What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (1 Viewer)

with brady and suh back id have to think they are up against the cap....
Tampa estimated to be down to $7M in cap space after all their players it's announced they have signed ink their deals, this per Greg Auman yesterday.

It's over. Move on, people.
FFPC league were we have to make cuts by March 31. Hoping like heck he'd sign before, maybe land someplace good  so I can get a late or future second for him but otherwise I might poke around for a third on March 31 and if not  planning on just cutting him.

If the Steelers don't take a RB early in the draft, I could see them bringing Freeman in with a 2 year deal. Conner can't stay healthy and every day that goes by, Freeman gets cheaper.

Could be wrong but I don't think $ will be an issue with Freeman...he hit it big with his last deal and would think opportunity/winning are the biggest things he is looking (plus no one is gonna pay him much so it's probably a moot point)...Tampa would be a good fit for him, especially if they don't want to use a reasonably high pick at RB...Jones got benched for pass blocking as late as last December and with Brady at QB that area of his game is gonna be under the microscope that much more...Tampa definitely needs more depth at RB and Freeman could be a nice one year stopgap.

If the Steelers don't take a RB early in the draft, I could see them bringing Freeman in with a 2 year deal. Conner can't stay healthy and every day that goes by, Freeman gets cheaper.
they have Conner, Snell, and Samuels (though he's not really an RB)... figured if they were going to draft/sign someone it would be someone with some speed. Freeman doesn't make sense to me. Maybe McFarland or Darrynton Evans in the later rounds.

they have Conner, Snell, and Samuels (though he's not really an RB)... figured if they were going to draft/sign someone it would be someone with some speed. Freeman doesn't make sense to me. Maybe McFarland or Darrynton Evans in the later rounds.
I think Samuels is a cut casualty. He had his opportunity last year and bombed. He was/is considered to be their 3rd down guy. So I'm looking for someone with hands, not necessarily top notch speed. The local writers that I've been listening to think the Steelers first 3 positions to go in the draft will be WR, RB and OL. They have 1 2nd and 2 3rds. Of course they could use the 2nd rounder on a RB and all would be moot but I think they could possibly bring in a guy like Freeman to hedge their bets. I think they do like Snell but he's more or less just a pounder and I don't think they have any confidence that Conner can stay healthy.

Silence on his market. What's a good landing spot at this point? I'm thinking backup in AZ, Hou, Chi, Philly. Not a lot of RB needy teams at this juncture, but Freeman is a useful back still.

Tough market for Freeman. In a normal year he could wait for an injury in training camp or preseason, but that might not happen this year. There are some teams that seem to make sense, but at what point would teams make moves here? Figure we would maybe see a little flurry after the draft, maybe once teams get their rookies signed and know their cap situation something happens, or perhaps teams don’t want to sign dead money they might have to pay on a contract for an older player when there could possibly be a shortened or cancelled season. What would he cost? Vet minimum for 7 year player is $1.05 Million a year- teams may have to start considering significant lost revenue and spending a mil on an aging back might not be prudent. 

I still think Tampa Bay.  I know they just got Vaughan but don’t you think Brady would want a proven RB?
That would seem to be a real nice fit...Brady loves his veterans and Vaughn is an unknown and Jones was benched as late as December for pass protection issues...while his days of being a lead back are over he would be a nice fit here and probably come at the minimum...gotta believe playing for a potential winner would be appealing to him at this point in his career, especially since his last deal was a big one...San Fran could be a destination...he has ties to Shanahan and for a team that is committed to the run their backfield is a little bit of an odd one right now...Seattle is another team that fits the profile...they are committed to the run, a winner and right now it looks like Penney will miss the season and Carson is coming off an injury, they drafted Dallas but he is a complete wildcard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if this was expected to be a normal offseason the Chiefs would have already given Damien Williams an ultimatum to either take a salary cut or an "extension" with a lot of funny money at the end that he's likely never to see. They can say all the nice things they want in the media while those negotiations go on behind the scenes but imo you don't draft a RB in the 1st round of the NFL to be your third down back "competing" for carries. CEH will lead the team in touches if he's healthy. Period. To be completely honest $5+Mil was pretty high for a RB that finally had ~100 carries in a season even before CEH was drafted in the first round. KC is so tight against the cap they have to take the $4.5Mil in cap relief if they release him outright if he refuses a paycut.

Freeman AND Lamar Miller combined would cost KC half the amount it would cost to keep Damien Williams to end up playing second fiddle to CEH. Depending on what source you believe KC only has ~$3mil of cap space breathing room right now. Maybe Williams will do the smart thing and take a paycut but I can't help but think the Williams contract probably played a role in KC reaching for RB in the first round. Freeman or Miller or both should jump at the chance to make the minimum revive their career in one of the most RB friendly offenses in the NFL and maybe win a SB as a "bonus".

That wouldn't make fantasy owners happy but it makes the most football and salary cap sense for KC.

Adam Caplan was reporting that the Seahawks want to add Freeman because they aren't super optimistic with Penny right now but he's asking for too much money so they are holding their position

EDIT: found the link

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892629-seahawks-rumors-devonta-freeman-offered-contract-amid-rashaad-penny-injury
Makes sense.

I've been ending with Carson in the couple drafts I've done. Not even cuffing with Penny. (And I'm stout cuffer). I think there's next to no shot he's ready to go Week 1 in league starts on tiem.

My prediction is Tampa Bay brings him into the mix.
I have been banging this drum all off season. There is no way TB goes into the season with the RB group they currently have, protecting Brady and giving him an elite receiving RB should be priority one. The rookie Vaughn or RoJo  do not seem to be the logical solution  :shrug:

At this stage, he may be the first guy on the Rolodex when a starter gets hurt.
At this stage, if he's still balking at $4mil from a playoff team it seems difficult to imagine he'll be on a roster whenever week #1 is.

Of course, if we do see a shortened camp/preseason situation it would be inevitable there would be many more injuries than normal so maybe that's a good gamble on his part.

He's not really "missing" anything right now until there is contact practices. He's a veteran who has played in multiple NFL offenses at this point and he plays at a position where rookies routinely play a huge part so I'm fairly confident he could digest a playbook fairly quickly. 

At this stage, if he's still balking at $4mil from a playoff team it seems difficult to imagine he'll be on a roster whenever week #1 is.

Of course, if we do see a shortened camp/preseason situation it would be inevitable there would be many more injuries than normal so maybe that's a good gamble on his part.

He's not really "missing" anything right now until there is contact practices. He's a veteran who has played in multiple NFL offenses at this point and he plays at a position where rookies routinely play a huge part so I'm fairly confident he could digest a playbook fairly quickly. 
I'm surprised by him turning down $4 mil to play with a contender...that is good money and he's coming off of a very nice deal so you would think opportunity to play/win a championship is more important then the money (but maybe that is not the case)...looking at this my guess is he has a few options and is willing to ride this out a little longer.

DEVONTA FREEMAN RB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Tim McManus the Eagles hope to sign a veteran running back and are focusing on Devonta Freeman, Carlos Hyde and LeSean McCoy. 

The Eagles had already been linked to Hyde and Shady, but Freeman is new. SiriusXM's Adam Caplan reported Wednesday that Freeman is also drawing interest from the Seahawks, while McManus links him to the Jets. Freeman's market was quiet for over two months following his release from the Falcons but is finally picking up. He would not be a major threat to Miles Sanders' RB1/2 candidacy in Philly. 

RELATED: 

Carlos Hyde

, LeSean McCoy

, Philadelphia Eagles

, New York Jets

SOURCE: ESPN

May 21, 2020, 3:54 PM ET

Leveon Bell-Frank Gore-Devonta Freeman...I think Gase won a fantasy title with these guys four years ago and this is his way of saying thank you.

dmac37 said:
I have been banging this drum all off season. There is no way TB goes into the season with the RB group they currently have, protecting Brady and giving him an elite receiving RB should be priority one. The rookie Vaughn or RoJo  do not seem to be the logical solution  :shrug:
This would make a ton of sense.

This is what it looks like when a player doesn't give it his all after a big contract and is sidelined with hang nails. Teams have plenty of better options than paying a guy who isn't giving 100%  anymore.

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports free agent Devonta Freeman is willing to skip the 2020 season if he does not get the contract he is looking for. 

Freeman was reportedly offered the same contract Carlos Hyde just signed with the Seahawks, but he turned it down. Hyde can earn "up to" $4 million. The base is probably in the $1-$1.5 million range. It's one thing for Freeman to reject that offer, but it's another to think he could do much better. Now 28 and unable to stay healthy since 2016, Freeman will be risking turning the lights out on his career if he doesn't play this year. He has also drawn interest from the Eagles and Jets.  

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter 

May 22, 2020, 7:00 PM ET

Well he’s done then. He’s not getting paid big money again and his waffling only lowers his value to teams, as it seems his heart isn’t in it

Another example of one's inflated view of himself that isn't justified. 
Word is he has invested his career earnings well and doesnt need to play from a financial perspective.  He has a price that its worth it to him and doesnt care to sacrifice his body for less.  More players should follow this blueprint.  Always up to the player whether he wants to put his body on the line but you can take a more logical approach to the decision if you can remove the "need" for money from the equation.  Hes simply decided $1-$1.5m guaranteed isn't enough.

My prediction is Tampa Bay brings him into the mix.
But how does Tampa handle their cap situation? Spotrac says they have $3.75M and OverTheCap says they have $4.87M. But they need $2.1M for the practice squad and every team needs to keep some cap space in reserve for IR replacements. Given those two things, they are already short. I don't follow Tampa, are there cap moves still to make to clear space (e.g., cap casualties, contract extensions, etc.)?

Word is he has invested his career earnings well and doesnt need to play from a financial perspective.  He has a price that its worth it to him and doesnt care to sacrifice his body for less.  More players should follow this blueprint.  Always up to the player whether he wants to put his body on the line but you can take a more logical approach to the decision if you can remove the "need" for money from the equation.  Hes simply decided $1-$1.5m guaranteed isn't enough.
If so, good for him. Commendable to save the huge money that players can make for a brief time and then not have to play for an amount unsuitable to him. Guessing he’s going to get an offer that’s a little better than Seattle’s sometime soon. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/devonta-freeman-willing-to-sit-out-2020-if-no-nfl-team-meets-his-asking-price-per-report/

If he is digging in his heels there's a real good chance he won't play again...I think he would be a nice addition to a contender but if he is looking for real money he won't have many (if any) takers...he is absolutely not in a position to be making big contract demands...makes zero sense for anyone to give him real money.
Curious what his number is, but there's a huge difference between real $ and a $1MM flyer offer Seattle gave him.

Curious what his number is, but there's a huge difference between real $ and a $1MM flyer offer Seattle gave him.
If he has the ability to make 4 mil that is pretty real...granted it is incentive-based but that is pretty much the world he is in at this point of his career.

Vandelay said:
Yes, he is.  He has saved enough money that he will only put his body on the line if he is offered a certain amount.  We should all aspire to reach that position in life.
NFL team purses don't care about how much money Freeman has saved. That doesn't give him leverage.   If he wants to retire, then retire. 

NFL team purses don't care about how much money Freeman has saved. That doesn't give him leverage.   If he wants to retire, then retire. 
It doesn't give him leverage with teams, but it gives him leverage in life. He doesn't have to play, so if no offer he deems good enough comes in he can hang 'em up and be set financially.  I'd like to see if he has anything left in the tank personally, he was fun to watch when he was at his best (which was admittedly a few years ago.)

I think you're struggling to understand there can be a middle ground.  Hes not a robot.  He'll play if he gets offered what he thinks he's worth.  If it doesn't happen, he won't play.  He's not obligated to be an NfLPlAyEr.

I think you're struggling to understand there can be a middle ground.  Hes not a robot.  He'll play if he gets offered what he thinks he's worth.  If it doesn't happen, he won't play.  He's not obligated to be an NfLPlAyEr.
He's a player with, at this point, easily replaceable skills for less price than he's charging.

It's a semantic debate but while he has options, he does not have leverage.

He's a player with, at this point, easily replaceable skills for less price than he's charging.

It's a semantic debate but while he has options, he does not have leverage.
Sure, but I didn't say he has leverage.  The notion that he should just retire is premature as this is the first offseason he's not under contract.  Personally I wouldn't want my team paying him 3, 4 million.  I just dont get this idea that he is obligated to take some small contract for the privilege of 150 car crashes next year.  

Sure, but I didn't say he has leverage.  The notion that he should just retire is premature as this is the first offseason he's not under contract.  Personally I wouldn't want my team paying him 3, 4 million.  I just dont get this idea that he is obligated to take some small contract for the privilege of 150 car crashes next year.  
What you are failing to understand is that the money that Freeman will get is  what the market says he is worth.  If that is less than Freeman is willing to play for, then so be it.  If you do understand all of this, then there is nothing to argue about.

What you are failing to understand is that the money that Freeman will get is  what the market says he is worth.  If that is less than Freeman is willing to play for, then so be it.
I definitely understand that.  He may not play again.  He is fine with that outcome.  He's achieved a Fight Club level mindset.

I definitely understand that.  He may not play again.  He is fine with that outcome.  He's achieved a Fight Club level mindset.
Good for him and his family.  Playing fantasy football I don't care, because I don't own any shares.  There's nothing more for me to say on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread