What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (1 Viewer)

Traded him and Kendell Wright for C.J. Anderson.

I liked Freeman and was a loud supporter of this guy, but after watching the coaches film of his runs last year there was no way I could not accept that deal.

He's not bad, but he was not as good as I expected. Might have been because Atlanta O-line sucked, but I wish I would had seen more jiggle and moves.

I liked Freeman and was a loud supporter of this guy, but after watching the coaches film of his runs last year there was no way I could not accept that deal.

He's not bad, but he was not as good as I expected. Might have been because Atlanta O-line sucked, but I wish I would had seen more jiggle and moves.
Hope you at least bought him dinner.

Have to think any good back has a shot against him. Let's face it, he's a 4th round pick from a previous regime. Basically he's on even footing with anyone else they bring in.

Sabertooth said:
Fireinside said:

Hope you at least bought him dinner.
He had coveted Kendall Wright for over a year and liked Freeman after last years draft. So it's not like I killed someone for this deal.

I still believe that Kendall can be an excellent receiver in NFL and receivers are much more valuable in dynasty.

Still, if C.J. will be as good as I hope/think, he could be the difference maker on our team.

Last edited by a moderator:
osubuckeyeman said:
I think he has to be a hold for owners right now. He has shown enough flashes to maintain a roster spot. The value in a trade would not move me in most leagues. He is as good of a lottery ticket as you would receive in a trade.
His value takes a big hit after tonight (I'm guessing).

This Falcons team still has plenty of holes to fill aside from RB. Be nice to see them assemble an NFL caliber offensive line.

If they dont take another RB before the 4th round, I think its a win for Davonta owners. Next couple days will likely determine his value headed into the offseason. If they add a 4th or 5th round RB, I think there is a good chance Davonta is the man at least to start the 2015 season. His job to lose. If they take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd, the air goes out of the balloon. One thing we do know - there will be another RB added. They have to.

I agree, they have too many holes to make rb a priority, but mini Shanahan runs the offense so Freeman won't be out of the woods until October.

Freeman is not that good. I'm not as high on coleman as others but he's easily my pick to win the job and get 250+ touches.

Rotoworld:

Devonta Freeman is expecting the Falcons to use a multi-back system this season.

The Falcons are a great bet to improve their run game under new OC Kyle Shanahan. The question is who will be getting the carries. Expect Freeman, third-round rookie Tevin Coleman and home-run hitter Antone Smith to all be in the mix. We'd give Coleman the edge for a majority share right now based on natural talent, but exact roles will be sorted out through competition.

Related: Antone Smith, Tevin Coleman

Source: ESPN.com
May 4 - 12:16 PM

Rotoworld:

Devonta Freeman - RB - Falcons

ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure believes Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman will see "equal reps" in a two-back system.

It is unlikely Coleman and Freeman finish the season in a perfect timeshare, but it make sense for Atlanta to let their two young backs duke it out in training camp and early in the season. As the hand-picked back of the current regime, Coleman should be seen as the favorite to win the lion's share of the work, but his questionable fit in OC Kyle Shanahan's scheme could make his transition to the NFL difficult. A more natural fit in a zone-blocking scheme, Freeman could earn a bigger role than anticipated in training camp, especially if Coleman struggles.

Related: Tevin Coleman

May 23 - 9:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Devonta Freeman opened Falcons OTAs as the first-string tailback.

Rookie Tevin Coleman ran with the twos. Freeman best projects as a role-player back, and was likely given the first-team nod out of veteran deference. In Kyle Shanahan's historically productive zone-run scheme, Coleman versus Freeman versus Antone Smith will be one of fantasy's top camp battles to watch.

May 26 - 6:01 PM

Falcons still have some o-line problems, so blocking ability might impact snap load. Anyone know how Coleman is as a blocker?

Just waiting for some news that shakes everything up, will Coleman run with the ones today?

This time of year there is so little news that lets us know what teams are actually thinking and many stories are just released again, like Joseph Randle in Dallas.

Rotoworld:

Devonta Freeman opened minicamp as the Falcons' first-string tailback.

He also opened OTAs as the starter. This is expected treatment of a veteran over a rookie, but Tevin Coleman is going to give Freeman a serious run for his money in training camp, and we'd ultimately expect Coleman to win. New Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan has been very willing to utilize RBBCs before, however. The Atlanta beat writers expect Freeman and Coleman to share time this year.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter
Jun 16 - 5:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Dan Quinn said Devonta Freeman will be "featured in a lot of different ways," including as a receiving option.

"He’s tough," Quinn added. "He’s got great quickness. He’s a factor for sure." Quinn stopped just short of naming Freeman the starter at running back, but it's clear he's a couple steps ahead of rookie Tevin Coleman. Coleman should still be a factor on game days, as Freeman probably isn't equipped to handle more than 15 touches per game. But Freeman is the back to own at the moment.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Jun 19 - 10:36 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN’s Vaughn McClure reports Devonta Freeman "has the edge" to start over rookie Tevin Coleman.

The Falcons gave Freeman first-team reps throughout OTAs, and McClure believes Freeman's more-natural receiving ability has placed him in front for now. Freeman will enter training camp as the slight favorite to start, but will face heavy pressure from more-talented Coleman. Ultimately, this looks like a backfield committee and potential 50:50 split. If Coleman's ADP stays in the sixth round, he'll be a worthy upside flex pick with low-end RB1 upside in run-game guru Kyle Shanahan's zone scheme.

Related: Tevin Coleman

Jun 20 - 6:51 PM

Ah..the memories. I was attacked from all sides for pointing out the obvious. Freeman would NOT get significant carries year 1 as a fourth round selection. Steven Jackson went down (as predicted) yet no takeover by Freeman. Now that that is out of the way, I am curious to know what Freeman supporters feel is going to happen with Coleman in the fold. Looks like Freeman is getting his annual offseason hype (just like last year). Will he deliver? Not a big believer in either guy to be honest. And I owned Freeman last season.

Huh....who is hyping Freeman? I haven't read many pro-Freeman comments on these boards. And in the mass media world, Rotoworld is going out of its way to spin ATL RB news in favor of Coleman - quite entertaining when the news is something like "Freeman running with the starters." So I don't see any Freeman hype. I think you are in line with the broad majority here.

What happens with Coleman now in the fold: I am not a big Freeman supporter, but for redraft purposes I suspect he might be a lowish RB2 bargain in PPR, as he will now be collecting Ryan's dumpoffs. I have him in one league and turned down a Coleman-for-Freeman straight-up offer a week ago. Don't think Coleman is ready to play yet. Barring injuries, Freeman should outtouch him 7:3 or 6:4. Don't have a view on their dynasty values, hard to predict without seeing Coleman in an actual NFL environment.

Zdravko said:
Huh....who is hyping Freeman? I haven't read many pro-Freeman comments on these boards. And in the mass media world, Rotoworld is going out of its way to spin ATL RB news in favor of Coleman - quite entertaining when the news is something like "Freeman running with the starters." So I don't see any Freeman hype. I think you are in line with the broad majority here.

What happens with Coleman now in the fold: I am not a big Freeman supporter, but for redraft purposes I suspect he might be a lowish RB2 bargain in PPR, as he will now be collecting Ryan's dumpoffs. I have him in one league and turned down a Coleman-for-Freeman straight-up offer a week ago. Don't think Coleman is ready to play yet. Barring injuries, Freeman should outtouch him 7:3 or 6:4. Don't have a view on their dynasty values, hard to predict without seeing Coleman in an actual NFL environment.
Agreed. So far there has been very little Freeman hype so far. And honestly aside from the news you shouldn't even read any of Roto's "expert" opinions. Simply put they are awful.

Zdravko said:

You obviously haven't read this thread.

Zdravko said:

Or heard of bostonfred.

Zdravko said:

Thank you.

Zdravko said:

I have but haven't really seen much hype after the draft. And in my dynasty leagues, the Freeman owners have all been trying to unload him and meanwhile I offered Freeman to the Coleman owner for a 2016 2nd in the only league I own him and was disdainfully told, "I am not interested in RB handcuffs."

Zdravko said:

I have but haven't really seen much hype after the draft. And in my dynasty leagues, the Freeman owners have all been trying to unload him and meanwhile I offered Freeman to the Coleman owner for a 2016 2nd in the only league I own him and was disdainfully told, "I am not interested in RB handcuffs."
Bizarre.

Other than hype for Coleman and opinions on Rotoworld and such, we have ZERO evidence to indicate that Freeman has less of a hold on the job than the incoming rookie.

Here's a shred of historical evidence we do have...in last year's Hard Knocks featuring the Falcons, we saw coaches pushing and admonishing Freeman to learn blocking assignments and intimating he wasn't ready. Why should anyone assume that they won't adopt the exactly the same approach with Coleman? Why should Coleman get a quicker or easier ride?

...just rookie fever and claims what a 'great fit' Coleman is to the scheme. Okay, I half buy it.

In one league I have Freeman, and I feel he's got a 50% chance at being the league dog. In another, I have Freeman and Coleman, and I feel the same about them both, with the hope that one of them truly does get the decidedly bigger piece.

If I had Coleman alone in any league, I would certainly be trying to acquire Freeman while others are discounting his chances.

Here's a shred of historical evidence we do have...in last year's Hard Knocks featuring the Falcons, we saw coaches pushing and admonishing Freeman to learn blocking assignments and intimating he wasn't ready. Why should anyone assume that they won't adopt the exactly the same approach with Coleman? Why should Coleman get a quicker or easier ride?
It's not the same coaching staff?

Zdravko said:

After the 2015 draft? Obviously you aren't going to see much hype after that one, considering they drafted a RB with a higher pick than they used on Freeman. The poster I quoted said he hasn't read many pro-Freeman comments on these boards. Well, you don't have to look very far, there are quite a few of them in this thread alone.

Zdravko said:

I have read it - where is this abundant 2015 hype? Should be easy to quote...

I think it's hard to trade for or dispose of Freeman right now. Owners look at the upside (lead guy in a Shanahan system), while buyers look at the downside (loses the job to Coleman). There is not enough info out there to make either side a believer or to completely lose faith. This will sort itself out as the season rolls on, but right now if you own him - you probably can't find a buyer, and if you don't own him - you are not investing.

Somebody posted earlier that they would trade him immediately for a mid-second. I would buy at that price. I'd love to see if any owner actually executed a trade at that price.

Zdravko said:

I have read it - where is this abundant 2015 hype? Should be easy to quote...

I think it's hard to trade for or dispose of Freeman right now. Owners look at the upside (lead guy in a Shanahan system), while buyers look at the downside (loses the job to Coleman). There is not enough info out there to make either side a believer or to completely lose faith. This will sort itself out as the season rolls on, but right now if you own him - you probably can't find a buyer, and if you don't own him - you are not investing.

Somebody posted earlier that they would trade him immediately for a mid-second. I would buy at that price. I'd love to see if any owner actually executed a trade at that price.
Where in your first post did you say 2015 hype? Should be easy to quote...

You are trying to change and avoid the issue, because you know there is no hype to talk about. I was obviously responding to the poster right above me.

But anyway, that's not important, let's drop it. I am much more interested in having a proper FF discussion about what people would accept / offer for Freeman

Ah..the memories. I was attacked from all sides for pointing out the obvious. Freeman would NOT get significant carries year 1 as a fourth round selection. Steven Jackson went down (as predicted) yet no takeover by Freeman. Now that that is out of the way, I am curious to know what Freeman supporters feel is going to happen with Coleman in the fold. Looks like Freeman is getting his annual offseason hype (just like last year). Will he deliver? Not a big believer in either guy to be honest. And I owned Freeman last season.
Annual offseason hype? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Hello? Freeman was a rookie last year. This is only his second offseason ever. And there's been no hype on this board about him so far this offseason. In fact, the only thing positive things I've read so far on here are Faust's reposts from external websites that imply that right now, Freeman is getting more first team reps than Coleman. That only passes for hype if you have an agenda (ie "I told you so").

It's not the same coaching staff?
:lmao:

You are trying to change and avoid the issue, because you know there is no hype to talk about. I was obviously responding to the poster right above me.

But anyway, that's not important, let's drop it. I am much more interested in having a proper FF discussion about what people would accept / offer for Freeman
As a Freeman dynasty owner I'd consider trading him for a mid second round rookie pick, but would not be interested in anything lower than that. Otherwise I think he still presents enough upside/optionality from (a) injuries to the other backs (decent probability), (b) playing well in a part time role (modest probability), and/or © winning the job outright (low probability) that makes him worth keeping over most late 2nd/early 3rd round rookie picks.

Wait, I'm the one trying to change and avoid the issue? :lmao:

I quoted exactly what you wrote in black and white, where you said you haven't seen many pro-Freeman comments on these boards. This very thread that you are posting in is filled with pro-Freeman comments. Now, if you meant you haven't seen many pro-Freeman comments recently, then you should have just said that and I wouldn't have responded in the first place.

I quoted exactly what you wrote in black and white, where you said you haven't seen many pro-Freeman comments on these boards. This very thread that you are posting in is filled with pro-Freeman comments. Now, if you meant you haven't seen many pro-Freeman comments recently, then you should have just said that and I wouldn't have responded in the first place.
He was saying it in response to a guy who was clearly implying that Freeman was getting offseason hype this year (he referenced Freeman's "annual" offseason hype despite this being only his second offseason). I don't get why you are being so obtuse.

ETA: sorry, deliberately obtuse would be a better way of saying it...I don't actually think you are slow.

He was saying it in response to a guy who was clearly implying that Freeman was getting offseason hype this year (he referenced Freeman's "annual" offseason hype despite this being only his second offseason). I don't get why you are being so obtuse.

ETA: sorry, deliberately obtuse would be a better way of saying it...I don't actually think you are slow.
In both years of Freeman's pro career, he has received offseason hype. That qualifies as annual. I really don't care if you agree with me or not. Understand?

I assumed he was responding to that post (though not 100% sure since he didn't quote it), but that post talked about a lot of things. In fact, he wrote more about the past than he did about the present, but it's obtuse that I didn't assume Z was ignoring the majority of a post and only speaking to a small part of it? It would have been pretty darn easy for him to specify that, no?

Deliberately obtuse because I didn't assume he meant something different than what he actually wrote- it's like bizarro world in here.

I assumed he was responding to that post (though not 100% sure since he didn't quote it), but that post talked about a lot of things. In fact, he wrote more about the past than he did about the present, but it's obtuse that I didn't assume Z was ignoring the majority of a post and only speaking to a small part of it? It would have been pretty darn easy for him to specify that, no?

Deliberately obtuse because I didn't assume he meant something different than what he actually wrote- it's like bizarro world in here.
Perhaps you should go back and read Z's post again....and specifically the parts that you did not highlight (which is 92% of it). Which part would suggest that he is not talking solely about the Freeman hype in a post-Coleman world?

Perhaps you should go back and read Z's post again....and specifically the parts that you did not highlight (which is 92% of it). Which part would suggest that he is not talking solely about the Freeman hype in a post-Coleman world?
See, that's how this works. When you quote a post, and highlight a part of it, that makes it perfectly clear what part you are referring to. You clearly understand this since you did it yourself- perhaps you're being a little "deliberately obtuse"?

His first sentence, where he said "Huh....who is hyping Freeman? I haven't read many pro-Freeman comments on these boards", certainly doesn't suggest that he is talking solely about the Freeman hype in a post-Coleman world, which is why I highlighted it. Also the fact that the post he was responding to talked more about the past than the present. If you aren't referring to the entire post, you can highlight the parts you are talking about, just like you and I have.

One of the silliest tangents I've seen in a while...

When the offseason is afoot and the partition that is late June/early July separates football activity from training camp, posters tend to argue about the silliest things. Don't be surprised Humpback. In fact, I would warn, this is only the beginning. Late July can't get here soon enough.... SMH.

humpback said:
hxperson said:
humpback said:
hxperson said:
humpback said:
Zdravko said:

See, that's how this works. When you quote a post, and highlight a part of it, that makes it perfectly clear what part you are referring to. You clearly understand this since you did it yourself- perhaps you're being a little "deliberately obtuse"?

His first sentence, where he said "Huh....who is hyping Freeman? I haven't read many pro-Freeman comments on these boards", certainly doesn't suggest that he is talking solely about the Freeman hype in a post-Coleman world, which is why I highlighted it. Also the fact that the post he was responding to talked more about the past than the present. If you aren't referring to the entire post, you can highlight the parts you are talking about, just like you and I have.

Ok, so highlighting a small portion of a post renders everything else in that post completely irrelevant. Got it.

And LMAO at the guy who came in here completely making up the idea there is hype right now around Freeman (show me one post in this thread post draft before you made your claim suggesting that he is anything more than a low probability starter) criticizing other people for gumming up the shark pool.

humpback said:
hxperson said:
humpback said:
hxperson said:
humpback said:
Zdravko said:

Ok, so highlighting a small portion of a post renders everything else in that post completely irrelevant. Got it.

And LMAO at the guy who came in here completely making up the idea there is hype right now around Freeman (show me one post in this thread post draft before you made your claim suggesting that he is anything more than a low probability starter) criticizing other people for gumming up the shark pool.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. :loco:

humpback said:
hxperson said:
humpback said:
hxperson said:
humpback said:
Zdravko said:

Wait, I'm the one trying to change and avoid the issue? :lmao: I quoted exactly what you wrote in black and white, where you said you haven't seen many pro-Freeman comments on these boards. This very thread that you are posting in is filled with pro-Freeman comments. Now, if you meant you haven't seen many pro-Freeman comments recently, then you should have just said that and I wouldn't have responded in the first place.
He was saying it in response to a guy who was clearly implying that Freeman was getting offseason hype this year (he referenced Freeman's "annual" offseason hype despite this being only his second offseason). I don't get why you are being so obtuse.ETA: sorry, deliberately obtuse would be a better way of saying it...I don't actually think you are slow.
I assumed he was responding to that post (though not 100% sure since he didn't quote it), but that post talked about a lot of things. In fact, he wrote more about the past than he did about the present, but it's obtuse that I didn't assume Z was ignoring the majority of a post and only speaking to a small part of it? It would have been pretty darn easy for him to specify that, no?Deliberately obtuse because I didn't assume he meant something different than what he actually wrote- it's like bizarro world in here.
See, that's how this works. When you quote a post, and highlight a part of it, that makes it perfectly clear what part you are referring to. You clearly understand this since you did it yourself- perhaps you're being a little "deliberately obtuse"?His first sentence, where he said "Huh....who is hyping Freeman? I haven't read many pro-Freeman comments on these boards", certainly doesn't suggest that he is talking solely about the Freeman hype in a post-Coleman world, which is why I highlighted it. Also the fact that the post he was responding to talked more about the past than the present. If you aren't referring to the entire post, you can highlight the parts you are talking about, just like you and I have.

Ok, so highlighting a small portion of a post renders everything else in that post completely irrelevant. Got it.And LMAO at the guy who came in here completely making up the idea there is hype right now around Freeman (show me one post in this thread post draft before you made your claim suggesting that he is anything more than a low probability starter) criticizing other people for gumming up the shark pool.
Dont worry buddy. August is almost here. I understand what you are going through! Youtube some highlights of your guys if you need a fix. Its ok. You dont have to win em all! I think they just finished a new Freeman highlight reel. Preseason's greatest hits with 14 regular season carries sprinkled in. Joy! Moving on kid.

So....now that humpback has properly validated the conditionality of his (and georg's) hype comments to refer only to a pre-Coleman world...

...can we move on to Freeman?

Someone said they would sell for a mid-second. Looking at what are the comparable RBs at that point in rookie drafts, I think I would accept that immediately. Anyone else thinks its a good deal?

Dont worry buddy. August is almost here. I understand what you are going through! Youtube some highlights of your guys if you need a fix. Its ok. You dont have to win em all! I think they just finished a new Freeman highlight reel. Preseason's greatest hits with 14 regular season carries sprinkled in. Joy! Moving on kid.
:lmao:

Calling me a fanboy doesn't make you any less silly for calling something "Annual" that has only happened once. Man that Annual Golden State Warriors Championship parade was pretty awesome huh?

Back to Freeman - to qualify what I was saying earlier, in my dynasty league rookie draft most of the RB prospects with good upside generally go pretty early. For example, this year David Cobbs, David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Mike Davis and Jay Ajayi all were gone before 2.08. I would definitely take all of those guys ahead of Freeman.

The RB's taken later in the 3rd - Javorius Allen, Josh Robinson, and Matt Jones - I see as similar to Freeman in that they have solid situations but large question marks (around skill set, competition, etc). Factor in the year of waiting that comes with a future pick, and I think a mid to late 2nd rounder for next year's rookie draft is fair.

Users who are viewing this thread