.

2 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Video number 2 down on the page. It's more of a .gif than the whole play but he was in the pocket IIRC.  Thought it should have been called.  

Thank you good sir.  Also supports my Garoppolo closes his eyes observation.  That would concern me as a 49er fan.  As I said earlier he did it at least four times.  on the interception, and on plays that only fortuitously ended up not being interceptions.  Seems a significant flaw.  Not sure that autonomous reaction can be trained out at this stage in his life.  I know this, if I am a D-Coordinator I am bringing pressure up the middle on him next year.  I would show the flincher what is coming, make him flinch and close his eyes just before he releases the ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Probably so.  At any rate I think it so.  I also think it was about time the league reigned in all the hand fighting and pushing they were allowing.  It had gotten out of control, I thought. 

6 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Darrell Jackson and the Seahawks disagree :lol: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Probably so.  At any rate I think it so.  I also think it was about time the league reigned in all the hand fighting and pushing they were allowing.  It had gotten out of control, I thought. 

I think there should be some sort of let'em play.  I don't think Kittle did enough to justify that call.  The problem I have with the NFL today is that officials seem to be too involved in the game.  Also, I don't think they are as good as refs in yesteryear because they know if they are wrong the video will overturn it.  However, when it's too close to call the call on the field will stand and in most cases those should be a no-call, especially on pass interference. 

Edited by JohnnyU

4 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I think there should be some sort of let'em play.  I don't think Kittle did enough to justify that call.  The problem I have with the NFL today is that officials seem to be too involved in the game.  Also, I don't think they are as good as refs in yesteryear because they know if they are wrong the video will overturn it.  However, when it's too close to call the call on the field will stand.

They definitely let them play more in the SB it seems to me in the last few years.

I get the league wants more scoring and wants the offense to have all the advantages, protect the QB’s over the long run. But, man it was great to watch a game and not look (and see) a flag on seemingly every 3rd down. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Gronk was called for that about 1000 times.

7 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Does this include changing your team's thread title 5 times in 2 hours? Wingnut:

1) Implied it was the defense's fault KC won

2) called Mahomes a "golden Muppet" and that the NFL is happy

3) 2nd place sucks

4) (think he went back to the Golden Muppet insult)

5) current "NFC Champs blew it in the Super Bowl against the NFLs new golden child. We will be back and better next year. Haters can pound sand".

Every single comment is trying to deflect from Jimmy Garoppolo's performance in this game and throughout the playoffs. Not to mention the "edited" version of the comments he's posting in every Niner-related thread. He's getting a break because of Superbowl ache but it's getting ridiculous now. It's one thing if people are trolling or saying some completely out there comment; you can't crap on a completely neutral take and say a dude "never watched football before", especially with the way he's shat on other QBs. I would advise him to bring some numbers and metrics to the table if he's going to come at posters like that... I am the last person to play with like that.

The 49ers were the 1 seed and six minutes away from a championship and Jimmy was a huge reason for that.  He led game winning drives against the Saints, Rams and should have in OT against the Seahawks.  They won four games last year.  All you are doing is trolling this thread for a reaction.

2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

True. But how things were "back in the day" has nothing to do with how that should have been properly called last night. 

I think that's where people and conversations get off track.

This has nothing to do with whether it's a good rule or not. 

This has everything to do with given how the rule is normally enforced, was it a good call.

I've been an avid supporter of Garoppolo since he joined the Niners, but he doesn't seem like the same player that was digging this team out of the grave at the end of 2017.  I dunno if it's because Shanahan's put a collar on him but his play sheet seems very limited. I can't even remember him attempting a single pass outside the hashmarks aside from that long throw to Kittle.

Right now Garp feels like a poor man's Tony Romo to me (Romo minus the escapability in the pocket).

Last night Shanahan endorsed Jimmy G as the SF QB that he does not trust....without saying it.

13 minutes ago, chinawildman said:

I've been an avid supporter of Garoppolo since he joined the Niners, but he doesn't seem like the same player that was digging this team out of the grave at the end of 2017.  I dunno if it's because Shanahan's put a collar on him but his play sheet seems very limited. I can't even remember him attempting a single pass outside the hashmarks aside from that long throw to Kittle.

Right now Garp feels like a poor man's Tony Romo to me (Romo minus the escapability in the pocket).

Week 14 he went into New Orleans in a must win against a SB contender and threw for 349/4 scoring 48 points while leading his team to a GW FG

1 minute ago, tjnc09 said:

Week 14 he went into New Orleans in a must win against a SB contender and threw for 349/4 scoring 48 points while leading his team to a GW FG

Sure but that was more Kittle than Garp IMO. Don't get me wrong, he played well at times, but he doesn't seem like the same player after the ACL tear. His accuracy has seemed a bit off in the postseason as well... throwing behind guys instead of leading them and sailing passes even when not under pressure (specifically a few across the middle and one on a bubble screen to samuel come to mind)

Week 16 he led the 49ers on a 91 yard drive to take the lead against the reigning NFC champions with 6 minutes to go.  He then led them on another 60 yard drive where they kicked a GW FG.

1 minute ago, chinawildman said:

Sure but that was more Kittle than Garp IMO. Don't get me wrong, he played well at times, but he doesn't seem like the same player after the ACL tear. His accuracy has seemed a bit off in the postseason as well... throwing behind guys instead of leading them and sailing passes even when not under pressure (specifically a few across the middle and one on a bubble screen to samuel come to mind)

Oh, I got it.  When the passing game looks good, it's because of his supporting cast and not him.

He had a higher completion percentage and ypa than the SB MVP did yesterday.  I can see why everyone thinks he is terrible.

Just now, tjnc09 said:

Oh, I got it.  When the passing game looks good, it's because of his supporting cast and not him.

He had a higher completion percentage and ypa than the SB MVP did yesterday.  I can see why everyone thinks he is terrible.

Nobody said he's terrible. I just said he doesn't look like the same guy I saw prior to the ACL tear. Go watch his highlights from 2017... he seemed much more spry and probably had more velocity on his passes. I mean I think we've seen his floor, but his upside isn't quite what I thought it was when he first joined the team.

he's average at best and the 49ers are going to be regretting that contract for awhile...

If Garoppolo hits Sanders late it’s a different ballgame. He hit that pass Vs the Saints during the season and it was the difference. 

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

If Garoppolo hits Sanders late it’s a different ballgame. He hit that pass Vs the Saints during the season and it was the difference. 

Yep. Jimmy G is not as average as some think he is, but he's not a top tier guy either.  Missing that throw to Sanders should give him many sleepless nights.  That is a throw you cannot miss by that much. 

9 hours ago, The General said:

Yes, the announcers both agreed with the call as did that head official dude they talk too when discussing replays. I didn't see the play as I was in the kitchen, I only heard what they were saying. And they sounded as if there was no doubt about the call.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, tjnc09 said:

They ran that same play to Sanders against New Orleans for a TD. He just couldn't connect on it in the Superbowl. 

• Like 1