What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (3 Viewers)

are freeman owners trying to acquire coleman?  The way I viewed the situation pre-season was i wanted some share of this backfield because of how fantasy friendly it was last year.  Coleman was just a much cheaper price.  i didnt expect the 50-50 timeshare talk to come to fruitiion.  The somewhat good news is if either RB goes down, the other becomes an instant RB1.

I know it seems bleak, and I drafted this guy.. but a glimmer of deja vu hope in this thread for some kharma..

This was last years week 1 stat line, also awful for Freeman...  let's see what happens week 2...

Rushing

ATT

YDS

TD

LG

T. Coleman

D. Freeman

M. Ryan

Receiving

REC

YDS

TD

LG

J. Jones

R. White

D. Freeman

J. Tamme

L. Hankerson

N. Williams

L. Toilolo

I feel better reading this now... last year he also had a miserable game 1....
The only reason for the change was Coleman's injury.  Coleman was the lead back in game 2, but went out in the middle with the fractured rib, missed a few games and the rest is history.  Last year, it seemed like Coleman was the coach's preference going into the season (which is still bizarre), so I do think that there is some cause for concern.

I took your advice. ( not really) I saw the writing on the wall. A 2016 2nd, 2017 1st and a 2018 1st from a really bad team is gold.
 I effeminately didn't take his advice.  I rode Freeman to a championship last year - then traded him for 2017 1.1 pre-NFL draft.  I expected somewhat of a split, just not as large as initially indicated by week 1.

I called this last year. LOLOLOL @tone1oc
You didn't call diddly squat.  You said Freeman sucks a$$.....and we know that's not true.  You're seeing that Coleman is actually a pretty talented player, so ATL is smart to get him some touches.  Great for the Falcons, sucks for Freeman owners. 

Coleman played better last Sunday.....so what, it's one game. It looked like Freeman was usually in the game at the goalline, which is very helpful to his owners.

Freeman is not likely to deliver to his ADP (I avoided him at his ADP this year), but it's not because he sucks.

You didn't call diddly squat.  You said Freeman sucks a$$.....and we know that's not true.  You're seeing that Coleman is actually a pretty talented player, so ATL is smart to get him some touches.  Great for the Falcons, sucks for Freeman owners. 

Coleman played better last Sunday.....so what, it's one game. It looked like Freeman was usually in the game at the goalline, which is very helpful to his owners.

Freeman is not likely to deliver to his ADP (I avoided him at his ADP this year), but it's not because he sucks.
Another troll job that won't be reported. Lolol 

Matthew Berry  Verified account ‏@MatthewBerryTMR  Sep 12

Last 5 games, Devonta Freeman has averaged 2.87 yards per carry.

Over that same time frame, Tevin Coleman has averaged 5.08 yards per carry.

If you go further back, Devonta Freeman has actually only averaged 2.96 yars per carry over his last 7 games.

So while Devonta Freeman did go absolutely nuclear for a 6-game span last season (you can't take that away from him), he has looked VERY PEDESTRIAN in the other 26 career games he has played (211 total carries, 658 yards, 3.12 ypc, 4 TDs).

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthew Berry  Verified account ‏@MatthewBerryTMR  Sep 12

Last 5 games, Devonta Freeman has averaged 2.87 yards per carry.

Over that same time frame, Tevin Coleman has averaged 5.08 yards per carry.

If you go further back, Devonta Freeman has actually only averaged 2.96 yars per carry over his last 7 games.

So while Devonta Freeman did go absolutely nuclear for a 6-game span last season (you can't take that away from him), he has looked VERY PEDESTRIAN in the other 26 career games he has played (211 total carries, 658 yards, 3.12 ypc, 4 TDs).
Honestly...excluding the first game this year, over the last four games last season, Tevin Coleman had 7 carries.  Two of those four games were against Carolina, against whom Coleman tallied three carries.

This is just cherry-picking, and not of the very logical variety.

Honestly...excluding the first game this year, over the last four games last season, Tevin Coleman had 7 carries.  Two of those four games were against Carolina, against whom Coleman tallied three carries.

What about the stats for the 5, 7, or 26 Freeman games?

I'd be VERY concerned if I owned him.

It's Matt Berry, what do you expect?

Still hoping I can get 30-50 yds on the ground each week and 4-6 catches for 20-40 more yards, maybe a TD every other game.  Can still be a nice RB2 in PPR. Have Coleman in this dynasty as well, would be nice if one of them would take over this committee, which Coleman might have already started to do.  Loved seeing his production in the passing game, could potentially make him money in the bank.  

Slapdash said:
I'd be much more concerned if Coleman looked good in the running game while Freeman was faltering.  Fact is, neither was anything to write home about Week 1
Over the last 6-8 games they've played that has happened actually. 

:ph34r:

Devonta Freeman (quad) was a full participant at Thursday's practice.
Freeman was limited at Wednesday's session. His full participation on Thursday should erase any lingering doubt about his status for Week 2. With Tevin Coleman emerging as a real threat to his workload, Freeman will be right on the RB2/3 cutoff for Sunday's game in Oakland.

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitte

Devonta Freeman (quad) was a full participant at Thursday's practice.
Freeman was limited at Wednesday's session. His full participation on Thursday should erase any lingering doubt about his status for Week 2. With Tevin Coleman emerging as a real threat to his workload, Freeman will be right on the RB2/3 cutoff for Sunday's game in Oakland.

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitte
You better believe he will play, he's worrying about Coleman and should be.

Not really. 

And my comment only specified week 1
Lol well one guy had like less than 3 ypc average (or something terrible like that) and one guy averaged over 5 during that same span. It's exactly what you said you would be worried about. 

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9423/devonta-freeman

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Falcons still consider Devonta Freeman their starter but believe Tevin Coleman is "just as talented."
One source told Rapsheet, "We know it's a fantasy nightmare." You can say that again. The Falcons took a committee approach in Week 1 and there's nothing to suggest that will change anytime soon. Freeman might see slightly more carries and is probably first in line for goal-line work, but Coleman is going to have an important role as well and appears to have the edge in passing-game usage. Freeman is a back-end RB2 while Coleman is in the flex conversation. Owners who invested an early-round pick on Freeman have to be regretting their decision. Sep 18 - 10:01 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

On my bench today but my options at least for today and the next week or two, are good (D.Johnson, Deangelo, Ware, Woodhead) otherwise i'd feel like I had to start him with the match-up he has.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9423/devonta-freeman

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Falcons still consider Devonta Freeman their starter but believe Tevin Coleman is "just as talented."
One source told Rapsheet, "We know it's a fantasy nightmare." You can say that again. The Falcons took a committee approach in Week 1 and there's nothing to suggest that will change anytime soon. Freeman might see slightly more carries and is probably first in line for goal-line work, but Coleman is going to have an important role as well and appears to have the edge in passing-game usage. Freeman is a back-end RB2 while Coleman is in the flex conversation. Owners who invested an early-round pick on Freeman have to be regretting their decision. Sep 18 - 10:01 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

That's horrible news. Best case scenario now involves either one vastly outplaying the other and earning the most reps, or an injury. I'm not one who will ever root for an injury. But to use a first round pic on a guy who is in a RBBC starting week one is painful. I'm gonna need to strike WW gold to recover from this. 

He fell to me, and i am annoyed i took him, but at this point its a sunk cost, so I need a few games to determine if I will bench for the likes of yeldon snd crowell, my alternative choices,,or john brown or sanders my flex choices...

Hoping for the best today, but prepared to bench next week if its as bad as last week.

Amazing that Coleman is the goal line back right now.  Freeman looks really strong running the ball tonight.  Should have started both

I did...  benched Ware for both in a start 2 no flex. Might just save me from starting Gronk.
Nice, I'll win despite it.

Starting both is a legit option if Atlanta can run like this.  Offensive line is gelling.  First time this year they have gotten Freeman involved in the passing game.

New Orleans does suck though.

Nice, I'll win despite it.

Starting both is a legit option if Atlanta can run like this.  Offensive line is gelling.  First time this year they have gotten Freeman involved in the passing game.

New Orleans does suck though.
This was the biggest reason.

very upset to see coleman get the goal touches.  But man did freeman look good or what?  Just watched all the highlights on NFL.com from last night, beast mode.

Coleman was at 3.55 per carry (on non td runs, less if you include them) and yet Freeman was at 10.9.  On the year DF is almost twice the ypc as TC.
We can all see that with our eyes before we study the stats

These paid professional coaches, though - they're smart 

They obviously believe in their oft-stated plan to get Coleman more involved

I'm a Freeman owner in dynasty.  Obviously a bit frustrating to see Coleman  get all the goal line work, but I'm not mad at the coaching staff - I think what they are doing makes a ton of sense.  

Coleman has very good size and speed, and while he's not as experienced as Freeman, he's still a solid receiver out of the backfield.  Those qualities make him ideal for the red zone, whether its pounding the ball through a gap and gaining 2-3 yards or catching the ball out in the flats.

Freeman is shiftier, harder to tackle, has better vision, more reliable hands, and is more experienced.  I think that makes him a better RB between the 20's than Coleman, although Coleman's superior speed can sometimes result in him having a higher YPC as he is better at exploiting a big hole..

So I think both RB's on Atlanta are very good and compliment each other well. I am convinced that as long as both of them are on the roster and healthy, it will remain close to a 50/50 split in carries between the two backs, with Coleman getting the bulk of the goal line work.    They both should be solid fantasy plays in PPR leagues however, and have big upside if one of them gets hurt (Coleman appears to be more of risk here to me given his history and his upright running style).

I haven't paid a ton of attention to the running game in Atlanta this year but I have been offered Freeman for Gurley in a trade (no keeper value) and just trying to gauge what's going on in Atlanta ROS.  Is Coleman back after the bye?  Atlanta has a bad rushing schedule in weeks 14-16 so maybe I stick with Gurley.

i think coleman actually helps freeman at this point, when both at in the backfield, and or keeps him fresher, he seemed a bit worn out with him out...

Hinted at up thread here, but is anyone starting both Freeman and Coleman down the stretch?  Atlanta's schedule isn't awesome for RBs, but it's not terrible... between the two, I would think you're looking at 30-35 touches a week, including 5+ receptions, strong yardage, and a good bet at a TD.

This kid is underrated.   He has developed into an absolute stud in real life and PPR fantasy football.  His eulisiveness and agility and inside running ability combined with his receiving ability make him a matchup problem for defenses.  I really like the offense he plays in as well.   24 years old...  Pretty good dynasty asset. 

I know he had a bad week 13, but week 14, wow.

He dropped to me in the draft, and the way the season has broke, he has been a very solid pick.

Hinted at up thread here, but is anyone starting both Freeman and Coleman down the stretch?  Atlanta's schedule isn't awesome for RBs, but it's not terrible... between the two, I would think you're looking at 30-35 touches a week, including 5+ receptions, strong yardage, and a good bet at a TD.
Started them both this past week and benched Ware.  Very happy with the result.  Pretty sure I am starting them both this week as well.

Users who are viewing this thread