What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (2 Viewers)

BusterTBronco said:
Now we know.  Dont'a > Devonta
We also know that Devonta can't fully back up what he says about the offense being unstoppable.  And, Devonta was a big reason for the collapse starting with his missed blocking assignment which lead to the Ryan fumble.  

Devonta Freeman told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he wants "elite" running back money on a contract extension.

"I want to be the best," Freeman said. "I want to be elite paid. Whatever that is, that's where I want to be -- straight up." It's unclear what even elite running back money is these days, but Le'Veon Bell is currently the highest-paid at over $12 million on the franchise tag. But LeSean McCoy and Doug Martin are Nos. 2 and 3 at $8.01 million and $7.15 million, respectively. That's likely the area Freeman wants to get to, though the $6.5 million Lamar Miller got might make more sense. Freeman is hoping to land an extension sometime this summer.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 
May 17 - 12:45 PM

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said he is "confident" the organization will work out a long-term extension with walk-year RB Devonta Freeman.
"Like I've said before, we want him here and he's a very important part of our organization," Dimitroff said on SiriusXM's Schein on Sports. "We're ready in the relatively near future to have some discussions with their representation." Freeman recently told ESPN's Josina Anderson he wants "elite" running back money, but that apparently has not discouraged the general manager. Dimitroff previously identified training camp as the likely timeframe for a deal to be struck.

Source: SiriusXM Schein on Sports

Top 10, heck, top 7 RBs come and go each year, but Free remains. Easily the most unheralded RB in Fantasy. He will win titles for his owners this year. Love this guy.

shadyridr said:
I'd just like to commend you both for the perfectly timed bump to jinx him.
Dark and Matt Ryan are to blame, not me. GL jet sweeps to Taylor Gabriel?  Freeman open in the flats and over the middle play after play, only gets 3 targets really late in the game. 

Per Rotoworld:

Devonta Freeman has minor shoulder injury

Devonta Freeman will be limited in this week's practices with a minor shoulder injury.

Freeman's injury was initially deemed a "stinger." Whatever it is, it's not going to keep him out in Week 9 against the Panthers. Freeman is averaging just 11 carries over his past three games, an inexcusable number. OC Steve Sarkisian has to up his game.

What type of surgery would be so minor he could play the next week?  :shock:

traded for him 4 weeks ago, salivating at the saints twice in fantasy playoffs...

at this point is there anything to suggest he will bounce back soon? Am i msising something?, tempted to sell while I can with his name perhaps still inflating his actually trade value for the time being still

Last edited by a moderator:
traded for him 4 weeks ago, salivating at the saints twice in fantasy playoffs...

at this point is there anything to suggest he will bounce back soon? Am i msising something?, tempted to sell while I can with his name perhaps still inflating his actually trade value for the time being still
I'm stuck with him. I traded Gurley for Antonio straight up largely based on Freeman also being a legit #1. This may come back to haunt me. Although my WR core at the time was decimated.

As a Falcon fan...what I would tell you is Sarkisian has no idea how to use Freeman/Coleman together.  Their usage pattern has become completely predictable.  Plus, they’ve been neutered in the passing game.

In 29+ games last year (Coleman missed 3+)...they put up a 85/883/5 receiving line.

35/332/2 so far this year.

Fact is, Freeman is running well, volume is not there.  That said, his lack of usage is easily correlatable to the Falcons offensive woes, so you’d think it’d be easy enough to recognize ‘more Freeman’...but who knows....

As long as Suckisian is coordinator, freeman is unstartable. Went all in on this guy in 2 leagues & I'm screwed. How much do the idiot falcons have to watch of clown Suckisian before they figure out this guy is AWFUL!

This is such a dumb situation.  I own Freeman, but it's very clear that Sarkisian makes no attempt to get Coleman involved in the game plan, either.  38 throws and 16 RB carries in a game that was never out of hand, and in fact, a game that the Falcons led at one point 10-0 and for nearly the entire first half.

Thankfully the Falcons' 4-4 record and growing level of desperation can be a lever to force some changes, but all hoping at this point.

This is such a dumb situation.  I own Freeman, but it's very clear that Sarkisian makes no attempt to get Coleman involved in the game plan, either.  38 throws and 16 RB carries in a game that was never out of hand, and in fact, a game that the Falcons led at one point 10-0 and for nearly the entire first half.

Thankfully the Falcons' 4-4 record and growing level of desperation can be a lever to force some changes, but all hoping at this point.
What's even worse is his inability to seize momentum.  Case in point - Falcons up 10-0 and they take over from their own 3.

D.Freeman left guard to ATL 7 for 4 yards (K.Seymour).
M.Ryan pass short middle to D.Freeman to ATL 12 for 5 yards (L.Kuechly).
D.Freeman right tackle to ATL 14 for 2 yards (K.Seymour; L.Kuechly).
D.Freeman up the middle to ATL 34 for 20 yards (K.Coleman).
D.Freeman up the middle to ATL 38 for 4 yards (M.Adams).
M.Ryan pass short right to D.Freeman to ATL 40 for 2 yards (L.Kuechly; J.Peppers)
M.Ryan pass short left to A.Hooper to CAR 44 for 16 yards (T.Davis; K.Coleman)
PENALTY on CAR-S.Lotulelei, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 44 - No Play.

1st and 5 at CAR 39 - and so the Falcons have efficiently moved the ball 58 yards.  Freeman has been terrific on the drive.

T.Gabriel left end to CAR 36 for 3 yards (T.Davis)
T.Coleman up the middle to CAR 35 for 1 yard (T.Davis)
T.Coleman up the middle to CAR 35 for no gain (K.Short).

4th and 1 at CAR 35

(4:35 - 2nd) D.Freeman right guard to CAR 35 for no gain (K.Coleman; T.Davis). PENALTY on ATL-A.Hooper, Illegal Crackback, 15 yards, enforced at CAR 35.

If you watched the game, you could tell that Freeman was 'feeling' it.  His first down run to get 2 yards at the outset of the drive was classic shiftiness to squirm his way for the yardage - a Freeman special.  And then what does Sark do on 1st & 5...a cute end around.  And then Coleman, more of a banger one cut RB with 2 carries for a yard before the 4th down call where they telegraph bringing Freeman in.

his lack of usage
That explains his sub-par performance to this point in the season, sure.  But his coaching staff will have to see the error of their ways and do something about it for him to be RB3 ROS.  If they use him more, it's certainly possible, but nothing I've seen from this coaching staff makes me think they will see this and make the necessary adjustments.

The only thing Suckisian can coach is how to stay drunk on the sidelines, that's about it. The longer the head coach keeps him around the shorter his career will become.

That explains his sub-par performance to this point in the season, sure.  But his coaching staff will have to see the error of their ways and do something about it for him to be RB3 ROS.  If they use him more, it's certainly possible, but nothing I've seen from this coaching staff makes me think they will see this and make the necessary adjustments.
RB3 AKA not a top 24 RB. Not 3rd overall RB

What's even worse is his inability to seize momentum.  Case in point - Falcons up 10-0 and they take over from their own 3.

D.Freeman left guard to ATL 7 for 4 yards (K.Seymour).
M.Ryan pass short middle to D.Freeman to ATL 12 for 5 yards (L.Kuechly).
D.Freeman right tackle to ATL 14 for 2 yards (K.Seymour; L.Kuechly).
D.Freeman up the middle to ATL 34 for 20 yards (K.Coleman).
D.Freeman up the middle to ATL 38 for 4 yards (M.Adams).
M.Ryan pass short right to D.Freeman to ATL 40 for 2 yards (L.Kuechly; J.Peppers)
M.Ryan pass short left to A.Hooper to CAR 44 for 16 yards (T.Davis; K.Coleman)
PENALTY on CAR-S.Lotulelei, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 44 - No Play.

1st and 5 at CAR 39 - and so the Falcons have efficiently moved the ball 58 yards.  Freeman has been terrific on the drive.

T.Gabriel left end to CAR 36 for 3 yards (T.Davis)
T.Coleman up the middle to CAR 35 for 1 yard (T.Davis)
T.Coleman up the middle to CAR 35 for no gain (K.Short).

4th and 1 at CAR 35

(4:35 - 2nd) D.Freeman right guard to CAR 35 for no gain (K.Coleman; T.Davis). PENALTY on ATL-A.Hooper, Illegal Crackback, 15 yards, enforced at CAR 35.

If you watched the game, you could tell that Freeman was 'feeling' it.  His first down run to get 2 yards at the outset of the drive was classic shiftiness to squirm his way for the yardage - a Freeman special.  And then what does Sark do on 1st & 5...a cute end around.  And then Coleman, more of a banger one cut RB with 2 carries for a yard before the 4th down call where they telegraph bringing Freeman in.
There has become some much reluctance, league-wide to feeding a RB who is hot.   Saw the same thing in Oak-Miami last night.  Lynch was rolling in the 3rd quarter yet they kept getting cute when they needed to salt the game away.

There has become some much reluctance, league-wide to feeding a RB who is hot.   Saw the same thing in Oak-Miami last night.  Lynch was rolling in the 3rd quarter yet they kept getting cute when they needed to salt the game away.
While your observations of/comparison to Lynch’s use is spot on, is it really a sign of league-wide reluctance or simply a pair of coaches who have their collective heads up their rears in terms of managing their best RB’s talents.

While your observations of/comparison to Lynch’s use is spot on, is it really a sign of league-wide reluctance or simply a pair of coaches who have their collective heads up their rears in terms of managing their best RB’s talents.
Even good teams aren't doing this very well IMO.  Part of that is personnel, teams like GB and NE view the RB/OL positions as fairly interchangeable and lean on their future HOF QBs.  That makes sense.  But a lot of teams just can't effectively manage a lead.  They get too cute and it costs them.  Baltimore ran at least 5 play action/2 yard passes to their TEs yesterday in a close game. KC did way better on this earlier in the season...not so much the last few weeks.

DAL and PIT are really the out teams that can win either way yet purposefully grind it out.

Even good teams aren't doing this very well IMO.  Part of that is personnel, teams like GB and NE view the RB/OL positions as fairly interchangeable and lean on their future HOF QBs.  That makes sense.  But a lot of teams just can't effectively manage a lead.  They get too cute and it costs them.  Baltimore ran at least 5 play action/2 yard passes to their TEs yesterday in a close game. KC did way better on this earlier in the season...not so much the last few weeks.

DAL and PIT are really the out teams that can win either way yet purposefully grind it out.
NYG a perfect example.  Clear that Darkwa is the best RB on that team, almost by default.

I think in some cases, you have to be able to gauge to what degree your alpha RB can handle a full workload (Lamar Miller for instance).  But it's not just about utilization, it's about 'going with the flow' and sometimes getting out of the way.

Definitely been frustrating. I mean its obvious its Sark bringing the whole O down, right?

Just curious, whats his trade value right now? 

Have any of you traded for/away? And for whom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely been frustrating. I mean its obvious its Sark bringing the whole O down, right?

Just curious, whats his trade value right now? 

Have any of you traded for/away? And for whom.
Mostly, but had Ryan/Julio connected on either wide-open shots (they were the same route from Julio) we'd be signing a slightly different tune.

I know the monster game is coming, but I'm dangerously close to getting eliminated and this might be the first time I bench him in two years. The confounding thing is he seems to just start to heat up and they go away from him. I felt like he absolutely could have scored on the drive that Coleman got the TD. 

What am I missing here?  First time Freeman owner but what i can tell his 2017 is almost right on track with his 2016 divided by 2. 

2016/2017

Rush 1079/512

Carries 227/114

Td 11/5

Yds attempt 4.8/4.5

Receiving

Yards 462/137

Receptions 54/19

Td 2/0

Looks like he needs more receptions. Other than that on track for last year.

2016/2017

Rush 1079/512

Carries 227/114

Td 11/5

Yds attempt 4.8/4.5

Receiving

Yards 462/137

Receptions 54/19

Td 2/0

Looks like he needs more receptions. Other than that on track for last year.
In my 0.5 ppr league thats appx 3.5 points per game lower than last year. pretty significant. Thats like the difference between an RB1 & RB2.

Users who are viewing this thread