Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fantasycurse42

Can we discuss pet peeves here?

Speaking of grass cutting, what is so hard about cutting the edges so that the grass blows back into the lawn? 

I hate people that blast it into the road or on the sidewalk. 

And dont give me the "i use the leaf blower after i am done" crap. Just be smarter cutting and you dont have to worry about it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, belljr said:

You want it up?

I mean I leave it up until airborne (you are supposed to).   

I don't need it up the whole time.  But when we're sitting on the tarmac or when were about 20 minutes from landing, it's nice to be able to look out the window and gauge how much time you have left until takeoff/landing.  It's also nice to every so often look over and see outside.  Takes my mind off being crammed inside a tuna can with hundreds of people I hate.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Speaking of grass cutting, what is so hard about cutting the edges so that the grass blows back into the lawn? 

And dont give me the "i use the leaf blower after i am done" crap. Just be smarter cutting and you dont have to worry about it. 

My buddy got fined by the borough for blowing a little grass in the street with his mower :lol:

14 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I don't need it up the whole time.  But when we're sitting on the tarmac or when were about 20 minutes from landing, it's nice to be able to look out the window and gauge how much time you have left until takeoff/landing.  It's also nice to every so often look over and see outside.  Takes my mind off being crammed inside a tuna can with hundreds of people I hate.

ok more on board then!!!!!!!!!

Once airborne I usually leave it down if too sunny and watching vids.  But definitely UP when final approach waiting for take off etc!@!#@!#@

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

um mine mulches and thats where it ends up when mowing the edge :unsure:  there is no chute....

Edited by belljr
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

My buddy got fined by the borough for blowing a little grass in the street with his mower :lol:

I would bet it wasnt just a little grass if he got fined. He probably lets his grass get too long and does it every time. I swear some places it is like they bag it and dump it on the sidewalk. 

3 minutes ago, belljr said:

um mine mulches and thats where it ends up when moving the edge :unsure:  there is no chute....

That would put barely any grass on the sidewalk. Unless you do the edge with 3/4 of the mower on the sidewalk. In that case we have identified the problem and now you can stop doing it. 

Or you are turning around on the sidewalk. 

Edited by parasaurolophus

4 minutes ago, belljr said:

ok more on board then!!!!!!!!!

Once airborne I usually leave it down if too sunny and watching vids.  But definitely UP when final approach waiting for take off etc!@!#@!#@

Yup.  Totally understand the sun shining or watching a video.  The person on Monday I sat next to (completely full flight and since I booked my flight on Saturday, I was lucky enough to have a middle seat) put the window down and then stared at the back of the seat for 90 minutes.  I was reading and had to use my light.  Coming home last night, the lady did the same thing.  Just stared at the blank screen on the seat in front of her.  I felt like I was in a CPU simulation and they didn't have enough computing power to give all the NPC's actions.  I sat next to cyborgs.

• Laughing 1

On 5/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, ghostguy123 said:

You could have just ended it here, the rest is just gravy on the pet peeve sandwich.  

I have read somewhere the correct move here would be to just decide and make it happen, without suggesting anything after she asks "i dont know, what do you want".  Women like take charge kind of men.  Apparently.  I dont know.  I dont know what they want.  It changes during the middle of their own sentences.

You know why women want us to decide where/what to do/eat?

So they don't have to end up hating their own decision (which happens like 70-80% of the time). By the man choosing, we become the scapegoat for the "poor decision". 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

local news ran a story on how grass left on sidewalks or roads is "as slippery as glass" for cars/bikes/walkers/runners.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

local news ran a story on how grass left on sidewalks or roads is "as slippery as glass" for cars/bikes/walkers/runners.

Now just imagine the grass were black...

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

Motorcylcists seem to be the big push behind the safety element of this in Wisconsin. But take that with a grain of salt, because plenty of them also think really loud motorcycles, not wearing helmets, and riding on the center line are safer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

I have never walked, run, ridden a bike, or driven a motorcycle on glass before, so is it actually slippery?

Edited by ghostguy123

1 minute ago, ghostguy123 said:

I have never walked, run, ridden a bike, or driven a motorcycle on glass before, so is it actually slippery?

hm, i can see where a motorcycle or bike might get a little slippery if you hit it at just the right angle, at speed & maybe it was either wet or there were a fairly sizable pile of grass to ride over.

running...... no. maybe it would increase the speed at which you fall if you managed to slip on it because you stumbled or something but if you're just running along and someone didn't sweep the walk after mowing... no.

Just now, mr. furley said:

hm, i can see where a motorcycle or bike might get a little slippery if you hit it at just the right angle, at speed & maybe it was either wet or there were a fairly sizable pile of grass to ride over.

running...... no. maybe it would increase the speed at which you fall if you managed to slip on it because you stumbled or something but if you're just running along and someone didn't sweep the walk after mowing... no.

Well if a pit bull ran out in front of you and you tried to stop, you could probably slip.

• Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

either way, cutting the grass so that you shoot grass all over the road makes the home owners look stupid.  

it is super inconsiderate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mr. furley said:

I don't leave it there but the pet peeve is it should never be there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belljr said:

I don't leave it there but the pet peeve is it should never be there

you'll get no argument from me

On 6/14/2019 at 7:52 AM, belljr said:

You want it up?

I mean I leave it up until airborne (you are supposed to).   

I think maybe you guys are describing different things here. When you say you leave it up until airborne, you actually mean you leave the shade covering the window right? 

I have never seen an airplane window shade that covers the window moving from bottom up. 

I have also never encountered a flight crew ask people to lift the shades on a runway. However almost every time i am in orlando or vegas they ask us to the shade down to help keep the plane cool while we are on the ground. 

On 6/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, need2know said:

your wife cuts the grass?  wow mine hasnt touched a lawnmower in her life.  you should feel blessed

Mine either.

”The smell of exhaust and grass makes me nauseous”

:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Weekend tourists.

I get that you're not from or live in NYC...but you don't have to act like you've never seen a street or sidewalk before.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:25 AM, TheIronSheik said:

Maybe your seat mate doesn’t want you looking across their personal space, or worse yet, accidentally making eye contact to initiate dreaded in-flight conversation?

Or maybe they like to be surprised when they land?

15 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I don't know where the "life hacks" thing came from, but make it stop.  

I can’t stand that term/concept either. Also dislike use of “shtick” in this forum

• Thanks 1

Just now, El Floppo said:

Antischtickite

shocked this alias hasn't been taken yet

@antishticktite

• Thinking 1

6 hours ago, Jobber said:

Mine either.

”The smell of exhaust and grass makes me nauseous”

:rolleyes:

Buy an cordless electric mower.  Buy it for your anniversary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Buy an cordless electric mower.  Buy it for your anniversary.

Back in the 90's, I used one of these for a few seasons, but it got to be a pain in the butt keeping the old blades sharp.

I switched to an electric with a cord. The thing eventually died on me. I have been using a gas mower since. I really need to try one of these newer cordless ones out.

7 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Back in the 90's, I used one of these for a few seasons, but it got to be a pain in the butt keeping the old blades sharp.

I switched to an electric with a cord. The thing eventually died on me. I have been using a gas mower since. I really need to try one of these newer cordless ones out.

We had one for twenty years.  The first one lasted about fifteen years.  When it went, I got a new one on Amazon.  I never thought I would care about a lawn mower, but they were great.  (Black and Decker FYI.)

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, belljr said:

I know my wife can take a 15 minute task and turn it into 2 hours...

so there is that

probably not all "tasks"

we've all got our commuting peeves... most of you drive, I walk, subway and bike (NYC).

as you sane people could imagine, the unwritten obvious code for getting onto the subway is to stand to the side of the doors on the platform as people get out, and then get in- moving into the car as far as possible to allow the people behind to gain access and to avoid standing in the doorway for the subsequent stops. seems obvious, right? right. if we're in a packed train and forced to stand near the door, we'll get out at the next stop to make room, and then get back in.

today, the second train was packed at arrival- but I know most people get out at the stop, so we stay immediately to the side as the horde pours out- to be fair, taking longer than normal- tons of people. the people on the other side of the door floppinha (7) and I are waiting at starting pushing in as people are still getting off- this creates a one way (instead of two) exit for the remaining people, further slowing things down for my side. but we wait, because I can see there aren't that many more people exiting. 

blonde millennial girl who just showed up tries to push past my daughter into the train as people are still leaving. nope. I move myself in front of her. she tries to push past me, and I tell her to wait and not push past little girls while people are still exiting or ever. sour-face glare. then, as a total shocker, she gets on behind us and stands in the door instead of moving in- blocking the people who are still trying to get in. so I let her know it makes sense somebody who's rude enough to run down a little girl to get onto a train is going to be rude and oblivious enough to camp out in the door while people are still trying to get on. more sour face glares. tbh, it didn't make me feel better- feel like she had absolutely no idea what she was doing was idiotic, selfish and rude. a well timed shoulder as we got off might have... but probably not. 

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1

Huge pet peeve - companies that have unlimited vacation policy...but don't allow working from home.  They're essentially telling you that if you have a reason that you need to be at home, you're going to have to lie to everyone and pretend that you're not actually doing any work.

9 minutes ago, zoobird said:

Huge pet peeve - companies that have unlimited vacation policy...but don't allow working from home.  They're essentially telling you that if you have a reason that you need to be at home, you're going to have to lie to everyone and pretend that you're not actually doing any work.

i'm gonna need this one to be fleshed out

unlimited vacation is bad?

there's a need to work from home while you're on vacation?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hot take sports guy at the office who just rains down sports radio hot takes and tries to force people in to arguing with him about them :hot:

even if you say "brah, i'm not talking about that with you. not now. not ever. i'm busy and i don't want to argue sizzling hot hockey takes ever in my life." he will just keep hammering at angles until you leave the door open just enough for him to barge through with his original, exciting and incendiary opinions.

DIAF

16 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

hot take sports guy at the office who just rains down sports radio hot takes and tries to force people in to arguing with him about them :hot:

even if you say "brah, i'm not talking about that with you. not now. not ever. i'm busy and i don't want to argue sizzling hot hockey takes ever in my life." he will just keep hammering at angles until you leave the door open just enough for him to barge through with his original, exciting and incendiary opinions.

DIAF

which FFA poster is that?

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

i'm gonna need this one to be fleshed out

unlimited vacation is bad?

there's a need to work from home while you're on vacation?

The scenario where this ends up being a really stupid combination is if I have a doctor's appointment or something that requires me to be home for part of the day, but I have a lot of work to get done.  I worked at one company where I would have had to either NOT get the work done or get it done while pretending I was taking the day off.

1 hour ago, zoobird said:

The scenario where this ends up being a really stupid combination is if I have a doctor's appointment or something that requires me to be home for part of the day, but I have a lot of work to get done.  I worked at one company where I would have had to either NOT get the work done or get it done while pretending I was taking the day off.

you can't just go to a doctor's appointment without taking a day off? is that what you're saying? pretty terrible if so.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

you can't just go to a doctor's appointment without taking a day off? is that what you're saying? pretty terrible if so.

im not one to diminish ones pet peeves but i just dont understand it. Like you can't just go to the doctor - then go to work. leave work for a couple hours and go back etc etc

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, ghostguy123 said:

either way, cutting the grass so that you shoot grass all over the road makes the home owners look stupid.  

Guy down the street from me just cut his grass for the second time this year (yep, only twice).  Both times he has done so, he has shot the cut grass all over the road.  Also he has 3 foot tall weeds growing in the crack between the road and the curb all along the front of his house.  Also has his boat sitting in the front yard on the trailer, huge dead spot of grass right under it, and 3 foot tall grass around the edges where his mower can't get to, and he doesn't edge/weedeat.

Never seen the owner outside, so I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume it's an elderly or disabled person who physically isn't capable of yardwork, and not just a lazy slob like it probably is...

Edited by wlwiles

22 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

Never seen the owner outside, so I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume it's an elderly or disabled person who physically isn't capable of yardwork,

That person likely doesn't need a boat then.

• Like 2

People that have zero concept of where they are.

Just spoke to a woman at a welding supply store. After speaking with her I am pretty sure they have what I want so I am going to head there. I looked up the phone number and saw that the address was. I was pretty sure I knew where it was, but wanted to be sure. So I asked her if they were located right by a lexus dealership. She said she thought so but wasnt sure. I then asked if they were located right off of bluemound road, she said "I dont know the city that well, let me just look on a map". I think to myself, I can just do that after we get off the phone, but I decide to just let her look it up. So she proceeds to tell me they are located by the Wisconsin Athletic Club. 

Anybody see what is wrong with that description?  

She told me she doesn't know the area that well "just knows the way she drives to work". 

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

People that have zero concept of where they are.

Just spoke to a woman at a welding supply store. After speaking with her I am pretty sure they have what I want so I am going to head there. I looked up the phone number and saw that the address was. I was pretty sure I knew where it was, but wanted to be sure. So I asked her if they were located right by a lexus dealership. She said she thought so but wasnt sure. I then asked if they were located right off of bluemound road, she said "I dont know the city that well, let me just look on a map". I think to myself, I can just do that after we get off the phone, but I decide to just let her look it up. So she proceeds to tell me they are located by the Wisconsin Athletic Club. 

Anybody see what is wrong with that description?  

She told me she doesn't know the area that well "just knows the way she drives to work". 

To be fair, she may not be able to do better than that.  Some people lack the part of the brain that processes maps and directions.  It's not necessarily a smarts issue.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

To be fair, she may not be able to do better than that.  Some people lack the part of the brain that processes maps and directions.  It's not necessarily a smarts issue.

To be fair? 

The lexus service center is pretty much right next to her. There is also a massive dealership right by where she has to turn. Bluemound road is like the biggest center of commerce in pretty much the whole state. The city of brookfield has the third highest aggregate real estate value in the state behind milwaukee and madison just because of bluemound. 

So first she has to not know that the way to work drives on blue mound road since if you look at the map there is literally no other way to get there. She also has to not know that she works right by a lexus dealership. Then on top of that, when she looks at a map of where she works, the first thing she sees is an athletic club that is on the OTHER SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY that you cant get to without driving all the way down to another road and crossing the highway.

No. You can't defend the obliviousness of this woman. 

Edited by parasaurolophus

55 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

You wouldn't happen to be one of those people "missing that part of the brain," would you?

6 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

You wouldn't happen to be one of those people "missing that part of the brain," would you?

Nope.  Mr R and I are top-notch navigators.  We have a really smart friend who just has no clue where anything is when he gets out of the small area he knows.  He has no idea where he is and has no coping skills to deal with it.

57 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Nope.  Mr R and I are top-notch navigators.  We have a really smart friend who just has no clue where anything is when he gets out of the small area he knows.  He has no idea where he is and has no coping skills to deal with it.

Well, since I can't lob pot shots at you, I will agree.  I had a friend in middle school I would hang out at the mall with.  We'd do a lap around the mall, then go in a store we wanted to look at.  We'd leave the store and he would inevitably either walk back the direction we came, or stop and look around to get his bearings.  I'm thinking the whole time "you can't remember which direction we came from three minutes ago?"

1 hour ago, Bull Dozier said:

Well, since I can't lob pot shots at you, I will agree.  I had a friend in middle school I would hang out at the mall with.  We'd do a lap around the mall, then go in a store we wanted to look at.  We'd leave the store and he would inevitably either walk back the direction we came, or stop and look around to get his bearings.  I'm thinking the whole time "you can't remember which direction we came from three minutes ago?"

i'm this guy but only in malls. i think because my brain turns off after 45 minutes in the same store. 

mostly if i've been somewhere once i can find my way back there from any other starting point. but put me in a mall, shopping for hours and my brain just shuts off. 

Edited by mr. furley
  • Like 1