What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (4 Viewers)

20 years ago a lot of people were still carrying their bags. Now every bag rolls.

Which leads us back to another pet peeve I'm sure's been discussed in here: every GD person bringing bags onto the plane that should be checked. :hot:   
Wait. Why do we have to check bags when we can carry them on? I never check bags.

So at Yellowstone the last two days.  They do a great job of using boardwalks to walk on to see all the different geysers and pools.  

Pet peeve is all the you know who using the entire boardwalk to take their selfie group pictures and not giving two ####s about your need to get by.  Out of several hundred of these incidents,  only two people looked up and around to see if they were blocking somebody's way.  

Rental Cars and both fobs and keys tied together so when you rent a car you are carrying a giant ball of wire/fobs/keys.

Listen I get rental cars can be picked up at one place and dropped at another.  They are eventually then sold privately and people want all the fobs that are programmed to the car.

BUT - you are telling me these cant be kept in some central storage location that if A) one is lost you can get the spare B) when the car is ready for sale you can just get it.

Rental Cars and both fobs and keys tied together so when you rent a car you are carrying a giant ball of wire/fobs/keys.

Listen I get rental cars can be picked up at one place and dropped at another.  They are eventually then sold privately and people want all the fobs that are programmed to the car.

BUT - you are telling me these cant be kept in some central storage location that if A) one is lost you can get the spare B) when the car is ready for sale you can just get it.
Best post in here in awhile.

People ordering food like this:

”I’m gonna do the gyro combo”

Or

”Can I do the the western omelette?”

You’re going to do your food? Like by eating it? 

Of course that doesn't make sense. It's also not what I wrote.
Then what does this mean? My apologies if I misread it.

“Which leads us back to another pet peeve I'm sure's been discussed in here: every GD person bringing bags onto the plane that should be checked. “

Then what does this mean? My apologies if I misread it.

“Which leads us back to another pet peeve I'm sure's been discussed in here: every GD person bringing bags onto the plane that should be checked. “
I don't know how I could have put it any simpler.

every GD person bringing bags onto the plane that should be checked. :hot:   
I speak Cristo. Let me translate:

People bring bags on airplanes that will fit in overhead compartments or under their seats. There are also people who bring bags on airplanes that are way too big for those compartments or under the seat so they try to cram them in the compartments, only they don't fit so the stewardess has to intervene and said bag ends up being checked anyway. Because of all this, it irritates Mr Cristo because (I presume) that it delays the whole process and makes that person look like a cheap inconsiderate butt head.

Probably already been mentioned, but in a work-related setting: 

1) Someone who sends you an email asking you to call them, but doesn't include their phone number in their email or signature block.  There are people at my work who never include a signature block, which requires me to go hunting for their number to call them back.  Infuriating.

2) When you leave a detailed voicemail for someone and they call you back without listening to the voicemail.  I went through the trouble of leaving a detailed voicemail with either the answer you wanted or the topic I needed to discuss with you.  The exchange usually goes like this:

Biggie:  Hello.

Infuriating colleague:  Hey, just returning your call.

Biggie:  Okay.  (long pause)

Infuriating colleague:  Did you get that information?/Did you need something?

Biggie:  Did you listen to my  voicemail?

Infuriating colleague:  No, I just figured I'd call you back.

Biggie:  (Trying his best to be zen)  Okay, here's what I said in the voicemail  (proceed to repeat verbatim the detailed information I left in the voicemail)

What I want to say:  Okay, why don't you listen to the voicemail I left you and you call me back if you have any questions.

Right with you.  Looks like people should be checking bags rather than bringing them on the plane.  I can't see any other way to read that.
I'm pretty sure he means that if the plane hasn't had its safety check yet, then people shouldn't be bringing their bags on it.  

Oh, okay, he probably means that too many people carry on bags that should technically be checked.  Every GD one of those people who do that annoy him.

People bring bags on airplanes that will fit in overhead compartments or under their seats. There are also people who bring bags on airplanes that are way too big for those compartments or under the seat so they try to cram them in the compartments, only they don't fit so the stewardess has to intervene and said bag ends up being checked anyway. Because of all this, it irritates Mr Cristo because (I presume) that it delays the whole process and makes that person look like a cheap inconsiderate butt head.
What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!

We've had this debate before, but I'm curious if attitudes have changed.  Let's say I have a big suitcase and a laptop bag/briefcase.  I check my big suitcase (and maybe even pay a fee to do so) and board with just my laptop bag.  The laptop bag is not small, but it does technically fit underneath the seat in front of me.  However, putting it under the seat would leave me with no leg room.  I don't need to get into my laptop bag during the flight so I store it upright in the overhead bin.  It occupies less than half of the width of a suitcase in the overhead.  Announcement comes on that large suitcases should be stored in the overhead, with smaller items stored beneath the seat in front of you.

Question:  Should I be annoyed that because I didn't lug a suitcase on board I should be denied all space in the overhead and required to forgo a comfortable flight with ample legroom?

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had this debate before, but I'm curious if attitudes have changed.  Let's say I have a big suitcase and a laptop bag/briefcase.  I check my big suitcase (and maybe even pay a fee to do so) and board with just my laptop bag.  The laptop bag is not small, but it does technically fit underneath the seat in front of me.  However, putting it under the seat would leave me with no leg room.  I don't need to get into my laptop bag during the flight so I store it upright in the overhead bin.  It occupies less than half of the width of a suitcase in the overhead.  Announcement comes on that large suitcases should be stored in the overhead, with smaller items stored beneath the seat in front of you.

Question:  Should I be annoyed that because I didn't lug a suitcase on board I should be denied all space in the overhead and required to forgo a comfortable flight with ample legroom?
Yes.

Grey area if on a southwest flight. Not grey area on flights that charge for a carry on. 

Do you mean charge for checked baggage?
I mean charged for a carry on. Typically a laptop bag doesnt have a charge associated with it and qualifies as a personal item. 

If somebody paid for a carry on they are entitled to overhead space, IMO. If they didnt pay and you didnt pay i think it is a grey area. 

Also on southwest people can check two bags for free. I think lots of people still carry on just because they want their bag with them, not because they checked two already. So why should their convenience trump yours? 

Ultimately if they need the space, they will move your stuff, but if you just sit there and dont get your bag out, i dont see an issue. 

If I go on a long trip I will check a large bag and then carry on a duffel bag that will be about half full so can compress to fit under the seat in front of me fairly easily.  I have never put it there on any trip and have more than once stopped someone from thinking they can move it because it doesn't take up as much room as their roller bag.  I am 6'4" and my leg room on a long flight (> 2 hours) is much more important to me than what a stranger thinks they are entitled to.  Overheads are first come first served in whatever class of service you bought.

I think my favorite airline boarding suggestion is those that have backpacks should put them under the seat in from them to make room for all the freakin people who bring way too much #### in the cabin. Backpack folks have every right use to overhead bins as those who bring all their #### into the cabin. #backpacksmatter

I mean charged for a carry on. Typically a laptop bag doesnt have a charge associated with it and qualifies as a personal item. 

If somebody paid for a carry on they are entitled to overhead space, IMO. If they didnt pay and you didnt pay i think it is a grey area. 

Also on southwest people can check two bags for free. I think lots of people still carry on just because they want their bag with them, not because they checked two already. So why should their convenience trump yours? 

Ultimately if they need the space, they will move your stuff, but if you just sit there and dont get your bag out, i dont see an issue. 
I wasn't aware that there were airlines that charged for a carry-on.  Which ones are those?  How do they charge the fee if you are bypassing a desk and going straight through security?

But yeah, in the times that this has happened, I just ignore the repeated announcements about storing smaller items underneath the seat, choosing to interpret the announcement to be directed at people who try to store BOTH their suitcase and their personal item in the overhead.

I think my favorite airline boarding suggestion is those that have backpacks should put them under the seat in from them to make room for all the freakin people who bring way too much #### in the cabin. Backpack folks have every right use to overhead bins just like those who bring all their #### into the cabin. #backpacksmatter
Yeah, this is analogous to my example.

Hot take: Eliminate ALL overhead space and only allow small bags that fit under the seat.  Remove all checked bag fees.  Every bag gets checked.  Imagine how fast you'll get off the plane!

Decent. You can also add on the people who bring on more bags than they are allowed.

2) When you leave a detailed voicemail for someone and they call you back without listening to the voicemail.  I went through the trouble of leaving a detailed voicemail with either the answer you wanted or the topic I needed to discuss with you.  The exchange usually goes like this:

Biggie:  (Trying his best to be zen)  Okay, here's what I said in the voicemail  (proceed to repeat verbatim the detailed information I left in the voicemail)

What I want to say:  Okay, why don't you listen to the voicemail I left you and you call me back if you have any questions.
Same with emails. I sent you a detailed four paragraph email with said paragraphs being numbered and each having a topic. Yet you respond with a question that I have answered in the email.

Damn right you should.

Hot take: Eliminate ALL overhead space and only allow small bags that fit under the seat.  Remove all checked bag fees.  Every bag gets checked.  Imagine how fast you'll get off the plane!
Interesting concept, but you’d lose time overall by checking and retrieving baggage. Getting off a flight a couple minutes faster isn’t worth that hassle, or the risk of losing my luggage.

Gym bags all over the floor at the gym while there’s signs everywhere indicating NO GYM BAGS ON FLOOR. It’s a minefield in the circuit area.

Probably already been mentioned, but in a work-related setting: 

1) Someone who sends you an email asking you to call them, but doesn't include their phone number in their email or signature block.  There are people at my work who never include a signature block, which requires me to go hunting for their number to call them back.  Infuriating.

Who still leaves voicemails?  Talk about a pet peeve.

Email down?
A lot of what I do involves telephone discussions on topics that aren’t appropriate for email communication. I get a lot of phone calls. When I’m tied up, people leave voicemails (which I listen to).  When I call others and they don’t pick up, I leave voicemails, which some people listen to, while others just call me back (the annoying part). 

Same with emails. I sent you a detailed four paragraph email with said paragraphs being numbered and each having a topic. Yet you respond with a question that I have answered in the email.
Reading seems to be a lost skill.  I have several clients where this is an issue, if my email is more than a few sentances it seems they just stop reading, or can't comprehend with all those words and letters in the way.

For one project the client wanted to do something that wouldn't work, I explained during a conference call why it wouldn't work, I explained it in an email with an attached plan showing why.  A week later I get an email back asking if they can do what I just explained couldn't be done.  I ended up having to find a picture that showed the area in question, draw on it to show him that his idea would not work and email that to him.  Keep in mind that this is in his plant, and he in 5 minutes he could have walked out looked up and seen what I was talking about.   In house we have joked that we need to start randomly coloring words, using 40 point font, or only using the important words just to get people to read an entire email.

I always put my laptop bag up there.  Only once has a flight attendant said something and I said, "I'm 6 foot 2.  I barely have room without a bag where my feet belong.  If it bothers anyone, I'll move it."  She gave me a scowl and walked away.  If they run out of room, check bags.  Don't start trying to make flyers uncomfortable.  

Reading seems to be a lost skill.  I have several clients where this is an issue, if my email is more than a few sentances it seems they just stop reading, or can't comprehend with all those words and letters in the way.

For one project the client wanted to do something that wouldn't work, I explained during a conference call why it wouldn't work, I explained it in an email with an attached plan showing why.  A week later I get an email back asking if they can do what I just explained couldn't be done.  I ended up having to find a picture that showed the area in question, draw on it to show him that his idea would not work and email that to him.  Keep in mind that this is in his plant, and he in 5 minutes he could have walked out looked up and seen what I was talking about.   In house we have joked that we need to start randomly coloring words, using 40 point font, or only using the important words just to get people to read an entire email.
Or general laziness.   I send out detail emails when i make a data delivery.  It out lines whats in it, where to find it and what changes were made per request.   Entire teams are notified.

Yet I'll get emails/phone calls/drop ins - "hey where is that data? where is it, whats in it blah blah blah."  I just reforward emails now.  F'em

Who still leaves voicemails?  Talk about a pet peeve.
Say what now? I'm leaving the message it's because that's the time I have available to give you the information. If you're expecting me to drop what I'm doing when you call just because that time was more convenient to YOU, then...well it's rude.

And it's easier to speak what you're explaining than it is to write it out. (Well sometimes, when it's more complex than a sentence or two).

Say what now? I'm leaving the message it's because that's the time I have available to give you the information. If you're expecting me to drop what I'm doing when you call just because that time was more convenient to YOU, then...well it's rude.

And it's easier to speak what you're explaining than it is to write it out. (Well sometimes, when it's more complex than a sentence or two).
Speaking as an introvert, I disagree.  While explaining something complicated (that I DO understand) I will often speak unclearly, fumble words, etc, making it hard to follow.  Conversely, I can type something out, re-read it and edit it for clarity.

Speaking as an introvert, I disagree.  While explaining something complicated (that I DO understand) I will often speak unclearly, fumble words, etc, making it hard to follow.  Conversely, I can type something out, re-read it and edit it for clarity.
Well, I can see that.

I guess I'm saying that if you need info from someone then it's more incumbent on you to take it how it's given than it is the other person to determine the way they should give it.

Well, I can see that.

I guess I'm saying that if you need info from someone then it's more incumbent on you to take it how it's given than it is the other person to determine the way they should give it.
It seems like you're having a tough time explaining what you are trying to say through words.  Can you just call me and explain this over the phone?

Users who are viewing this thread