What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (1 Viewer)

In a 2QB 12 team dynasty league, he was just taken as the 20th QB off the board - ahead of Eli, Smith, Flacco, Cutler, Romo, Goff and Simeon.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a 2QB 12 team dynasty league, he was just taken as the 20th QB off the board - ahead of Eli, Smith, Flacco, Cutler, Romo, Goff and Simeon.
Seems about right.  I'd pretty easily take him over Eli, Cutler, Romo, and Simeon.  I could see arguments for Smith, Flacco, or Goff instead. 

In a 1QB 12 teamer midseason last year i traded a 4th and Wendell Smallwood for him. I realize drastically different formats, i just thought it was still a considerable jump in value.

These trades have worked out so well in the past--Scott Mitchell, Kolb, etc,etc. The Browns aren't winning soon, panicking on an average qb won't help.

So there are rumblings that Jimmy has just been traded. No details, no confirmation.

He posted

Has removed mentions of Patriots in his social media bios.
Sounds like CLE put that newly acquired 2nd round pick to use.

I'll say 1.12, 4.36, and 2018 2nd (HOU)

and a.... "I told you so" to all those in here that said no way JG would be traded for a first.

Schefter on WEEI right now, remains adamant the Pats are not trading him. Said someone from the team texted him yesterday "Does Cleveland not understand we are not trading him?"

Boston said:
He has a lot on the line with this...because he has been so adamant if they do trade him he will lose some credibility...
Yeah that is true. Just seems weird person feeding him info would be so sure. I mean what if Cleveland offered 3 1st round picks. Is he still not tradeable?

Yeah that is true. Just seems weird person feeding him info would be so sure. I mean what if Cleveland offered 3 1st round picks. Is he still not tradeable?
Could not agree more...I have seen/heard Shefter a thousand times but he really seems to have a chip on his shoulder about this...he gets pissed talking about it...unless he has suddenly turned into BB's long-lost brother or has hacked into Ernie Adams'computer I don't know you can be 100% sure about anything the Pats may or may not do...Gilmore is just the most recent example of them surprising people...happens all the time with this franchise...

Profootballtalk reports there's a "persistent belief within league circles" that the Patriots "truly" want to keep Jimmy Garoppolo.

The idea being, despite Tom Brady's continued elite play, he turns 40 in August, and could have his Peyton Manning decline at any given moment. It's a valid concern for the Patriots, but by keeping Garoppolo for 2017, they would be forced to give him the franchise tag if they wanted him for 2018. That would be untenable if Brady remains under contract, as he's insisted he will.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

NESN reporting that the browns are planning another run at Jimmy G next week at the football spring meetings

Lets talk fantasy trade value.

32 team / double copy player / dynasty - QB depth would be the same as a 16 team league:

Last year, halfway thru the season, I traded away Tyrod Taylor straight up for Garappolo. I own Brees there so I can afford to wait a year or two if need be.

Similar league - 2 weeks ago, solicited both JG owners (double copy players), one owner wouldn't budge for less than a rookie 1st in return.

I ended up striking a deal with the other JG owner giving a rookie 4th, 2018 2nd and 2018 4th for JG.

I'm confident that JG will be money once he gets his chance. I'm predicting CLE this season ...but if somehow NE figures out a way to keep him (Brady retires) then even better for JG owners.

Bossman said:
Was there a time frame on my prediction? Has trading ended?

NE might wait until the day of the draft to trade him. And when they do ...# kings ransom

You are full of yourself aren't you?

I don't know if the Browns should, but the Texans should give it some thought. Most of the coaching staff has NE ties and Houston looks like a QB away from being a legit team. 
There is no way the Patriots trade JG to Houston. They are a qb away from being a legit contender in the AFC.

I think they Patriots interest in JG is genuine. If they were to deal him (and I don’t think they will, but you never know what  Belichick is thinking) this season, the most logical choice would be to the Browns.

I think the Patriots end up trading Malcolm Butler to replenish the loss of their 1st + 2nd roundpicks and keep Jimmy G. I honestly  think that the Patriots feel he is the real deal and would have to be absolutely blown away by a trade offer.

I think they Patriots interest in JG is genuine. If they were to deal him (and I don’t think they will, but you never know what  Belichick is thinking) this season, the most logical choice would be to the Browns.

I think the Patriots end up trading Malcolm Butler to replenish the loss of their 1st + 2nd roundpicks and keep Jimmy G. I honestly  think that the Patriots feel he is the real deal and would have to be absolutely blown away by a trade offer.
I would be happy if NE kept JG as I too believe he is "genuine".

... but at the same time I would be disappointed as this would mean that Brady only has one more year with the team. 

Bossman said:
I would be happy if NE kept JG as I too believe he is "genuine".

... but at the same time I would be disappointed as this would mean that Brady only has one more year with the team. 
BB is being somewhat inconsistent. If this is really Brady's swan song season, then they wouldn't be trying to trade Butler to the Saints. There are some puzzle pieces that don't fit together in all of this.

BB is being somewhat inconsistent. If this is really Brady's swan song season, then they wouldn't be trying to trade Butler to the Saints. There are some puzzle pieces that don't fit together in all of this.
They may be trading Butler to the Saints, to use a high draft pick on shoring up the offensive line to get that extra second for JG to get rid of the ball. Im not saying this is the case, just refuting your claim that trading Butler somehow correlates with the possible Brady's swan song season.

I would claim that trading Butler may have more to do with the possible signing of Darelle Revis than the remaining shelf life of Tom Brady.

I doubt there is a sane person in the world that would rather have Revis than Butler. At this point, there may be long term planning involved, but BB may be having to reevaluate year to year way more than he has in the past.

I doubt there is a sane person in the world that would rather have Revis than Butler. At this point, there may be long term planning involved, but BB may be having to reevaluate year to year way more than he has in the past.
Absolutely agree, but if New England gets Revis PLUS a first round pick instead of Butler, then we're having a different conversation.

Rumor has it that NE has their eye on a player (unspecified) that would require a Top 5 draft pick to obtain. So 12 wouldn't cut it, and I doubt CLE would give up (nor would NE really want) the top overall pick.
Sounds like a 3rd team (pick 2-5) would need to enter the equation to make something like this work.

Absolutely agree, but if New England gets Revis PLUS a first round pick instead of Butler, then we're having a different conversation.
I doubt it. Revis is likely a huge downgrade from Butler . . . and Revis may not even be a starting CB in the league anymore. If it's the #32 pick coming back, who knows how long that player would take to develop. IMO, NE's best move is to do nothing with Butler. Let him sign an offer sheet or come back and play for $3.9 million. Then see where they are next year and see if they want to try to bring him back.

I doubt it. Revis is likely a huge downgrade from Butler . . . and Revis may not even be a starting CB in the league anymore. If it's the #32 pick coming back, who knows how long that player would take to develop. IMO, NE's best move is to do nothing with Butler. Let him sign an offer sheet or come back and play for $3.9 million. Then see where they are next year and see if they want to try to bring him back.
Every Patriots fan would obviously agree with this.

I'm just bringing up other options, as Butler looks to be on his way out. 

A source told ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi that the Browns "would make another run" at trading for Jimmy Garoppolo at this week's Owners Meetings.

Convening in Phoenix for a few days of meetings, top decision makers Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick of the Patriots and Jimmy Haslam and Sashi Brown of the Browns will be in the same building, making for easier conversations. There have been several reports of the Patriots being adamant they won't trade Garoppolo, but the Browns are going to try their best. Grossi believes either Garoppolo or Cody Kessler will be the Week 1 starter. Brock Osweiler isn't viewed as having a realistic shot.

Related: Browns

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 27 - 9:36 AM

Users who are viewing this thread