What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL3 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Welp, guess I get to redeem myself for my poor showing last year (out week 3!)

Glad to be back in here! :)

The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire. Discuss.
It was really about power over the will. While everyone knew the truth, to cry the truth out was justification for cruel treatment. How much have things changed in the world?

Went Graham with the clarity he brings to the position. It remains to be seen if I will be able to make up for the lost points at RB, WR. Happy to have a top 6 pick.

The scoring of this league makes Graham seem like a justifiable pick at any spot, but I had to take Charles. There is a huge drop off in RB and TE depth was good in the PDSL.

I am not sure it is proper to use neither with more than one nor, but I can't recall.

Holiness is not defined by one religion but one's religion and if the plutocracy of the HRE felt they had divine right to be in their position of abuse and power, it could be considered holy.

Roman cannot be defined by the geographical constraints of the city-state, rather the culture and concept it created.

An Emperor ruled, and he ruled an Empire, though later holding that title were in fact acting at the behest of others until the downfall.

Just counter-points, not sure I would stand behind them.

I was surprised at McCoy going first, due to the loss of DJ and his age starting to be a factor (though we didn't see it last year). The loss of Bryce, not sure if that will wear him out during the season. Foles, remains to be seen if he has a sophomore slump as a starter. Maclin, what kind of football shape is he in? Not saying I wasn't going to take him second if Charles was gone, but I prefer Charles for the first pick.

Calvin made it to 1.06, nice steal there. Interested to see how Forte does this year. I would support him at the 10 spot or below.

The scoring of this league makes Graham seem like a justifiable pick at any spot, but I had to take Charles. There is a huge drop off in RB and TE depth was good in the PDSL.

I am not sure it is proper to use neither with more than one nor, but I can't recall.

Holiness is not defined by one religion but one's religion and if the plutocracy of the HRE felt they had divine right to be in their position of abuse and power, it could be considered holy.

Roman cannot be defined by the geographical constraints of the city-state, rather the culture and concept it created.

An Emperor ruled, and he ruled an Empire, though later holding that title were in fact acting at the behest of others until the downfall.

I was surprised at McCoy going first, due to the loss of DJ and his age starting to be a factor (though we didn't see it last year). The loss of Bryce, not sure if that will wear him out during the season. Foles, remains to be seen if he has a sophomore slump as a starter. Maclin, what kind of football shape is he in? Not saying I wasn't going to take him second if Charles was gone, but I prefer Charles for the first pick.

Calvin made it to 1.06, nice steal there. Interested to see how Forte does this year. I would support him at the 10 spot or below.
This entire post is some :lmao: stream-of-consciousness goodness.

Thought that Demaryius Thomas was going to be a nice surprise pick for me, but happy to start off with Mr. Manning.

had to start my draft with 2 rbs. was hoping foster made it back to me, but will land doug martin instead. Heres hoping for a forte like season out of him under lovie.

1.09 - Dez Bryant, WR DAL

2.08 - Julius Thomas, TE DEN

Went RB/RB last year to start off SSL ... and flamed out in Week 6. So, hey, let's try something different!

Would anyone really be all that surprised if Dez and OJ finished WR1 and TE1 this year? For that matter, would anyone really be all that surprised if they both got injured in Week 3 and finished in the 30s at their positions? Oh well. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

Last edited by a moderator:

This entire post is some :lmao: stream-of-consciousness goodness.
Ah, the output of a mind trapped in a basement office with only his Red Swingline stapler for company...

Uhm, excuse me, that's my stapler.

Anybody else think WR value drops off quick? Also, was surprised to see Montee Ball go so high, especially in a PPR. There was at least one RB I would take above him that was available.

I try to get Vernon Davis every year, never hear character issues, does not appear to get injured, involved in passing game significantly, and on a healthy offense that should give opportunities. I like him for a top 3 or 4 TE, though I realize he will never be number one.

Peyton's numbers last year were insane. Couldn't blame someone for taking him 1.1 even.

Maybe I took Vereen a little high, but I think he is going to have a few big games this year, and in best ball, that should work out nicely for me.. Was a tough pick, there could certainly be an argument for other players, other RB's even, but I have a feeling about Vereen

Ellington was a nice pick up at 3.13. I would have taken him at 3.6 but he shares a bye with Stacy.

Megatron

Stacy

Spiller

Olsen

4.08 - Ray Rice, RB BAL

5.09 - Bishop Sankey, RB TEN

3.09 - Percy Harvin, WR SEA

After going WR-TE-WR to start off, I'd have been faced with an extremely difficult decision if either Cam or Ryan had fallen to me here. Fortunately (or unfortunately), they went in the two picks right before mine, so this pick was almost a given.

I expect Rice to miss at most two games to suspension and to rebound to borderline-RB1 territory the rest of the season, which is as much as you can reasonably expect from an RB1 when you wait until the late-50s to draft one. I'd have considered Tate, but the Browns adding two new RBs in and after the draft, plus his sharing a week 4 bye with two of my first 3 picks, pretty much crossed him off my list.

ETA: Given that I waited until RB21/27 to grab a starting duo I think I scored some serious value here. The Titans regarded Sankey highly enough to make him the first back off the draft board, and his path to a primary gig goes through a 29-year-old third-tier talent. The risk is that they decide to work him into the offense slowly, thus providing me little cover for a possible Rice suspension, but the potential reward is high enough to grab him now and deal with that later in the draft.

Really glad to get Dennis Pitta at 5.12 and TE #10. Double ppr scoring at the TE position occasionally leaves folks scrambling here. Only one of the teams drafting behind me had a TE so it was an easy choice for me to grab him on the way down.

5.06 Tony Romo QB DAL 11

1.06 Calvin Johnson WR DET 9

2.11 Zac Stacy RB STL 4

3.06 C.J. Spiller RB BUF 9

4.11 Greg Olsen TE CAR 12

5.06 Tony Romo QB DAL 11

2.11 Zac Stacy RB STL 4

I thought Spiller was a value pick where you got him, this is a very good start if Stacy holds the starting slot with the Rams. Mason could be a real challenge to playing time. Romo's back worries me, but the Cowboys didn't draft a QB, least that I recall, and Orton is strangely being reported as absent. I think Buffalo's draft will take the defenses and spread them out more than last year.

Stafford, Matthew DET QB 425.40 9

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB (P) 382.00 6

McFadden, Darren OAK RB 102.50 5

Hilton, T.Y. IND WR 220.90 10

Davis, Vernon SFO TE 267.00 8

Clearly, I am weak at WR, not great for a ppr league.

However, the roster is very good at other positions for a best ball. I think DMac retains the starting position, and maybe he will play better and more reliably with relief and a new offense if I recall correctly at Oakland. Always an injury concern obviously.

If I can get another strong WR2, and find late value, maybe I get through. It will depend upon the WR production though, which is a concern, again.

5.03 - Knowshon Moreno, RB MIA

5.07 - Frank Gore, RB SF

5.11 - Joique Bell, RB DET

5.13 - Toby Gerhart, RB JAX

5.15 - Darren Sproles, RB PHI

Lots of excellent value at RB in the 5th - makes me glad I didn't go RB-heavy to start the draft this time around. Moreno, Sankey, Bell, Gerhart all have a decent chance at finishing the season with RB1 numbers IMO. Don't think Sproles has the upside of those four, even in a PPR, but underestimate Chip Kelly at your own peril.

Sankey is definitely the wild card in the group - highest ceiling, lowest floor - but you've gotta do some swinging for the fences to win these things.

Two straight slow as molasses days. By my clock we will have our first clock expiration (other than my draft the guy already taken move) in three minutes.

Hoping for some fast paced picks over the evening.

Good drafting karma to all

Let's all encourage our fellow drafters to check in a little more frequently. Three straight days with an almost eight hour wait tends to discourage others from being attentive.

Let's all band together to improve our progress!

FYI: looks like Norseman and I are predrafted at 7.14 and 7.15. (Well, I predrafted and it looks like Norseman did too.)

Thomas caught a career high 77 passes last year and with Sproles gone, should be the primary receiving back in 2014.

Actually was hoping for Nicks at 7.5, oh well

6.08 - Philip Rivers, QB SD

4.08 - Ray Rice, RB BAL

7.09 - Golden Tate, WR DET

I'm not gonna lie: Before drafting Rivers here I Googled him, just to make sure there wasn't a new photo on Deadspin of him toking up with Josh Gordon or something, because ... QB15? Really? For a guy who's had exactly one fantasy season outside the top 10 since 2008, and has missed exactly zero games since 2005? Thanks, and I'll take it.

Given Percy's injury history I figured I'd get away from the WR3BC approach I usually take in these in favor of a guy who could serve as a decent WR2 fill-in if need be. Think I found him in Tate, who put up WR2-caliber numbers in the NFC's least prolific pass offense, and now moves to its most prolific. His upside might be capped by the Lions' heavy use of Bush and Bell in the pass game, but talented #2 guys working across from bona-fide studs always seem to be able to get theirs, and I expect Golden the Domer to be no exception.

I think this is the first time in my survivor league history I've filled out my entire skill-position starting lineup before grabbing any backups, which I'm happy about as it should allow me to roll straight BPA through the critical mid-rounds.

I didn't realize I was on the clock. But I've been no where near a computer all day... How long do we have between pick?

And why did I get such a scrub player?

Can I make a replacement pick?

I didn't realize I was on the clock. But I've been no where near a computer all day... How long do we have between pick?

Clock is 8 hours ... Now 4 for you though (at least that's what the rules say). You can log in as commish and change your pick. Be sure to post it in the draft thread too. The thread controls.

No! Nein! Nyet! ENJOY YOUR 7TH-ROUND BACKUP KICKER AND LET THAT BE A LESSON!!!1!1!...

Kidding, of course. Log into MFL as the Commish (pwd = fbgssl3) and make a replacement pick for yourself (or just post it here and I or someone else can make it there for you).

ETA: And by "here", I actually mean the draft thread. I'm not OCD, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Off-topic, meaning relating to the ssl3 draft, I was wondering if anyone recalled what drafting pattern does best in ssl format? I see the summary every year, forget who posts it off the top of my head, but recall it is not so much RB dominant, or dependent upon one round 1 pick, but seems to be relating to finding the stud round 3 - 6 picks, and a sleeper. Of course, Peyton threw that out the window last year, but I am pretty sure it would be the nail in the coffin to the sense of pending doom I have about my roster right now.

5.06 Tony Romo QB DAL 11

8.11 Carson Palmer QB 4

Pretty happy here. Both guys are in offenses that I am pretty bullish on this season.

6.11 Reggie Wayne WR IND 10

7.06 Riley Cooper WR PHI 7

Mega is Mega. Wayne and Cooper should both receive the most targets in their respective passing games. I feel pretty good about Wayne being able to put together at least one more 80+ catch 1000 yard season despite the age factor and the addition of a bunch of new weapons for Luck. Cooper becomes the de facto WR1 in Philly with DJax moving on. What that's worth we will have to see. At this point I like him a lot more than Maclin.

2.11 Zac Stacy RB STL 4

Stacy was a lot more attractive before Tre Mason was drafted but still feel he represents good value at the end of the 2nd. With the addition of bruiser Greg Robinson to the offensive line there is 10+ TD potential here. I'll take Spiller in the 3rd all day everyday in every draft. a player with top 5 positional potential at RB15 and 38th overall is the very definition of a value pick.

9.06 Travis Kelce TE KC 6

Yea they drafted Benjamin but Olsen is going to lead the team in targets, catches, yards, and perhaps even TDs. I liked Kelce last year before the injury kept him out all season. Going back to the well and hoping he can become the secondary receiver the team desperately needs.

A lot of work to do but I'm pretty stoked with this team so far.

5.06 Tony Romo QB DAL 11

8.11 Carson Palmer QB 4

Pretty happy here. Both guys are in offenses that I am pretty bullish on this season.

6.11 Reggie Wayne WR IND 10

7.06 Riley Cooper WR PHI 7

Mega is Mega. Wayne and Cooper should both receive the most targets in their respective passing games. I feel pretty good about Wayne being able to put together at least one more 80+ catch 1000 yard season despite the age factor and the addition of a bunch of new weapons for Luck. Cooper becomes the de facto WR1 in Philly with DJax moving on. What that's worth we will have to see. At this point I like him a lot more than Maclin.

2.11 Zac Stacy RB STL 4

Stacy was a lot more attractive before Tre Mason was drafted but still feel he represents good value at the end of the 2nd. With the addition of bruiser Greg Robinson to the offensive line there is 10+ TD potential here. I'll take Spiller in the 3rd all day everyday in every draft. a player with top 5 positional potential at RB15 and 38th overall is the very definition of a value pick.

Yea they drafted Benjamin but Olsen is going to lead the team in targets, catches, yards, and perhaps even TDs
Your last 4 picks have been really solid value. Romo / Palmer as a combo ought to get you ahead of the field at QB most weeks and it's inconceivable to me that Wayne is going two full rounds later than Hilton. I highly doubt Cooper will be "the WR1 in Philly" if Maclin is back healthy, but he'll be an effective deep threat which is always a good thing in best-ball.

Still plenty of value to be had at TE IMO and while RB is thinning out faster than I expected, you're in that boat with several others (including me). There's gonna be a lot of dart-throwing in the late mid-rounds at that position and it will all come down to who's able to hit a bullseye or two.

6.08 - Philip Rivers, QB SD

4.08 - Ray Rice, RB BAL

7.09 - Golden Tate, WR DET

I'm not gonna lie: Before drafting Rivers here I Googled him, just to make sure there wasn't a new photo on Deadspin of him toking up with Josh Gordon or something, because ... QB15? Really? For a guy who's had exactly one fantasy season outside the top 10 since 2008, and has missed exactly zero games since 2005? Thanks, and I'll take it.

Given Percy's injury history I figured I'd get away from the WR3BC approach I usually take in these in favor of a guy who could serve as a decent WR2 fill-in if need be. Think I found him in Tate, who put up WR2-caliber numbers in the NFC's least prolific pass offense, and now moves to its most prolific. His upside might be capped by the Lions' heavy use of Bush and Bell in the pass game, but talented #2 guys working across from bona-fide studs always seem to be able to get theirs, and I expect Golden the Domer to be no exception.

I think this is the first time in my survivor league history I've filled out my entire skill-position starting lineup before grabbing any backups, which I'm happy about as it should allow me to roll straight BPA through the critical mid-rounds.
I like it but RB is super scary to me.

Just to make my opinion known, Mr Irrelevant, I think you're a scumbag for skipping my pick...

Wouldn't have hurt anyone to wait.. It's a friendly game with nothing on the line.. Thanks for ruining the fun for me #### head..

i woulda skipped you too. 8 hours is an ### load of time
Not everyone works in front of a computer.. I was trying to make a pick via my phone and was unable.. Everyone in the blue collar world works away from a computer for the most part, and many for more than 8 hours a day...

i woulda skipped you too. 8 hours is an ### load of time
Not everyone works in front of a computer.. I was trying to make a pick via my phone and was unable.. Everyone in the blue collar world works away from a computer for the most part, and many for more than 8 hours a day...
look i get it. I work away from a computer too but these are the rules of the game. if you are going to be away PM someone a predraft list.

If it were set in stone, then the mfl timer would be on... This isn't my first season at this, and I've never seen anyone skipped so swiftly... Everyone wants bragging rights here, but to what end? What is there to brag about if you're not willing to play against everyone at their best..

Whatever... I'm still aggravated about it, you wont convince me otherwise.. Probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if it weren't the guy picking right after me..

If it were set in stone, then the mfl timer would be on... This isn't my first season at this, and I've never seen anyone skipped so swiftly... Everyone wants bragging rights here, but to what end? What is there to brag about if you're not willing to play against everyone at their best..

Whatever... I'm still aggravated about it, you wont convince me otherwise.. Probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if it weren't the guy picking right after me..
Traditionally we have only used the message boards. MFL during the draft is a very recent addition and really only used for tracking the draft, predrafting, and then eventually scoring the league. The point of these drafts is to generate discussion, ADP, and to have a little fun by watching it play out.

These leagues have been going on for almost a decade. The rules have always been the same. You get an 8 hour clock and if you miss it your clock gets halved. It's not personal. It is necessary to keep things moving because when things move too slowly people lose interest. We've seen some of these go completely off the rails so the rules are in place for a reason. I hope you can move past this and continue to have an enjoyable draft.

Traditionally we have only used the message boards. MFL during the draft is a very recent addition and really only used for tracking the draft, predrafting, and then eventually scoring the league. The point of these drafts is to generate discussion, ADP, and to have a little fun by watching it play out.

These leagues have been going on for almost a decade. The rules have always been the same. You get an 8 hour clock and if you miss it your clock gets halved. It's not personal. It is necessary to keep things moving because when things move too slowly people lose interest. We've seen some of these go completely off the rails so the rules are in place for a reason. I hope you can move past this and continue to have an enjoyable draft.
great post

Coincidentally, Mr Irrelevant has now been on the clock for over 8 hours... All though I'm tempted, I don't plan on skipping him and giving him a no name kicker... (as was done to me by him)

And I see that none of you have done that either..

Users who are viewing this thread