What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (2 Viewers)

it has been said 10,000 ways but somehow weather reports/reporters continue to find new ways to create clickbaity previews

"stay tuned for a weather aware day update. there's some real potential here for severe weather moving in to the area, folks. we're talking potential for wind gusts up to 50-60 mph, hail, severe lightning and thunder... up next in 7 minutes."

"buckle up, it looks like we've got a system moving in some time in the next week.. as soon as tomorrow but as far out as maybe next Sunday... with some real potential for possible weather. looking at high winds blowing in from the south, or east, or north, or west with the possible potential for rain which could be heavy at times that might impact those of you who could be traveling through the affected areas.... up next at 9."

the updates get more breathy and urgent and the weather maps more colorful but vague. the language gets more severe and excited..... but  the timing of the storm shifts.

then the big reveal! and the radar shows light rain hundreds of miles away.. that won't ever get remotely near our viewing area. in fact, we'll come to find out that it won't rain in our neck of the woods for weeks but you can guarantee that every single day the weather man will hyperventilate about the possibility of explosive, life changing, historical weather events bearing down on our area which happens to span hundreds of miles to the north, south and west.

i get the need to alert people to the possibility of flooding and tornadoes, etc. but maybe don't cry wolf every day & people would pay attention? 

it has been said 10,000 ways but somehow weather reports/reporters continue to find new ways to create clickbaity previews

"stay tuned for a weather aware day update. there's some real potential here for severe weather moving in to the area, folks. we're talking potential for wind gusts up to 50-60 mph, hail, severe lightning and thunder... up next in 7 minutes."

"buckle up, it looks like we've got a system moving in some time in the next week.. as soon as tomorrow but as far out as maybe next Sunday... with some real potential for possible weather. looking at high winds blowing in from the south, or east, or north, or west with the possible potential for rain which could be heavy at times that might impact those of you who could be traveling through the affected areas.... up next at 9."

the updates get more breathy and urgent and the weather maps more colorful but vague. the language gets more severe and excited..... but  the timing of the storm shifts.

then the big reveal! and the radar shows light rain hundreds of miles away.. that won't ever get remotely near our viewing area. in fact, we'll come to find out that it won't rain in our neck of the woods for weeks but you can guarantee that every single day the weather man will hyperventilate about the possibility of explosive, life changing, historical weather events bearing down on our area which happens to span hundreds of miles to the north, south and west.

i get the need to alert people to the possibility of flooding and tornadoes, etc. but maybe don't cry wolf every day & people would pay attention? 
I'll add that living in the metro area in MN, they cover their butts so much it is annoying.  The station I watch now has a new toy where they have two prediction models they use and now have to tell us.  They have a map overlay of the two differen't model's predictions (like a Venn diagram) and without a doubt, the metro area is in the overlay which means the forecast always sounds like "if you're in the metro you'll get somewhere between 2 and 472 inches of snow and the temps will either be 25 degrees and calm or 72 below with hurricane force winds."

I'll add that living in the metro area in MN, they cover their butts so much it is annoying.  The station I watch now has a new toy where they have two prediction models they use and now have to tell us.  They have a map overlay of the two differen't model's predictions (like a Venn diagram) and without a doubt, the metro area is in the overlay which means the forecast always sounds like "if you're in the metro you'll get somewhere between 2 and 472 inches of snow and the temps will either be 25 degrees and calm or 72 below with hurricane force winds."
awful

we're getting weather alerts for rain storms in the Dakotas. that's 500 miles from here. 

i'm hopeful that the 1" of rain doesn't harm the crops in Kentucky but.. i don't need a panicked alert from my weather guy every 3 minutes. seems like the number of people here who might possibly be impacted by a storm system in the Smokies numbers in the... single digits on the high end.

i'm watching the weather already. no need to bait me in.  

awful

we're getting weather alerts for rain storms in the Dakotas. that's 500 miles from here. 

i'm hopeful that the 1" of rain doesn't harm the crops in Kentucky but.. i don't need a panicked alert from my weather guy every 3 minutes. seems like the number of people here who might possibly be impacted by a storm system in the Smokies numbers in the... single digits on the high end.

i'm watching the weather already. no need to bait me in.  
Hey Mr. Furley, there's a chance of severe weather in the US this week.  Check back here in 20 minutes and I'll let you know if you're in the path.  Stay tuned.

How many of you work for a company that buys other companies and essentially has the newly added  staff sit there all day and not pursue any other work?  

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning a guy always t-boned me.  As cars are letting a car go each time and there's no traffic in front of us, but dead stop traffic behind, when it was my turn, I did not let someone out.  But guy at the stop sign gunned it and came inches from hitting my passenger side.  He then laid on the horn.  For the next 10 minutes, he was the car behind me and was fuming at me, yelling and banging on his steering wheel.  Pointing at me and flipping me off.  I waved at him.  

The crazy thing is, this guy thought he was right and I was wrong.  Like, he was genuinely upset and thought I was wrong because I didn't stop where there was no stop sign to let him go while he sat at a stop sign.  :crazy:
I could seriously write one of these every day.  I thought maybe people were getting worse, but maybe it is just a SE PA thing.  Because I started noticing it when I moved back this way.

Yesterday, driving home from work.  Again, two lane state highways.  Traffic heavy, stop and go, but moving as it always does.  Come to a T-Intersection with a red light.  The car three cars in front of me stops at the green and waves out a car with the red light, turning right, into our lane of travel.  I'm like, WTH?  But then she lets out another one.  And then another one.  And yet another one.  I lay on the horn from 3 cars back since the other two cars in front are ok with this.  As she reaches out the window to give me a shrugging sing, like "What's wrong?", our light turns yellow and then red.  

As all of those cars from the street that had the red light all now start to make rights into our lane.  I would love to think at that point she went, "Oh.  I get why he was upset now."  But no chance that crossed her mind.

I don't, but wonder how this plays out....
Imagine being told you can’t pursue work, but still expected to maintain a certain utilization rate.  If there’s no billable work to do and you are not allowed to pursue work, is it your fault your UT rate is not what it should be?  Apparently it is even though you’re told it’s not. Gotta love consulting.  :crazy:

Imagine being told you can’t pursue work, but still expected to maintain a certain utilization rate.  If there’s no billable work to do and you are not allowed to pursue work, is it your fault your UT rate is not what it should be?  Apparently it is even though you’re told it’s not. Gotta love consulting.  :crazy:
:scratcheshead:

A guy at work has none of his application windows maximized.  Just a ton of windows opened that litter his desktop.  And he's always presenting during meetings.  I swear, I haven't heard a word he's said because all I can think about is pushing him out of the way and maximizing all of his windows.  I've only seen a couple people do this and it bothers me every time.  

TheIronSheik said:
I could seriously write one of these every day.  I thought maybe people were getting worse, but maybe it is just a SE PA thing.  Because I started noticing it when I moved back this way.

Yesterday, driving home from work.  Again, two lane state highways.  Traffic heavy, stop and go, but moving as it always does.  Come to a T-Intersection with a red light.  The car three cars in front of me stops at the green and waves out a car with the red light, turning right, into our lane of travel.  I'm like, WTH?  But then she lets out another one.  And then another one.  And yet another one.  I lay on the horn from 3 cars back since the other two cars in front are ok with this.  As she reaches out the window to give me a shrugging sing, like "What's wrong?", our light turns yellow and then red.  

As all of those cars from the street that had the red light all now start to make rights into our lane.  I would love to think at that point she went, "Oh.  I get why he was upset now."  But no chance that crossed her mind.
What the heck is this?  I've never seen it happen, and I thought Texans were not good drivers.  That's just nuts.

What the heck is this?  I've never seen it happen, and I thought Texans were not good drivers.  That's just nuts.
It's an adventure every day.  I think it all leads back to idiots thinking they're being nice.  But they're too stupid to realize they are affecting others poorly in the process.  The problem, as it is with most things, is that the world is filled with idiots.  Idiots who think they're smart.  

Can't wait to see what tonight's drive will bring.  

A guy at work has none of his application windows maximized.  Just a ton of windows opened that litter his desktop.  And he's always presenting during meetings.  I swear, I haven't heard a word he's said because all I can think about is pushing him out of the way and maximizing all of his windows.  I've only seen a couple people do this and it bothers me every time.  
You maximize your windows?  weirdo

People that browse the freezer section of the grocery store with the glass door open. Noticed this about two months ago. Ever since i have been paying attention to it. Cant believe how common it is. 

People waiting to turn left, and waiting until there is a six-block gap in the oncoming traffic to complete the turn.
You reminded me of another one.  Seems like most of my pet peeves are other drivers.  

I hate the people who sit at a 4 way stop and wait to see if you come to a complete stop before they start their slow trek across the intersection.  

People waiting to turn left, and waiting until there is a six-block gap in the oncoming traffic to complete the turn.
add on the people turning left who don't pull out in to the intersection a bit to declare intent and/or who do but decide that backing up when they pass up the opportunity to turn is a terrific idea.

had a lady pull this on me the other day. she pulled all the way in to the intersection, i moved forward accordingly.. she passed up multiple opportunities to turn left.. cars piled up behind me.. the light turned red and she decided that she had to back up to clear the intersection except there was no way anyone else could back up to accommodate her. so she started blowing her horn and waving her arms like a maniac while everyone at each light marveled at her inability to... just.... #######.... turn left.

nobody at any of the lights moved because she had effectively blocked that possibility. thankfully it was a quick light and she got the green arrow to turn left so she moved.

i wondered then if there was some city worker watching the intersection camera who accelerated the red/green schedule so she could move and clear up the mess.

You reminded me of another one.  Seems like most of my pet peeves are other drivers.  

I hate the people who sit at a 4 way stop and wait to see if you come to a complete stop before they start their slow trek across the intersection.  
Yep drivers suck. I hate when people park in stupid ways in mostly empty parking lots. More often than not just parking normal takes the same amount of time. Sure 99 out of 100 times it doesnt matter that you are taking up two spots and are halfway in the driving lane in the back part of the parking lot. But sometimes it does and it doesnt affect you to just park properly. 

client:  what are all my options here?

me: here are 3 options. the first is my recommendation as it fits your current setup. the second is possible but would require a bit more work based on current realities and the third would actually be best long-term but seems the least applicable for your situation now based on current settings.

client: (rails against the 3rd option for 15 minutes. complains that the systems should not work this way.... can't understand why this is an option... why would i have presented this to them, etc. etc.) 

me: well, the third suggestion was presented because it's a possibility that exists if you tweak a couple things in your current model. i presented it because you asked for all options. this is something that's very popular for other clients. it's something you might want to consider in the future as it's actually easier but would require changes to your current setup. 

client: (rails against the 2nd option for 10 minutes)

me: again, a viable option but would require some changes to your current process. the first is really your best & cleanest option currently.

client: right, which is why i'm choosing #1.

me: (screaming internally)
I'd guess this is kind of normal operating procedure for most jobs... no?

I worked for a "starchitect" in my younger days- he'd have us design up to 10 options for a building, knowing full well we had already sold the person on the original option. the idea was to solidify that original option as the winner by showing a bunch of losers. except we'd have to design the damn things as if they might get chosen. so many hours and lost sleep wasted. I work at a place that is more about optimizing billing and hours- we still present at least two options for every design step along the way.. it's what we're being paid to do. 

but yeah, the client who asked for the options and then got pissed at you for presenting them :loco:  

Ice cube trays. For the love of God refill the ice cube trays and don't just put the empty ones back in the freezer.

I will murder someone over empty ice cube trays.
empty jars and bottles are ok though. (looking at you, floppinho).

My wife is a pain when it comes to reusing plates. Like I will have just finished cooking, grabbed three plates, and have started plating the food and she is like oh wait, I have a plate already. So now I wait while she goes to get said plate that she forget where she put it since it was in the way all day, and put the other plate back in the cupboard. Plates, the easiest and most efficient loading thing that can go in the dishwasher. 

No harm right? Why not use even a tiny bit less water if you can. 

Well then when she cooks she has to use every special kitchen tool there is. So there will be multiple pots and pans, a slotted spoon, a regular spoon, tongs, spatula, garlic press, the half teaspoon, the full teaspoon, the tablespoon, the half cup, the full cup, the food processor, the chopping knife, the ice cream scoop to get some sour cream, and on and on and on.

You don't have a fridge with an ice maker?   :oldunsure:
Yeah. It broke. The set of appliances we bought about 4 years ago are falling apart one by one. I know I can buy a new one and easily install it into this fridge, but I'm not spending .10 on these appliances.

My wife is a pain when it comes to reusing plates. Like I will have just finished cooking, grabbed three plates, and have started plating the food and she is like oh wait, I have a plate already. So now I wait while she goes to get said plate that she forget where she put it since it was in the way all day, and put the other plate back in the cupboard. Plates, the easiest and most efficient loading thing that can go in the dishwasher. 
I don't follow this at all.

Ice cube trays. For the love of God refill the ice cube trays and don't just put the empty ones back in the freezer.

Fridges that don’t have automatic ice makers are the worst. 

This is me every time I'm visiting my parents over a holiday. Tons of family around, but not one of them seems to want to bother with the simple fact of refilling the trays. I'm actually not sure which is worse - when the bin and trays are all empty, or when the bin is empty and there are 3 cubes left in the two trays (like some people knew they should refill the tray if they emptied it, so they took the effort to remove individual cubes instead of emptying the whole tray into the bin).

TheIronSheik said:
You know what stinks? When you totally misjudge a light and end up pretty blatantly running a red with no good excuse while your wife and kid are in the car with you.  It's not because you put them and others in harm's way or risked getting a ticket, but because then you feel like you can't complain about other drivers for at least the next week or so.

:bag:

This is me every time I'm visiting my parents over a holiday. Tons of family around, but not one of them seems to want to bother with the simple fact of refilling the trays. I'm actually not sure which is worse - when the bin and trays are all empty, or when the bin is empty and there are 3 cubes left in the two trays (like some people knew they should refill the tray if they emptied it, so they took the effort to remove individual cubes instead of emptying the whole tray into the bin).
This is my family.  If anyone wants ice, no one will  empty a tray into the bucket.  They will take out their cubes, and then put the half empty tray back in the freezer.  It drives me absolutely bonkers and I rage every time I see it.  No one understands why it bothers me so much, so no one will change their practice.  I once gathered the entire family in the kitchen to time test how long it takes to get 3-4 cubes out of the tray and put it back in the freezer compared to dumping the whole thing, filling it up, and putting it in the freezer, and explaining the extra 10 seconds it takes to empty and fill is respectful to others in the house, but no one cares.

I assume all the ice lovers are using it for mixed drinks right? Otherwise what do you need so much ice for?

Our ice cube tray usually ends up with itty bitty ice cubes in it because we use ice so infrequently they evaporate. 

I assume all the ice lovers are using it for mixed drinks right? Otherwise what do you need so much ice for?

Our ice cube tray usually ends up with itty bitty ice cubes in it because we use ice so infrequently they evaporate. 
The two things I drink the most each day, water and unsweetened iced tea.

As jhib said, ice water and tea.  Also when someone in the house took the last pop of preference out of the fridge and didn't put more in so there aren't any cold.

Also yes, mixed drinks.

Yeah. It broke. The set of appliances we bought about 4 years ago are falling apart one by one. I know I can buy a new one and easily install it into this fridge, but I'm not spending .10 on these appliances.
Our filtered water stopped working a few months ago.  I don't want to sink any money into the crappy used fridge we bought when we moved into our place.  I assume I'll need to buy a new fridge in a couple years so dealing with tap water for now.

My personal favorite is the 1 cube left move, so you don't have to refill the tray. This is a popular move in my house it seems, goes well with the one cookie left in the package and the 2oz of milk in the carton.

My personal favorite is the 1 cube left move, so you don't have to refill the tray. This is a popular move in my house it seems, goes well with the one cookie left in the package and the 2oz of milk in the carton.
Yeah. My kids think they are being shrewd.

What they don't know is every time I find something like this I'm mentally deducting $10 from their car fund for when they turn 16.

Users who are viewing this thread