Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
zed2283

Devonta Freeman, RB (NYG)

18 hours ago, Manster said:

So how bad is the OL really?  They looked bad in the first two, obviously.  Can they get better?  I have no clue about them other than they graded to middle/lower of the OL's and Solder opted out.

It was one thing when they were installing a 1st round rookie opposite Solder. Attempting to do so across from a journeyman in this particular offseason was never feasible. Yes, they can get better. I wouldn't expect it though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanner9919 said:

there's little or no fantasy value in any Giants RB the remainder of the season. stacked boxes, make danny dimes beat you.

lousy line, poor play calling, general fecklessness. look elsewhere

I don't disagree with this sentiment, other than a lot can happen in the next few weeks......we are seeing a huge amount of guys injured, and it's not like the NFC East has good D's, other than maybe the skins.

2 minutes ago, Manster said:

I don't disagree with this sentiment, other than a lot can happen in the next few weeks......we are seeing a huge amount of guys injured, and it's not like the NFC East has good D's, other than maybe the skins.

Who are these skins you speak of?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Who are these skins you speak of?

Sorry....... the Washington Football Team of Washington DC

Giants RB Devonta Freeman is active for Week 3 against the 49ers.

Freeman will join a potential committee with pass-catcher Dion Lewis and thumper Wayne Gallman. It's uncertain how Week 3 touches and snaps will be handled with Freeman only practicing a few times with his new team, but he's the best bet to lead this backfield once he gets caught up with the playbook. For now, Lewis is the touch favorite but only as a PPR flex. The Giants declared CB Brandon Williams, DB Adrian Colbert, LB TJ Brunson, OT Jackson Barton, TE Eric Tomlinson, and DL RJ McIntosh as inactive.

Sep 27, 2020, 11:38 AM ET

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports Giants RB Devonta Freeman will start in Week 4 against the Rams.

Freeman managed just 10 yards on fives rushes last week. Wayne Gallman saw four carries while Dion Lewis earned a single rush. Lewis will continue to serve as the pass-catching back for the Giants but this backfield doesn't feature any player worth starting in fantasy leagues. The Giants still project to use a committee approach and Freeman won't be involved enough as a receiver to push into RB3 or flex territory.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Oct 4, 2020, 11:12 AM ET

Posted (edited)

Devonta Freeman rushed 11 times for 33 yards in the Giants' Week 4 loss to the Rams, adding four catches for 35 yards. 

Freeman led the backfield in touches against LA after seeing five rushes last week. It could be the start of the veteran's takeover of the New York backfield. Freeman could be an interesting PPR option in Week 5 against the Cowboys. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Well I need a last minute sub for Gordon now.. Wondering what y'all think of Freeman. Dallas in intriguing after they got destroyed by the run last week. But its not clear if Gallman has earned more, or if Freeman will get more this week. Any Giants homers have any insights?

42 minutes ago, Mag1234 said:

Well I need a last minute sub for Gordon now.. Wondering what y'all think of Freeman. Dallas in intriguing after they got destroyed by the run last week. But its not clear if Gallman has earned more, or if Freeman will get more this week. Any Giants homers have any insights?

Not a Giants homer but I  have him on my bench in 2 leagues so I have been monitoring him semi closely and it sounds like they think he is now up to speed on the playbook. I expect inconsistency from him and wouldn't start him in non PPR leagues.  

Thought he looked pretty solid last night. Showed his RB2 upside. Still plenty of juice in those legs for anyone worried about that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YoUnG GuNz said:

Thought he looked pretty solid last night. Showed his RB2 upside. Still plenty of juice in those legs for anyone worried about that.

I thought so as well even if grading out on a curve due to defense.

Maybe the juice will dry up the more you try and squeeze from him but volume is what you want to see, a few more passes would be nice but it's what you want to see.

The path to being a solid RB2 in PPR is not a high bar with the right volume. Catch 3.5 passes for about 25 yards a game, rush for 50 a game and be on a TD pace to score once every other game and that right there is a rock solid PPR RB2.

Giants RB Devonta Freeman led all New York running backs with 54 percent of the team's offensive snaps in Week 5. 

Freeman had a useful fantasy outing against Dallas, rushing 17 times for 60 yards and a touchdown and catching two balls for 27 yards on three targets. Meanwhile, Wayne Gallman played 18 percent of the Giants' snaps against the Cowboys. Dion Lewis played 29 percent. Freeman could end up being a savvy pickup for running back-needy fantasy players. He'll continue to be a volume-based option in Week 6 against Washington. 

RELATED: 

Wayne Gallman

, Dion Lewis

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter 

Oct 12, 2020, 9:04 AM ET

Devonta Freeman rushed 18 times for 61 yards in the Giants' Week 6 win over Washington.

Freeman also added one catch for -4 yards on two targets. His stat line doesn't show an impressive game but the market share numbers tell a different story. Freeman was the only Giants back to record a carry and Dion Lewis added one catch on his only target. Wayne Gallman did not record a carry or target. Freeman's problem will be the Giants' offense. New York has topped 20 points in one game this year. That game was versus the Dallas defense. He'll need to find the end zone to be more than a steady RB2 in the coming weeks.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

Devonta Freeman rushed three times for eight yards in the Giants' Week 7 loss to the Eagles, departing in the third quarter with an ankle injury. 

Freeman was announced as questionable but never returned. He was injured getting driven through the crust of the earth on an attempted blitz pickup. The play could have been even more disastrous for the Giants, as Freeman was pushed back into Daniel Jones' legs. Thankfully Danny was alright. In Freeman's absence, Wayne Gallman showed a decent amount of pop, gaining yards in obvious running situations. Freeman has 11 days to heal up for the Giants' Week 8 Monday night date with the Bucs, but his injury and the Bucs' defensive feistiness will make him impossible to trust as a FLEX if he's healthy enough to play. 

Oct 23, 2020, 12:00 AM ET

16 hours ago, Faust said:

Driven through the crust of the earth on a HOLDING PENALTY.

FIFY

Edited by VikingFrog
Missed a word
  • Like 1

Does anyone think Gallman is a worthy play the in the weeks after their bye?  He plays Wash, Phil, Bengals after the Bucs?  Devonta looks to be bench material at this point.  Gallman played pretty well at the end of last year when Saquon went down.

Freeman was hurt. If i had to guess it’s still his backfield.  

Edited by ahartig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ahartig said:

Freeman was hurt. If i had to guess it’s still his backfield.  

Agree with this but really he is a guy I'm not looking to start but with Covid byes and injuries he becomes the ugly girl you take to prom if you have too.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, osubuckeyeman said:

Agree with this but really he is a guy I'm not looking to start but with Covid byes and injuries he becomes the ugly girl you take to prom if you have too.

Sad but true 

4 hours ago, osubuckeyeman said:

Dropping him.

He's banged up and the schedule doesn't look favorable either: TB, @WASH, PHI.

No way I'd start him at TB (if healthy) and the next two opponents aren't push overs either. And who knows, we could see more of a Freeman/Gallman mix now.

No thanks.

^ all true. Schedule sucks. I can’t bring myself to drop him though. If he stops getting 15-20 touches a game the it’s a different story. He will be on my bench the next few weeks

Giants RB Devonta Freeman (ankle) did not practice Tuesday. 

Freeman worked off to the side during the Giants' Tuesday practice. He left the team's Week 7 game against the Eagles with the ankle injury and did not return. Wayne Gallman would be the favorite to absorb Freeman's workload if Freeman can't practice this week and misses Monday night's game against Tampa. Gallman had ten rushes and five targets last week after Freeman exited the game. 

RELATED: 

Wayne Gallman

SOURCE: Zack Blatt on Twitter 

Oct 27, 2020, 12:23 PM ET

Devonta Freeman (ankle) was absent from Thursday's practice. 

This is the Giants' first official injury report of the week since they are playing on Monday night against the Bucs. Freeman has already had a week to rest up, so the fact that he is not yet practicing suggests he will be an extremely long shot to go for Week 8. It will be a thankless job vs. an elite run defense, but Wayne Gallman will be the lead back against Tom Brady and company. He will have desperation top-30 appeal. 

RELATED: 

Wayne Gallman

Oct 29, 2020, 4:30 PM ET

Giants RB Devonta Freeman (ankle) did not practice Friday. 

It would now be stunning if Freeman played Monday night against the Bucs. He hasn't practiced all week after hurting his ankle in Week 7 against the Eagles. It's a shame, as the veteran had taken over as the Giants' primary back. Wayne Gallman took over for Freeman last week, getting 10 carries and five targets. Gallman could be a RB3 play this week against Tampa for running back-thirsty fantasy managers. You could do worse. Maybe. 

RELATED: 

Wayne Gallman

SOURCE: Zack Rosenblatt on Twitter 

Oct 30, 2020, 3:44 PM ET

Giants RB Devonta Freeman (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 8 against the Bucs.

That means Wayne Gallman should inherit the 15-plus touches Freeman has seen in his last three full games played. As with most weeks, it might be smart to avoid all Giants in a game where they are expected to see a very negative script against a top three defense. Still, the running back position is a pit of despair in Week 8 that the secured touches might be more enticing than usual.

RELATED: 

Wayne Gallman

Oct 31, 2020, 2:47 PM ET

Devonta Freeman (ankle) returned to practice Thursday.

Freeman's absence Monday night allowed the Giants to 'brilliantly' split work between Wayne Gallman (32 snaps), Dion Lewis (21) and Alfred Morris (21). There is clearly no correct answer about who to roster if Freeman misses another game. With 68% of the team's backfield touches in his last start prior to injury, Freeman would return to the field as a usage-based RB3/4 the moment he's cleared.

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter

Nov 5, 2020, 12:49 PM ET

Giants RB Devonta Freeman aggravated his ankle injury during Thursday's practice. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Freeman still hopes to play Sunday against the Eagles after missing two games with the ankle issue. Freeman had taken over as the primary back in the Giants' backfield before hurting his ankle in Week 7 against the Eagles. Wayne Gallman would get another chance to be the team's lead back this week if Freeman can't suit up. 

RELATED: 

Wayne Gallman

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 12, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status/1327334285473411076

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoSNY

Giants RB Devonta Freeman now has a hamstring injury to go with his ankle injury and he is likely headed to injured reserve.

Giants placed Devonta Freeman (ankle, hamstring) on injured reserve.

Freeman injured his hamstring at practice mid-week and, rather than returning as expected, will instead miss the next three games (at minimum). Wayne Gallman has out-touched Alfred Morris 28-18 in two spot starts for Freeman and will continue being used as the team's primary back both between the 20's and inside the 10-yard line. Consider Gallman a usage-based RB2/3 behind one of the league's most underwhelming o-lines until Freeman returns.

- Art Stapleton

Edited by The Frankman

Probably a dumb question but with the bye week next week, is Freeman on IR through week 12 or week 13?  Considering a trade for Gallman who is putting up some nice numbers of late.