What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (2 Viewers)

Freeman projected at 32 and 17 rb taken off the board.  Meaning you need to invest 3rd pick to get a lead rb on a good offense that has 3 confirmed concussions and a myriad of other injuries.  The only way People could justify the pick is taking i smith too thereby locking up the position should freemen go down.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be under thinking it or letting my bias cloud my vision, this doesn't really require a huge change in running style. Don't lead with your head, get of bounds to avoid contact. He should be very motivate to make such changes given his history and how much money is on the line. 
I understand the thought process and would hope that he would be motivated to make changes as well. All I'm saying is even something as small as not leading with your head will take time because he's probably been doing it for so long.

Opportunity is there.  I just don't have a high trust factor.  First 4-5 rounds is all about trust to deliver at a high level for me.  He doesn't check that box.  

Devonta Freeman (groin) is participating during OTAs.

It is not a surprise considering coach Dan Quinn said Freeman would be a full-go for camp, but it is still a good sign after Freeman suffered through knee, groin, and foot injuries last year. With Tevin Coleman gone, Freeman projects to take over as the clear lead back in one of the best offenses in the league. He could bounce back in a big way in fantasy.

SOURCE: Kelsey Conway on Twitter

May 23, 2019, 12:41 PM ET

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23

Devonta Freeman continues to look like his old self. Has a true bounce to his step. Real burst catching screen passes

12:50 PM - May 30, 2019 · Georgia, USA

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Devonta Freeman has looked like "himself" this offseason.

Freeman barely saw the field while battling a groin injury last year but hasn't shown any ill effects this offseason, impressing throughout OTAs. Quinn was complementary of Freeman's resilience throughout his rehab, making note of his "mental toughness." "He was another one who had so much to prove and to get back out on the field and to recapture his energy and style so quickly," said the Falcons coach. "I was very happy to see that." Freeman faces durability concerns coming off his injury-spoiled 2018, but he should be an asset in the fantasy realm if healthy.

SOURCE: atlantafalcons.com

Jun 21, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

- Unquestioned starter ✅

- Every-down RB ✅

- Confidence of coaching staff (as evidenced by Tevin's departure and no high draft pick) ✅

- Good QB, WR's, and TE ✅

Devonta's current ADP of RB16/34 overall  makes him a late 3rd/early 4th pick.  The only way he doesn't return full value is if he misses time.  I will be monitoring him throughout the preseason, and if he doesn't reinjure himself, I will be targeting him.  Ito Smith is not a competitor for touches; he will get his touches to keep Devonta rested.  Buyer beware of course, but as of now, I will say 210/924, 45/365, and 10 TD's is a decent ceiling.  His floor is solely based on his health.

- Unquestioned starter ✅

- Every-down RB ✅

- Confidence of coaching staff (as evidenced by Tevin's departure and no high draft pick) ✅

Devonta's current ADP of RB16/34 overall  makes him a late 3rd/early 4th pick.  The only way he doesn't return full value is if he misses time.  I will be monitoring him throughout the preseason, and if he doesn't reinjure himself, I will be targeting him.  Ito Smith is not a competitor for touches; he will get his touches to keep Devonta rested.  Buyer beware of course, but as of now, I will say 210/924, 45/365, and 10 TD's is a decent ceiling.  His floor is solely based on his health.
I agree.  A healthy Devonta is very underrated.  

- Unquestioned starter ✅

- Every-down RB ✅

Thanks for saying this. I thought I was missing something.

- Unquestioned starter ✅

- Every-down RB ✅

Better use 7th or 8th pick to get ito.  Multiple concussions and other injuries has me scared..

I'm not sure I'm using a pick that early on a guy like Ito Smith. At this moment in time, I'm probably looking at other solutions in the event of a DFree injury. From what I saw out of Ito last Season, I don't think we're getting anywhere close to DFree production from him if he's forced into action due to injury. He did OK in tandem with Tevin Coleman, but he didn't show me he's complete enough to shoulder a premium load...just seemed to profile as a journeyman, rather than a special player who could rise to the occasion. I've heard talk that the Rookie (Qadree Ollison) may have more upside in that case, and rather than spending some prime draft capital on Ito, Ollison can be had very, very late, or more likely, as a priority waiver add if necessary when churning the bottom of one's Roster. Just my .02...

ETA: I love, love, love me some healthy DFree at his current ADP, but sadly, his is a 'buyer beware' situation. I love this kid when he's healthy, and I sure hope he proves durable enough to handle a season-long load. 16 games at that price...he could be a true difference maker.

I'm not sure I'm using a pick that early on a guy like Ito Smith. At this moment in time, I'm probably looking at other solutions in the event of a DFree injury. From what I saw out of Ito last Season, I don't think we're getting anywhere close to DFree production from him if he's forced into action due to injury. He did OK in tandem with Tevin Coleman, but he didn't show me he's complete enough to shoulder a premium load...just seemed to profile as a journeyman, rather than a special player who could rise to the occasion. I've heard talk that the Rookie (Qadree Ollison) may have more upside in that case, and rather than spending some prime draft capital on Ito, Ollison can be had very, very late, or more likely, as a priority waiver add.
All this is true.

Ito Smith might not even be average. I dont know what people saw out of him to want to draft him before their kicker. I much prefer Qadree Ollison. Even though he is one dimensional, at least there is reason to believe he might be good at it. It's not far fetched for him to earn some committee work if the Falcons want to give Freeman a break like they usually do.

Better use 7th or 8th pick to get ito.  Multiple concussions and other injuries has me scared..
Ito's ADP sits around round 10 (RB44), but I would pass on him at that price.  Normally, cuffing an injury risk RB is a good idea, but I think you are looking at a committee if Devonta goes down.  I would much rather have Peyton Barber (RB43).  He may not be a stud, but he is the best TB's got, and he did a decent job in pass protection.

His role took a drop when Shanahan left. I wouldn't plan on that two/three years ago production coming back any time soon.
I'd agree with this, I think too often player threads are sometimes too overwhelmingly positive. Freeman is as unlikely to stay healthy as any RB in the league. He could have a good season for sure, but I think where he is currently being drafted is pretty fair. I worry that he's most likely to be kind of like Matt Brieda was last year, where he's good, and effective, but always coming out with various injuries, and hard to trust. He's a low-end RB2 to me, because I just can't trust him to be healthy, and he doesn't have the ceiling that other injury risk RB's(Gurley for instance) have.

Much improved O-line, at least on paper, with a rock solid supporting cast, no TC taking carries away, he's only 27 years old.

injuries matter, but I'd take him in a NY minute over Fournette and Gurley.

Much improved O-line, at least on paper, with a rock solid supporting cast, no TC taking carries away, he's only 27 years old.

Over balky ankle Fournette, I would agree, but I would still take Gurley's ceiling over him.

I'd agree with this, I think too often player threads are sometimes too overwhelmingly positive. Freeman is as unlikely to stay healthy as any RB in the league. He could have a good season for sure, but I think where he is currently being drafted is pretty fair. I worry that he's most likely to be kind of like Matt Brieda was last year, where he's good, and effective, but always coming out with various injuries, and hard to trust. He's a low-end RB2 to me, because I just can't trust him to be healthy, and he doesn't have the ceiling that other injury risk RB's(Gurley for instance) have.
Each year there are players I target that have comeback potential.  Maybe it's from injury, or a bad previous season, or that guy that just never really broke out yet.  Last year, for example, I hung my hat on Jordan Reed.  Alex "the TE whisperer" Smith was supposed to catapult him back to being a top 5 TE.  Boy, was I wrong on that one.

This year, it's Devonta for me.  With the backfield to himself, I think he can near 300 touches, 1500 total, and double digit TD's.  His current ADP puts him as a late 3rd/early 4th pick, and I will surely roll the dice on him.  Is he an injury risk, moreso than the average guy?  Sure, but hey, you can't argue that he will return great value IF he can stay healthy.

This very offseason I traded Fournette for Freeman and a 2020 1st.  Pretty happy with that move. 

Completely agree. Freeman is a guy I wouldn't touch in dynasty. In redraft I get it (I suppose), but he's got maybe 1-2 good years left at best, and it's more likely he spends a decent chunk of that on the trainer's table. There are plenty of guys around his ADP who I'd rather have. 

Completely agree. Freeman is a guy I wouldn't touch in dynasty. In redraft I get it (I suppose), but he's got maybe 1-2 good years left at best, and it's more likely he spends a decent chunk of that on the trainer's table. There are plenty of guys around his ADP who I'd rather have. 
In a win now situation needing a rb, with a late 1st you cant get any better than Freeman.

Let's be honest, right now he is a steal. If he remains healthy through preseason, he will no longer be a steal. 

He will creep up probably near where he should be. The value will be gone.

FBG (Subscribers): Pick-a-Player: Devonta Freeman, Aaron Jones, or Marlon Mack: Footballguys staff and Facebook answer a dilemma at the 3.06 spot

Freeman got the most votes. I'd give Jones the edge over him among those RBs, but really I'd go WR there (Diggs, Green, or Edelman).

The big concern with Freeman is that he might be in decline. He missed most of last year with multiple injuries, and he wasn't that great when he was on the field (though it's a small sample size). And I have a rule of thumb to not be confident in RBs bouncing back after a down year.

Second concern is RB committee. The Falcons' limited Coleman's workload last year, giving Ito Smith a bunch of work, and they might do something similar this year with Freeman. Before that, Freeman's share of the Freeman-Coleman backfield shrunk each year, from a dominant share in 2015 to a 1a-1b thing in 2017. Part of that was Coleman earning the snaps, but it's not clear that he'll jump back to a large workload ahead of Ito Smith. For PPR, it seems concerning that his receptions fell more than his carries (especially since Smith is more of a receiving back).

Let's be honest, right now he is a steal. If he remains healthy through preseason, he will no longer be a steal. 

He will creep up probably near where he should be. The value will be gone.
The only questions are can he stay healthy and does he still have juice left. Coming into the league he was at the low end for bursty, agility, speed. So if the wear and tear has drained him, he might find himself unable to make those electric cuts that he used and become very ineffective. But if he still has that juice, you are looking at a 1200/8 with a ceiling for 1400/12. That is a high powered offense that has tried hard to improve the o-line.  

The only questions are can he stay healthy and does he still have juice left. Coming into the league he was at the low end for bursty, agility, speed. So if the wear and tear has drained him, he might find himself unable to make those electric cuts that he used and become very ineffective. But if he still has that juice, you are looking at a 1200/8 with a ceiling for 1400/12. That is a high powered offense that has tried hard to improve the o-line.  
It's not unheard of for a running back to decline at 27 or 28, or however old he is. But it's rare. Most of the time youd still consider him at the back end of his prime.

It's not unheard of for a running back to decline at 27 or 28, or however old he is. But it's rare. Most of the time youd still consider him at the back end of his prime.
I agree but if I created a profile for the type of RB who would have an earlier decline, it would be Freeman.

Ray Rice part 2? Minus the obvious.
Maybe. He’s small, tested very poorly as a healthy 22 year old. He’s likely only slower and less explosive now. He was never a highly thought of prospect and it’s a surprise he was ever an RB1 in the first place. There’s a good chance that if he’s not operating at 100%, he’s not going be able to cut it in the NFL.

Maybe. He’s small, tested very poorly as a healthy 22 year old. He’s likely only slower and less explosive now. He was never a highly thought of prospect and it’s a surprise he was ever an RB1 in the first place. There’s a good chance that if he’s not operating at 100%, he’s not going be able to cut it in the NFL.
Other than injuries, man I'm just inclined to say your body doesnt deteriate or slow down much from 22 to 27. Unless you get fat or contract malaria.

This very offseason I traded Fournette for Freeman and a 2020 1st.  Pretty happy with that move. 
That seems about right. I still have Fournette quite a bit over Freeman at this point. Even in Freeman's prime years he was always propped up by the big TD numbers. I just don't see those returning  for a smallish back in a non Shanahan system.

Other than injuries, man I'm just inclined to say your body doesnt deteriate or slow down much from 22 to 27. Unless you get fat or contract malaria.
1000 NFL touches could. However, I mostly agree with you and think he’s safe to draft. However, I do see a scenario where he just isn’t as effective as he used to be. 

That seems about right. I still have Fournette quite a bit over Freeman at this point. Even in Freeman's prime years he was always propped up by the big TD numbers. I just don't see those returning  for a smallish back in a non Shanahan system.
Well that and the huge number of receptions.  The guy would just get yards. 

Not that rare. Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, Marion Barber, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, CJ Spiller, Rashard Mendenhall, Doug Martin, Alfred Morris. Some of those guys don't have that great a reputation compared to how we think of Freeman, but part of that is because of how little they did at age 27+ (and they were more highly thought of at age 25 or whatever).

Not that rare. Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, Marion Barber, Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, CJ Spiller, Rashard Mendenhall, Doug Martin, Alfred Morris. Some of those guys don't have that great a reputation compared to how we think of Freeman, but part of that is because of how little they did at age 27+ (and they were more highly thought of at age 25 or whatever).
There are also guys like Emmitt Smith who continued to be good runners at 27+, but not on the same level that they were when younger. Emmitt had 5 straight seasons with 1820+ YFS at ages 22-26, and never came within 300 yards of that at ages 27+. Freeman has less talent to spare, so if he has taken a step down then he's not going to be worth a 3rd round fantasy pick.

2,024(16)     2,463(16)     2,811(24)     2,198(16)

....number of total rushing yards for team, plus receiving yards for backs...followed by total TDs from RBs the last 4 years for the Falcons.  Just giving him 60% of those totals, on average, we're talking about 1,425 total yards and 11 total TDs.  Maybe wishful thinking, but I think he's a great add in the third round as a RB2. 

2,024(16)     2,463(16)     2,811(24)     2,198(16)

....number of total rushing yards for team, plus receiving yards for backs...followed by total TDs from RBs the last 4 years for the Falcons.  Just giving him 60% of those totals, on average, we're talking about 1,425 total yards and 11 total TDs.  Maybe wishful thinking, but I think he's a great add in the third round as a RB2. 
His ADP is pretty similar to last year.  With Coleman gone, he is more of a threat for the lion's share.  It's his injury history that puts a damper on his outlook.  IF he can stay healthy, the numbers are there to be had.

As someone who follows the Falcons closely...couple of things:

1) Quinn felt like Freeman was ‘back’ during OTA’s...obviously could be fluff here, but I think the Falcons see him as one of the best 5 RB’s in the NFL when he’s healthy.

2)  In terms of coming off an injury...this off-season is actually cleaner than last one.  Last off-season, he suffered his PCL injury late in the season and tried to play thru it...which compromised his prep for 2018.  He almost was able to come back late last season, but didn’t get healthy enough to do it.  But I think his preparation for this season included a lot less rehab.

3) I wouldn’t discount Ito Smith.  I thought he showed well as a rookie and I don’t think the Falcons will be hesitant to give him 10 touches/game or goal line carries.

4) Sark struggled with using Freeman/Coleman in 2017.  Whole run game and RB usage was off-kilter...I feel Koetter will be more confident in his rotation and plan.

Ultimately, the opportunity is there for Freeman to return to RB1 status, but the Falcons will be more mindful of his workload.

As someone who follows the Falcons closely...couple of things:

1) Quinn felt like Freeman was ‘back’ during OTA’s...obviously could be fluff here, but I think the Falcons see him as one of the best 5 RB’s in the NFL when he’s healthy.

2)  In terms of coming off an injury...this off-season is actually cleaner than last one.  Last off-season, he suffered his PCL injury late in the season and tried to play thru it...which compromised his prep for 2018.  He almost was able to come back late last season, but didn’t get healthy enough to do it.  But I think his preparation for this season included a lot less rehab.

3) I wouldn’t discount Ito Smith.  I thought he showed well as a rookie and I don’t think the Falcons will be hesitant to give him 10 touches/game or goal line carries.

4) Sark struggled with using Freeman/Coleman in 2017.  Whole run game and RB usage was off-kilter...I feel Koetter will be more confident in his rotation and plan.

Ultimately, the opportunity is there for Freeman to return to RB1 status, but the Falcons will be more mindful of his workload.
Always nice to hear from you TDW happy independence day!!

As far as point two, PCL injuries depending on the severity is an injury that is difficult to recover from. Is Freeman really out of the woods on this now?

I am not sure if the coaching is an improvement or not. The Bucs haven't been running the ball very well with Koettler, is this really an improvement?

Always nice to hear from you TDW happy independence day!!

As far as point two, PCL injuries depending on the severity is an injury that is difficult to recover from. Is Freeman really out of the woods on this now?

I am not sure if the coaching is an improvement or not. The Bucs haven't been running the ball very well with Koettler, is this really an improvement?
Dr. Chao weighed in on Freeman specifically when he was coming back last year.  And it’s a fair concern insofar as he didn’t last long before re-injury in 2018.  I have to think that 20+ months vs 8 works to Freeman’s advantage.

...a lot of folks are pointing to Koetter as an issue for the Falcons run game.  But Quinn’s been pretty salty about getting this part of the offense back on track and when Koetter had the horses in 2015...TB ran the ball very effectively (and often).  I have to think the talent Koetter had was the biggest issue there.

I'm putting Freeman in the same grouping as Derrick Henry.  As much as I want to pick them, they could really dictate your season very early.  Would rather have some more consistency where they are being drafted.

I'm putting Freeman in the same grouping as Derrick Henry.  As much as I want to pick them, they could really dictate your season very early.  Would rather have some more consistency where they are being drafted.
For now, I've got him in that next tier.  

In my dynasty where my RBs are mediocre or in decline (Shady and Miller) I traded for Freeman and Ingram. Hoping for a good short term return from those two guys.

Interesting guy this year. End of 3rd seems like good value, and could create a nice foundation for those that go WR/WR 1/2. 

Users who are viewing this thread