What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (1 Viewer)

Milkman said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Milkman said:
I mean that was the worst run D in the league he just went up against. It was close the entire game and he got the ball a ton. Am I missing something here?
he scores points, why you fishing so hard, bro?
I feel I see something a lot of people are missing because omg #1 RB in FF. He has to be good right?
Are you still trying to be right about this and win the internet? LOL.........

Milkman said:
Milkman said:
I mean that was the worst run D in the league he just went up against. It was close the entire game and he got the ball a ton. Am I missing something here?
I feel I see something a lot of people are missing because omg #1 RB in FF. He has to be good right?
Please stop. We get it. You don't like Freeman.
Why would I stop now? He's been terrible which is proving I might be on to something. I don't expect people to not bump this thread if he runs well.
More info please. You are certainly onto something. You nailed the low ypc. What else?

Milkman said:
Milkman said:
Why would I stop now? He's been terrible which is proving I might be on to something. I don't expect people to not bump this thread if he runs well.
If Freeman is so bad, then explain to me why Coleman didn't get more carries. See, since ATL was basically out of it a while ago, if Coleman was their "RB of the future" and not Freeman, you would think Coleman would have received a lot more work in the past 4-5 games. But he didn't, and I think that speaks volumes.

Milkman said:
Milkman said:
If Freeman is so bad, then explain to me why Coleman didn't get more carries. See, since ATL was basically out of it a while ago, if Coleman was their "RB of the future" and not Freeman, you would think Coleman would have received a lot more work in the past 4-5 games. But he didn't, and I think that speaks volumes.
Concussion. Coleman slipped and hit his head trying to catch the handoff of a bar of soap from Milkman in the shower.

It sure is odd that the #1 RB in FF has seen a drop in his value during his break out season.......

His production is based on an insane usage rate. That usage rate is sure to drop for two reasons.

1. He's not producing.

2. He's not the best RB on his team.

Alas, I must register objection to these arguments.  Much like the idea of "cluster luck" in baseball, Freeman seems to be penalized because his great games came all together, and his poor games came together.  If these games were interspersed, would we claim that they were trends or credit him with a great fantasy season?

The article fails to mention that Freeman's decline correlated directly with the Falcons' overall decline offensively and Matt Ryan's period of utter ineffectiveness, nor that the addition of Alex Mack at center and his skill in the zone blocking scheme, which is Kyle Shanahan's offensive philosophy and the running game style that best favors Freeman instead of Tevin Coleman.

I doubt Freeman puts up the explosive numbers of last year; they would be unsustainable for anyone.  But the volume seems there as a pass-catching back, and the running scheme favors his skill set.  I'll buy in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alas, I must register objection to these arguments.  Much like the idea of "cluster luck" in baseball, Freeman seems to be penalized because his great games came all together, and his poor games came together.  If these games were interspersed, would we claim that they were trends or credit him with a great fantasy season?

The article fails to mention that Freeman's decline correlated directly with the Falcons' overall decline offensively and Matt Ryan's period of utter ineffectiveness, nor that the addition of Alex Mack at center and his skill in the zone blocking scheme, which is Kyle Shanahan's offensive philosophy and the running game style that best favors Freeman instead of Tevin Coleman.

I doubt Freeman puts up the explosive numbers of last year; they would be unsustainable for anyone.  But the volume seems there as a pass-catching back, and the running scheme favors his skill set.  I'll buy in.
Very good rebuttle.

Schroeder, you make Fabulous points but I am still not drafting a RB early so wont land him as he may go Top 5 RB.
FWIW, the teams own coaches did not even think Coleman was the better back and if he was, he would have played.
As a reader should I trust the coaches, or Milkman?

Schroeder, you make Fabulous points but I am still not drafting a RB early so wont land him as he may go Top 5 RB.
FWIW, the teams own coaches did not even think Coleman was the better back and if he was, he would have played.
As a reader should I trust the coaches, or Milkman?
That's not exactly accurate...the 'teams own coaches' thought Coleman was the better back in pre-season, then injuries struck and Freeman inherited the job by himself. Of course, that doesn't take away from what the stats he posted afterwards, but it is worth asking the question why wasn't he so dominant with Coleman in the fold.

So I am definitely not saying you are wrong, but I am highlighting there is sufficient body of evidence to cast some doubt on the argument that Freeman is better than Coleman. Freeman may indeed be an elite RB...or just the product of a good system plus a few bad defenses. 

Coleman is the better back. Don't let 'em get you down, Milkman. 
Everybody and their mother is picking him to bust or underperform his ADP. He was horrible running the ball down the stretch. I'm just simple saying I called it back when he was running for 100+ yards.

That's not exactly accurate...the 'teams own coaches' thought Coleman was the better back in pre-season, then injuries struck and Freeman inherited the job by himself. 
Not exactly.  Coleman only had the job at the start of the season because Freeman had been injured in camp himself.  Both backs were hurt and Coleman got back to full health first.

The team looked to be heading to full committee mode until Coleman got hurt again in-season and Freeman went on his tear.

Arodin said:
Not exactly.  Coleman only had the job at the start of the season because Freeman had been injured in camp himself.  Both backs were hurt and Coleman got back to full health first.

The team looked to be heading to full committee mode until Coleman got hurt again in-season and Freeman went on his tear.
Not only that, but the coaching staff, which remains the same this year, had ample opportunity to install Coleman as the starting/feature back.  One, when Coleman returned from injury, Freeman remained the feature back.  In fairness, this was during his massive tear.  However, when Freeman missed Week 12 with a concussion, upon his return from injury, Freeman was immediately reinstalled as the starter in Week 13.  Entering Week 13, the Falcons had gone from 5-0 to 6-5 and were essentially a non-playoff contending team.  About 1/4 of the Falcons' season was playing out the string developmental time, and the coaching staff didn't give Coleman any considerable workload.

I don't mean to sound like a Freeman fanboy, but I am failing to see the evidence of the coaching staff's preference for Coleman.  If they believe Coleman is the future, then their decision-making in the last quarter of 2015 is utterly baffling.

It's going to be important for the Falcons to establish Coleman as a viable component to their rushing attack.  Some of Freeman's usage numbers were absurd.  But it does feel as if folks are jumping off Freeman's bandwagon a tad soon.  

First off, they added a PB C in Alex Mack and their OT's are young and improving. Second, I think people feel that his emergence was more fad than a true reflection of his ability.

Personally as a Falcon fan, I see the Falcons starting to become/establish a more balanced attack meaning greater emphasis on the rushing attack.  Ultimately, Freeman is a pretty good bet (assuming 16 game health - decent sized if) to still get 300+ touches.  A very Ray Rice type of player.

Freeman won a lot of fantasy teams their championship last year based on where he was drafted and what he did.  Those who missed out on him are probably the one's driving the Coleman train for the most part.  Many times on these forums ownership bias rears its ugly head and opinions are represented as facts.

I have a hard time believing if both are healthy that Freeman won't be the starter going into this season after the way he performed last season.  However, if you draft Freeman it is almost a must that you back him up with Coleman later in the draft.

Freeman feels like decent value at his current ADP given the OL improvements.  Coleman is currently a cheap handcuff too.  I need to look at his schedule though.

Damn Freeman looks really good. A legit running back and footballplayer.

Coleman, looks like a bit like an athlete playing football.  Should be plenty of touches to go around though. As the team had 479 touches amongst its RBs last year and shouyld be better offensively. With the receiving downs and goalline locked up, Freeman should be a pretty heady producer once again.

He's being criminally underdrafted. When was the last time the #1 RB from last year fell late into the second round?

He's being criminally underdrafted. When was the last time the #1 RB from last year fell late into the second round?
People are trying to be too cute here.  Guy is being drafted at his floor if healthy (in PPR) by barely going in the top 10.  Mack is also a significant improvement to the OL

Yeah taking a recent fall for some odd reason 
Coleman worked into the first team and first series just as the coaches wanted. So if you don't dig deeper it makes sense.

But there are plenty of touches to go around (479 last year at RB) and Freeman gets ALL the goalline and pass options over Coleman.

Not just draft, but also trade for him from people are badly undervaluing him.  :thanks:
I disagree, He's The Maltese Falcon. You know, "the stuff that dreams are made of." A young RB that gets 250 rushes, near 100 targets and is the GL back. Conjures up memories of Faulk.  Except spoiler alert, the bird's a fake. Solid lead that will sink your team. 

I disagree, He's The Maltese Falcon. You know, "the stuff that dreams are made of." A young RB that gets 250 rushes, near 100 targets and is the GL back. Conjures up memories of Faulk.  Except spoiler alert, the bird's a fake. Solid lead that will sink your team. 
He is still the pass-receiving and goalline back back.

I'm pretty mixed on what to make of Freeman. 

Last saturday I took him 2.09 - that late in the 2nd I told myself, I'd be nutty to pass him up in a PPR league. 

Handcuffed with an end-draft pick of Coleman, so some safety net there, but so far neither have looked good in the preseason. 

Lots of FFB-ers are down on his prospects - experts project a drop-off from 2015, but not by as much as the masses seem to be torpedoing him. 

I've got him, so I have to stay optimistic and say "well, it's not the start of the season", but I would have liked to have seen something from one of them to settle my stomach a bit. 

He is still the pass-receiving and goalline back back.
I don't see him getting 337 touches again. Probably closer to 237. Still a good fantasy back, but I would project him to something like 1200 total yards and 10 TDs as I think Coleman and him split the rushes pretty evenly. It's a solid year, but more of a RB2 than an RB1. 

I don't see him getting 337 touches again. Probably closer to 237. Still a good fantasy back, but I would project him to something like 1200 total yards and 10 TDs as I think Coleman and him split the rushes pretty evenly. It's a solid year, but more of a RB2 than an RB1. 
I hope so, because that's exactly how I drafted him in my PPR. Had an old school start with DJohnson/Freeman. Boom or bust baby!   ;)

If Freeman splits the difference and has 250 carries + GL & receiving duties, that's a pretty high end RB2, who should border on top 12 numbers in PPR leagues. But the Falcons offense has to not be teh suck and so far they've looked awful. 

Also, last year Ryan was a RZ choker, throwing uncharacteristic picks trying to force the ball to Julio. Hopefully coaching takes that into consideration and starts running more in the red zone, and incorporating some RB screens, because the crap they tried all last year was straight up failball. 

Signed,

~Burned Bad By MattyIce 2015

I hope so, because that's exactly how I drafted him in my PPR. Had an old school start with DJohnson/Freeman. Boom or bust baby!   ;)
Hey, me too! Kept DJ and got Freeman (auction draft). 

I don't see Coleman being that big of a threat (3.1 YPC preseason), and he's more like a handcuff+ at this point. I'm more anxious that the ATL offense is going to tank as a whole.

If Freeman splits the difference and has 250 carries + GL & receiving duties, that's a pretty high end RB2, who should border on top 12 numbers in PPR leagues. But the Falcons offense has to not be teh suck and so far they've looked awful. 

Also, last year Ryan was a RZ choker, throwing uncharacteristic picks trying to force the ball to Julio. Hopefully coaching takes that into consideration and starts running more in the red zone, and incorporating some RB screens, because the crap they tried all last year was straight up failball. 

Signed,

~Burned Bad By MattyIce 2015
PPR he is obviously a better player. 1200 and 10 in standard is like RB17 in ppg. 

Tevin Coleman was getting an awful lot of time last night, seemed like they were switching off every series. I understand its preseason and its probably to give them equal reps with the 1's but at the same time I am starting to concerned over this.

Hmmmm..... That's pretty curious.  Coleman actually beat out Freeman last summer before getting hurt and then Freeman went nuts.  

Tevin Coleman was getting an awful lot of time last night, seemed like they were switching off every series. I understand its preseason and its probably to give them equal reps with the 1's but at the same time I am starting to concerned over this.

Hmmmm..... That's pretty curious.  Coleman actually beat out Freeman last summer before getting hurt and then Freeman went nuts.  
Snap count was 15-15 when the starters were in. Both looked underwhelming. 

They didn't even want to play Freeman week 2, but he was suited as he practiced. They still weren't sure if he 100% and had missed everything up to that point.
Yup. I've grown tired of people that keep saying Coleman was the bonafide, week1, workhorse. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread