Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fantasycurse42

Can we discuss pet peeves here?

13 hours ago, jhib said:

To add on to the dishwasher/sink topic, two things that a certain someone in my household does:

1) I'll sometimes wash dishes at night before heading up to bed, and since we have one of those double bowl sinks, I'll use the one on the left to wash and the one on the right to put them in to air dry overnight.  Usually I'll put them away in the morning before anyone else even gets up, but once in a while she'll be up earlier and use a dish and then rinse it off and put it on top of the clean dishes that were nice and dry and ready to be put away.

2) My kids like to make themselves smoothies, and I've told them to clean the blender right away because it's so much harder to get clean if you let that fruit stuff dry and harden first.  But sometimes they "forget" or "don't have time" and no one gets to it before it's already dry.  So, since I'm a nice guy, I'll fill it with water to let it soak until they're around and can get to it or I decide to wash it for them later on.  Hours later I find that someone needed the sink, so dumped the blender out and put it on the counter where the gunk could get nice and dry and caked-on again. 

Throw the blender in the trash. Problem solved. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

leave it dirty and let them clean it if they want to use it.... which only works if the op doesn't use the blender. 

re: dishwashers- the wife has a history with a herniated disc, and the movement of bending and reaching is a trigger for it, so I deal with the d/w most of the time. she does put stuff in while I'm at work, especially late, just to keep it from filling up the sink. but she has an uncanny ability to minimize the amount that can go in that (tends to start loading from the middle/center out) combined with the ability to minimize the washability of the items placed within (items on top of other items, bowls facing up to collect water and/or not face the sprayers... it's a pretty spectacular gift. 

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

leave it dirty and let them clean it if they want to use it.... which only works if the op doesn't use the blender. 

And loves fruit flies. 

• Like 2

When you actually pay with cash and they give you your change back,  please hand me the coins first.  I don't want then on top of the bills so they fall on the floor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, dino259 said:

When you actually pay with cash and they give you your change back,  please hand me the coins first.  I don't want then on top of the bills so they fall on the floor.

Huh... I prefer opposite. Bigger on the bottom, smaller on top. Also helps the bills from floating off when you move/close your hand to grab it all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Huh... I prefer opposite. Bigger on the bottom, smaller on top. Also helps the bills from floating off when you move/close your hand to grab it all.

Agreed, and doesn't it make more sense to do the larger currency first to start squaring things up, then the change to finish it off?

You can easily slide the change into your other hand and then into your pocket or whatever, then handle the bills.

I'm with ya here.

Waiting in the drive thru at my favorite coffee shop and the person in front of me doesn't move up because they are messing with their phone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Who the hell is paying with cash?  Is this something Boomers love?

....or worse, people in front of you that write a check.  I could strangle them.

Baseball managers being allowed to watch video before they decide to call for a video review.  In a sport that abhors technology, why allow that?  If you think the ump made a mistake, challenge it.  But I hate that they get to look at video prior to deciding to challenge it or not.

12 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Stop doing any of that.  It's just not worth your time.

If you mean stop enabling my kids by helping them clean it, I totally agree.  If you mean I'm not saving anyone time by using a couple seconds to turn on and off the water to fill the blender, I respectfully disagree.  If you mean have a wife and kids, well, I guess it's too late for that advice.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Yeah, I use it sometimes.  And the wife and kids all have a much greater ability to tolerate clutter and mess than I do (and I'm really not all that picky compared to most people I know).  It's probably one of their pet peeves about me.

23 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

What else would you have me do if I left my checkbook at home?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, El Floppo said:
1 hour ago, dino259 said:

And please all the Washingtons and/or Lincolns face up and in the same direction.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

Agreed, and doesn't it make more sense to do the larger currency first to start squaring things up, then the change to finish it off?

You can easily slide the change into your other hand and then into your pocket or whatever, then handle the bills.

I'm with ya here.

The bills should all be nice and lined up already.  I would prefer all face up and in one direction but that isn't going to happen.  Lined up should.  I am not holding the bills like a platter.  I want to grab them, and add to the rest of my stack (not racks), slip into my money clip and into my left front pocket.  The coins then go into the right front pocket.  Grab my Burrito and get outta there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I still use cash for small purchases at a lot of places. If it looks sketchy or there isnt a chip reader and my purchase is less than 5 bucks i am likely paying cash. 

I also will often just throw a 20 in my little zip pocket and my drivers license when i go hiking. Dont want to carry my wallet on the mountain and i dont want to leave it in the car unattended for hours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

And loves fruit flies. 

He can always put the lid back on.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

He can always put the lid back on.

Fruit flies can open lids and refrigerator doors. They can survive in the toilet even after taco tuesdays. They are a force to be reckoned with. 

21 hours ago, jhib said:

1) I'll sometimes wash dishes at night before heading up to bed, and since we have one of those double bowl sinks, I'll use the one on the left to wash and the one on the right to put them in to air dry overnight.  Usually I'll put them away in the morning before anyone else even gets up, but once in a while she'll be up earlier and use a dish and then rinse it off and put it on top of the clean dishes that were nice and dry and ready to be put away.

Been thinking about this.  Can you get a dish drying rack that drains into the sink?  They have them on Amazon.  That would spare this annoyance.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:51 PM, Aerial Assault said:

I see I posted in here before, and I'm not going to check if I'm repeating myself, but . . . people who leave shopping carts loose in parking lots.  Yes, sometimes certain lots don't have enough housing for the carts.  Nonetheless, take the 60-90 seconds tops to walk your cart to the enclosure or ramp or whatever it's called.  You'll get exercise.  You'll prevent people's cars from getting hit.  You'll assist the people working in the store.  And you won't look like someone who's just too frigging self-absorbed or lazy to take care of this basic courtesy.    

Not quite as bad, but still bumps my blood pressure...

My local grocery store has two types of carts, the big traditional wagon, and the smaller, sporty model for the image-conscious. The basket return corrals in the parking lot have two distinct lanes, and yet an empty corral is upset as early as basket #2 when dolt-head mismatches his cart with the one in front of it.

43 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Not quite as bad, but still bumps my blood pressure...

My local grocery store has two types of carts, the big traditional wagon, and the smaller, sporty model for the image-conscious. The basket return corrals in the parking lot have two distinct lanes, and yet an empty corral is upset as early as basket #2 when dolt-head mismatches his cart with the one in front of it.

Return corral!  Thank you!   Turns out that's exactly what it's called.  :thumbup:   Now I can be more articulate about my pet peeve.  :)  

Yeah, that is not as bad because at least they made the effort, but it sounds like it's almost better that they didn't. 

My neighbor, for some reason, doesn't seem to understand that a dog or some other animal strews out his garbage every f'n week because he doesn't secure the lid on his garbage can. Every f'n Friday I have to drive by his house, see his trash strewn all over the road. And of course the wind blows it into my yard.

Since he doesn't clean it up I have finally chosen to clean it up myself. Today I walked away with a trash-bag full of his crap.

I could understand a week or two. But every week? Have respect for your neighborhood!

1 minute ago, Aerial Assault said:

Return corral!  Thank you!   Turns out that's exactly what it's called.  :thumbup:   Now I can be more articulate about my pet peeve.  :)  

Yeah, that is not as bad because at least they made the effort, but it sounds like it's almost better that they didn't. 

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but the word choice "return corral" came from within.  Sound like I'm in sync with good people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cunk said:

My neighbor, for some reason, doesn't seem to understand that a dog or some other animal strews out his garbage every f'n week because he doesn't secure the lid on his garbage can. Every f'n Friday I have to drive by his house, see his trash strewn all over the road. And of course the wind blows it into my yard.

Since he doesn't clean it up I have finally chosen to clean it up myself. Today I walked away with a trash-bag full of his crap.

I could understand a week or two. But every week? Have respect for your neighborhood!

Bad neighbor alert. Paging @Doctor Detroit

6 minutes ago, Cunk said:

We moved away from that neighbor two years ago.  Bliss.

1 hour ago, Mister CIA said:

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but the word choice "return corral" came from within.  Sound like I'm in sync with good people.

You and some others here may be interested in this.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/follow-up-the-reasons-people-dont-return-their-shopping-carts/

This is a follow-up piece.  The original article - linked at the start of this one - isn't necessarily worth the read; it got a little too jargony for my taste.  (It also seemed to suggest that anyone returning carts is driven by a desire to fit in and conform to societal norms, instead of . . . well, frankly, just being a nice person regardless of what anyone else thinks and expecting nothing from it.)  But the follow-up piece, complete with comments from all sides of the "debate" reacting to the original article, is excellent.  Some of the cited comments are priceless, including at least one guy who employs some sort of pseudo-economic quasi-libertarian justification to explain why he - proudly! - doesn't return carts.  In the time it took him to type that, I wonder how many carts he could have put back.  

8 hours ago, Aerial Assault said:

You and some others here may be interested in this.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/follow-up-the-reasons-people-dont-return-their-shopping-carts/

This is a follow-up piece.  The original article - linked at the start of this one - isn't necessarily worth the read; it got a little too jargony for my taste.  (It also seemed to suggest that anyone returning carts is driven by a desire to fit in and conform to societal norms, instead of . . . well, frankly, just being a nice person regardless of what anyone else thinks and expecting nothing from it.)  But the follow-up piece, complete with comments from all sides of the "debate" reacting to the original article, is excellent.  Some of the cited comments are priceless, including at least one guy who employs some sort of pseudo-economic quasi-libertarian justification to explain why he - proudly! - doesn't return carts.  In the time it took him to type that, I wonder how many carts he could have put back.  

I miss the days when bag boys took your groceries out to your car.  Is "bag boys" politically incorrect now?

Edited by JohnnyU

11 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Been thinking about this.  Can you get a dish drying rack that drains into the sink?  They have them on Amazon.  That would spare this annoyance.

Don't want to speak for his wife, but I doubt it.  I'm guessing his wife thinks she's doing the right thing by putting a freshly rinsed dish where the clear dishes go to dry.  She's not thinking ahead to someone else actually putting those away.

10 hours ago, Cunk said:

Just throw a handful of almonds in his yard the day before trash day. That will feed any hungry animals that would otherwise get into his trash. 

Mentioned several times in here, but pretty sure my daily commute and weekly trip to the grocery store are actively taking years off my life. Unreal how many stupid/oblivious people are allowed to mingle with the general public.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

I still use cash for small purchases at a lot of places. If it looks sketchy or there isnt a chip reader and my purchase is less than 5 bucks i am likely paying cash. 

The best way not to get scammed is to not be swiping your card all over town. 

• Like 1

tiger team -   every group that is put together to work on something IS NOT a tiger team

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, belljr said:

tiger team -   every group that is put together to work on something IS NOT a tiger team

Never heard of this.

People who refuse to courtesy flush after dropping wolfbait.  How hard is it to flush the toilet?

I just went to the urinal in my office and the horrific smell hit me instantly once I opened the door.  It was one of those times where you can't open your mouth because you don't want to taste it and you hold your breathe as long as you can while you quickly try and pee.  Eventually I had to breathe and I think it took a few months off of my life.  For crying out loud flush the damn toilet!!!

• Laughing 1

19 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

People who refuse to courtesy flush after dropping wolfbait.  How hard is it to flush the toilet?

I just went to the urinal in my office and the horrific smell hit me instantly once I opened the door.  It was one of those times where you can't open your mouth because you don't want to taste it and you hold your breathe as long as you can while you quickly try and pee.  Eventually I had to breathe and I think it took a few months off of my life.  For crying out loud flush the damn toilet!!!

Was there gum in the urinal? 

6 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

@McJose not replying to my "hilariously funny" text messages :hot:

• Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, McJose said:

i'll have you know i work long & hard on those texts, fella

1 hour ago, Don't Noonan said:

Also, I've been in way more situations than you would expect where I enter a stall and someone somehow got #### onto the walls and/or outside of the toilet.  How is this even possible and why does it happen so often?

19 hours ago, Aerial Assault said:

Some of the cited comments are priceless, including at least one guy who employs some sort of pseudo-economic quasi-libertarian justification to explain why he - proudly! - doesn't return carts.  In the time it took him to type that, I wonder how many carts he could have put back.  

It's probably easier for him than just admitting he's a total doosh.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

I courtesy flush all the time.  It's the respectful thing to do.  On a different note, my brother-in-law (from California), doesn't flush after one pee in the toilet.  Is that a California thing to save water?  When he visits and I go into the bathroom in the morning, I always have to flush his pee, which also has odor for those that don't know.

27 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I courtesy flush all the time.  It's the respectful thing to do.  On a different note, my brother-in-law (from California), doesn't flush after one pee in the toilet.  Is that a California thing to save water?  When he visits and I go into the bathroom in the morning, I always have to flush his pee, which also has odor for those that don't know.

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

Is that a thing, really?  Shouldn't all of it be flushed down?

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

14 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

My grandma had a sign that said this over the toilet...when she lived in an RV park for the summers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:
1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

Never seen "Meet The Fockers"?

Edited by [scooter]

If my wife is using the facilities right after me, I won't flush....She's not a fan...

7 hours ago, JohnnyU said:
8 hours ago, ChiefD said:

I grew up in CA during a drought. we used bath water saved in buckets to flush either... so I'm still conscious of trying to conserve. but at this point, unless I'm somewhere that explicitly says not to, I'm flushing.