What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (1 Viewer)

How often does a team go into a game with only 1 active quarterback?

Trivia for Greg: when was the last Super Bowl team to only have 1 quarterback on the active roster?

How often does a team go into a game with only 1 active quarterback?

Trivia for Greg: when was the last Super Bowl team to only have 1 quarterback on the active roster?
No clue, has a team ever played the SB with 1 QB?  Someone back in the early days maybe?

Run It Up said:
Hyuck

They don't even waste their time saying a league source, no one actually put their name on that bull####.
Yeah that local Herald writer probably has it in for the Patriots.  That's probably it.

Blanda is a good guess but he was officially listed as a QB in the Super Bowl Gamebook. (Also, the game I am thinking of is more recent than 1968.)

But you are on the right track. The last time it happened in the Super Bowl, the team also had a special teams player who was capable of playing quarterback if the starter went down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that local Herald writer probably has it in for the Patriots.
It's pretty common, but never knowing what you're talking about in regards to the Pats makes the misunderstanding understandable.

Pretty hard to forget getting accused of taping the Rams walk through by a Boston writer who years later admitted it was completely fictional.

Blanda is a good guess but he was officially listed as a QB in the Super Bowl Gamebook. (Also, the game I am thinking of is more recent than 1968.)

But you are on the right track. The last time it happened in the Super Bowl, the team also had a special teams player who was capable of playing quarterback if the starter went down.
The 77-78 Cowboys with QB Roger Staubach and P Danny White?

95-96 Steelers with O'Donnell and Kordell?

Yep. Patriots went into that game with only 1 active QB. (Backup Scott Zolak was inactive that day.)

Tupa was their emergency quarterback even though he had not seriously played QB in 5 years.

Maybe that's where Belichick got the idea from. He was Assistant Head Coach of the 96 Patriots.  One of his 9 SB appearances. 

Wonder what the Pats would be asking. Gotta think they would atleast need the Browns 2.01 if not a deal for the Eagles 1st that the Browns own.

Yeah, talk from Belichick puppet Mike Lombardi. 

No one has seen anything from the young QB, so why would anyone trade anything for him?

Is it because of the massive success of former Pats QB?

Yeah, talk from Belichick puppet Mike Lombardi. 

No one has seen anything from the young QB, so why would anyone trade anything for him?

Is it because of the massive success of former Pats QB?
Patriots love shipping guys out a year before they have to pay him, so why wouldn't they trade him away?  Assuming they don't believe in him as Brady's successor that is.  

Patriots love shipping guys out a year before they have to pay him, so why wouldn't they trade him away?  Assuming they don't believe in him as Brady's successor that is.  
I don't have any reason why they wouldn't trade him away, that's why I didn't say that.

If the Pats have decided Tony's not the heir to Brady, I wonder why a team would send a top pick for him.

I don't have any reason why they wouldn't trade him away, that's why I didn't say that.

If the Pats have decided Tony's not the heir to Brady, I wonder why a team would send a top pick for him.
Because he looked good when he started the first few games of the year and he was a 2nd round pick?

Potential QBs available in the spring:

Cutler 

Cousins

Tyrod Taylor

Mike Glennon

All the draftees

Jimmy G is also only under contract for one more season.  Brady will be 41 at the end of Jimmy's contract.  Why wouldn't the Pats plan on keeping him? 

Cutler 

Cousins

Tyrod Taylor

Mike Glennon

All the draftees

Jimmy G is also only under contract for one more season.  Brady will be 41 at the end of Jimmy's contract.  Why wouldn't the Pats plan on keeping him? 
Brady hasnt really shown any regression yet and Jimmys probably gonna want a big contract and to be the starter. They cant afford to keep both and Jimmy im sure doesnt want to sit around waiting for Brady to retire regardless. Suppose you could move Brady but i very much doubt Kraft lets that happen

Cutler 

Cousins

Tyrod Taylor

Mike Glennon

All the draftees

Cutler 

Cousins

Tyrod Taylor

Mike Glennon

All the draftees

I am not advocating dealing him or not dealing him but is very easy to make a case as to why they would deal him...

*Brady shows zero signs of slowing down...yes, he is 39 but right now he looks the same as he always has...his game has never been built on being a physical freak so he can take a step backwards and still be very effective...it is dicey counting on a guy his age but he as been very adamant about playing until he is 45 and his training regimen and lifestyle have been gearing up for this part of his career for years...

*They can get something of value for him...pretty simple reason...not sure what they would get for him but he will be attractive to a team like Cleveland...he has a very easy contract next year so you can take him for a test-drive for a year as opposed to having to overpay for him like Houston did with Brock...

*The Pats used a third-round pick on Jacoby who they like...his contract is longer than Jimmy G's so you don't have to worry about paying him for three more years...

Quarterbacks rarely show signs of slowing down before they fall off the cliff, but it's coming sooner rather than later with Brady.  This knee injury he has now...it's just the first of many nagging injuries that will pop up on him, and while I have no doubt that he works as hard as ever, Father Time will get you, and those injuries to heal as fast as you get older. With the Ravens and Broncos defenses taking him on the next two weeks, we should get a better idea of how healthy his knee really is (as opposed to that scrimmage against a gutless Rams team last week). 

The Patriots would be smart to hold on to Garoppolo for at least another year if they can.  

Quarterbacks rarely show signs of slowing down before they fall off the cliff, but it's coming sooner rather than later with Brady.  This knee injury he has now...it's just the first of many nagging injuries that will pop up on him, and while I have no doubt that he works as hard as ever, Father Time will get you, and those injuries to heal as fast as you get older. With the Ravens and Broncos defenses taking him on the next two weeks, we should get a better idea of how healthy his knee really is (as opposed to that scrimmage against a gutless Rams team last week). 

The Patriots would be smart to hold on to Garoppolo for at least another year if they can.  
I think that is a very valid...but how do we know they don't like Jacoby better long-term (or even view Jimmy as a long-term answer...or don't see either as the long-term answer)...if they do than it makes this decision easier (and I have no clue if they do)...

I think that is a very valid...but how do we know they don't like Jacoby better long-term (or even view Jimmy as a long-term answer...or don't see either as the long-term answer)...if they do than it makes this decision easier (and I have no clue if they do)...
Right, it's hard to know.  Plus, for as well as Garoppolo played, he got hurt after like a game and a half, so if a team wants to give a king's ransom to a guy who hasn't learned how to protect himself yet, let him go.  The play he got hurt on is a play most good QBs are smart enough to avoid. 

A one and a three - that way BB gets more from the JG showcase caused by the suspension than inflategate cost em.

DC will pay the 26mil for 2nd yr franchise on Cousins if they cant work something out, which thins that FA list out but quick and there's no one as immediately promising as JG in the draft. Brady would likely have been the one looking for work in '18 if only Garopp had taken the needle for his AC joint. BB loved him as successor til then. That, plus he aint paying 15mil to keep or sign defensive players so is going to have to Billyball that sitch with college kids, will make him sell high here.

A one and a three - that way BB gets more from the JG showcase caused by the suspension than inflategate cost em.
Deflategate didn't cost them a thing - it let them get huge trade value without hurting their record. The Patriots are like friggin zombies. Unless you take out the brain (BB) you can't kill them. 

As for a 1 & a 3, what would the Pats do with a 1? They'd probably just turn it into a 3, two 4s, and a 6. And the 6th will end up being their best player. It's uncanny. 

Deflategate didn't cost them a thing - it let them get huge trade value without hurting their record. The Patriots are like friggin zombies. Unless you take out the brain (BB) you can't kill them. 

As for a 1 & a 3, what would the Pats do with a 1? They'd probably just turn it into a 3, two 4s, and a 6. And the 6th will end up being their best player. It's uncanny. 
that's the most thinking i've seen an east bay guy do...

Put the pipe down.  A 1st isn't going anywhere for him.  Best call is for them to just hang onto the QB so in 2018 they can roll with Jimmy G and Jacoby B as their QBs.

Legendary post.

Reports of Cleveland making a push for him in the offseason, thoughts?  
Would be surprised if Pats let him go at this point.  If Joe Montana and Peyton Manning can get the boot so can Brady.  Suspect 2017 is his last in NE.  It's hard To find good QBs and you don't give up a decade plus to squeeze one more year out of a 41 year old.

Would be surprised if Pats let him go at this point.  If Joe Montana and Peyton Manning can get the boot so can Brady.  Suspect 2017 is his last in NE.  It's hard To find good QBs and you don't give up a decade plus to squeeze one more year out of a 41 year old.
 I dunno man - BB may well believe that he could put a potato behind center and get 300 yards out of him. 

And he loooooooves draft picks. 

Brady has more than 1 good year left in him and the Pats have 2 good QBs behind Brady. 

I'd be none surprised if Jimmy G got dealt. Like you said, good QBs are hard to find, which puts Garoppolo's value sky high.  

Not sure if it was in this thread or not, the issue in keeping Jimmy G. is NE has him signed through next year and Brady still playing well and signed for three more years. The Pats can trade, re-sign, franchise, or let Garoppolo walk. Jimmy G. is going to want starter money, so I can't see him getting less than Osweiler got (4 years, $72 million). Brady is due $14 million a year in 2018 and 2019. Does anyone think NE will shell out $30-35M a year to carry two QBs?

The best outcome for NE would be that Brady plays next year and then retires, but he seems like he wants to play well beyond that. IMO, Jimmy G ends up wherever McDaniels becomes a head coach.

Not sure if it was in this thread or not, the issue in keeping Jimmy G. is NE has him signed through next year and Brady still playing well and signed for three more years. The Pats can trade, re-sign, franchise, or let Garoppolo walk. Jimmy G. is going to want starter money, so I can't see him getting less than Osweiler got (4 years, $72 million). Brady is due $14 million a year in 2018 and 2019. Does anyone think NE will shell out $30-35M a year to carry two QBs?

The best outcome for NE would be that Brady plays next year and then retires, but he seems like he wants to play well beyond that. IMO, Jimmy G ends up wherever McDaniels becomes a head coach.
There is no way short of catastrophic injury that Brady will choose to retire after next season. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightening or an asteroid hitting earth.

Brisset was terrible.  There's no reason to believe he's a good QB.
Disagree. Brisset looked good until he shredded his thumb ligaments. Then he played that one game and was awful because he had essentially no thumb on his throwing hand.  He showed some serious grit playing and younhave to throw out that game. 

Not sure about the best outcome being Brady retires after one more year. That's making some big assumptions about both garrapolos level of okay and Brady dropping off

I don't know if the Browns should, but the Texans should give it some thought. Most of the coaching staff has NE ties and Houston looks like a QB away from being a legit team. 

Users who are viewing this thread