Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
zed2283

Devonta Freeman, RB (ATL)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

It also wouldn't be shocking at all if M.Gordon were moving to new destinations as well. Freeman may be in a much lower tier fighting for scraps with J.McKinnon for a third down gig.

It's pretty funny that just 6 months ago there were many people arguing that Gordon should just get paid based on the contracts signed by Bell/Gurley/Johnson/Freeman. Every single one of those contracts look like complete disasters.

When D.Williams and R.Mostert are the two leading rushers for the SB teams I don't see RB's gaining leverage in contract negotiations. 

Its also why Dallas was stupid to give into Zeke's demands, and the Titans will be wrong to pay Henry as well. There are 22 starting positions in  the NFL, and RB is arguably not among the 20 most important, especially when it involves guys who don't win in the receiving game. McCaffrey will be an interesting case when he comes up next offseason. 

Say what you will about the Chargers front office, but not paying Gordon was an excellent move, and I would argue his holdout helped them discover they had an even better RB in Ekeler. I'm really curious what would have happened if Zeke had held out into the season, and Dallas would have been stuck with Pollard starting. My guess is it would have made almost no difference, and Dallas would have still had the same record they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Frankman said:

This is moronic by Atlanta. You could've traded him to Detroit for a 4th round pick and now 3-4 months later you won't resign him?

I don't think Detroit was giving up a 4th for him, I had heard more like a 6-7th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he "loves" Devonta Freeman but acknowledged the team's salary cap is not "unlimited."

"This has nothing to do with love," said Blank. "It has to do with building a roster. The salary cap is not unlimited. It seems like it’s unlimited, but it’s not." Blank and the Falcons are taking a diplomatic approach to Freeman's likely release, attributing it to the team's valid salary cap concerns—only the Vikings, Jaguars and Steelers have less cap space than Atlanta. But this is much more than a cost-cutting measure. A perennial Pro Bowler early in his career, Freeman has been a catastrophe in recent years, limping to an anemic 3.66 yards per carry while battling a plethora of injuries the past two seasons. Now a month shy of his 28th birthday, all signs point to Freeman playing elsewhere in 2020.

Absolutely should have dealt him, even if it was for a 6th-7th. Team has plenty of RBs who could slam into brick walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Absolutely should have dealt him, even if it was for a 6th-7th. Team has plenty of RBs who could slam into brick walls.

I believe the Titanic has already left Southampton port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 8:11 AM, travdogg said:

Its also why Dallas was stupid to give into Zeke's demands, and the Titans will be wrong to pay Henry as well. There are 22 starting positions in  the NFL, and RB is arguably not among the 20 most important, especially when it involves guys who don't win in the receiving game. McCaffrey will be an interesting case when he comes up next offseason. 

Say what you will about the Chargers front office, but not paying Gordon was an excellent move, and I would argue his holdout helped them discover they had an even better RB in Ekeler. I'm really curious what would have happened if Zeke had held out into the season, and Dallas would have been stuck with Pollard starting. My guess is it would have made almost no difference, and Dallas would have still had the same record they did.

I agree. That Zeke contract is going to kill them, and his advanced metrics at RB aren't that sparkling. I say this as guy who has him in dynasty, too, so there's no real hatred going on. I'm just confused why they didn't try to go with Pollard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Falcons released RB Devonta Freeman.

Freeman had three years remaining on the six-year extension he signed in 2017. The Falcons are taking on $6 million in dead money to move on from him, but they get out of his $6.5 million salary this season. Freeman was limited to two games in 2018 and managed just 3.6 YPC in the 14 games he was healthy for last year. It's an easy decision to cut ties with him and reset at running back. 28-year-old Freeman won't struggle to resurface, but he's likely going to have to settle for a committee role.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 10:01 AM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Tampa Bay an option here?

As a dynasty owner, that would be the ideal spot for me. One of the few places I think he could go and still return RB2 numbers. That is, until they draft Swift or Akers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, That one guy said:

Tampa Bay an option here?

with brady and suh back id have to think they are up against the cap....freeman wont find a gig until after the draft im thinking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

with brady and suh back id have to think they are up against the cap....

Tampa estimated to be down to $7M in cap space after all their players it's announced they have signed ink their deals, this per Greg Auman yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

It's over. Move on, people.

FFPC league were we have to make cuts by March 31. Hoping like heck he'd sign before, maybe land someplace good  so I can get a late or future second for him but otherwise I might poke around for a third on March 31 and if not  planning on just cutting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be wrong but I don't think $ will be an issue with Freeman...he hit it big with his last deal and would think opportunity/winning are the biggest things he is looking (plus no one is gonna pay him much so it's probably a moot point)...Tampa would be a good fit for him, especially if they don't want to use a reasonably high pick at RB...Jones got benched for pass blocking as late as last December and with Brady at QB that area of his game is gonna be under the microscope that much more...Tampa definitely needs more depth at RB and Freeman could be a nice one year stopgap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Black and Gold said:

If the Steelers don't take a RB early in the draft, I could see them bringing Freeman in with a 2 year deal. Conner can't stay healthy and every day that goes by, Freeman gets cheaper.

they have Conner, Snell, and Samuels (though he's not really an RB)... figured if they were going to draft/sign someone it would be someone with some speed. Freeman doesn't make sense to me. Maybe McFarland or Darrynton Evans in the later rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

It's over. Move on, people.

Yep.

"That's not quicksand, that's turf."

"But it don't look like turf the way he runs on it..." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Black and Gold said:

If the Steelers don't take a RB early in the draft, I could see them bringing Freeman in with a 2 year deal. Conner can't stay healthy and every day that goes by, Freeman gets cheaper.

 

10 hours ago, pbandy1 said:

they have Conner, Snell, and Samuels (though he's not really an RB)... figured if they were going to draft/sign someone it would be someone with some speed. Freeman doesn't make sense to me. Maybe McFarland or Darrynton Evans in the later rounds.

I think Samuels is a cut casualty. He had his opportunity last year and bombed. He was/is considered to be their 3rd down guy. So I'm looking for someone with hands, not necessarily top notch speed. The local writers that I've been listening to think the Steelers first 3 positions to go in the draft will be WR, RB and OL. They have 1 2nd and 2 3rds. Of course they could use the 2nd rounder on a RB and all would be moot but I think they could possibly bring in a guy like Freeman to hedge their bets. I think they do like Snell but he's more or less just a pounder and I don't think they have any confidence that Conner can stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.