What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (2 Viewers)

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Devonta Freeman has had an "outstanding offseason."

The common denominator with the glowing offseason reports surrounding Freeman is his health. After battling injuries in 2018, Freeman has enjoyed a fully healthy offseason and has impressed the coaching staff with his strength and "more violent" cuts. Add in the loss of Tevin Coleman and the upgrades across the Falcons offensive line and you have the right ingredients for a bounce-back season. Freeman is currently being drafted just outside the first 30 picks.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 12, 2019, 6:55 PM ET

So who takes over if Freeman goes down?  Smith or Hill?
Ito Smith

Falcons RB Brian Hill is listed No. 4 on the team's unofficial depth chart.

In reality, Hill is probably really No. 3, as special teamer Kenjon Barner is currently listed third. Either way, it's further confirmation that Hill did not unseat Ito Smith behind Devonta Freeman. Buried even further at No. 5 is fifth-rounder Qadree Ollison.

Sep 3, 2019, 5:24 PM ET
In the circumstance where Freeman is injured and misses games I would expect more of a time share between Smith and Hill than there will be with Freeman healthy.

Ito Smith

In the circumstance where Freeman is injured and misses games I would expect more of a time share between Smith and Hill than there will be with Freeman healthy.
Thanks.  I hear a lot of people talking up Hill in the last month, but all of the concrete evidence points to Smith.  

I agree that if Freeman goes down, Smith's share of carries will be lower than Freeman's by a significant amt. 

Devonta Freeman rushed 8 times for 19 yards in the Falcons’ Week 1 loss against the Vikings.

Freeman never had much of a chance to get going against the Falcons’ fearsome front seven. The more troubling news was that he worked in a timeshare, playing 27 snaps compared to 25 for Ito Smith. Atlanta’s overall struggle to control the line of scrimmage could potentially be a sign of things to come for this run game, particularly in a tough Week 2 draw against the Eagles’ loaded defensive line. Freeman should best be approached as a mid-tier RB2 moving forward.
I think the timeshare was more due to Atlanta playing terribly and Ryan never getting going, but Ito's workload is a concern. It should be noted in the 2nd half they were mixing in constantly... Ito got a play or two, then Freeman got a few, and vice versa.

update to my last post:
Hard for me to see this solely as a positive.  Is the implication that they were behind so much that they gave up and put in Ito?

Maybe. 

Or, Freemans performance was bad and they wanted to see if Ito could provide a spark.

Will see how it plays out.

Hard for me to see this solely as a positive.  Is the implication that they were behind so much that they gave up and put in Ito?

Maybe. 

Or, Freemans performance was bad and they wanted to see if Ito could provide a spark.

Will see how it plays out.
I think if it's a non-blowout you see more Freeman. It should be noted the bulk of Ito's actual runs seemed to come in the 2nd half, but Freeman and Smith shared drives the whole half. They were trying to get back and find some combo of plays/protections that would help. In a typical situation with Atlanta ahead I dunno if Ito gets that type of run and clock-killing duties.

The Frankman said:
I think if it's a non-blowout you see more Freeman.
And just as much running in quicksand. Holy heck, that looked really bad. Maybe MN's defense deserves credit, but he went nowhere. That was worse than Sony.  

The Frankman said:
I think if it's a non-blowout you see more Freeman. It should be noted the bulk of Ito's actual runs seemed to come in the 2nd half, but Freeman and Smith shared drives the whole half. They were trying to get back and find some combo of plays/protections that would help. In a typical situation with Atlanta ahead I dunno if Ito gets that type of run and clock-killing duties.
This was my observation as well.

Surprisingly they asked Ito Smith to block a lot. The protection was such that they were just trying to find a way to get enough time for Ryan to make a play.

Being down by that much already, they had pretty much given up on the run by then.

The Vikings stopped pressuring as much and laid back in a zone. That's when most of their offensive success happened 

Devonta Freeman had 11 carries for 22 yards in the Falcons' Week 2 win over the Eagles.

Freeman was shut down in the run game, but he salvaged his night with three catches for 42 yards. There should be better days ahead for Freeman, who was held to 19 yards in the opener. Freeman has been losing significant snaps to Ito Smith through the first two games but remains the clear lead back. He gets a matchup with the Colts in Week 3.

Sep 15, 2019, 11:58 PM ET

Pretty disappointed after trading for him in the off-season. Thought he might make a big comeback as he's still pretty young, has done it before, and Coleman being gone. Hopefully he gets it going a bit.

Pretty disappointed after trading for him in the off-season. Thought he might make a big comeback as he's still pretty young, has done it before, and Coleman being gone. Hopefully he gets it going a bit.
I've never been sold on him, but at least he was productive. Injuries have sapped him, unfortunately. He helped me win a title once from the third round at RB2 the year I drafted AP and went RB-RB-RB-RB off the bat. I wish him well and hope he turns it around. 

I've always been a fan but the dude looks done.  Ito Smith looks like a noticeable upgrade in there and he is not particularly good either.

Would love to see his splits between getting 15+ carries and getting less than 15. I feel like he's one of those dudes that needs to get into a rhythm to be effective, similar to Derrick Henry for example(I haven't looked at his splits either, but I'm guessing he gets stronger as he gets more carries as well). 

Either that or the injuries have ruined him. I've never been super high on him as a talent, but he was a solid NFL starter and is still relatively young so this state is pretty surprising. I'm tempted to buy low on him.

Would love to see his splits between getting 15+ carries and getting less than 15. I feel like he's one of those dudes that needs to get into a rhythm to be effective, similar to Derrick Henry for example(I haven't looked at his splits either, but I'm guessing he gets stronger as he gets more carries as well). 

Either that or the injuries have ruined him. I've never been super high on him as a talent, but he was a solid NFL starter and is still relatively young so this state is pretty surprising. I'm tempted to buy low on him.
I looked into this once and as best I can tell it's just a useless cliche.  My research was by no means comprehensive but I looked up a handful of the guys I could think of that people would say "got stronger as the game went on" and every one I looked up had a LOWER ypc in the 4th quarter, LOWER ypc on carries 20+, etc.  Adrian Peterson, Emmitt Smith, Derrick Henry, etc.

Logically, I can see a defense getting tired against a split backfield and the RBs being fresher at the end of the game, but outside of the cliche it makes no sense that a RB would get stronger as he gets more tired, nor that he would "wear down" a defense of 11 guys all by his lonesome.

Regarding the 2nd paragraph, honestly I think that's what it is.  The Devonta Freeman in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago was explosive and dynamic.  This guy looks nothing like that.  As I mentioned above, It's "explosiveness" looks refreshing when he comes into the game comparatively, and I don't think he's actually very explosive at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big problem was Eagles literally selling out every time he was in the game. In the game thread I was screaming for play action off Freeman because the Eagles seemed to only sell out when he was in the game (weren't doing it for Ito probably since he's a better pass-catcher). They actually started doing it the 2nd half as well as passing to Freeman to get the Eagles out of that look. From watching him in the passing game he still has the juice, he just needs some rhythm and help from the line. He's definitely not the Freeman from 2017, but he still can be productive; he's still the lead back + goal line back and once they face easier competition I think he will have better days.

I have zero shares across 13 leagues.  I didn’t hate him but didn’t like him enough for adp.

This is my favorite tome of the year, early season buy low sell high.  

I’m not touching Freeman.

Big Freeman fan or let's say that the RB position for Atlanta in general should be a pretty explosive position because how can defenses key in on Freeman? 

2015-1634/14 TD

2016-1541/13 TD

2017-1,182/8TD...missed two games or this might have been 3 seasons double digit TDs. 

2018-Injury cost him almost entire season...

2019-Not a good start and I do partly blame the OL. 

Last night he was off to a decent start on the first drive and then he was off the field after 3 runs...Then Freeman would get stuffed badly on his next couple runs being tackled 4-5 yards behind the LOS. Then it was one drive Freeman, one drive Smith...Ito was not blazing a trail until he broke free in the 2nd half. There was never a moment where I felt the Falcons were better off handing it to Smith...that has not happened in either game I've watched where I felt like Freeman needed to be replaced. I also think Freeman is a weapon in the passing game. He avg 8 ypc over his career and had 73 in 2015...but now they have other weapons and they don't utilize Freeman as often in the short passing game which is a big mistake in my book. 

Atlanta was having success underneath with Hooper and Freeman early on but went away from that in favor of JJ and WRs which is understandable however on like 6 targets to JJ early only yielded 1 catch and that's why they were locked up 3-3 until about midway into the 2nd if I recall last night. 

It's easy to look at box scores and say this guy is better than this guy but never did I watch Smith last night and think changing of the guard. Next few weeks they have road games @Indy, TEN, @Hou, @AZ...outside of Houston, those others are not thought of as strong playoff teams with deep run aspirations. I am concerned if the Falcons are committed to the run when they have JJ, Ridley and Sanu, the challenge is they need to balance with the run to sustain drives. And Matt Ryan made two poor decisions last night, each of them lead directly to Philly TDs, that's not a recipe for success. 

I think Freeman is a buy low, he's a leader on the team and in no way is being relegated to spot duty any time soon. It would be nice if he would establish himself though with a solid ground performance. 

He scored more points than CMC this week. 

Just keeping it in perspective.  They've had two very tough games starting out the season.  Green Bay did run all over Minnesota though... 

Devonta Freeman rushed 16 times for 88 yards in the Falcons' Week 3 loss to the Colts.

He added three catches for seven yards. Freeman had two runs of 20-plus yards in this one but obviously didn't do a whole lot else with his other carries, grinding out small gains. Freeman has yet to find the end zone this season but has seen his carry counts rise each week from 8 > 11 > 16 and will remain an RB2 next week at home against a stiff Titans defense.

Sep 22, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

Non existent in the passing game and his OL doesn't open enough holes for him to get a chance to make it into the second level often enough. 

In non PPR he only had about 8-9 points and in PPR he scraped up 10 basically. I didn't get excited and he has nobody pushing for touches now. 

I don't know that he is "Done", don't think anyone here can honestly feel qualified to make that statement, if Atlanta thought this guy was toast, I think they would have moved in another direction...they are paying the price for a below avg OL that also has sustained some injuries. 

Non existent in the passing game and his OL doesn't open enough holes for him to get a chance to make it into the second level often enough. 

In non PPR he only had about 8-9 points and in PPR he scraped up 10 basically. I didn't get excited and he has nobody pushing for touches now. 

I don't know that he is "Done", don't think anyone here can honestly feel qualified to make that statement, if Atlanta thought this guy was toast, I think they would have moved in another direction...they are paying the price for a below avg OL that also has sustained some injuries. 
He looked good yesterday even though the OL is really bad right now.  

weirdly enough, I actually feel better today after this weekend. Yeah, the stat line is not great but he did look good yesterday. I think it's a question of time until he gets involved once again on short "dump" passes and starts pilling up the points. He looked like he got most of his speed and agility back.....the O Line just plain sucks so I think leadership will find ways to get him the ball in different ways....in PPR, he might become really relevant really soon.....

weirdly enough, I actually feel better today after this weekend. Yeah, the stat line is not great but he did look good yesterday. I think it's a question of time until he gets involved once again on short "dump" passes and starts pilling up the points. He looked like he got most of his speed and agility back.....the O Line just plain sucks so I think leadership will find ways to get him the ball in different ways....in PPR, he might become really relevant really soon.....
It should be noted Matt Ryan has thrown 6 interceptions in 3 games, he threw 7 all of last year. 

He is throwing them when Atlanta gets inside enemy territory and that is killing Freeman getting chances to rip one to the house from say inside the 20 or 30 yd line. 

Devonta Freeman rushed 11 times for 30 yards in the Falcons' Week 5 loss to the Texans, adding five receptions for 40 additional yards and a touchdown.

Freeman and the entire Falcons run game continued to struggle to move the ball on the ground. Freeman managed to salvage his fantasy performance by making good use of his five targets, but Ito Smith (6-45-0 receiving) was also plenty involved on pass downs. Freeman and Smith are quietly deployed in a near-even committee, as Freeman only out-snapped Smith 41-to-33 Sunday. The good news is both RBs are set up brilliantly in Week 6 against the Cardinals.
Never pretty but he's getting it done on receptions.

still think I'm gonna try and sell high on him... team stinks, Quinn and Koetter stink, offensive line has no push, and Freeman just seems a tad bit slower.

Devonta Freeman rushed 19 times for 88 yards and had two receiving touchdowns in the Falcons' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals.

Freeman had more running lanes against the Cardinals' front seven than he's had all season, and it led to a new season-high in rushing yards. But Freeman's fantasy day was boosted by not one, but two receiving touchdowns on three targets. It was Freeman's first multi-receiving touchdown game of his career. It was obviously a fluky game. Despite all of this week's production, Freeman is still an RB2 for next week against the Rams. The Falcons' run game is way too inconsistent to get overly optimistic over Freeman's fantasy outlook.
... how is this fluky Rotoworld?? The Atlanta offense likes to pass to their RBs and two years ago him and Tevin Coleman were getting like 3-4 catches a game out of the backfield regularly. Is it his running yards? Sure the O-Line is bad but if there are holes, he's shown he has enough juice to break through them and get good yardage.

... how is this fluky Rotoworld?? The Atlanta offense likes to pass to their RBs and two years ago him and Tevin Coleman were getting like 3-4 catches a game out of the backfield regularly. Is it his running yards? Sure the O-Line is bad but if there are holes, he's shown he has enough juice to break through them and get good yardage.
I guess the double digit receiving TDs, but Freeman caught 77 passes a few years ago, he’s a darn good receiving back.

Freeman played 72% of the offensive snaps to Smith's 26% according to FootballOutsiders. So when Freeman is cooking they'll lean heavily on him, which kinds smashes the idea of a timeshare. If the line can play not terrible, Freeman can be a Top 15 back due to his receiving volume and the Tecmo Bowl O.

Devonta Freeman was ejected from the Falcons' Week 7 game against the Rams in the third quarter for throwing a punch.

Steamed after an awful Matt Ryan interception on a botched screen, Freeman got tangled up with Aaron Donald. Donald was practically lifting Freeman off his feet like Darth Vader, and Freeman "threw a punch." It was a bit of a weak disqualification. Freeman was doing nothing before his dismissal, rushing seven times for 19 scoreless yards, "adding" two receptions for six yards. With Ito Smith (stinger) out, Brian Hill will finish the game as the Falcons' lone back. It's a "yikes"-type situation.
I just saw the play and this was the most BS ejection. I'll post the vid but ... yikes is right.

Users who are viewing this thread