What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jarvis Landry, Saints (1 Viewer)

BeTheMatch

Footballguy
Just drafted Landry with the 19th pick of our rookie draft and couldn't be more excited about him. Would've taken him over any WR except Watkins and Evans.

He looks like a stronger Randall Cobb to me. They both absolutely jump off the screen.

Landry has one highlight after another, whether it be diving catches, great open-field moves to deke a defender or absolutely laying someone out after an interception. He's a real-deal football player and one of Mayock's favorites to boot.

Tannehill has been at least OK so far, and the likes of Wallace, Hartline and Gibson shouldn't prove to be an obstacle for opportunity.

I'm on board.

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
The draft picks and their roster consequences

Armando Salguero

Excerpt:

Second round -- WR Jarvis Landry

Consequence: Landry is immediately an option as a slot receiver but he will have to play special teams like the dickens to be active on game days. Here is the reason for the unintiated: The first three WRs -- Brandon Gibson, Brian Hartline, Mike Wallace -- get their reps on offense. None play special teams. The fourth active WR has to play special teams. Period. This pick suggests the Dolphins will keep five instead of four wide receivers on the roster. Last year Miami kept only four coming out of camp. Or, failing that, one of last year's four -- Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Rishard Matthews -- is gone. Well, yes, one of the last year's four is gone. As I've explained to you previously, Matthews' days with the Dolphins are numbered. Despite his career high 41 catches for 448 yards and two touchdowns a season ago, Matthews is not a favorite of the coaching staff, particularly head coach Joe Philbin. My column explains why. Because Landry is a second round pick, he is almost guaranteed of making the team. So that means veterans such as Armon Binns, Kevin Cone, and Damien Williams are already at a numbers-game disadvantage -- again, unless the club goes with five receivers on the roster instead of four.

Better post from Armando:

Analytics suggest Landry a reach, won't succeed

by Armando Salguero via Miami Dolphins In Depth

A lot has been made about Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey intending to make use of analytics as part of his regimen for evaluating and selecting Dolphins talent. I assume if this is a serious venture the Dolphins will hire someone or several people to comprise an analytics department.

Well, they better get on the ball because I already have an analytics department up and running.

It is a one-man, volunteer, unsolicited department run and manned by Dr. Peter Lawrence Smith who is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow for Clincal Sciences at St. Georges University of London.

Sounds impressive, right?

I'm paying this guy a mint (with a mint in this case being defined as nothing).

Anyway, Dr. Smith is extemely interested in the Dolphins' selection of Jarvis Landry in the second round of the recent draft. Landry, you should know, played and thrived at Louisiana State University. He was a favorite of LSU coach Les Miles. His performance on tape suggest he is definitely an NFL talent. And Landry did much of his damage against respected Southeastern Conference Competition.

But ...

Landry, 5-11 and 205 pounds, ran a disappointing 4.77 time in the 40-yard dash at the Indianapolis Combine. Hickey said he saw that as "an opportunity." Landry then ran a 4.62 at his Pro Day.

Well, the analytics suggest this was not an opportunity and this was not a very good pick in the second round.

Consider from Dr. Smith, who studied 1999-2012 drafts, with 2013 being eliminated because one year and a rookie year at that provides little for a complete evaluation:

"I did some analysis of WRs taken in the last six drafts (and some undrafted free agents). My dataset was composed of 284 WRs.

"Of these 284, only three ran the 40-yard dash slower than 4.70. Landry ran 4.77 at combine. This is slower than any of the 284 receivers in the data set.

"Landry ran 4.62 at his pro day. This is equal to or slower than 254 receivers in the data set. Only 34 ran equal to or slower than 4.60.

"Eighteen of these "slow" receivers were undrafted while 16 were drafted. So 53 percent of these 34 slow WRs were not drafted at all.

"Of the 16 slow receivers drafted, the median selection position was 93rd overall. Only three receivers were drafted higher than Landry at 63rd overall: Mohamed Massaquoi (50th overall), Dwayne Jarrett (45th overall), and Malcom Kelly (51st overall)."

Jarrett, Kelly and Massaquoi are all currently out of the NFL.

"A number of these 34 slow receivers had a productive final college year as Landry did. Three of these receivers played for SEC colleges with similar production to Landry.

"But only three of these slow receivers have had production in the NFL for even one year: Massaquoi in 2008, Mohammed Sanu in 2012 and Devone Bess, who was undrafted 2008 but produced for several years.

"There are plenty of examples of WRs with similar production either having success or failing in the NFL. College production alone isn't a good indicator of NFL success. Landry's production is similar to Armon BInns, who ran a 4.5 40-yard dash. went undrafted and is currently a Dolphin.

"As Landry was drafted in the second round it bears noting the average 40-yard dash time of WRs drafted in the second round is 4.48.

"Landry could be the slowest second-round pick by as much as .17 seconds.

"Landry's 4.77 combine time is slower than any of the 284 receivers in the data set.

"Depending upon how you determine value the second round isn't a particularly good time to draft WRs. The first round is better, as you would expect, and the third round is as good as the second.

"According to my analysis Landry is unlikely to have success and drafting him in the second round is a reach."

Scouts Inc. on WR Jarvis Landry

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The Miami Dolphins drafted former LSU wide receiver Jarvis Landry in the second round with the No. 63 overall pick. Many draft experts, including ESPN’s Todd McShay, praised the pick and believes Landry could be one of the best values in this draft.

What kind of impact will Landry make his rookie year? Let's take an in-depth look at Landry’s scouting report via Scouts Inc.

“Excellent focus and natural hand-eye coordination. Has very good body control to adjust. Comes down with more than his share of 50-50 balls. Excellent job competing for ball in traffic and strong hands to secure. Makes tough catches over his head look easy. … Has slightly above average height and adequate top-end speed. Not an explosive vertical threat or a make-you-miss runner after catch. Will take jump balls away from defenders vertically. Will spring long runs with his downfield blocking.”
Landry is expected to compete for the inside slot position this year. There is a deep competition brewing in the slot between Landry, Brandon Gibson and Rishard Matthews.

Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine, and he turned out just fine.
Boldin is a much better comp than Cobb given the lack of speed.

I like Landry as well - he's got great hands and should have the ability to contribute immediately for the Dolphins, however there are quite a few other WR's that are more exciting prospects IMO and he's not a guy I wan't to be burning a second rounder on. He's more of a third or fourth round guy for me and, IMO, he belongs in a group with Abbrederis, Ellington, Norwood, and Gallon - guys I'm looking to get in the latter rounds who have the ability to be successful but may need some developing or some situational help.

ETA: Landy is probably in the best situation out of all of the guys I listed, but his lack of size with his lack of speed bothers me a bit. If he was bigger, I wouldn't be so worried about it, but given the lack of both size and speed, it could really hold him back in my eyes. Definitely worth it in the 3rd though for me.

I like Landry a lot too. He is a good football player. Great hands and toughness. He made some catches that reminded me of Chris Carter. I was surprised he was not a bigger player than what he measured.

The size, speed and the low jump numbers really make me question how successful he can be at the next level where most defenders will really outclass him athletically.

I liked what I saw enough that I would definitely want him on my team. I could see Landry in the top 25 of this rookie class. There are just so many other very good WR that it is hard to want to invest in him before then. If he pans out it will likely be great value as he may last to the end of the 2nd or the 3rd round as I recall from one of the earlier rookie drafts. Perhaps people are higher on him now post draft due to the confidence the Dolphins showed in him. A second round pick is a pretty high investment. I wish I trusted their front office more.

BeTheMatch said:
Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine, and he turned out just fine.
Boldin is around 220 and was a tackle-breaking machine when he came into the league. Also, I don't think he was 100% at his Pro Day.

Landry is more like Hines Ward.

I don't think you'll find many people around here beating the drum for Landry. It will be fascinating to see if he can turn himself into a quality nfl/ff starter.

I'll be surprised if he's successful. Very slow. Mentally tough, but may lack the dimensions to survive the beating in the NFL.

Mayock said you couldn't tell the difference between Beckham and Landry on tape and that's absolutely false. His lack of explosiveness was apparent. I think it's going to be tough sledding for him. He can find a role and maybe give them what they lost with Davone Bess a while back, but I don't see him being Boldin. Miami's personnel department isn't very good and this looks like another mistake.

Slapdash said:
Better post from Armando:

Analytics suggest Landry a reach, won't succeed

by Armando Salguero via Miami Dolphins In Depth

A lot has been made about Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey intending to make use of analytics as part of his regimen for evaluating and selecting Dolphins talent. I assume if this is a serious venture the Dolphins will hire someone or several people to comprise an analytics department.

Well, they better get on the ball because I already have an analytics department up and running.

It is a one-man, volunteer, unsolicited department run and manned by Dr. Peter Lawrence Smith who is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow for Clincal Sciences at St. Georges University of London.

Sounds impressive, right?

I'm paying this guy a mint (with a mint in this case being defined as nothing).

Anyway, Dr. Smith is extemely interested in the Dolphins' selection of Jarvis Landry in the second round of the recent draft. Landry, you should know, played and thrived at Louisiana State University. He was a favorite of LSU coach Les Miles. His performance on tape suggest he is definitely an NFL talent. And Landry did much of his damage against respected Southeastern Conference Competition.

But ...

Landry, 5-11 and 205 pounds, ran a disappointing 4.77 time in the 40-yard dash at the Indianapolis Combine. Hickey said he saw that as "an opportunity." Landry then ran a 4.62 at his Pro Day.

Well, the analytics suggest this was not an opportunity and this was not a very good pick in the second round.

Consider from Dr. Smith, who studied 1999-2012 drafts, with 2013 being eliminated because one year and a rookie year at that provides little for a complete evaluation:

"I did some analysis of WRs taken in the last six drafts (and some undrafted free agents). My dataset was composed of 284 WRs.

"Of these 284, only three ran the 40-yard dash slower than 4.70. Landry ran 4.77 at combine. This is slower than any of the 284 receivers in the data set.

"Landry ran 4.62 at his pro day. This is equal to or slower than 254 receivers in the data set. Only 34 ran equal to or slower than 4.60.

"Eighteen of these "slow" receivers were undrafted while 16 were drafted. So 53 percent of these 34 slow WRs were not drafted at all.

"Of the 16 slow receivers drafted, the median selection position was 93rd overall. Only three receivers were drafted higher than Landry at 63rd overall: Mohamed Massaquoi (50th overall), Dwayne Jarrett (45th overall), and Malcom Kelly (51st overall)."

Jarrett, Kelly and Massaquoi are all currently out of the NFL.

"A number of these 34 slow receivers had a productive final college year as Landry did. Three of these receivers played for SEC colleges with similar production to Landry.

"But only three of these slow receivers have had production in the NFL for even one year: Massaquoi in 2008, Mohammed Sanu in 2012 and Devone Bess, who was undrafted 2008 but produced for several years.

"There are plenty of examples of WRs with similar production either having success or failing in the NFL. College production alone isn't a good indicator of NFL success. Landry's production is similar to Armon BInns, who ran a 4.5 40-yard dash. went undrafted and is currently a Dolphin.

"As Landry was drafted in the second round it bears noting the average 40-yard dash time of WRs drafted in the second round is 4.48.

"Landry could be the slowest second-round pick by as much as .17 seconds.

"Landry's 4.77 combine time is slower than any of the 284 receivers in the data set.

"Depending upon how you determine value the second round isn't a particularly good time to draft WRs. The first round is better, as you would expect, and the third round is as good as the second.

"According to my analysis Landry is unlikely to have success and drafting him in the second round is a reach."
Sports analytics involves finding a correlation; Armando Salguero certainly hasn't. He just comped Landry to a few slow guys meeting a threshold and suggests it proves something. In fact, the sample size he uses doesn't inspire much confidence. I would guess the Dolphins used a more thorough and statistically relevant analysis.

I'll be surprised if he's successful. Very slow. Mentally tough, but may lack the dimensions to survive the beating in the NFL.

Mayock said you couldn't tell the difference between Beckham and Landry on tape and that's absolutely false. His lack of explosiveness was apparent. I think it's going to be tough sledding for him. He can find a role and maybe give them what they lost with Davone Bess a while back, but I don't see him being Boldin. Miami's personnel department isn't very good and this looks like another mistake.
Another mistake by Miami? How about the dynamic receivers they've produced over the years... Mark Clayton, Mark Duper... and... Wait for it... Wait for it.. Irving Fryar.. That should be enough proof of there draft abilities... Draft Landry with confidence

Another mistake by Miami? How about the dynamic receivers they've produced over the years... Mark Clayton, Mark Duper... and... Wait for it... Wait for it.. Irving Fryar.. That should be enough proof of there draft abilities... Draft Landry with confidence
Umm... pretty sure there's a different GM there now.

Landry is one of my "sleepers" as well. I wouldn't say he is my #3 WR in this draft class, but I like him more than the #5 RB or #3 TE, which puts him at roughly a mid 2nd.

He is not a burner, but he looks like he has great hands, runs routes well, and goes after the ball. I don't think he has as high of a ceiling as a number of other WRs in the draft, but in ppr leagues, I think he has a solid floor.

You would have thought that Dezmon Briscoe would have been recent enough for teams to stay away from Landry.

I've seen people spending late 2nds (as early as 2.6) on him but regardless of where you get him I think it's a throwaway pick.

Landry was widely projected by scouts and insiders alike as a second round pick. Not sure how you can say the pick was a mistake this early in the game.

Pro Day numbers:

Dezmon Briscoe: 6-0, 207, 4.51, 34" vertical, 9-05 broad

Davone Bess: 5-10, 194, 4.60, 32.5" vertical, 9-07 broad

Landry: 5-11.5, 205, 4.58, 31.5" vertical, 9-05 broad

Landry was widely projected by scouts and insiders alike as a second round pick. Not sure how you can say the pick was a mistake this early in the game.
We know that a lot of players will be busts, one of my calls for that status is Landry. He can be decent slot receiver, play special teams and maybe returns kicks but he's not going to be valuable in fantasy.

Scouts Inc. on WR Jarvis Landry

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The Miami Dolphins drafted former LSU wide receiver Jarvis Landry in the second round with the No. 63 overall pick. Many draft experts, including ESPNs Todd McShay, praised the pick and believes Landry could be one of the best values in this draft.

What kind of impact will Landry make his rookie year? Let's take an in-depth look at Landrys scouting report via Scouts Inc.

Excellent focus and natural hand-eye coordination. Has very good body control to adjust. Comes down with more than his share of 50-50 balls. Excellent job competing for ball in traffic and strong hands to secure. Makes tough catches over his head look easy. Has slightly above average height and adequate top-end speed. Not an explosive vertical threat or a make-you-miss runner after catch. Will take jump balls away from defenders vertically. Will spring long runs with his downfield blocking.
Landry is expected to compete for the inside slot position this year. There is a deep competition brewing in the slot between Landry, Brandon Gibson and Rishard Matthews.
He's Vincent Brown.

It's just an opinion. He may do some damage out of the slot, but he's 5'11" with some truly horrendous workout numbers. It's probably not much of a stretch to say that I could get up off my couch and beat his 40, vertical, and broad jump. They're sad numbers for a guy who will be lining up against the best athletes in the world. You can get away with being short and you can get away with being slow, but this guy is both of those things. Love the hands. Love the competitiveness. He's a tough guy and built to take the shots. I don't think he has a pulse as an outside WR though. Strictly a short yardage possession guy.

Overrated prospects come in many flavors. On one end of the spectrum you have prodigious physical specimens who can't really play the game (i.e. Martavis Bryant, Logan Thomas). On the other end of the spectrum you have scrappy overachievers who have all the intangibles and skill components, but lack the right athletic parts to transition to the pro game. Think of Jimmer Fredette in basketball or what Stepfan Taylor looks like after one NFL season. Great college players. Not enough juice under the hood to thrive against professional competition.

Dolphins have a horrendous personnel department and I can hardly think of a good player they've picked recently. IIRC rumors said they're already shopping Dion Jordan, their top 3 pick from a year ago. They whiffed on Lamar Miller. Whiffed on Daniel Thomas. Whiffed on Michael Egnew. Wasted a pick on Mike Gillislee, who was no better than street FA material. They even managed to waste Brandon Marshall and blow a fortune on an overrated one trick pony in Mike Wallace. They're a totally clueless team and their perennial loser stats is well-deserved by their personnel decisions.

I don't really hate Landry as an NFL football player. I don't see a route to legitimate FF relevance for him. Can't see him being much more than Davone Bess.

Long been a fan of his. Landry went to a perfect situation, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the Dolphins #1 WR by the end of this season. There is a lot of Hines Ward to his game.

EBF said:

It's just an opinion. He may do some damage out of the slot, but he's 5'11" with some truly horrendous workout numbers. It's probably not much of a stretch to say that I could get up off my couch and beat his 40, vertical, and broad jump. They're sad numbers for a guy who will be lining up against the best athletes in the world. You can get away with being short and you can get away with being slow, but this guy is both of those things. Love the hands. Love the competitiveness. He's a tough guy and built to take the shots. I don't think he has a pulse as an outside WR though. Strictly a short yardage possession guy.

Overrated prospects come in many flavors. On one end of the spectrum you have prodigious physical specimens who can't really play the game (i.e. Martavis Bryant, Logan Thomas). On the other end of the spectrum you have scrappy overachievers who have all the intangibles and skill components, but lack the right athletic parts to transition to the pro game. Think of Jimmer Fredette in basketball or what Stepfan Taylor looks like after one NFL season. Great college players. Not enough juice under the hood to thrive against professional competition.

Dolphins have a horrendous personnel department and I can hardly think of a good player they've picked recently. IIRC rumors said they're already shopping Dion Jordan, their top 3 pick from a year ago. They whiffed on Lamar Miller. Whiffed on Daniel Thomas. Whiffed on Michael Egnew. Wasted a pick on Mike Gillislee, who was no better than street FA material. They even managed to waste Brandon Marshall and blow a fortune on an overrated one trick pony in Mike Wallace. They're a totally clueless team and their perennial loser stats is well-deserved by their personnel decisions.

I don't really hate Landry as an NFL football player. I don't see a route to legitimate FF relevance for him. Can't see him being much more than Davone Bess.
I agree with EBF 100%. Landry simply is a minus athlete and that doesn't bode well for FF relevancy.

Long been a fan of his. Landry went to a perfect situation, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the Dolphins #1 WR by the end of this season. There is a lot of Hines Ward to his game.
Agreed, something that the number crunchers will never see.

He does not pass the eyeball test for me. Slow, short, and second fiddle in his own WR core.
I'm lukewarm on Landry as a pro, but this just isn't true.RECEIVING

GP

No.

Yards

Avg

TD

Long

Avg/G

Jarvis Landry

Odell Beckham

Saying Landry doesn't pass the eyeball test is crazy. The problem is that his combine numbers don't match what your eyes see on the field. He plays far more athletic than he really is. He's impressive in game action for sure.

He does not pass the eyeball test for me. Slow, short, and second fiddle in his own WR core.

GP

No.

Yards

Avg

TD

Long

Avg/G

Jarvis Landry

Odell Beckham

Saying Landry doesn't pass the eyeball test is crazy. The problem is that his combine numbers don't match what your eyes see on the field. He plays far more athletic than he really is. He's impressive in game action for sure.
Maybe he passes yours. I think to say everyone does, or should, see the same thing is crazy.

I see the latest version of Vincent Brown when I watch him. Good in college. Makes a lot of contested catches in college. Product of a school known for WR busts.

Fryar was drafted by the patriots.

Product of a school known for WR busts.
:confused:
Outside of Dwayne Bowe and Eddie Kennison he's not really 'wrong'. LaFell and Clayton never put it together and the book is still to be written of Randle. But they haven't produced many A+ talents at LSU. Although I wouldn't say they're known for their busts, more so they aren't know for their WRs. Since 1990 they've produced 5 first round WRs.

1996 -Eddie Kennison

2004 - Michael Clayton

2007 - Craig Davis

2007 - Dwayne Bowe

2014 - Odell Beckham Jr

GP

No.

Yards

Avg

TD

Long

Avg/G

Jarvis Landry

Odell Beckham

:goodposting:

Remember, we are talking about a WR who is being slotted in the 3rd round of most rookie drafts.

He represents tremendous upside value as it corresponds with his FF draft position.

GP

No.

Yards

Avg

TD

Long

Avg/G

Jarvis Landry

Odell Beckham

:goodposting:

Remember, we are talking about a WR who is being slotted in the 3rd round of most rookie drafts.

He represents tremendous upside value as it corresponds with his FF draft position.
I agree! Ive been getting him around the 3.3 to 3.8 pick in rookie drafts. Thats definitely worth the risk!

Randle, LaFell, Shepard, Kennison, Buster Davis, Doucet, Byrd, Tolliver. Bowe has also disappointed more often than not. I'm sure there are more, but those are the recent ones I can remember that people have placed fantasy faith in and been disappointed. Enough for you?
Bowe is very clearly not a bust. He's outplayed his draft spot. Clayton was on his way to doing the same, before getting injured, and then getting injured again, and then getting injrued again.

Davis was a bust, sure.

Way too soon to call Randle a bust. He looked pretty good last year.

The rest weren't valued highly enough to really call a bust. Players drafted (Or not; Tolliver was an UDFA) in those spots fail to have impact more often than not.

Concept Coop said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Randle, LaFell, Shepard, Kennison, Buster Davis, Doucet, Byrd, Tolliver. Bowe has also disappointed more often than not. I'm sure there are more, but those are the recent ones I can remember that people have placed fantasy faith in and been disappointed. Enough for you?
Bowe is very clearly not a bust. He's outplayed his draft spot. Clayton was on his way to doing the same, before getting injured, and then getting injured again, and then getting injrued again.

Davis was a bust, sure.

Way too soon to call Randle a bust. He looked pretty good last year.

The rest weren't valued highly enough to really call a bust. Players drafted (Or not; Tolliver was an UDFA) in those spots fail to have impact more often than not.
."Fantasy" busts. Aside from half of one season, Bowe has underperformed his draft spot every year...

"Fantasy" busts. Aside from half of one season, Bowe has underperformed his draft spot every year...

Bowe has outpeformed his rookie pick VBD average by a good margin. I don't know what you expect from late first round picks at the WR spot--but I have a feeling it's too much.

When the odds of a draft pick panning out are about...

1st Round - 50%

2nd Round - 35%

3rd Round - 30%

4th Round - 10%

5th+ Round - <5%

...it means that MOST players from ANY school are going to bust. Places like USC, LSU, and Florida just stand out because they put a lot of players in the draft and thus produce a lot of busts. I don't think Landry is going to be anything special, but if he fails it won't be because he went to LSU.

Users who are viewing this thread