What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Paul Richardson (1 Viewer)

ZWK

Footballguy
Pros:

Drafted with the 45th pick, before Davante Adams, Cody Lattimer, or Allen Robinson.

Has Russell Wilson as his quarterback.

Ran a 4.33 combine 40, according to the updated nfldraftscout times (0.02 slower than Brandin Cooks, 0.06 faster than Sammy Watkins), and was top 10 in the vertical & broad jumps.

Third most productive WR in college football in 2013, according to my numbers, behind Cooks & Evans. Had an 83/1343/10 stat line over 12 games. Accounted for 45% of his team's receiving yards, 48% of his team's receiving touchdowns, 28% of his team's offensive touchdowns, and 70% of his team's 40+ yard receptions. His yards per target was above average, and much higher than his team's yards per attempt when throwing to other players, despite his heavy usage.

Cons:

Skinny. 23.5 BMI at 6' 0 3/8", 175 lb.

Seattle has had a low number of pass attempts the past two years.

He is being rated a lot lower than his draft position would suggest (29th rookie at DLF), and it mostly seems to be because he's skinny. That's definitely a knock on him, but if Seattle was willing to take him ahead of those other receivers while knowing his size then maybe it shouldn't be knocking him down so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the system at all for receivers, especially not rookie receivers. Even Harvin is a downgrade in Seattle's system.

No. He's purely a distraction for defenses to loosen up the box for the running game. He'll undoubtedly catch some bombs but he won't be consistent or a guy you'll want outside best ball leagues.

I'm not going to argue too hard with Seattle given their track record on talent -- and Wilson looks good enough to me that I think he'll get turned loose eventually, particularly as the rest of the team gets raided via FA over the next few years. It'll probably require some patience, but I agree that he shouldn't be falling that far.

On draft days, Seahawks give their scouts a voice in defense of picksDoug Farrar

Excerpt:

The Seahawks traded down again, grabbing more late-round currency from the Lions, and finally made Colorado receiver Paul Richardson their first selection of the 2014 draft with the 45th pick. Soon after, Southwest area scout Matt Berry talked about why he pounded the table for the 6-foot, 175-pound young man who caught 83 passes for 1,343 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2013.

Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado — Second round, 45th overall pick

The primary thing that set Richardson apart for Berry? Richardson pretty much carried that offense by himself.

“He’s kind of unique,” Berry told me. “You see the skillset and you’re watching and you keep telling yourself he’s too small, he’s too small, he’s thin, and all he does is get open and make plays and make catches. Everybody on the field knows that he’s who they’re trying to go to and he still comes through. Then when you’re around him, you kind of get a feel for who he is, his makeup and confidence, his competitiveness. You really buy in.”

The Seahawks and Berry also had to navigate the fact that Richardson originally committed to UCLA but was one of three players subsequently booted from the program after pleading a felony theft charge down to a misdemeanor. The Seahawks did their background work, had Richardson speak to their team psychologist (not an occurrence meant to single Richardson out, the team clarified), and marked it down to youthful indiscretion.

“It’s really an immature incident that was blown out of proportion,” Berry said. “I think he’s moved on, he was basically a high school senior that hadn’t even started college yet. There’s a guy at Washington (defensive end Josh Shirley), his cousin at Arizona (receiver Shaquille Richardson), and they all kind of moved on from that.”

In the end, no matter what tape Schneider, receivers coach Kippy Brown and head coach Pete Carroll watched, they would rely on Berry for the detail. Berry, for his part, finds his job easier because he works for a team that tries to find the unique attributes in every prospect.

“It’s awesome. When we identify a guy that we think is going to fit in here and can get Coach excited about him or get the offensive staff excited about him, you know that they’re going to find a place for them to be successful and play to their strengths. I think Paul is no different from anybody else that you have seen. Guys that we have brought in later in the draft, [and] they have found roles. I think that’s how it will kind of transpire.”

I was going to start this exact same thread, but after my drafts were done this weekend.

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2520142/Small-talk-Seahawks-OK-with-Paul-Richardsons-size

Paul Richardson never weighed more than 161 pounds during his final season at Colorado, which is downright puny for an NFL wide receiver.

It's hardly unprecedented, though.

So when the Seahawks were evaluating Richardson before ultimately selecting him in the second round, something that helped allay their concerns about his size was a list compiled by a personnel member of the receivers who had successful careers despite weighing less than 180 pounds when they entered the league.

"It's like a who's who," general manager John Schneider recounted when he joined 710 ESPN Seattle's "Brock and Danny" on Monday. "Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Tony Martin. It's like a litany of names and we're just like, 'OK, he's got broad shoulders and he's probably going to end up being about 190 pounds.' "

Richardson said he's up to 183 pounds since last season, and the Seahawks feel confident that the added weight won't cut into the speed and quickness that are his most notable traits. There were times throughout Richardson's career at Colorado when his size disadvantage would work against him. But more often, Schneider said, his quickness would win out, allowing him to avoid being jammed by bigger defensive backs.

Rotoworld:

Colorado WR Paul Richardson will meet with the Jets this week, reports draft insider Tony Pauline.
"Second-round target?" Pauline wonders. Richardson's wiry frame (6'0/175 pounds) makes blocking and getting past press coverage a chore, but he's dynamite in the open field. "Uses the sidelines well, possesses good eye-hand coordination, and consistently makes catches away from his frame," Pauline writes in a scouting report. "Gets up in a crowd and fights to come away with the ball. Runs crisp routes, separates from defenders, and comes back into the clearing to make himself an available target. Plays with quickness and can run to the deep throw. A big-play receiver with a consistent game."

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Apr 20 - 8:56 PM
ESPN analyst Louis Riddick notes that Colorado WR Paul Richardson runs the "deep route tree" similar to DeSean Jackson.
"The way Richardson runs deep route tree reminds (me) of DeSean. Can carry speed through the "move point" as good as anyone," Riddick tweeted. Maturity and characters concerns aside, both Jackson and Richardson share the same type of frame (6'0/175 pounds) as well as explosiveness. If a team is looking for a vertical threat in the draft, Richardson could be had for a late second or third-round selection.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Mar 27 - 7:55 AM
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah compared Colorado WR Paul Richardson's play speed to Ted Ginn's.
"Richardson destroys pursuit angles when he gets in the open field. He has an extra gear." Jeremiah tweeted. The Colorado product can certainly get vertical downfield, which could earn him some Desean Jackson comparisons. We don't expect Richardson to be drafted in the top 50.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 10 - 5:02 PM
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Colorado WR Paul Richardson has "speed to burn and (is) very light on his feet."
Richardson "looks like he's 160 lbs on tape - very lean," Brugler tweeted. The Colorado receiver measured in at 6'0/175 pounds at the NFL Combine. "I like the speed of Richardson too, but his arrest and dismissal from UCLA is rarely talked about - some character/maturity concerns there," Brugler added. Richardson has a chance to be a late second-round pick, but third-round is more likely.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Mar 2 - 2:03 PM

Justin Gilbert, Dri Archer head race to be combine's fastest man

By Daniel Jeremiah

Excerpt:

5) Paul Richardson, WR, ColoradoThough he has a very thin build, Richardson is an explosive athlete who bursts off the line of scrimmage in his release and can find another gear once the ball is in the air. He has been compared to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, who has a similar frame and explosiveness. I don't think Richardson is quite as polished as Jackson as a route-runner, but I do believe he can match Jackson's top speed. Richardson posted respectable track times while in high school (10.62 seconds in the 100-meter dash) and he should produce one of the best times at the combine.

He's a talented guy. Not just fast. He made some ridiculous catches at Colorado.

He's a total stick figure though. Looks like a famine victim.

Maybe you're right and he's the next DeSean Jackson. Can he take a hit though? Already tore up his knee once and is hardly built for the NFL.

I like him quite a bit. He looked great when healthy at Colorado. I like his situation and I have him as my #11 WR.

So many talented options...

Paul Richardson being too skinny is eerily similar to Russell Wilson being too short.
I guess that's what they're banking on. Most successful NFL WRs fall between the 26.0-29.5 BMI range. A typical finesse WR like Reggie Wayne or AJ Green will be a 26.X and a typical "big" WR like Fitzgerald or Dez will be 28.X. The overwhelming majority of relevant FF WRs fall somewhere between those two poles.

There have been a few decent guys who were off the charts on the undersized end of the scale. Sidney Rice and Justin Hunter are 24.X. DeSean Jackson is probably the thinnest good current NFL WR (by some margin) and he checks in at a 24.5. Now that you have that frame of reference, consider that Richardson is a 23.5. A full point below DeSean.

I'm not going to collect all the data and do all the math, but this might be the skinniest WR drafted in the top 100 in the past decade. The Seahawks are gambling that he can succeed despite that. Maybe they are right, but they're definitely going out on a limb with this one.

It might be worth pointing out that Rice, Richardson, and Hunter have all had ACL injuries in their football careers. Could be that their body type is not as well equipped to deal with the rigors of football and the strain of playing WR. It's not a death sentence, but something to watch.

Paul Richardson being too skinny is eerily similar to Russell Wilson being too short.
I guess that's what they're banking on. Most successful NFL WRs fall between the 26.0-29.5 BMI range. A typical finesse WR like Reggie Wayne or AJ Green will be a 26.X and a typical "big" WR like Fitzgerald or Dez will be 28.X. The overwhelming majority of relevant FF WRs fall somewhere between those two poles.

There have been a few decent guys who were off the charts on the undersized end of the scale. Sidney Rice and Justin Hunter are 24.X. DeSean Jackson is probably the thinnest good current NFL WR (by some margin) and he checks in at a 24.5. Now that you have that frame of reference, consider that Richardson is a 23.5. A full point below DeSean.

I'm not going to collect all the data and do all the math, but this might be the skinniest WR drafted in the top 100 in the past decade. The Seahawks are gambling that he can succeed despite that. Maybe they are right, but they're definitely going out on a limb with this one.

It might be worth pointing out that Rice, Richardson, and Hunter have all had ACL injuries in their football careers. Could be that their body type is not as well equipped to deal with the rigors of football and the strain of playing WR. It's not a death sentence, but something to watch.
It's 24.5 using 6-0.5/183.

It's 24.5 using 6-0.5/183.
I use DraftScout for my combine numbers wherever possible and they have him at 6' 3/8" and 175 pounds.

The 175 pound weight is corroborated by nflcombineresults.com:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Paul&l=Richardson&i=21138

Perhaps on just stock alone this guy is gold in early drafts. You're going to get him at a 3rd and he's a speedster you'll probably hear good things about in camp. Even if you use this as a buy low, sell high it's a great bet. If he starts creeping out of the 3rd I wouldn't buy it. I don't think he will though, too much out there. He does look eerily like Desean in his highlights.

The best and the worst thing about Seattle is that they give everyone a shot and do their best to get the best players on the field. So, while it wouldn't surprise me to see the 'Hawks try to air it out a lot more often with the two speed guys (Harvin and Richardson) on the field at the same time, it also wouldn't surprise me to see Richardson of punt and kick cover with reps in the return game.

I personally don't care about injuries until it happens more then once. Richardson played a full season last year and should be able to fix any body/strength imbalances with the Seahawks trainers. His injury history is more of a yellow flag than a red flag as of right now.

The character concerns don't mean anything to me. I think if they were to pop up again it would've been when he was rehabbing his knee.

The problem is in the uncertainty of his role in the offence. He can be very effective for the team without putting up a FF effective stat line.

I guess the question is what's his rookie draft value/ranking?

Somewhere between Denarius Moore and TY Hilton. Nice safe pick who should definitely increase in value.
I like the TY Hilton comparison. He has nice moves when in space and has the speed to just run by someone. That Seattle offense should have the option to play how they want next year.

There's another WR in this year's draft class whose physical profile is even closer to Hilton's.

Hilton:

5'9.5"
183 lb.
26.6 BMI
4.34 40
35.5" vert
9'11" broad
4.36 shuttle
7.03 3cone
7 bench reps

Other WR:

5'10.0"
179 lb.
25.7 BMI
4.34 40
36.5" vert
9'11" broad
4.12 shuttle
6.91 3cone
8 bench reps

Hilton was taken with the 92nd pick of the 2012 draft. This other WR was taken with the 91st pick of this draft.

I just struggle to see him as great option for fantasy, partly because of his size and how he likely translates to the NFL, and partly because of the offense he ended up in. I might still end up with him on a few teams since there are plenty of other owners that overlook him even more than I do, but I really think this was a reach by Seattle. And no, Seattle doesn't always hit with their picks.

I don't know how Richardson slipped through the cracks, but special thanks to OP. After stumbling across this thread I decided to look into this kid. Now I know who to select with my 2.08.

The film shows a guy getting open on every play against man or zone coverage using the whole route tree. Short, intermediate, deep - doesn't matter he does it all. At the combine he demonstrated damn good speed and explosiveness. As the OP points out, he posted stellar stats in relation to his surroundings at Colorado.

I will absolutely ignore the "he's too skinny" argument. For one thing, he can bulk up as the Seahawks expect (see post #5). They seem to think he has the frame for it. For another, his sleekness being his only major detriment, it may not even matter. Many many players make up for a glaring weakness by having excess talents or skills. Skinny Richard already succeeded in college at his size, against decent competition. It's worth the risk he can do it in the NFL at the current price.

I will absolutely ignore the "he's too skinny" argument. For one thing, he can bulk up as the Seahawks expect (see post #5). They seem to think he has the frame for it. For another, his sleekness being his only major detriment, it may not even matter. Many many players make up for a glaring weakness by having excess talents or skills. Skinny Richard already succeeded in college at his size, against decent competition. It's worth the risk he can do it in the NFL at the current price.
I agree with you on Richardson overall, and like his chances of developing into a solid NFL WR, but IMO you're being a bit too cavalier in dismissing his build as a potentially major red flag. I've read a few places that he played at 161 lbs in college -- and at over six feet that's not just thin, it makes Randy Moss look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's not a total deal breaker for me, but it's definitely reason for some caution.

I agree with you on Richardson overall, and like his chances of developing into a solid NFL WR, but IMO you're being a bit too cavalier in dismissing his build as a potentially major red flag. I've read a few places that he played at 161 lbs in college -- and at over six feet that's not just thin, it makes Randy Moss look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's not a total deal breaker for me, but it's definitely reason for some caution.
He's lucky that he has the Seahawks...um, "weight training" program...

Coeur de Lion said:
I doubt he plays on Sunday at that weight.

Body type is largely genetic. You can't turn Todd Pinkston into Terrell Owens with an NFL weight program.

Colorado is major D1 football. Richardson was there for four years. I'd venture to guess that he spent plenty of time inside the weight room.

Love him or hate him, he's probably pretty close to his "real" physique by now.

That kind of speed with Wilson's ability to throw a great deep ball could make for some pretty exciting plays.

Body type is largely genetic. You can't turn Todd Pinkston into Terrell Owens with an NFL weight program.

Colorado is major D1 football. Richardson was there for four years. I'd venture to guess that he spent plenty of time inside the weight room.

He can easily gain 10-15lbs as a professional athlete. Seattle thinks he can get up to 190, even if that's still on the skinny side. Nobody claimed he'd ever look like David Boston.

He can easily gain 10-15lbs as a professional athlete. Seattle thinks he can get up to 190, even if that's still on the skinny side. Nobody claimed he'd ever look like David Boston.
I don't know if it's going to be that easy. I think most of these guys have a natural playing weight and by the time they're coming into the league they're usually pretty close to that figure. Adding muscle is harder than people make it out to be, especially when you're talking about someone who has already been in a heavy duty weight program for several years. Where are the gains going to come from? I think any time there is an undersized prospect in the draft, people who like him are too quick to assume that he's going to be able to pack on pounds like it's as simple as flipping a switch. That's not quite how it works. In Richardson's case, it's especially unlikely since he did four years in college and is already 22 years old. He's probably a little closer to his "real" physique than guys like Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, and Allen Robinson who are just 20 years old still.

I think he's a talented guy and I'm curious to see how the pick works out, but I wouldn't operate under the assumption that he's going to get much bigger.

I don't know if it's going to be that easy. I think most of these guys have a natural playing weight and by the time they're coming into the league they're usually pretty close to that figure. Adding muscle is harder than people make it out to be, especially when you're talking about someone who has already been in a heavy duty weight program for several years. Where are the gains going to come from? I think any time there is an undersized prospect in the draft, people who like him are too quick to assume that he's going to be able to pack on pounds like it's as simple as flipping a switch. That's not quite how it works. In Richardson's case, it's especially unlikely since he did four years in college and is already 22 years old. He's probably a little closer to his "real" physique than guys like Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, and Allen Robinson who are just 20 years old still.I think he's a talented guy and I'm curious to see how the pick works out, but I wouldn't operate under the assumption that he's going to get much bigger.
I respect your opinion as much as anybody. So, we don't have to belabor the point. I like Richardson whether he gains weight or not, especially at his ADP in rookie drafts.

Let me ask you, his stature notwithstanding, what did you think of this guy on tape? I personally can find no glaring weakness other than the obvious. I think he can do it all as a receiver; he's certainly much more than a deep threat.

Let me ask you, his stature notwithstanding, what did you think of this guy on tape? I personally can find no glaring weakness other than the obvious. I think he can do it all as a receiver; he's certainly much more than a deep threat.
I think he's pretty good. His speed is a little bit built up, but once he hits that top gear he runs away from people. He has good hands and can make ridiculous catches. Pretty good quickness and fluidity. Okay after the catch. He is a good enough route runner. Better going deep than in possession situations. He doesn't quite explode out of his breaks like some other receivers in this draft and he can get bullied at the catch point. You kind of cringe every time he takes a hit because he looks so feeble out there.

I think the OP was on to something in terms of Richardson being a little bit underrated. The Seahawks aren't stupid and for them to have taken him this high means they must have seen some good things in him. He wasn't a popular pick in the FF community in the build up to the draft, so I think when he went that high people sort of disregarded it. I thought it was a suspect pick, but just by virtue of how high he went and who picked him, he should probably be going a little higher in rookie drafts than where he has been.

At the same time, a lot of it comes back to the physique. He's very, very lean for an NFL WR. Almost unprecedented. The Seahawks are making a statement that they don't think it matters, but until we see someone with that body type have success, it's hard not to worry about it. Even guys like TY Hilton, Marvin Harrison, and DeSean Jackson are thicker than him. He's an interesting experiment to test the boundaries.

I think he's pretty good. His speed is a little bit built up, but once he hits that top gear he runs away from people. He has good hands and can make ridiculous catches. Pretty good quickness and fluidity. Okay after the catch. He is a good enough route runner. Better going deep than in possession situations. He doesn't quite explode out of his breaks like some other receivers in this draft and he can get bullied at the catch point.
We pretty much agree on this prospect.

If we're using buzz words, I say Richardson's one of the most fluid receivers in this draft. I agree with you, he runs good enough routes as is; he sells the double move as good as anybody. But he could improve his routes with a little more sharpness, especially the short out; maybe he does. But I definitely see enough talent for him to run great routes in the NFL.

Richardson gets separation, so as long as his quarterback gets him the ball on time, bullying won't be an issue. Marvin Harrison succeeded in this way while receiving passes from Peyton Manning. I'm really not sure what kind of anticipation Russell Wilson has, as I don't get to watch him much. At least Richardson will get open deep though, and Wilson can get it to him in those situations.

You're right though, while not terrible after the catch, Richardson doesn't inspire either.

Penguin said:
I actually think Norwood is a better long term play
I like Norwood quite a bit but I feel like he has WR3 type upside.

Richardson I think has a higher ceiling (WR 2 potential).

Either will need passing attempts for WIlson to go up to be of much value. I do think that is possible, that they begin having Wilson throw the ball a bit more frequently. However what they have been doing is working. So not much need to change that either.

One of these guys replaces Tate, which is not very exciting to me. Richardson does have the higher upside here so I think he is worth rostering, while Norwood is very borderline in that regard I think, because even if he does win the X WR role I don't think he has the same potential as Richardson to perform better than a WR3.

I'd put him more in the mold of AJ Jenkins, Tavarres King and Kenny Stills than Desean and TY Hilton. Throw him into WR purgatory in Seattle and I don't think there's really much to see here. But he's not someone I feel super strongly about either way.

I like the Richardson pick, and think that he has the speed to get open and stretch the field. The big question that no one has asked.... will the O-Line give Wilson enough time to get him the ball?

I liked Kearse as a sleeper pick before the draft, seems Richardson hurts that potential a tad but could be an interesting trio with these two and harvin.

Ended up with him in two leagues at 3.1.

A fast 2nd round WR with a great young QB - I'll take my chances in the 3rd over a bunch of RB long shots.

This was the highest the Seahawks under Carroll have taken a WR (2.45) and the only time he's taken one in the 2nd was Golden Tate (2.60)

Not with the reps he put up at the combine

I don't know if it's going to be that easy. I think most of these guys have a natural playing weight and by the time they're coming into the league they're usually pretty close to that figure. Adding muscle is harder than people make it out to be, especially when you're talking about someone who has already been in a heavy duty weight program for several years. Where are the gains going to come from? I think any time there is an undersized prospect in the draft, people who like him are too quick to assume that he's going to be able to pack on pounds like it's as simple as flipping a switch. That's not quite how it works. In Richardson's case, it's especially unlikely since he did four years in college and is already 22 years old. He's probably a little closer to his "real" physique than guys like Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, and Allen Robinson who are just 20 years old still.

I think he's a talented guy and I'm curious to see how the pick works out, but I wouldn't operate under the assumption that he's going to get much bigger.
I think it might be a mistake to assume that any non-lineman is heavily vested in a college weight training program.

RENTON, Wash. -- After an impressive first day at rookie minicamp, Seahawks wide receiver Paul Richardson did not practice Saturday, but it was only a precautionary measure.

Richardson had a nasty collision with a defensive back on a deep pass at the end of practice Friday, but he got up quickly and walked off the field with no problems. Richardson even attended a team reception later Friday afternoon in the VMAC lobby.

The Seahawks' coaches just don’t want to take any chances with their top draft choice, who wowed everyone with his blazing speed on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread