What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (1 Viewer)

It was a mistake not trade him as he is pretty mediocre. I see someone with a mediocre arm and mediocre accuracy, I'd bet a ton of money he will never be a franchise QB. One hit and this guy will break like glass. 

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he has not decided who will start at quarterback following the bye week.

Outside observers have presumed Jimmy Garoppolo would get the nod following the bye week, but Shanahan says he has yet to make a plan. "I’m going to continue to work with Jimmy over the bye week, here and there," Shanahan said. "Then we’ll start the evaluation Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. But it’s not just about C.J [Beathard]. It’s not just about Jimmy. There’s a lot of things that go into it." Beathard did lead the 49ers to their first win of the season on Sunday, but the team did not trade for Garoppolo at the deadline just to watch him ride the bench the rest of the season. It would be surprising if Garoppolo is not under center Week 12 against the Seahawks.

Source: NBC Sports Bay Area 

Nov 13 - 11:45 AM

Any word from Niners camp on who might make the start vs Seattle? Who is taking reps in practice? That should pretty much tell the tale. IMO SF needs to get him out there ASAP to evaluate what they have.

And I'm not saying this as a biased and nervous Dak owner looking for help down the stretch. :)

Just a temperature check for owners out there, just moved him in a 1QB 12 team dynasty with a 3rd for Josh Doctson and CJ Prosise.

Just a temperature check for owners out there, just moved him in a 1QB 12 team dynasty with a 3rd for Josh Doctson and CJ Prosise.
I have similar deal in works. 1QB 14-team, QBs are kind of a premium. I'd be moving Jimmy G + Shaheen for Trubisky + Doctson.

I wonder if what happened with Peterman is affecting their decision. Obviously, Jimmy is not a 4th-round rookie, nor is the Seattle D as scary as it's been in the past. Still, with a system as complex as Shanahan's, maybe they don't feel the need to rush him out there and will wait for a more advantageous match-up (@Hou in two weeks).

I've lost four QBs to injury/benching this season. so I'm pretty desperate. If Tyrod starts, I'll go with him. But if he sits and Jimmy starts, I would be choosing between Jimmy and Fitzmagic.

I touted Beathard earlier this season (before the Garoppolo trade) as a decent stash in dynasty leagues, especially if you're not set at QB. I got quite a bit of negative feedback, but the kid can play. He's also a good runner which obviously helps in FF.

CJ is no joke. He's in a turd of a situation, but it's amazing what a QB can do when you give him protection. Staley coming back in week 10 made a big difference. The 9ers didn't give up a sack.

Everything considered, CJ has played well. While Jimmy G is the favorite to be their starter next season, it's not written in stone. I think CJ surprised a lot of the naysayers last week.

I wouldn't mind seeing what CJ could do a against Seattle. Maybe he bombs, but if anybody believes Garoppolo is going to come in & light it up, they're dreaming (& I like Jimmy G). Not going to happen. Not yet, anyway.

I believe the Garoppolo/CJ situation is more undecided than many people think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how San Fran is handling Jimmy G...zero doubt in my mind that they see him as their future...seems like they have a legit plan and are thinking long-term...the bonus is it gives them a look at Beathard to see what they have there and he might be OK himself...they could go from having a black hole at QB to being in good shape at QB in less then a year...

Well, it was just two plays, but damn he sure looked like he knew what he was doing out there. 

Calm, good pocket presence, patted the ball, slid to avoid the pressure that he sensed, and threw a nice ball for a TD.

still a ton of cash to franchise him, but I gotta say - I’m kinda excited to see how he does next year. 

Spike said:
I thought he looked very poised and comfortable.
Agreed. Again; hard to read into two plays, but he had the look of an NFL QB. 

You could see he wasn’t overwhealmed in the slightest, and that was under the worst of conditions coming in unexpectedly due to injury. 

My biggest takeaway was his pocket presence. Like, he had some. lol

Not sure why JG isn't starting regardless next week. 

I'm getting the feeling that SF is afraid that he might win them a few games ...

wouldn't want to damage that top 3 draft pick slot that they'll be getting.

Not sure why JG isn't starting regardless next week. 

I'm getting the feeling that SF is afraid that he might win them a few games ...

wouldn't want to damage that top 3 draft pick slot that they'll be getting.
No, more like they're about to pay him 24 million dollars and would prefer to keep him vertical. I've heard various folks from the Niners on local radio talking about wanting him to be healthy & not risking injury. 

now that Beathard is hurt, they don't really have a choice.

Question...do you think they turn back to Beathard when he is healthy? No way, right?

Shanny back in Houston, a very week secondary, for Week 14? He may want to do some damage to his old team and see if the horse he will have to franchise has that quality in him. This will be such a pass heavy team going forward.

Anything to see here?

Signed, a desperate DeSean Watson owner who has been starting Bortles, Brissett, McCown, and Cutler.

Users who are viewing this thread