What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Andre Johnson, Titans (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Frustrated Andre Johnson wonders: ‘Is this still the place for me?’

Texans star Andre Johnson is frustrated and wonders, “is this still the place for me?”

Johnson missed last week’s first workout with new Texans coach Bill O’Brien, and addressed the situation for the first time at a charity event on Tuesday.

Johnson said he has not requested a trade but also said he does not plan to attend OTAs and mini-camp.

He said he’s in a “situation” and added, will see “what happens.”

He said he has talked to the Texans about once a week.

The Texans went 2-14 last season, leading to the firing of Gary Kubiak and O’Brien’s arrival.

“This offseason has been very frustrating for me,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson doesn't plan to attend OTAs or minicamp and said he's been "wondering if [Houston] is the place for him."
Johnson mentioned the losing has been frustrating him and also pointed to the fact that he's on his third head coach in 12 seasons. The soon-to-be 33-year-old has been the ultimate pro since being the No. 3 overall pick in 2003, but he might be reaching a boiling point. The Texans did nothing to upgrade their quarterback situation and arguably got worse by replacing Matt Schaub with Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tom Savage. Johnson has three years left on his deal and is set to count over $15 million against the cap in 2014. His contract would be hard to trade.

Source: Tania Ganguli on Twitter
Andre Johnson skipped last week's voluntary workouts because he was reportedly occupied with other business.

It was a little odd that Johnson didn't show because he rarely misses workouts and new coach Bill O'Brien is installing his new scheme. But sources tell the Houston Chronicle that no message was being sent. The bigger concern for O'Brien and Johnson is the quarterback depth chart, which currently reads 1) Ryan Fitzpatrick, 2) Tom Savage, 3) Case Keenum, 4) T.J. Yates.

May 12 - 10:43 AM

Source: Houston Chronicle
Andre Johnson did not show up for the first day of voluntary minicamp Tuesday.

It's only notable because Johnson rarely misses workouts and the Texans are installing a new scheme under first-year head coach Bill O'Brien. Regardless, the team doesn't seem concerned. "(Participation) is voluntary. We just coach who shows up," O'Brien said.

May 7 - 9:54 AM

Andre Johnson said he's not thinking about retiring anytime soon.

Johnson will turn 33 years old in July, but continues to play at an elite level. Despite suffering through poor quarterback play last season, he ranked third in catches (109), seventh in yards (1407), sixth in catches of 20+ yards (20) and second in catches for a first down (69). "Everybody knows that day when it's over," he said. "When that day comes, I'll have no problem stepping away. But right now I feel fine. I feel like I still have a few more years left in me." Johnson is under contract through the 2016 season.

Feb 19 - 8:29 AM

@evansilva

#Browns OC Kyle Shanahan spent 4 years on the #Texans coaching staff with Andre Johnson, and was his position coach in 2006 & OC in 2008-09.
@ChrisWesseling

Just discussed Andre Johnson's trade value with ATL crew. We think a 2nd-rounder is fair, but Texans won't be motivated enough to do it.
@ChrisWesseling

The Hall of Fame ones. Falcons never regretted Tony Gonzalez trade RT @itsjoeg: how many 32 year old WR's warrant a 2nd round pick, though?

A second rounder for Andre seems more than fair given his age. Not sure why HOU would turn that down so quickly.

Andre Johnson on Texans: ‘Is this still the place for me?’By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Andre Johnson is not a happy man.

The Houston Texans wide receiver sat out of the first team workouts with new coach Bill O'Brien, and now we know why: Johnson is upset with the direction of the franchise following a 2-14 debacle in 2013.

Johnson said he doesn't plan to attend organized team activities and mini-camp. He hasn't requested a trade, but wondered at a charity event on Tuesday, "is this still the place for me?"

"This offseason has been very frustrating for me," Johnson said, via the Houston Chronicle.

Johnson's comments come three days after the conclusion of a draft in which the Texans didn't address the quarterback position until the selection of Tom Savage with the 135th overall pick. The team selected linebacker Jadeveon Clowney with the first pick of Round 1.

This isn't the first time Johnson has expressed his displeasure with the Texans, though the time element involved makes this a potentially different situation. Johnson will turn 33 in July and knows his time as an elite playmaker won't last forever.

If the Texans can't help him get to his first Super Bowl, it sounds like Johnson wants to go to a team that can. We're sure there's more than a few contenders that would welcome him with open arms.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

I would think it has to be hard to go through a rebuild late in his career and seeing the team not do much to address the QB situation. He might feel a lot of loyalty to the Kubiak regime as well. He sounds kinda salty here but has always seemed like a standup guy, unless maybe you hold the Cortland Finnegan incident against him (I personally don't).

I dont blame him for not wanting to rebuild at his age. Wish we couldve had better teams and QBs for him so I wish him well regardless....he has represented us well.

Rotoworld:

Elaborating on his future in Houston, Andre Johnson said "I’ll make my decision and go from there."
"I’m just taking some time, thinking about some things," Johnson said. The implication being, Johnson believes the decision is in his hands. It's an obvious sign he could eventually demand a trade. Johnson isn't planning to attend OTAs or minicamp, and has openly wondered about his future in Houston. He called the Texans' offseason "very frustrating." For a trade demand to work, Johnson might have to go full Carson Palmer and sit out.

Andre Johnson, Texans face salary-cap hurdle for tradeBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Now that Andre Johnson is questioning his future in Houston, fans around the league are wondering if their team might strike up trade talks with the Texans.

After much spirited discussion factoring in talent, age, injury history, demonstrated production and salary, the Around The League crew has tentatively placed Johnson's trade value at a second-round draft pick.

A seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver himself, Johnson is at the same age as future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez when the Falcons acquired the tight end for a second-round pick in 2009. Atlanta never regretted that trade.

Although there are Texans fans who believe the franchise icon deserves to be set free to join a contender, we remain skeptical that the team's brass will be motivated enough to pull the trigger unless Johnson turns himself into a nuisance of Eagles-era Terrell Owens proportions.

If the Texans were inclined to field offers for the NFL's second-most productive wide receiver over the past two seasons, salary-cap repercussions still present a formidable hurdle.

A Johnson trade would leave $11.96 million in dead money against the Texans' 2014 cap, per NFL Media's Albert Breer. Perhaps just as prohibitive, a prospective suitor would need the space to absorb Johnson's monstrous contract.

The receiver-needy Browns are one of the few teams capable of meeting that qualification, but that would hardly satisfy Johnson's desire to join an instant contender.

It's going to be quite challenging to find a match that suits the Texans' need for fair compensation, Johnson's wishes and the third party's cap situation.

For those reasons, we believe Johnson will be catching passes in new coach Bill O'Brien's offense come September.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

@taniaganguli

New team would take on a lot if the #Texans traded Andre Johnson. His cap figure is $15.6 this year after hitting a $3.5 million escalator.
I know she is the Texans beat writer but I don't think she is presenting this information accurately

His cap number to the Houston Texans is $15.6 million because it's a taking into account $4.664 million of a prorated bonus and a $1,000,000 roster bonus. His base salary is $10 million and that's the cap figure any team acquiring would have to deal with, not $15.6. Plus any team that acquired him could easily re-work his deal.

He's still playing at a high level but from I've researched it looks like they'd save about $3.8 million on the cap this year if they traded him. I think most would agree Andre is worth $3.8 million to the Texans this year but by they would also free themselves up from the $30 million cap hit Andre will total in 2015 and 2016.

So with all due respect to Texans beat writers who know more about the team than I do, I don't see his salary as being an obstacle to a trade if it's what Andre wants.

The Texans need to realize that they are not a contender and won't be during the rest of Andre's career. So if they keep him, they get nothing out of him but stats. Trading him is the smart move but so many of these GMs think they are closer to a SB than they really are.

He's not pleased but I don't think he'd be any more happy going to team who is not a prennial winner based on what he says.

"...the team didn't make the playoffs until his fifth. At 32 -- 33 in July -- Johnson can't wait five more years to make the playoffs.

Johnson doesn't think Houston is building a contender, either, saying that the team's offseason moves have been "very frustrating."

"I just look at my career ... I've only been to the playoffs twice. I think we've only had three winning seasons," Johnson said. "I don't think any player wants to experience that. I think over time it can become very frustrating. And this offseason has been very frustrating for me; beginning of the offseason, I should say. That's just kind of where I'm at right now."
He's a great talent and he wants to play on a contender. He is angling for a New England or Denver or Seattle/San Fran landing spot to ride off into the sunset with a SB.

Can't blame him but for the teams in need who don't fit the profile I don't think you'd want him because the price to acquire him and the cap hit would be excessive and he has framed what he wants and why he's not a happy camper so that is what you'd get.

Basically I wish him well but I honestly wouldn't want the Browns to go after him because that cap hit and the draft price that Houston would demand and the fact you'd get a guy who wouldn't be happy and who is already 33 years old.

That whole speel doesn't excite me at all. Thanks but no thanks.

The Texans need to realize that they are not a contender and won't be during the rest of Andre's career. So if they keep him, they get nothing out of him but stats. Trading him is the smart move but so many of these GMs think they are closer to a SB than they really are.
Is this true? They play in a relatively weak division and have tons of talent on the defense. I'm not saying this team is going deep in the playoffs but I could see a very Cheifs-like bounceback for them.

3 years is a long time in the NFL

Is this true? They play in a relatively weak division and have tons of talent on the defense. I'm not saying this team is going deep in the playoffs but I could see a very Cheifs-like bounceback for them.

3 years is a long time in the NFL
Just my humble opinion, but Bob McNair would also likely factor in to any decision. I'm not going to go looking up links, but McNair has strong feelings about Andre's meaning to the franchise. He thinks Andre is the franchise's first Hall of Famer. They've redone his contract at times when the team would refuse to negotiate with any other player, and generally done anything they can do to keep him happy. Bill O'Brien may very well be open to moving him but it won't be such an easy move for McNair to stomach. I don't doubt Andre is upset but my feeling is McNair does whatever it takes to smooth things over...

Rotoworld:

If Andre Johnson is traded before June 1, the Texans would save $3.68 million against the cap.
A trade would leave behind $11.96 million in dead money, but it would still save the Texans a little cap room this year and a lot in 2015. The real problem will be finding a trade partner. Johnson turns 33 in July and still has $34.5 million remaining on a deal that runs through 2016. The Browns are one team that has a desperate need at wide receiver, cap room, and are also a schematic fit. New OC Kyle Shanahan spent four years coaching Johnson in Houston.

Related: Browns

Source: Overthecap.com

A primer for when/if the Texans trade Andre JohnsonPat Kirwan

Andre Johnson hears "Father Time" ticking and he once again is looking up at a big mountain to climb in Houston and doesn't know if he feels like taking on another rebuilding project.

Understandable, considering Bill O'Brien is the fourth head coach of the Texans since Johnson arrived 11 years ago.

If he plays for Houston this year, the eldest statesman of the team will probably be at the receiving end of his fourth and most likely fifth different quarterback in three seasons. Over the past two years the soon-to-be 33-year-old receiver had Matt Schaub, T.J. Yates and Case Keenum throwing to him and still managed 233 receptions and nine touchdowns to say nothing of the 157 receptions that went for first downs and 24 for more than 25 yards.

Johnson signed a big contract a few years ago and doesn't really have much leverage if he really wants out of Houston but it is possible if a number of things come together. Andre Johnson still has three years left on his deal for a grand total of $34.5 million, which is a positive and a negative at the same time.

Let's look at the questions that have come up since Andre Johnson's comments Tuesday:

Is there a situation recently this reminds you of? What would a compensation package look like for Houston? I think the Texans would go back and look at what the Kansas City Chiefs got in the Tony Gonzalez trade to Atlanta. The Chiefs got a second-round pick for a 33-year old tight end that in the two seasons leading up to the trade had 195 receptions, 15 touchdowns, 126 first downs and 10 receptions over 25 yards. If Johnson could ever duplicate what Gonzalez did in Atlanta (five years, 428 receptions, 37 touchdowns, 281 first downs) he would be worth every bit of compensation. If the Texans could get a second-round pick or a combination of a young player or two and a third- or fourth- round pick a deal would make sense.

What are the possible landing spots? At this point in Johnson's career he doesn't want to go to another rebuild situation so I would eliminate teams like the Browns, Jaguars, Raiders and Titans even though all of the teams mentioned have plenty of salary cap space and a real need for a player like Johnson. Andre Johnson needs to go to a team with a solid quarterback situation and a strong contender for the postseason. Teams like New England, Carolina and Kansas City have to get strong consideration.

Would he be willing to restructure his contract? None of the three teams mentioned for consideration have the kind of salary-cap space to take on Johnson's contract. Keep in mind every team in the league has to get their rookies signed, which will take its toll on remaining cap space. As of now the Patriots have $7.7 million, Carolina has $5.7 million and the Chiefs have $4.4 million. A trade for Johnson would be an immediate $11 million cap hit and only 10 teams in the NFL could incur that hit without an adjustment. Of those 11 teams, I don't believe Johnson wants to go to any of those teams or that they would have little interest in him. If Johnson really wants to move on he has to restructure and strongly consider a pay cut as well. Johnson has made more than $30 million in the past four years and has been a high-priced player for all 11 years of his career. A willingness to do a cap friendly deal that averages $7million to $8 million a year but has a first-year cap number closer to $4 million-$5 million could put him on a real playoff contender.

How much gas is left in the tank? Wide receivers aren't like running backs as they can play at a high level well in to their 30s. Terrell Owens played four more years after he turned 33 and caught 277 passes and 39 touchdowns. Marvin Harrison played three more years had 175 receptions and 18 touchdowns. Art Monk is a Hall of Fame receiver who I signed well past his 33rd birthday and from 33 to the end he caught 210 passes and 16 touchdowns. Andre Johnson with a top-flight quarterback should project to 200-plus reception over the next three seasons at a minimum considering the great care he takes of himself and what he has done with less than elite quarterbacks.

What's the timetable? The Texans really shouldn't move Johnson until they get to June 1st so they can split up the dead money issue facing them. Houston has $12.5 million of cap space and could absorb the whole $11 million cap hit but is better off taking a $4 million hit this year and a $7 million hit next year.

What if you can't get a second-round pick? If New England was involved I would want a wide receiver like Aaron Dobson and a third-round pick. If Carolina was the team then I would want a linebacker like A.J. Klein and a third-round pick. If Kansas City showed some interest it would be Donnie Avery and a third. Anything less than a third would warrant two players as well.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Monday that the "feeling around the league" is the Texans will not try to trade Andre Johnson.
Johnson recently expressed displeasure with the Texans' latest rebuild. Rookie coach Bill O'Brien is already working to appease Johnson, likely pointing to Houston's revamped defense and what should be a much-improved run game with Arian Foster back. The Texans play in the NFL's worst division and can be competitive. They just won't contend for Super Bowls until they find a quarterback. Johnson is most likely to stay in Houston for his age-33 season.

Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson - WR - Texans

Andre Johnson did not report for the first day of Texans OTAs on Tuesday.

Johnson said he didn't plan to attend the "voluntary" workouts when he spoke to the media two weeks ago. He also doesn't anticipate showing up for mandatory minicamp next month. Johnson is still trying to decide whether he wants to be part of another Texans rebuild, though he may not have much of a choice, at the age of 33. The Texans say talks with their star receiver have been "positive." Johnson's contract makes him very difficult to trade.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 27 - 1:25 PM

Rotoworld:

Asked Friday when he expects Andre Johnson to join the Texans, coach Bill O'Brien replied "I'm not sure."

Johnson missed all ten of Houston's OTAs, and is not expected at mandatory minicamp, subjecting him to a fine. There doesn't appear to be much movement on the Johnson front, but we expect some by the end of this month. Johnson finishing out his career in a Texans uniform remains the likeliest end result.

Jun 13 - 2:17 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Texans reporter Tania Ganguli fully expects Andre Johnson to be back with Houston this season.

Johnson skipped last month's mandatory minicamp as he tries to force a trade, but none of the media covering the Texans expect him to dig his heels in. The Texans would never be able to get equal value for a player that's 33 years old (next week) and carrying a hefty contract. Johnson's choices will likely come down to either playing with Ryan Fitzpatrick or sitting out the season.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Andre Johnson has told the Texans "he wants to play for another team."

Rapoport added four teams have expressed interest in the veteran wide receiver, but Houston is resisting the move. It is unsurprising Johnson wants a trade. Entering his age-33 season, Johnson does not have time to wait through yet another rebuilding job. He is also unhappy the Texans refused to cut a deal to pay him his $1 million workout bonus despite the fact that he missed the sessions. Despite the animosity, it is not a certainty Johnson leaves Houston. Rapoport believes the Texans could remedy the situation by paying Johnson his $1 million or promising him a roster spot in 2015. This has the look of a saga that will drag into camp.

Source: NFL.com

Jul 10 - 12:01 PM

Not a huge fan of Andre in all of this. HOU made the moves they think give them the best chance to win now and in the future. I think taking Clowney makes them a top tier defense and playoff+ capable. The offense is good as well, but has QB issues - as it has for some time. All receivers would like to have Brees or Payton throwing to them, but no one else is quitting over it. I didn't feel like any of the rookie QBs brought the assurance of being any better than Schaub or Fitzgerald any time soon - but would have cost them Clowney. Teams make those calls, not players. Savage is a lesser pick, but still brings the chance of becoming a solid starter. Fitz may be a step down from Schaub, but I think they are pretty similar. I didn't notice that Brady or Rogers were on the market? Other than passing up Clowney, what did he expect management to do? Is he quitting on them because they didn't pick up McCown?

I have admired Johnson forever and think he's HOF bound. He's always been a stand up guy and a pro about media and solid with and for his team. This just seems like he's a different guy - now all about himself and personal glory. I also don't think there is a team out there with better playoff hopes than HOU with him that's in any position to acquire him. I don't see anything to be gained here by trying to force a trade.

"Hopefully," said A.J., who skipped last month's mandatory minicamp. "We’ll see what happens. Camp is three weeks away." Johnson's beef was never about money.
He is also unhappy the Texans refused a deal that would have paid him his $1 million workout bonus despite the fact that he missed several sessions

Not a huge fan of Andre in all of this. HOU made the moves they think give them the best chance to win now and in the future. I think taking Clowney makes them a top tier defense and playoff+ capable. The offense is good as well, but has QB issues - as it has for some time. All receivers would like to have Brees or Payton throwing to them, but no one else is quitting over it. I didn't feel like any of the rookie QBs brought the assurance of being any better than Schaub or Fitzgerald any time soon - but would have cost them Clowney. Teams make those calls, not players. Savage is a lesser pick, but still brings the chance of becoming a solid starter. Fitz may be a step down from Schaub, but I think they are pretty similar. I didn't notice that Brady or Rogers were on the market? Other than passing up Clowney, what did he expect management to do? Is he quitting on them because they didn't pick up McCown?I have admired Johnson forever and think he's HOF bound. He's always been a stand up guy and a pro about media and solid with and for his team. This just seems like he's a different guy - now all about himself and personal glory. I also don't think there is a team out there with better playoff hopes than HOU with him that's in any position to acquire him. I don't see anything to be gained here by trying to force a trade.
Disagree. AJ has been a quiet, respectful superstar WR in a world full of me first diva wrs. He has endured, with the exception of two good seasons, nothing but terrible, misguided teams in Houston. Forget the draft or who the texans did or didnt keep or go after recently. This is about him having over a decade of knowledge about his employer, their mindset, and the culture in his workplace and he is tired of it. So in that regard I support him and think he is right.

I will say, however, that if he ends up being able to do nothing then it is fair and he should show up and do his job because he did freely sign a multi year deal for money.

Not a huge fan of Andre in all of this. HOU made the moves they think give them the best chance to win now and in the future. I think taking Clowney makes them a top tier defense and playoff+ capable. The offense is good as well, but has QB issues - as it has for some time. All receivers would like to have Brees or Payton throwing to them, but no one else is quitting over it. I didn't feel like any of the rookie QBs brought the assurance of being any better than Schaub or Fitzgerald any time soon - but would have cost them Clowney. Teams make those calls, not players. Savage is a lesser pick, but still brings the chance of becoming a solid starter. Fitz may be a step down from Schaub, but I think they are pretty similar. I didn't notice that Brady or Rogers were on the market? Other than passing up Clowney, what did he expect management to do? Is he quitting on them because they didn't pick up McCown?I have admired Johnson forever and think he's HOF bound. He's always been a stand up guy and a pro about media and solid with and for his team. This just seems like he's a different guy - now all about himself and personal glory. I also don't think there is a team out there with better playoff hopes than HOU with him that's in any position to acquire him. I don't see anything to be gained here by trying to force a trade.
Disagree. AJ has been a quiet, respectful superstar WR in a world full of me first diva wrs. He has endured, with the exception of two good seasons, nothing but terrible, misguided teams in Houston. Forget the draft or who the texans did or didnt keep or go after recently. This is about him having over a decade of knowledge about his employer, their mindset, and the culture in his workplace and he is tired of it. So in that regard I support him and think he is right.

I will say, however, that if he ends up being able to do nothing then it is fair and he should show up and do his job because he did freely sign a multi year deal for money.
he signs multi-year deals every other year

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Andre Johnson would be willing to restructure his contract to facilitate a trade, but not take a pay-cut.

In other words, Johnson would gladly help a new club kick the can down the road, but would still expect to eventually collect every cent in it. Johnson's $15.644 million cap number greatly complicates any potential deal, and would make a restructure all but necessary.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 10 - 8:15 PM

I just don't see it. Obviously the interest is there, and he's willing to restructure his contract (but not lose any money). I just can't see why the Texans would eat the dead cap money which is a ridiculous amount.

I'm in Houston and I agree with Shutout. He's been on some horrendous teams and taken it as a true professional. He deserves better. Then again, he did just freely sign the extension so it is on him.

I just don't see it. Obviously the interest is there, and he's willing to restructure his contract (but not lose any money). I just can't see why the Texans would eat the dead cap money which is a ridiculous amount.

I'm in Houston and I agree with Shutout. He's been on some horrendous teams and taken it as a true professional. He deserves better. Then again, he did just freely sign the extension so it is on him.
I put this on the owners...during the CBA negotiations, why would the owners agree to (and honestly, I don't see why the players would care about dead cap monies) a plan that penalizes them from getting rid of malcontents or players who they need to move? I get it from the "out right cut" perspective, but no clue why they penalize themselves from trading players with one another.

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle reports Andre Johnson "will not be traded."

Beat writer John McClain is plugged in to all things Texans. He believes the Texans want Johnson to finish his career in Houston and they don't want to deal Johnson simply because he wants out, which would set a precedent for similar situations if they were to develop in the future. Another big factor is money. The Texans would eat $12 million by trading Johnson, and the acquiring team would take on his roughly $16 million cap hit. Johnson will be playing for the Texans come Week 1, or he'll sit out and forfeit over $500,000 per week.

Jul 11 - 9:56 AM

Users who are viewing this thread