What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (7 Viewers)

Drunken knight said:
I could easily create a top 20 for driving pet peeves.
I’ll give a couple more. 

1.  When cars are stopped at a light and have big gaps between them when if everyone pulled in closer it would help out someone behind. (Give them room to turn right or get in the turning lane, etc.)

2. Driving down a two lane road with no turn lane. Someone going the opposite way wants to turn left and there’s plenty of time but they just sit there and hold a bunch of others up while I’m driving along thinking you could’ve made that twice and no way I’d ever have hit you in a million years. 

The other day I was grabbing breakfast out of town and ordered in the drive thru. It’s one of those zipper multi-lane ordering queues and some lady and I were ready to move forward at the same time. I gestured to her to proceed. No big deal. Guy behind her thinks this is a free pass and proceeds to advance in a somewhat aggressive manner (I mean we’re in a drive thru lane). I just glare at him and start rolling forward, WTF? The moral of this story is to be courteous to others. The lady I let go in front of me bought my breakfast. A very nice gesture imo, but common courtesy shouldn’t be so rare it deserves a reward.  I didn’t buy the tool behind me breakfast.

Say thank you when I hold the door for you, even a quick "thanks".
This just happened to me.

Leaving a restaurant, double door entrance, I see the dude coming thru the first door, I hold the second door open that I was coming thru ...

guy just walks in, head down, doesn't even acknowledge me standing there holding his door. 

I wish there were some way to tell who the dooches were so I could avoid being courteous to them.

Had this guy been wearing his sign, I would have made it a point to pull the door shut behind me.

urbanhack said:
People that consistently live off of excuses.  

I don't care.  You didn't get it done.  You didn't call.  You didn't text.  You didn't show up.

I don't give a #### why when there is pattern.
In a roundabout way, this reminds me of a project I was working on at my last job.  It was my first project to get me some knowledge of the company, so it was pretty simple.  But we were updating about 400 stores in like a 2 week period all across the country.  I had to manage field techs from companies all over the country and these guys had to follow a strict schedule unless they ran into an unforeseen issue.  

Out of 400 techs, about 390 of them just happen to have flat tires on the way to their appointment and that's why they were late.  :rolleyes:

Say thank you when I hold the door for you, even a quick "thanks".
Hate when I am obviously just standing in the doorway holding the door for the next person to grab the door and they just try to squeeze by me. 
And conversely, people who walk out the door and don't bother to see who's behind them, letting the door shut on them.

This isn't a huge one for me, but it's a small thing that shows who's paying attention and caring about the world and people around them and whos not. 

1.  When cars are stopped at a light and have big gaps between them when if everyone pulled in closer it would help out someone behind. (Give them room to turn right or get in the turning lane, etc.)
On my way home from work there is an intersection where although there isn't an actual right turn lane, if the first car was to pull up to the line and be slightly to the left of center all the turning cars can squeeze past on the right and make their turns.    If I am that first car I always make sure to look in my mirrors and see if car #2 has his blinker on, if so I will slide over and make sure he has room.  It doesn't cost me anytime, and helps out someone.   Yet everytime I am trying to turn the ###### in front is on the right side of the lane or not pulled up all the way and blocks 5 cars trying to turn.

on this i mostly agree but that buffer between cars is also intended to prevent being pushed in to the car in front of you in case of an accident

People who are always late.  My wife, for example.  She'll ask "what time do you want to leave?"  I'll say 8:00.  At 8:00, she decides she needs to do this or that, get her shoes on, etc.  Then we leave at 8:15.
and when you don't tell them what time because you know they'll just intentionally slow play to be late.. they say "well, you didn't tell me what time we had to be there so i wasn't in a hurry!"

but if you say "7:30" so you can leave at 7:45 and be there at 8.. they can sense it and now you're not leaving until 8:30.

D bags that post picks of their thermometers from Florida

"Look everyone..its 75 degrees today in Old Lady land Florida.  Hope you are enjoying it in Michigan today"

My aunt does this EVERY YEAR.   Last year, she was close, very close, to being wiped out by hurricane Dorian..I very much wanted to post a picture of a blue sky and calm winds then, just to remind HER about how much nicer is is in Michigan during hurricane season, but I did not.

Still..cut it out lady
It's going to be frigid down here in FL this weekend.  Probably won't even touch 75 all weekend.  I'll keep you updated.

The other day I was grabbing breakfast out of town and ordered in the drive thru. It’s one of those zipper multi-lane ordering queues and some lady and I were ready to move forward at the same time. I gestured to her to proceed. No big deal. Guy behind her thinks this is a free pass and proceeds to advance in a somewhat aggressive manner (I mean we’re in a drive thru lane). I just glare at him and start rolling forward, WTF? The moral of this story is to be courteous to others. The lady I let go in front of me bought my breakfast. A very nice gesture imo, but common courtesy shouldn’t be so rare it deserves a reward.  I didn’t buy the tool behind me breakfast.
And i gurantee he screwed up the orders inside.   They "know" the order the cars should be rolling in

i have one to add from last night....

I admit I'm not a big "pleasantry" with the cashier person, I'm not rude - but the basic thanks, hello etc.

The woman in front of me was just gabbing away and the register lady was gabbing right back EVEN after her crap was bagged, in her cart and paid for.

LISTEN you want to catch up on old times don't do it when there is people in ####### line

People who are always late.  My wife, for example.  She'll ask "what time do you want to leave?"  I'll say 8:00.  At 8:00, she decides she needs to do this or that, get her shoes on, etc.  Then we leave at 8:15.
My wife is the opposite.  She'll ask what time we're leaving and I'll say 8.  And at 7:45 she's out in the car, honking the horn and texting me to "Let's go!!!"

Joined a gym again recently.  I've been around a few dudes wearing sleeveless shirts who just flat out stink. The entire 20 to 30 foot radius of where they are smells...and strong.  I had to go workout in another part of the gym just to get away.  What's wrong with people??

I hate those multi lane drivethroughs to the point that I won't go to one unless it is a dead time.  I always see that DB in the beater car that wants to play chicken and hugs the bumper of the car in front of him daring you to take your rightful place in line.

My wife is the worst at this.  I tell her what time we need to leave, she'll take her shower and sit in a robe until 5 minutes before we need to leave, then she'll start to get ready.  Then when she's not ready, I stand behind her in the bathroom as she's doing hair and makeup and whatever, explaining that if she had done this right after her shower, she could have sat on the couch looking at Facebook until it was time to leave. 

It took almost 20 years, but she has started to figure it out.  The other thing that helped her?  I stopped caring about being on time to do stuff I didn't care about (meeting her parents, going to church, etc).  Without me managing her time, she had to start dealing with the consequences of being late for stuff that mattered to her.  Changed her ways.

and when you don't tell them what time because you know they'll just intentionally slow play to be late.. they say "well, you didn't tell me what time we had to be there so i wasn't in a hurry!"

but if you say "7:30" so you can leave at 7:45 and be there at 8.. they can sense it and now you're not leaving until 8:30.
I've learned the hard way that waiting and the car and honking the horn is not the best idea.

I've learned the hard way that waiting and the car and honking the horn is not the best idea.
i've just left a few times. #### it.

when it has come up in conversation with others the universal reaction has been "wow, you're an #######. that's so rude of you to be that impatient."

and i think.. what's more rude, not respecting someone's time because your inability to prepare/lack of concern for others/lack of respect are more important than keeping a promise or leaving someone behind who has known about the plan timing for days, weeks or even months because they aren't willing to get ready on time?

i feel like if someone sets an appointment/meeting for, say, 9 and they're backed up with another at 10.. i respect their time and if i can't make it work, then i tell them.  but i sure as hell don't show up at 9:30 with the expectation that it's ok for me to jack up their schedule and whomever else's schedule is impacted by being pushed back because i needed to get coffee, chat with Karen and can't be bothered to be polite.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have one to add from last night....

I admit I'm not a big "pleasantry" with the cashier person, I'm not rude - but the basic thanks, hello etc.

The woman in front of me was just gabbing away and the register lady was gabbing right back EVEN after her crap was bagged, in her cart and paid for.

LISTEN you want to catch up on old times don't do it when there is people in ####### line
This.

I was picking up some prescriptions the other day, and the window got jammed up by an older lady talking politics to a young pharmacy clerk. At first, I was optimistic because the lady turned - looked at me - and then said, "Oh, I don't want to hold anyone up." And then proceeded to pitch her candidate for another 2 to 3 minutes.

When she finally left the window, I made a quick move forward. Unfortunately, lady decides to pitch more talk and tries to reenter window area. My momentum was strong at that point, and I nearly knocked her over as she stepped right into my path.

I felt bad. Apologized. Saw that she was fine. Felt bad no longer. Move on!

I hate those multi lane drivethroughs to the point that I won't go to one unless it is a dead time.  I always see that DB in the beater car that wants to play chicken and hugs the bumper of the car in front of him daring you to take your rightful place in line.

My wife is the worst at this.  I tell her what time we need to leave, she'll take her shower and sit in a robe until 5 minutes before we need to leave, then she'll start to get ready.  Then when she's not ready, I stand behind her in the bathroom as she's doing hair and makeup and whatever, explaining that if she had done this right after her shower, she could have sat on the couch looking at Facebook until it was time to leave. 

It took almost 20 years, but she has started to figure it out.  The other thing that helped her?  I stopped caring about being on time to do stuff I didn't care about (meeting her parents, going to church, etc).  Without me managing her time, she had to start dealing with the consequences of being late for stuff that mattered to her.  Changed her ways.
I do this all the time - doesn't seem to help...

It usually goes can you drive a little faster so we can make up time, I usually give a smart ### remark and we fight the entire car ride

To be fair to myself, I am an extremely punctual person.  If I say I'll be somewhere, I'll be somewhere at that time or a little early.  It's kind of like the Goldilock's thing.  The too early one sounds great on paper.  But I'll be watching a show that I've timed perfectly to the time we leave.  And if no one prompted me, we'd leave exactly at the time I had laid out.  

I always tell her that her and my dad are similar with time.  I remember my dad would ask me what time I needed to get up for school.  I'd say 6:30.  He'd knock on my door at 6:15 and be like, "Hey, 15 minutes until you need to get up."  :rant:

To be fair to myself, I am an extremely punctual person.  If I say I'll be somewhere, I'll be somewhere at that time or a little early.  It's kind of like the Goldilock's thing.  The too early one sounds great on paper.  But I'll be watching a show that I've timed perfectly to the time we leave.  And if no one prompted me, we'd leave exactly at the time I had laid out.  

I always tell her that her and my dad are similar with time.  I remember my dad would ask me what time I needed to get up for school.  I'd say 6:30.  He'd knock on my door at 6:15 and be like, "Hey, 15 minutes until you need to get up."  :rant:
in my house it was my brother and i who both needed to be up at 6:30

my dad would come around at 6 and wake me up. i'd get up, shower, eat, get dressed and be ready to walk to school at 7:15.

around the time i was walking out the door my dad would knock on my brother's door and tell him he needed to get ready for school.  he got a car ride to school from my mom. we all lived in the same house. my brother and i went to the same school.

to this day my dad will say that i always had a hard time getting up early, was always late and needed extra prodding to get moving. even now if we're going to meet somewhere, say for a round of golf, he'll call me hours before and tell me to start getting ready because he knows i'll be late. then i get there 15 minutes early and he's running up to the clubhouse seconds before our tee time.

I think we may have been separated at birth.  

I do this all the time - doesn't seem to help...

It usually goes can you drive a little faster so we can make up time, I usually give a smart ### remark and we fight the entire car ride
It wasn't an overnight change.  Maybe she matured.  I don't know.  I also had to change to actually not care, as I used to care about being on time for EVERYTHING (crazy I know). 

sandwiches where the bread to meat ratio eclipses a 2:1 ratio.
Yeah this is absolutely huge for me.  

There's a sandwich joint literally 100 steps from my office and I never, ever go there because they put ONE piece of ham and ONE layer of salami on their Italian sub.  And they charge typical "sandwich joint" prices.  So lame.  I guess they stay in business, because... well... they're there still.  

Edit to clarify:  I am pretty plain Jane when it comes to "extras" on my sandwich (or food in general).  So I don't want a pile of lettuce, etc. on my 'wich.  Cheese, and MAYBE tomato if I'm feeling saucy.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned. I feel bad about throwing this one out there because many of the people that are guilty of this particular pet peeve of mine are my own family members. 

I cannot stand when people disregard or are inconsiderate about things that bug you --that you have made completely clear to them hundreds of times.   I know I'm weird--but I am a person that does not enjoy being in pictures, I don't enjoy taking or being in a bunch of pictures as I prefer to enjoy the moment.  Secondly--as much as I love music--I just do not like dancing.   I've never liked it--and I'm not good at it because I've never liked it enough to want to get good at it.  I kid you not--anytime my family has a get together or goes on a vacation together--the entire time they are pressuring me to get in pictures and to dance.    If somebody clearly tells me that they don't enjoy certain things--I wouldn't constantly pressure them to do exactly those things.   It just gets mind numbing to me.  

sandwiches where the bread to meat ratio eclipses a 2:1 ratio.
One of the main reasons that Philly Cheesesteaks not bought within a 100 mile radius of Philly.  A good cheesesteak place will give you a fork with your sandwich because they know about 25% of the meat will end up on the plate.  That's because it's overflowing with steak.  Anywhere else in the country, you'll get a little bit of meat, a lot of useless crap that shouldn't be on a cheesesteak, and a lot of dry, terrible bun.

One of the main reasons that Philly Cheesesteaks not bought within a 100 mile radius of Philly.  A good cheesesteak place will give you a fork with your sandwich because they know about 25% of the meat will end up on the plate.  That's because it's overflowing with steak.  Anywhere else in the country, you'll get a little bit of meat, a lot of useless crap that shouldn't be on a cheesesteak, and a lot of dry, terrible bun.
Amoroso 4 life!

Actually I get cheesesteaks in San Francisco that are like this. 

When the designated napkin dispenser filling person puts the napkins in backwards.  So instead of being able to take one at a time, you either have to break into the dispenser(which is harder than breaking into a vault at times) or squeeze your fingers down on the top napkin, forcing you to pull out like 10 at one time.

It can't be that hard to fill these things  yet I see this too often to not mention it.

When the designated napkin dispenser filling person puts the napkins in backwards.  So instead of being able to take one at a time, you either have to break into the dispenser(which is harder than breaking into a vault at times) or squeeze your fingers down on the top napkin, forcing you to pull out like 10 at one time.

It can't be that hard to fill these things  yet I see this too often to not mention it.
They're the same people that put the TP on the spool so it comes out the bottom instead of over the top.

They're the same people that put the TP on the spool so it comes out the bottom instead of over the top.
I feel like this is one of those fake pet peeves that the internet created.  I honestly went 35 years not caring until someone pointed it out on the internet.  And when I see it put on the other way, I don't think it's ever really bothered me that much.

Users who are viewing this thread