What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (4 Viewers)

So what if they play it different with him? As long as he puts up fantasy points, that's all that matters right? Coleman would be a #1 RB if Freeman went down.
Without a doubt and since I own Freeman, with my bad luck, it would be wise to own Coleman. Gio got the screw job by Cincy and he's more talented than Freeman. Fortunately the ATL coaching staff is more talented than Cincy's. A couple 2 yard gains by Gio on poor play calling sent him into RBBC with Mr. Fumble Jeremy Hill.
I know you are so right. They rather have plodding Hill run for 2 yards instead of GIO's 5.5 ypc and more effective in passing game. I always thought if Gio could get 25-30 touches a game he could be similar to what Freeman is now. Cinci coaching staff is so stupid.

yes - nothing that Cincinnati has done in 2015 has worked so far - they should be fired instantly.
Some are more worried about fake football.
Fake football or not, it's flat out stupid to be trotting out a guy that averages 3.0 ypc vs one that averages 5.5 ypc. See John Fox. it eventually catches up to you are you are told to leave (Carolina) because you are too stupid to see the obvious.

Back to Freeman. He ####### kicks ###.

Last edited by a moderator:
No TDs? Looks like Freeman's decline is in full swing.
He had 40+ yard and 10+ yard runs taken back due to ticky tack penalties (block in the back / holding). Falcons got too cute in the endzone and instead of handing him the ball, gave the ball to the fullback and try to force feed it to Julio. Don't know why they wouldn't run it with Freeman when he already has 9 rushing TD's.

No TDs? Looks like Freeman's decline is in full swing.
He had 40+ yard and 10+ yard runs taken back due to ticky tack penalties (block in the back / holding). Falcons got too cute in the endzone and instead of handing him the ball, gave the ball to the fullback and try to force feed it to Julio. Don't know why they wouldn't run it with Freeman when he already has 9 rushing TD's.
It looked like Quinn wants to get more options involved. Seemed to make an effort to get the ball to Roddy and Nick Williams and even Tamme once. You mentioned FB. In time, there will be a real good D where it'll be a negative if it's only Julio and Devante.

Like Shlon said though, he had some called back. They could have run all day. It was easy. Levitre looked like he was with the Titans again but the right side of their line was awesome. He had a nice big hole, they got to the LBers and he could make one cut and get thru if they didn't.

Announcer compared him to Barry.

This was in no way a bad game, some crazy talk in this thread. Coleman got some carries too. Just starting to spread it around some is all.

No one really knows why Coleman was named the starter for certain, but it's pretty clear Atlanta didn't have a super high opinion on Freeman- he didn't take many carries away from an ancient SJax and JAG Quizz last year, and then they used a higher pick than they used on him to take Coleman. Just a reminder, even after these two games that everyone is going bonkers over, Freeman has a 3.8 ypc avg. on the season...

Regardless, it seems likely that both will get carries going forward, and whichever performs better will command more of them (fwiw, that was Coleman for the first two games of the season).
Look at when he was primary back and he is over 4.0 and those first two games he was still getting healthy. So while you can say count everything you need to remember that things have changed and freeman is now fully healthy.
What's the excuse for last year?
Different coaches and systems. Rookie season learning the game.
So last year it was that he was a rookie learning the game and the coaches/system stunk, and the 1st two weeks of this year it was that he was injured, and then magically everything that has been holding him back was lifted and the last two weeks is what he's always been? I'm guessing the drafting of Coleman with a higher pick than they used on him was just for depth, right? Also, if a rookie learning the game is a major hindrance, doesn't that mean that Coleman should also improve dramatically in the future?

He's played well the last two weeks, but his track record overall hasn't been good, and IMO most of the last two weeks is due to the play of the O-line.
Look dont own him if you dont want but these are legitimate reasons (not even excuses) as to why he would under perform. I dont think anyone expects him to stay on this pace but at this point he is solidly entrenched as a 1RB the rest of the year likely.

Having a mediocre first year as a backup does not relegate you to the cellar for the rest of your career, just as having a first year that is successful could mean you are Trent Richardson. Things change, including opportunity, players around you, work ethic, and simple luck.

By the way in case you didn't see it there have been 16 players with back to back 30 point games since 2000:

Brian Westbrook 2008
Clinton Portis 2003
DeAngelo Williams 2008
Deuce McAllister 2003
LaDainian Tomlinson 2003, 2006
Larry Johnson 2005
Le'Veon Bell 2014
Marshall Faulk* 2000, 2001
Mike Anderson 2000
Priest Holmes 2003. 2004
Ricky Williams 2000, 2002
Steven Jackson 2006
Let me know if you think any of these guys were fantasy busts during those seasons? Also take a look a Le'Veon Bell as a Rookie (NO I AM NOT SAYING FREEMAN WILL BE BELL FOR SURE):

2013 - 244 for 860 (3.5) and 8TDs w/ 45 receptions for 399 and 0TDs

The Steelers even brought in another RB who performed pretty well the year prior in Blount and were paying him more than Bell going in to the season, although Bell was still projected to be the #1. At this point Coleman will likely eat in to some of the touches for Freeman but if he keeps producing there is no way they can pull him from the field.
not that it matters much, but if i were you, i would reconsider where or how you gather your data. you are missing bryce brown for certain. his rookie year, replacing injured mccoy, he put up 189 total yards and 2 tds, followed by 183 and 2 tds,

The problem is that the only people that think Freeman is a legit RB1 is the people that have him. Maybe that changes a little if he can combine for 100 yards and a score this week, but I doubt it.

I'm fine with using him as a plug in and forget RB1/2, even after Coleman comes back.
Not all of us. I think he is a legit NFL RB talent. I wouldn't call him a legit RB1 unless Coleman was out for the season. Then he would be.
In PPR he is a legit RB1.
By the end of the year from here on out i do not see him being a RB1. His points are greatly inflated due to the 6 touchdowns. Other wise he is an Average RB2
nope. not at all. hes still getting a ton of yards and receptions. since he took over in week 2, hes averaged 116 yards rushing and 41 yards receiving on 4.5 catches.

what an absurd point of view.

The problem is that the only people that think Freeman is a legit RB1 is the people that have him. Maybe that changes a little if he can combine for 100 yards and a score this week, but I doubt it.

I'm fine with using him as a plug in and forget RB1/2, even after Coleman comes back.
Not all of us. I think he is a legit NFL RB talent. I wouldn't call him a legit RB1 unless Coleman was out for the season. Then he would be.
In PPR he is a legit RB1.
By the end of the year from here on out i do not see him being a RB1. His points are greatly inflated due to the 6 touchdowns. Other wise he is an Average RB2
nope. not at all. hes still getting a ton of yards and receptions. since he took over in week 2, hes averaged 116 yards rushing and 41 yards receiving on 4.5 catches.

what an absurd point of view.
Hilarious.

At the end of the year what will it be?

Take away those 17 touchdowns and he would've been a middling RB2. Hey, I bet if you take away his receptions and TDs he might be a RB3.

Ah screw it, take away all of his touches and he's waiver fodder. LOL

Hilarious.

Take away those 17 touchdowns and he would've been a middling RB2. Hey, I bet if you take away his receptions and TDs he might be a RB3.

The dude's point isn't complicated: TDs are volatile and sometimes they come in spurts. Generally speaking, you'll do well trading away guys getting touchdowns for guys getting yards.

Hilarious.

The dude's point isn't complicated: TDs are volatile and sometimes they come in spurts. Generally speaking, you'll do well trading away guys getting touchdowns for guys getting yards.
Except that on a day when he didn't score and points were at a premium, Freeman still managed 116 yards and 4.6 per carry. So the point doesn't seem to apply. Expecting 35+ point of the guy every week isn't realistic. However, it's clear he's running the ball well.

I loved the fact that when they got too cute at the goal line, it ended in disaster. Freeman = MJD2/PHolmes JR

Except that on a day when he didn't score and points were at a premium, Freeman still managed 116 yards and 4.6 per carry. So the point doesn't seem to apply. Expecting 35+ point of the guy every week isn't realistic. However, it's clear he's running the ball well.
You're right. Dude's getting yards and tds.

I loved the fact that when they got too cute at the goal line, it ended in disaster. Freeman = MJD2/PHolmes JR
Major failure. Just about everytime he has had the ball near the goal line, he has produced a TD. Seems like trying to be cute by using lesser players is the norm anymore in the NFL. JAX - Gerhart 4x, DET with 2 bums that should only be playing special teams among other GL blunders this week.

WTH happened to lining up your best guy and giving it to him?

Major failure. Just about everytime he has had the ball near the goal line, he has produced a TD. Seems like trying to be cute by using lesser players is the norm anymore in the NFL. JAX - Gerhart 4x, DET with 2 bums that should only be playing special teams among other GL blunders this week.

WTH happened to lining up your best guy and giving it to him?
Strange. Carolina did it last night

3-1-CAR 49
(3:23) 34-C.Artis-Payne right guard to CAR 49 for no gain (95-M.Kendricks; 23-N.Carroll). #79 Chris Scott reports as eligible

Stewart had 21 carries for 121 yards at this point and they take him out on 3rd and 1 with 3:23 left up by 8 to give it to C.Artis-Payne for his first carry of the night who proceeds to get stuffed.

Makes no sense

No one really knows why Coleman was named the starter for certain, but it's pretty clear Atlanta didn't have a super high opinion on Freeman- he didn't take many carries away from an ancient SJax and JAG Quizz last year, and then they used a higher pick than they used on him to take Coleman. Just a reminder, even after these two games that everyone is going bonkers over, Freeman has a 3.8 ypc avg. on the season...

Regardless, it seems likely that both will get carries going forward, and whichever performs better will command more of them (fwiw, that was Coleman for the first two games of the season).
Look at when he was primary back and he is over 4.0 and those first two games he was still getting healthy. So while you can say count everything you need to remember that things have changed and freeman is now fully healthy.
So last year it was that he was a rookie learning the game and the coaches/system stunk, and the 1st two weeks of this year it was that he was injured, and then magically everything that has been holding him back was lifted and the last two weeks is what he's always been? I'm guessing the drafting of Coleman with a higher pick than they used on him was just for depth, right? Also, if a rookie learning the game is a major hindrance, doesn't that mean that Coleman should also improve dramatically in the future?

He's played well the last two weeks, but his track record overall hasn't been good, and IMO most of the last two weeks is due to the play of the O-line.
Look dont own him if you dont want but these are legitimate reasons (not even excuses) as to why he would under perform. I dont think anyone expects him to stay on this pace but at this point he is solidly entrenched as a 1RB the rest of the year likely.

Having a mediocre first year as a backup does not relegate you to the cellar for the rest of your career, just as having a first year that is successful could mean you are Trent Richardson. Things change, including opportunity, players around you, work ethic, and simple luck.

By the way in case you didn't see it there have been 16 players with back to back 30 point games since 2000:

Brian Westbrook 2008
Clinton Portis 2003
DeAngelo Williams 2008
Deuce McAllister 2003
Larry Johnson 2005
Le'Veon Bell 2014
Mike Anderson 2000
Priest Holmes 2003. 2004
Steven Jackson 2006
Let me know if you think any of these guys were fantasy busts during those seasons? Also take a look a Le'Veon Bell as a Rookie (NO I AM NOT SAYING FREEMAN WILL BE BELL FOR SURE):

The Steelers even brought in another RB who performed pretty well the year prior in Blount and were paying him more than Bell going in to the season, although Bell was still projected to be the #1. At this point Coleman will likely eat in to some of the touches for Freeman but if he keeps producing there is no way they can pull him from the field.
not that it matters much, but if i were you, i would reconsider where or how you gather your data. you are missing bryce brown for certain. his rookie year, replacing injured mccoy, he put up 189 total yards and 2 tds, followed by 183 and 2 tds,
He fumbled twice in the first game and once in the 2nd game, which is probably why he is just under 30 in each one. (18 + 12 - 4 or 2)

Major failure. Just about everytime he has had the ball near the goal line, he has produced a TD. Seems like trying to be cute by using lesser players is the norm anymore in the NFL. JAX - Gerhart 4x, DET with 2 bums that should only be playing special teams among other GL blunders this week.WTH happened to lining up your best guy and giving it to him?
Strange. Carolina did it last night3-1-CAR 49

(3:23) 34-C.Artis-Payne right guard to CAR 49 for no gain (95-M.Kendricks; 23-N.Carroll). #79 Chris Scott reports as eligible

Stewart had 21 carries for 121 yards at this point and they take him out on 3rd and 1 with 3:23 left up by 8 to give it to C.Artis-Payne for his first carry of the night who proceeds to get stuffed.

Makes no sense
Artis-Payne actually made a good run then -the replay from above showed him avoiding two guys in backfield to get back to LOS.

Freeman was running well yesterday I was impressed because Titans were really physical along the front and Freeman looked good getting thru some early tackles especially because of his size.

Ahh, good call on the fumbles. Looks like im the one who should reconsider my data source as it does not factor in fumbles.

Hilarious.

You know he's leading the NFL in Yards right? He's #1 in Yards rushing and #3 in RB Yards receiving. What are you missing here?

So last year it was that he was a rookie learning the game and the coaches/system stunk, and the 1st two weeks of this year it was that he was injured, and then magically everything that has been holding him back was lifted and the last two weeks is what he's always been? I'm guessing the drafting of Coleman with a higher pick than they used on him was just for depth, right? Also, if a rookie learning the game is a major hindrance, doesn't that mean that Coleman should also improve dramatically in the future?He's played well the last two weeks, but his track record overall hasn't been good, and IMO most of the last two weeks is due to the play of the O-line.
Look dont own him if you dont want but these are legitimate reasons (not even excuses) as to why he would under perform. I dont think anyone expects him to stay on this pace but at this point he is solidly entrenched as a 1RB the rest of the year likely.Having a mediocre first year as a backup does not relegate you to the cellar for the rest of your career, just as having a first year that is successful could mean you are Trent Richardson. Things change, including opportunity, players around you, work ethic, and simple luck.

Brian Westbrook 2008

Clinton Portis 2003

DeAngelo Williams 2008

Deuce McAllister 2003

Larry Johnson 2005

Le'Veon Bell 2014

Mike Anderson 2000

Priest Holmes 2003. 2004

Steven Jackson 2006

He fumbled twice in the first game and once in the 2nd game, which is probably why he is just under 30 in each one. (18 + 12 - 4 or 2)
28.9 and 30.3 to be exact

So before calling me out try doing the research yourself and good call out long ball with the reasoning.

Glad I have Coleman we will see if he misses time next week. I don't see anything that Coleman could do not to have Freeman come right back in and take a large majority of carries.

Only thing I've seen is this from Rotoworld

Devonta Freeman is "off to a good start" with the concussion protocol.

Speaking at Monday's presser, coach Dan Quinn sounded like he expected Freeman to suit up against the Vikings. His status will be updated no later than Wednesday, when the Falcons return to practice.
I doubt we will have anything of much use before Wednesday though. It's good to hear he's doing okay as apparently symptoms in the first 24 hours are crucial.

Some guy in my main league had a moment of clarity prior to the Sunday games and picked up Tevin Coleman off waivers. Might have to ask him for lottery numbers if Freeman is out for a while.

Some guy in my main league had a moment of clarity prior to the Sunday games and picked up Tevin Coleman off waivers. Might have to ask him for lottery numbers if Freeman is out for a while.
And I dropped Coleman last waiver ha. (Non Freeman owner)

Is there a reverse lottery I can find ?

I'm a Freeman owner who has met all the hype with a great deal of skepticism. Despite the fact he had a serious injury yesterday, I finally felt like he was going to be a long term stud.

A few FBG who are smarter than me have argued that Coleman is who the Falcons want long term. After yesterday, I have very little concern that that is the case. Coleman rushed for five more yards than Freeman on 14 more carries (2.8 ypc) and had a costly fumble. More importantly, he looked worse than the stat line. True to his scouting report, he looked like he was trying to run the 100m on every carry - high centre of gravity, very little bend in his legs, no patience or vision, just straight line speed. The amount of contact required to take him down was shocking.

This tells me two important things: 1) Freeman is not just a product of his O-line or scheme. He has something special. 2) Tevin Coleman is not the future. One game will not make or break a career, but he has done nothing with his opportunities, and he just doesn't look like a good fit for this offence, or perhaps this league.

I'm a Freeman owner who has met all the hype with a great deal of skepticism. Despite the fact he had a serious injury yesterday, I finally felt like he was going to be a long term stud.

A few FBG who are smarter than me have argued that Coleman is who the Falcons want long term. After yesterday, I have very little concern that that is the case. Coleman rushed for five more yards than Freeman on 14 more carries (2.8 ypc) and had a costly fumble. More importantly, he looked worse than the stat line. True to his scouting report, he looked like he was trying to run the 100m on every carry - high centre of gravity, very little bend in his legs, no patience or vision, just straight line speed. The amount of contact required to take him down was shocking.

This tells me two important things: 1) Freeman is not just a product of his O-line or scheme. He has something special. 2) Tevin Coleman is not the future. One game will not make or break a career, but he has done nothing with his opportunities, and he just doesn't look like a good fit for this offence, or perhaps this league.
im definitely not a smarter FBG'er than most here, but i was very impressed what I saw from coleman in game #1. he passed the eye test for me... i did not see any of yesterday's game though.

he looked like he was trying to run the 100m on every carry - high centre of gravity, very little bend in his legs, no patience or vision, just straight line speed. The amount of contact required to take him down was shocking.
This was my first time to watch Coleman and I agree. Take the handoff and run straight ahead at full blast. A strong gust of wind would then take him down. I was really surprised by what I saw.

he looked like he was trying to run the 100m on every carry - high centre of gravity, very little bend in his legs, no patience or vision, just straight line speed. The amount of contact required to take him down was shocking.
This was my first time to watch Coleman and I agree. Take the handoff and run straight ahead at full blast. A strong gust of wind would then take him down. I was really surprised by what I saw.
I told people that a while back. No vision at all. Just run fast but if touched, goes down just as fast. That will work great in college.

Glad I traded for Coleman a couple weeks ago as a handcuff, but its pretty clear if Freeman misses time with the concussion - or another later injury - Coleman is not going to be as productive. Still nice to have a RB2/flex for the lineup in Coleman, but Freeman missing time would be a big loss.

Thankfully it looks like Freeman might even play week 12.

Apparently not ruled out. Atlanta beat guy tweeted 'out for Sunday' when he meant out for practice. I'm convinced these guys do this on purpose to get more followers..

Devonta Freeman (concussion) is not practicing Wednesday.
He remains in the first phase of the league's concussion protocol. It's not a good sign for Freeman's prospects of suiting up Week 12 against the Vikings, but we'll have to keep an eye on his progress the rest of the week and into the weekend. If he can't go, Tevin Coleman will get the start in the backfield. Nov 25 - 12:13 PM
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

If Freeman is out, what do we think about Tevin Coleman this week? He looked rough last week, but I would think the gameplan would be better suited for his style if he goes into the game as a starter. Top-15? Top-10?

If Freeman is out, what do we think about Tevin Coleman this week? He looked rough last week, but I would think the gameplan would be better suited for his style if he goes into the game as a starter. Top-15? Top-10?
I think it means Atl gets their butts kicked again. Remember that every year there are a few teams that start super hot and then go in the tank. Falcons are this.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Devonta Freeman (concussion) will not practice Thursday, and the team is preparing as if he will not play against the Vikings.

Home game and I can't see either team running away with it. I scooped up Coleman today and may start him over Woodhead.

Home game and I can't see either team running away with it. I scooped up Coleman today and may start him over Woodhead.
Well, that tells us all we need to know.

Well, that tells us all we need to know.
Only owned in 71% in CBS leagues. Freeman owner has turkey hangover I guess.

No offense intended but I'm not sure how a handcuff like that is left out there. Before Thanksgiving. Even in smaller leagues.

So last year it was that he was a rookie learning the game and the coaches/system stunk, and the 1st two weeks of this year it was that he was injured, and then magically everything that has been holding him back was lifted and the last two weeks is what he's always been? I'm guessing the drafting of Coleman with a higher pick than they used on him was just for depth, right? Also, if a rookie learning the game is a major hindrance, doesn't that mean that Coleman should also improve dramatically in the future?He's played well the last two weeks, but his track record overall hasn't been good, and IMO most of the last two weeks is due to the play of the O-line.
Look dont own him if you dont want but these are legitimate reasons (not even excuses) as to why he would under perform. I dont think anyone expects him to stay on this pace but at this point he is solidly entrenched as a 1RB the rest of the year likely.Having a mediocre first year as a backup does not relegate you to the cellar for the rest of your career, just as having a first year that is successful could mean you are Trent Richardson. Things change, including opportunity, players around you, work ethic, and simple luck.

Brian Westbrook 2008

Clinton Portis 2003

DeAngelo Williams 2008

Deuce McAllister 2003

Larry Johnson 2005

Le'Veon Bell 2014

Mike Anderson 2000

Priest Holmes 2003. 2004

Steven Jackson 2006

28.9 and 30.3 to be exact

So before calling me out try doing the research yourself and good call out long ball with the reasoning.
ya and some leagues dont count fumbles. so whatever. its a stupid arbitrary stat anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread