What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (2 Viewers)

Yeah, I think it is a mistake to Draft Freeman as a #1 RB as the split is definately going to be closer to 50-50. 

Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan said the team will "go with the guy who's hot" at running back this season.
"Whoever's rolling with it, you stick with him," said Shanahan. "When they need a break, the other guy comes in. You try to keep them both fresh to see how it pans out at the end of the game." While ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure said he still considers Freeman the "workhorse," Shanahan's words suggest otherwise. Coleman lost the starting job to Freeman after suffering a rib injury last season but now he's back and ready to cut into Freeman's workload. With Coleman nipping at his heels, Freeman projects as more of an RB2/3 going forward. Sep 9 - 10:29 AM

In PPR if you take away 1/3rd of Devonte Freeman's fantasy points in 2015, he would of still been RB8 for the season and would of been RB7 on a per game average.  

Like most, I never saw it coming from Devonta Freeman.  But he put up such gaudy numbers that even adjusting for TD regression and a lessened load he still figures to put up RB1 production.   Now obviously that's assuming he's not a flash in the pan, which is hard for me to buy given he put up over 300+ points.   With his pass catching ability I think the floor is more than safe enough as your RB1 and a great value considering his enormous upside that we saw last year.   Roto Pat's analysis of Freeman as an RB2/3 is crazy talk IMO.

In PPR if you take away 1/3rd of Devonte Freeman's fantasy points in 2015, he would of still been RB8 for the season and would of been RB7 on a per game average.  

Like most, I never saw it coming from Devonta Freeman.  But he put up such gaudy numbers that even adjusting for TD regression and a lessened load he still figures to put up RB1 production.   Now obviously that's assuming he's not a flash in the pan, which is hard for me to buy given he put up over 300+ points.   With his pass catching ability I think the floor is more than safe enough as your RB1 and a great value considering his enormous upside that we saw last year.   Roto Pat's analysis of Freeman as an RB2/3 is crazy talk IMO.
:lmao:

Nice insight
Check this thread about 8-9 months ago where I was telling everybody to sell Freeman and explained why. Pretty much predicted this. They could keep giving him volume but they aren't going to win doing that. He's not very good. 

I'm not worried about Freeman either. I think those supporting an increased role for Coleman are overlooking Freeman's 73 receptions. I don't think Coleman is known for his receiving ability which will limit his snaps. Freeman is truly a 3 down RB who produced very well. The Falcons are not going to just up and change that to a 50/50 split. I'll take a regression from Freeman and still be happy. 

Check this thread about 8-9 months ago where I was telling everybody to sell Freeman and explained why. Pretty much predicted this. They could keep giving him volume but they aren't going to win doing that. He's not very good. 
I'd probably also look back a year ago and see that you were touting Coleman over him last year too.  It's quite hilarious that you take a little bit of coach speak as gospel to declare any prediction accurate.   

I'd probably also look back a year ago and see that you were touting Coleman over him last year too.  It's quite hilarious that you take a little bit of coach speak as gospel to declare any prediction accurate.   
Meh you've never made a call like that in your life. It's happening. Just the fact the coach would say that about the "omg" #1 RB in FF is evidence he's not very good. Do you hear any coach speak about Gurley sharing half the workload? 

I called this a year ago. I was right. Get over it. 

Right? I also don't think anyone with half a brain drafted Freeman thinking he'd do what he did last year. I think we all realized Coleman would be worked in more and that risk was built in to Freeman's draft value.

This debate has gone on for far too long, get us to Sunday!

But seriously...Atlanta has the same head coach and the same offensive coordinator as last year.  So I think the question is, is this a major shift in coaching or simply coach speak?

Atlanta had a myriad of opportunities to play Coleman as a 50/50 or "hot hand" back last year.  They didn't.  They could have made Coleman the starter, particularly when Freeman missed three quarters of a game and the full next game with injury.  They didn't.  There's only two conclusions:  either Freeman was the "hot hand" last year or there was no committee approach.

I'm a bit skeptical that the exact same coaching staff will be engaging in wholesale strategic changes.

By all means Coleman should play more; he barely played at all when Freeman was healthy. I think it was pretty clear Freeman wore down last year.  Let's say this is a "hot hand" approach though:  based on all that we have to go on (last year), there's one player that succeeded in the passing game AND the pass blocking game, is built for goal line work and demonstrated ball security skills.

I think I'll go with that guy and not worry too much about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh you've never made a call like that in your life. It's happening. Just the fact the coach would say that about the "omg" #1 RB in FF is evidence he's not very good. Do you hear any coach speak about Gurley sharing half the workload? 

I called this a year ago. I was right. Get over it. 
What are you right about?  Also a link to some data that shows you were right about what ever you think you are right about.

What are you right about?  Also a link to some data that shows you were right about what ever you think you are right about.
Lol  :lmao:  

It's in this thread. I stated "trade him now". You could have gotten a kings ransom for a fraud. Nobody believed me. Now you have a 3rd down back you can't get a 1st for. 

It's in this thread. I stated "trade him now". You could have gotten a kings ransom for a fraud. Nobody believed me. Now you have a 3rd down back you can't get a 1st for. 
Do you really break out in to laughing fits this often?  

The problem with your thesis, even if it was true, is that nobody was giving a kings ransom for Freeman.  The groupthink on him has been and is that he is not likely to get the volume or raw production of 2015.  You are not some sage for thinking that Coleman would cut into his workload.  And we don't even know how much that means.  To say that he's a 3rd down back is ridiculous. 

I took 1/3rd of Freeman's production away for a reason, that would of put him at about a 50/50 split with Coleman which I think is very optimistic to begin with.  And even with that kind of drastic reduction, he still put up RB1 numbers on a season long and per game basis.  

Do you really break out in to laughing fits this often?  

The problem with your thesis, even if it was true, is that nobody was giving a kings ransom for Freeman.  The groupthink on him has been and is that he is not likely to get the volume or raw production of 2015.  You are not some sage for thinking that Coleman would cut into his workload.  And we don't even know how much that means.  To say that he's a 3rd down back is ridiculous. 

I took 1/3rd of Freeman's production away for a reason, that would of put him at about a 50/50 split with Coleman which I think is very optimistic to begin with.  And even with that kind of drastic reduction, he still put up RB1 numbers on a season long and per game basis.  
Whatever dude. I was saying it in the middle of his historic run. Good talk. 

Got a 2017 1st, a 2018 1st, and a 2016 2nd (TE Austin Hooper) from one of the worst teams in the league.

Whatever dude. I was saying it in the middle of his historic run. Good talk. 
I don't always trade studs, but when I do it's when they are in the middle of a historic run.  

ETA: Even during his historic run, nobody was giving a kings ransom for him.  I'm sorry that's delusion.

How does Coleman stack up to Freeman as it pertains to pass blocking/catching?
http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2016/preseason/tevin-coleman-breakaway-speed-vastly-overrated

"Unfortunately, what people remember is his (Coleman's) lack of proficiency in the passing game and three lost fumbles on the season. Coleman was never a great fit for Atlanta's zone blocking scheme, as quick cuts between tackles and vision are not strong points of his game. "

How does Coleman stack up to Freeman as it pertains to pass blocking/catching?
Coleman had more fumbles than catches his rookie year if that tells you anything. He may have improved some, but it certainly wasn't obvious in preseason.

Coleman had more fumbles than catches his rookie year if that tells you anything. He may have improved some, but it certainly wasn't obvious in preseason.
Savage.

Had three games with more than 9 touches. In those contest he went 55-238-0 and no receptions on 4 targets. One would presume he'll improve on his 22.2% catch rate as it's a small sample size. In college he caught 54 passes with a high of 25, no TDs for his career.

Wow, couldn't be more discouraged with Freeman. Figured it was OK if did get increased carries because Freeman was still going to get all the passing situation work and goal line. Never could have foreseen Coleman outplaying Freeman in the passing game as well.

Did he look as bad as the stat line or was Tampa D that stout? Doesn't appear Coleman did anything in the run game either based on stats.

He had a chance for a goal line TD that was negated by a false start (pushed them back from the one and it ended up in a pass TD). Having watched the game, Coleman had better breaks but Freeman was still relied on for short yardage. ATL offense looked pretty bad for most of the game though. Looks like it's going to be the split that we were promised. Still think Freeman is a quality RB2

Savage.

Had three games with more than 9 touches. In those contest he went 55-238-0 and no receptions on 4 targets. One would presume he'll improve on his 22.2% catch rate as it's a small sample size. In college he caught 54 passes with a high of 25, no TDs for his career.
He blew it up today, that's for sure. They were definitely committed to getting him space where he could use his break away speed to full effect. They were splitting him out wide in 3WR sets and all kinds if stuff.

He had a chance for a goal line TD that was negated by a false start (pushed them back from the one and it ended up in a pass TD). Having watched the game, Coleman had better breaks but Freeman was still relied on for short yardage. ATL offense looked pretty bad for most of the game though. Looks like it's going to be the split that we were promised. Still think Freeman is a quality RB2
This was the big takeaway for me.  Freeman had quite a few runs being met right after getting the ball.

I called this last year. LOLOLOL @tone1oc
Coleman played better yesterday.  Point for your take.  Freeman still had more touches and both were very ineffective in the run game.  Coleman popped off a few screen plays, credit to him but neither was effective in the run game, Kwon & Levonte were blowing up.   They were everywhere and made it tough sledding for the backs.  If Freeman isn't able to make plays he will cede more touches to Coleman.  Freeman also got the premium snaps RZ and Goal line touches.  Freeman has to play better for that to continue to happen, but he's still not a third down back.  

My best guess for this situation going forward is that this will be a true RBBC and will canabalize each other for fantasy purposes.   Obviously that would mean Freeman would struggle to return RB1 form.  

If you end up being right (we're still not there) that Coleman takes the reigns, no need to @ me, I will be the first to pat you on the back and I don't hide from my bad calls.  I very well could be wrong in my analysis of Freeman this year, but I'm not ready to give up after a week against studly LB peformance.  Ultimately, if choosing between a RBBC and Coleman being featured, I'd like for you to be right because I have more Coleman shares (3) than Freeman (1) with both of them in the same league I have Freeman.

Coleman played better yesterday.  Point for your take.  Freeman still had more touches and both were very ineffective in the run game.  Coleman popped off a few screen plays, credit to him but neither was effective in the run game, Kwon & Levonte were blowing up.   They were everywhere and made it tough sledding for the backs.  If Freeman isn't able to make plays he will cede more touches to Coleman.  Freeman also got the premium snaps RZ and Goal line touches.  Freeman has to play better for that to continue to happen, but he's still not a third down back.  

My best guess for this situation going forward is that this will be a true RBBC and will canabalize each other for fantasy purposes.   Obviously that would mean Freeman would struggle to return RB1 form.  

If you end up being right (we're still not there) that Coleman takes the reigns, no need to @ me, I will be the first to pat you on the back and I don't hide from my bad calls.  I very well could be wrong in my analysis of Freeman this year, but I'm not ready to give up after a week against studly LB peformance.  Ultimately, if choosing between a RBBC and Coleman being featured, I'd like for you to be right because I have more Coleman shares (3) than Freeman (1) with both of them in the same league I have Freeman.
Freeman has been playing bad for a while. Don't worry though I've been told I can't speak up when I hit so you won't hear a word from me again on this matter. Lolol

Freeman has been playing bad for a while. Don't worry though I've been told I can't speak up when I hit so you won't hear a word from me again on this matter. Lolol
I don't know if you are talking about me, but I def dont mean you can't speak up, just saying there is no need to directly @ me.  I'll give you props if you are indeed right.

That would be a huge relief.  You are a terrible poster, irrespective of your calls.
That's the type of trolling that won't be reported. Lolol nobody gonna come in here and say anything about that I suspect. 

Users who are viewing this thread