Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
zed2283

Devonta Freeman, RB (ATL)

Half his talent went away when Shanahan went to SF. Now it's all but gone. 

• Like 1

Devonta Freeman - RB -  Falcons

The Falcons expect Devonta Freeman (foot) to remain sidelined for Week 7.

The quick rule out suggests Freeman is not close to returning. It's officially a lost season for the 26-year-old back, who just signed a lucrative extension in August 2017. Tevin Coleman has been ineffective in Freeman's absence, but his workload keeps him in the RB2 mix. Perhaps Ito Smith will see more Week 7 run, though he also struggled against the Bucs.

Source: Kelsey Conway on Twitter 

Oct 15 - 3:26 PM

Uh, Freeman is going to be tough to move. This is truly running back starvation at this point, though I stay away from Freeman and would rather go with Coleman, despite Roto's always-trenchant analysis.  Smith just went like 13 for 30 the other day. 

Coleman needs to stay healthy for Atlanta to have any shot at success.  

Not sure I'll get anything for him now. Might just be a clean drop and let someone else manage the headache.

He becomes a hell of a buy low if you're a team that's up and able to sit on him.  I would imagine most owners are at the point of giving him away, cutting him in espn/yahoo public leagues.

Coleman has been unimpressive.  Hopefully Ito keeps getting more and more touches.

5 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Ito Smith up

I hope 

I wonder if he's been dealing with some of these injuries all season and that's why he looked so much different than in the past.  I won't be suprised to learn that he's had the foot injury all year and tried to play through it.  

Not sure how he injured the foot while sitting out of practice because of the knee... 

I had Freeman that one year he broke out and took me deep into the fantasy playoffs.  Thanks for the memories and hoping he has a successful recovery.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Coleman's been lackluster.  Smith keeps scoring.

Smith has been even worse than Coleman

1 minute ago, Brycestrahorn said:

HAs Ito performed that well outside of the TDs

Not at all.

I wasn't meaning to say Ito has set the world on fire and will take over the job.  Rather, Coleman has had the chance to stake his claim as THE guy.  He hasn't.  Smith actually out-touched him last week.  He was iffy in more shallow leagues because Freeman's return was looming.  Now, he's in line for 10+ touches a week going forward in a good offense.  You can definitely do worse at Flex.

Just now, GoBirds said:

It says he may return, anyone know what earliest date would be?

I think he has to sit out 8 games, so if it starts today most likely return is Week 15 or 16?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm192 said:

Not at all.

I wasn't meaning to say Ito has set the world on fire and will take over the job.  Rather, Coleman has had the chance to stake his claim as THE guy.  He hasn't.  Smith actually out-touched him last week.  He was iffy in more shallow leagues because Freeman's return was looming.  Now, he's in line for 10+ touches a week going forward in a good offense.  You can definitely do worse at Flex.

Ito Smith has been terrible. His YPC and eye tests are miserable right now. That may turn around, but that doesn't mean he has been good. At all. 

Coleman is the better back right now. And I have little stake in the matter other than a fun league.  

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Judge Ito presiding. 

Oh, that'll work out well. Is he wearing those gloves?  

Just now, rockaction said:

Oh, that'll work out well. Is he wearing those gloves?  

Not sure but I know the ruling is always touchdown. 

• Love 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Not sure but I know the ruling is always touchdown. 

?Like the pass Coleman caught the other day?

Coleman is in danger of being debarred.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

You know we're meeting in the semis or something like it, don't you?  

Supaflex!  

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Tweece? I know it's disbarred.   

Edited by rockaction
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Tweece? I know it's disbarred.  And bar is an acronym, anyway. Only a few people know how to write it.  

He’s not an actual lawyer. He’s just going to get banned. 

Just now, Ilov80s said:

He’s not an actual lawyer. He’s just going to get banned. 

It's not an acronym, actually. Guess that's a myth. But he's about to run all over the opposition instead of Smith and his sub 3.0 YPC. 

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

It's not an acronym, actually. Guess that's a myth. But he's about to run all over the opposition instead of Smith and his sub 3.0 YPC. 

Ito has such a low ypc because he has to stop running when he crosses the end zone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Ito has such a low ypc because he has to stop running when he crosses the end zone.

?

The new emojis leave something to be desired. I liked your comment.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Thanks 1

He has to be a drop right? No way you roll the dice first week back in playoffs?

How much would Coleman owners bid for Ito?

omg dynasty league my rbs are Freeman, Ajayi, McKinnon, and Henry. And no IR spots.

Carry on.

Edited by cloppbeast

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Devonta Freeman is a "full go" for training camp.

"We can’t wait to get Free back," Quinn said. "He’s having such an awesome offseason. When you get to see the team out here this spring, I think you’ll feel the energy at running back certainly with Free leading the way." Freeman suffered knee, groin, and foot injuries in what ultimately resulted in a lost two-game campaign for the 27-year-old last season. With Tevin Coleman gone to San Francisco, the Falcons have the seventh-most carries (179, 50.9%) unaccounted for and available to soak up from last season's production, putting Freeman in an all-too-obvious bounce-back spot based on opportunity alone. He's an easy buy at his current mid-third round ADP in Best Ball leagues.

SOURCE: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter

May 11, 2019, 5:02 PM ET

even though he's a violent runner, he's a steal right now. Ito Smith also has some value.

6 hours ago, pbandy1 said:

even though he's a violent runner, he's a steal right now. Ito Smith also has some value.

He is one hit away from another concussion.  Off my draft board but will consider i smith later in drafts.  

6 minutes ago, stlrams said:

He is one hit away from another concussion.  Off my draft board but will consider i smith later in drafts.  

Saquon Barkley is one hit away from a torn ACL. I'm considering taking him off my board too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cloppbeast said:

Saquon Barkley is one hit away from a torn ACL. I'm considering taking him off my board too.

Everyone knows players with multiple concussions are much more susceptible to another.  With his running style, I’m out.  So you plan to draft freeman and what round?.

4 hours ago, stlrams said:

Everyone knows players with multiple concussions are much more susceptible to another.  With his running style, I’m out.  So you plan to draft freeman and what round?.

I agree that concussions are risky as they become more and more likely to reoccur.  I do think it is interesting though how the concern/stigma sticks with some players and not others.

For instance Freeman has had the same number of concussions as Davante Adams, yet Adams is considered a top 10 asset and people rarely ever even mention the concussions as a risk.

I would be comfortable drafting Freeman as my RB2. Ecstatic as my RB3. I think the concussion issue can be mitigated by running style.  Great situation and not a lot of competition for touches.

7 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

I would be comfortable drafting Freeman as my RB2. Ecstatic as my RB3. I think the concussion issue can be mitigated by running style.  Great situation and not a lot of competition for touches.

He isn't all of the sudden going to change his running style. I used to have him & I'm staying far far away. 

Posted (edited)

Traded Fournette for him and a 2020 (likely early to mid) first round pick in my dynasty league.  Yes, probably a downgrade this year - but both of them have their risks.  If the pick ends up being top 5, I'll be very happy with the move. 

ETA - also have Gordon and Chubb  and Kerryon Johnson as my RBs, can start up to 3 with flex spots. 

Edited by matttyl
  • Like 1

I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.  His touches and yards have gone down the last 3 seasons.  Perhaps with Tevin out of the way, the touches sky rocket and we get a bounce back.  But trending down the last 3 years and then missing most of last year with an injury--It's not a ringing endorsement to me.  

He averaged 4.9 YPC last year, but only got 14 rushes in 2 games.  Perhaps that's a function of the defense being beat up.  Depending on where he's going, I may come back around.  Here now today, I can't see it.

2 hours ago, irish eyes said:

He isn't all of the sudden going to change his running style. I used to have him & I'm staying far far away. 

Not trying to talk you on to the Freeman train but I think you mischaracterizing his situation. This isn't a "sudden" thing. I am making an assumption that doctors and coaches have given him the harsh reality: change your style of running or you may not see the end of your contract. I suspect that is very good motivation to make changes. I think the fact that the Falcons didn't sign any big name RBs or spend high draft capital on the position is an endorsement for Freeman. Definitely some risk but well worth the upside.