What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (4 Viewers)

Devonta Freeman rushed 13 times for 39 yards and caught all eight of his targets for another 63 yards in the Falcons' Week 8 loss to the Seahawks.

Freeman and the rushing attack struggled as it has for the entire season, but Freeman was very involved in the passing game. Matt Schaub had 52 pass attempts with Atlanta trailing by multiple scores for most of the game, and Freeman was on the receiving end of a lot of dump-off passes. Through eight weeks, Freeman is on pace for 666 rushing yards with 70-544-6 as a receiver. He'll be an RB2 against the Saints after next week's bye. Freeman needs to start finding the end zone to reach a ceiling.
He also lost a "questionable" fumble where he was stretching for the goalline.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions and Falcons talked "at length" about a Devonta Freeman trade ahead of Tuesday's deadline.

It isn't anything more than an interesting nugget now, as RapSheet reports the Falcons ultimately decided they "just didn't want to trade" Freeman. He is signed through 2022 but has been a massive bust over the season's first half after missing most of last year to injury. Freeman will be 28 next year and could be subject to post-June 1 cut talk if he doesn't pick up his play over the final eight weeks. The Lions were in the market for a Kerryon Johnson replacement.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 10:25 AM ET

Can't imagine a worse schedule for a RB coming out of his bye with NO, Car, TB, NO, Car, SF, Jax, a lot of defenses that are very tough against the run.

But how do you all view his outlook in PPR given that he's almost more of a WR than a RB right now? Somewhat immune to the difficult schedule?

I am worried today, I've seen him ranked all over the place from 25 to as high as 10...anyone considering benching him for a better flex option?
He's not going to do much on the ground but he should get a ton of targets.  If it's PPR, it'd have to be a really good alternative for me to consider benching.

Tried to trade him all week and couldn't make a competent deal... rolling him out as my RB2 now in Standard, hoping he could get me 8 points.

Devonta Freeman (ankle) has been ruled out Sunday.

Freeman posted 10-38-0 rushing and 3-10-0 receiving lines prior to exiting before the third quarter due to an ankle injury. The Falcons will move forward with Brian Hill and Kenjon Barner at RB.
Really unfortunate, was looking like it'd be a big game for Freeman but got nicked up sometime before the half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devonta Freeman rushed 10 times for 38 yards in the Falcons' Week 10 win over the Saints, adding three receptions for 10 additional yards.

Freeman was running well prior to exiting the game due to a foot injury early in the third quarter. He consistently was able to burst through the first level of the defense, but ultimately didn’t have a touch go for longer than 12 yards. The good news (assuming health) is that Freeman has worked clearly as the No. 1 bell-cow back ahead of Brian Hill and Kenjon Barner when on the field without Ito Smith (neck, IR) involved.
That's the big thing, now we have to find out the extent of the injury.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Devonta Freeman (foot) "could" miss "about" two weeks with what is believed to be a foot sprain.

Very vague. But Rapsheet adds the issue affects Freeman's toe more than the actual foot. In his absence, and with Ito Smith (neck) already on I.R., the Falcons turned to Brian Hill for 20 carries in the upset win over the Saints, though he produced just 61 yards on those attempts. He's obviously worth adding off waiver wires. Rookie Qadree Ollison and special teamer Kenjon Barner are also on the roster.

Nov 11, 2019, 7:10 PM ET

Devonta Freeman (foot) is out for Week 11 against the Panthers.

Nursing a sprained foot suffered in last week's win at New Orleans, Freeman never saw the field at practice this week. With Ito Smith (neck) shelved as well, the Falcons will turn to Brian Hill as their workhorse Sunday in Carolina. Coming off a 71-yard, one-touchdown performance in Week 10, Hill's projected volume should afford him RB2 status against the Panthers.

RELATED: 

Brian Hill

SOURCE: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Nov 15, 2019, 12:56 PM ET

Coach Dan Quinn said RB Devonta Freeman (foot) is "trending in the right way."

Freeman is unlikely to practice Wednesday, but Quinn said the team's starting RB has a chance to suit up Thursday. The Falcons handed Brian Hill (60% snaps) a lead role with Freeman sidelined in Week 11, although both Kenjon Barner (22%) and Qadree Ollison (18%) saw a decent chunk of reps as well. Freeman should be treated as more of a RB3 in Week 12 if active against the Buccaneers' stingy run defense.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter.

Nov 18, 2019, 3:48 PM ET

I thought Devonta had good burst today despite the low output.  The Falcons have as good of skill position players as any offense in the NFL.  They are case in point of how a poor offensive line can drag down an entire offense.  The obvious solution would be to sign a couple of free agent offensive linemen this offseason but the Falcons are currently $700,000 above the 2020 salary cap.  With Matt Ryan and Julio Jones both entering the twilight of their careers, the Falcons would be prudent to consider trading them away and rebuilding.  They could net 3 or 4 first round picks if they traded both Ryan and Julio away.

I thought Devonta had good burst today despite the low output.  The Falcons have as good of skill position players as any offense in the NFL.  They are case in point of how a poor offensive line can drag down an entire offense.  The obvious solution would be to sign a couple of free agent offensive linemen this offseason but the Falcons are currently $700,000 above the 2020 salary cap.  With Matt Ryan and Julio Jones both entering the twilight of their careers, the Falcons would be prudent to consider trading them away and rebuilding.  They could net 3 or 4 first round picks if they traded both Ryan and Julio away.
Thought he looked fairly good too....but that line is OMG bad

Atlanta drafted 2 OL in the first round and the line looks worst.  I think it time for a regime change top to bottom and agree that trading Ryan makes sense for a total rebuild. Draft analysts predict there are 12 nfl Qb prospects coming out in the next 2 years. 

JJ I can see but I'm not sure what the recent comparables are for trading a 34 year old Ryan and netting first rounders back. Carson Palmer? He's very good but he's expensive and isn't going to be anyone's future.

Devonta Freeman rushed 17 times for 84 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 14 win over the Panthers.

The Panthers' bottom-ranked run defense showed up once again, which allowed Freeman to score his first rushing touchdown since 2017. It was a 13-yard run, the longest of the day. It's been a career-worst season in terms of efficiency for Freeman (3.5 YPC), but he remains involved as a runner and receiver -- Freeman had four grabs today. He'll need all the volume he can get in San Francisco next week. Treat Freeman as a volume-based RB2/3.
Note: He could have a bigger day but didn't play at all in the 4th, he wasn't hurt they just took him out to rest.

Devonta Freeman (knee) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Freeman is reportedly expected to play this week despite missing Wednesday's session. Fantasy players should still look elsewhere (if possible) given San Francisco's menacing front-seven that's bottled opposing running backs to the third-fewest fantasy points per game. He'll be ranked as a middling RB3 strictly for his usage and potential receiving-game fallout stemming from Calvin Ridley's (abdomen) absence.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 4:05 PM ET

Devonta Freeman (knee) returned to Falcons practice Thursday, getting in a "limited" session.

The assembled media was uncertain if Freeman practiced, but he did enough to earn a "limited" tag. It's probably still too early to guarantee he will suit up against the 49ers, though he is now trending in that direction. If Freeman does play, he will find himself on the RB2/3 borderline for the fantasy semifinals.

Dec 12, 2019, 4:04 PM ET

Devonta Freeman rushed 12 times for 39 yards in the Falcons' Week 15 win over the 49ers.

Freeman added two receptions for 16 yards as a receiver, but it was still a very quiet game from the veteran. Freeman wasn't able to anything against the 49ers top-shelf defensive line and lost a goal-line carry to Qadree Ollison to make matters worse. It's possible that Freeman's knee injury is slowing him down a little, but he gets a golden opportunity next week with the Jaguars' porous run defense coming to Atlanta. Freeman will be an RB2.

I would certainly be remiss if I did not give credit where credit was due. Devonta Freeman was a guy who certainly garnered a lot of hate considering most people drafted him in the 2nd-3rd round in redraft. But if you look at his Fantasy playoffs in Standard scoring... 15.4 FP vs. Carolina, a respectable 5.5 @ San Francisco (Flex), and currently blowing up vs. the Jaguars. He didn't look that great most of the year and had some injuries/unfortunate incidents, but if you played him he helped you where it counted the most.

Devonta Freeman rushed 13 times for 53 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' Week 16 win over the Jaguars, adding nine catches for 74 yards and an additional score.

Taking advantage of his best matchup of the year, Freeman posted a new season high in yards from scrimmage. The two-score effort was just his second of 2019, and came despite Qadree Ollison vulturing a touchdown late. 27-year-old Freeman simply doesn't have much life left in his legs, and he has a tough Week 17 matchup to close out the year in the Bucs' pass-funnel defense.
I really don't understand Rotoworld sometimes. Is he what he was pre-injury last year? No. Is he cooked? Not even close.

I really don't understand Rotoworld sometimes. Is he what he was pre-injury last year? No. Is he cooked? Not even close.
I've been guilty of watching Freeman and calling him slightly cooked, so it's not just Roto. Perhaps he just needed longer to rehab in order to get up to speed than originally thought.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Falcons are "weighing" moving on from Devonta Freeman.

Rapoport adds that decision is currently "up in the air." The Falcons can save $3.5 million in cap space by simply releasing the soon-to-be 28-year-old and starting over with Ito Smith, Brian Hill (an exclusive rights free agent), and a fresh draft pick or free agent signing in the offseason. Pegged for a bounce-back campaign, Freeman clearly lacked juice (albeit behind poor blocking) in rushing for 184/656/2 and a career-low 3.57 YPC in '19, perhaps making this decision an easier one for the organization. His absence would vacate 51 percent of the team's carries from last season.
This is moronic by Atlanta. You could've traded him to Detroit for a 4th round pick and now 3-4 months later you won't resign him? Absolutely mind-boggling, you have no shortage of RBs on the roster; they could've easily moved on from him at the deadline if they were so worried about him.

This is moronic by Atlanta. You could've traded him to Detroit for a 4th round pick and now 3-4 months later you won't resign him? Absolutely mind-boggling, you have no shortage of RBs on the roster; they could've easily moved on from him at the deadline if they were so worried about him.
I can only think maybe they thought that once he was healthy, he'd look more like his old self, and valued that more than a 4th, and then he failed that audition. Not saying that is good logic by Atlanta, but its all I can think of that at least makes some sense.

At this point, I think Freeman is really hanging on by a thread. He really only had 1 good year, and the Falcons(and fantasy owners) have been chasing it for years. At this point, I think his starting days are done, and I'm not sure he's likely to have a big market at all, especially if guys like Bell, Gurley, and Johnson hit the market, plus the FA RB's, plus the rookies. 

Likely has to settle for a backup job. 

At this point, I think his starting days are done, and I'm not sure he's likely to have a big market at all, especially if guys like Bell, Gurley, and Johnson hit the market, plus the FA RB's, plus the rookies. 

Likely has to settle for a backup job. 
It also wouldn't be shocking at all if M.Gordon were moving to new destinations as well. Freeman may be in a much lower tier fighting for scraps with J.McKinnon for a third down gig.

It's pretty funny that just 6 months ago there were many people arguing that Gordon should just get paid based on the contracts signed by Bell/Gurley/Johnson/Freeman. Every single one of those contracts look like complete disasters.

When D.Williams and R.Mostert are the two leading rushers for the SB teams I don't see RB's gaining leverage in contract negotiations. 

It also wouldn't be shocking at all if M.Gordon were moving to new destinations as well. Freeman may be in a much lower tier fighting for scraps with J.McKinnon for a third down gig.

It's pretty funny that just 6 months ago there were many people arguing that Gordon should just get paid based on the contracts signed by Bell/Gurley/Johnson/Freeman. Every single one of those contracts look like complete disasters.

When D.Williams and R.Mostert are the two leading rushers for the SB teams I don't see RB's gaining leverage in contract negotiations. 
Its also why Dallas was stupid to give into Zeke's demands, and the Titans will be wrong to pay Henry as well. There are 22 starting positions in  the NFL, and RB is arguably not among the 20 most important, especially when it involves guys who don't win in the receiving game. McCaffrey will be an interesting case when he comes up next offseason. 

Say what you will about the Chargers front office, but not paying Gordon was an excellent move, and I would argue his holdout helped them discover they had an even better RB in Ekeler. I'm really curious what would have happened if Zeke had held out into the season, and Dallas would have been stuck with Pollard starting. My guess is it would have made almost no difference, and Dallas would have still had the same record they did.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he "loves" Devonta Freeman but acknowledged the team's salary cap is not "unlimited."

"This has nothing to do with love," said Blank. "It has to do with building a roster. The salary cap is not unlimited. It seems like it’s unlimited, but it’s not." Blank and the Falcons are taking a diplomatic approach to Freeman's likely release, attributing it to the team's valid salary cap concerns—only the Vikings, Jaguars and Steelers have less cap space than Atlanta. But this is much more than a cost-cutting measure. A perennial Pro Bowler early in his career, Freeman has been a catastrophe in recent years, limping to an anemic 3.66 yards per carry while battling a plethora of injuries the past two seasons. Now a month shy of his 28th birthday, all signs point to Freeman playing elsewhere in 2020.
Absolutely should have dealt him, even if it was for a 6th-7th. Team has plenty of RBs who could slam into brick walls.

travdogg said:
Its also why Dallas was stupid to give into Zeke's demands, and the Titans will be wrong to pay Henry as well. There are 22 starting positions in  the NFL, and RB is arguably not among the 20 most important, especially when it involves guys who don't win in the receiving game. McCaffrey will be an interesting case when he comes up next offseason. 

Say what you will about the Chargers front office, but not paying Gordon was an excellent move, and I would argue his holdout helped them discover they had an even better RB in Ekeler. I'm really curious what would have happened if Zeke had held out into the season, and Dallas would have been stuck with Pollard starting. My guess is it would have made almost no difference, and Dallas would have still had the same record they did.
I agree. That Zeke contract is going to kill them, and his advanced metrics at RB aren't that sparkling. I say this as guy who has him in dynasty, too, so there's no real hatred going on. I'm just confused why they didn't try to go with Pollard. 

Falcons released RB Devonta Freeman.

Freeman had three years remaining on the six-year extension he signed in 2017. The Falcons are taking on $6 million in dead money to move on from him, but they get out of his $6.5 million salary this season. Freeman was limited to two games in 2018 and managed just 3.6 YPC in the 14 games he was healthy for last year. It's an easy decision to cut ties with him and reset at running back. 28-year-old Freeman won't struggle to resurface, but he's likely going to have to settle for a committee role.

Mar 16, 2020, 10:01 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread