Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fantasycurse42

Can we discuss pet peeves here?

On 2/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, tkrull said:

To my cow-orker,

By the sound of it, your lower respiratory infection is progressing nicely. I certainly appreciate your dedication in coming to work every day for the past two weeks. Don't let anyone tell you that you're a useless, nonvalue-added drone that could easily complete their daily tasks while working from home. How would people know how special and important you are if you weren't spreading your filth throughout the office?

Update: We've just started Week 3 of TB ward roulette.  She sounds like she's dying.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Restaurants that try to be cute with how they name the bathrooms.  

So no Elton John and Olivia Newton John?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

15 hours ago, Snoopy said:

So no Elton John and Olivia Newton John?

Oh, yeah.  That narrows it down.

The restrooms at the Saltgrass Steakhouse have the inside of the restroom doors labeled as the reverse of what they are.  Kind of a Richard move.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:01 AM, scorchy said:

Unless you're old or infirm, there's really no excuse for needing to pull back on the person's seat in front of you when you get up to take a leak.

One exception is if the person sitting on the aisle refuses to stand up and sits sidesaddle instead so that you have to squeeze past them.  Holding onto the seat in front of them is necessary.  Happens 75% of the time in Asia, 50% of the time in Latin America.  Sometimes both the middle seat and the aisle seat don't stand up and expect you to squeeze past both of them.  If you're lucky, you were just going to the bathroom to be polite because you have major gas and you can assbomb the sidesaddler.

• Laughing 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:51 AM, tkrull said:

Update: We've just started Week 3 of TB ward roulette.  She sounds like she's dying.

Hey HRGuys -

If I start referring to her as 'Patient Zero' in company emails and conversation, would I be contributing to a hostile work environment or some other actionable offense?

Hard to believe given the current environment that they would continue to let her come to work. I'm also surprised no one has made a stink about it. Also, your bosses apparently suck.

Edited by DallasDMac

I was at a three shows last weekend and the crowd was generally great, but still wish a few self-absorbed jackasses could follow these simple rules:

1) I didn't pay to watch a concert through your phone.  If you want to snap a quick pic or two, go for it.  But an entire song or a run of songs?  For what?  How many times are you really going to go back and watch this later?  The sound is horrible, the video is jumpy, etc.  And I'm not talking about teenage girls videoing Billy Eilish to brag to their friends on snapchat, but grown-### men seeing old man bands.  

2) If you want to have a conversation, go outside.  I don't mean a quick comment here or there, but a full-blown back-and-forth.

3) If you want to be at the front against the stage, get there early.  Don't show up at the start of the set and then try to push your way to the front.  Total dbag move.

4) If you feel the need to dance/jump around aggressively, take stock of the situation before blindly knocking into people.  If no one else is moshing, maybe save it for the punk show.

Edited by scorchy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scorchy said:

I was at a three shows last weekend and the crowd was generally great, but still wish a few self-absorbed jackasses could follow these simple rules:

1) I didn't pay to watch a concert through your phone.  If you want to snap a quick pic or two, go for it.  But an entire songs or a run of songs?  For what?  How many times are you really going to go back and watch this later?  The sound is horrible, the video is jumpy, etc.  And I'm not talking about teenage girls videoing Billy Eilish to brag to their friends on snapchat, but grown-### men seeing old man bands.  

2) If you want to have a conversation, go outside.  I don't mean about a quick comment here or there, but a full-blown back-and-forth.

3) If you want to be at the front against the stage, get there early.  Don't show up at the start of the set and then try to push your way to the front.  Total dbag move.

4) If you feel the need to dance/jump around aggressively, take stock of the situation before blindly knocking into people.  If no one else is moshing, maybe save it for the punk show.

All of these. Minor quibble on three. Yes, you stood through the two opening acts. I'm simply too old to that and want an actual view of the band instead of looking at it through number one's phone and next to number two's conversation with his or her friend. Thus a conundrum arises for number three. 

Edited by rockaction

4 hours ago, rockaction said:

All of these. Minor quibble on three. Yes, you stood through the two opening acts. I'm simply too old to that and want an actual view of the band instead of looking at it through number one's phone and next to number two's conversation with his or her friend. Thus a conundrum arises for number three. 

I get the quibble, and as a fellow oldster, understand your conundrum.  I feel like it's always a balancing act, and at most shows, self-aware folks can tell how close to the stage you can reasonably get when showing up post-opener.  Also, edging up is way different than pushing your way to the front like you own the place.

On the opposite end, totally sucks to be up against the rail early, then need to run the bar or bathroom, and have gatekeepers not want to let you back through.  I try to come and go the same way and make eye contact/chat with the folks in between, but I've had a couple instances where people have gotten all edgy when I came back.  Some of us are old and can't go 4 hours without taking a leak - cut us some slack.

Edited by scorchy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scorchy said:

2) If you want to have a conversation, go outside.  I don't mean about a quick comment here or there, but a full-blown back-and-forth.

this is my biggest pet peeve at football games

my uncle's wife brings a newspaper and full on unfolds the thing to read it while the game is going.  then she & my uncle talk about the events of the day as the game is going.

he's got a mind to pay attention to both & it's in his best interest to entertain her since she's there, but it makes me nuts. 

17 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Hard to believe given the current environment that they would continue to let her come to work. I'm also surprised no one has made a stink about it. Also, your bosses apparently suck.

Because she's also a chronic chatter, I overheard her bragging that she's had influenza A & B back to back.  Who the hell brags about that?

Nobody has made a large stink because they don't want to seem like a germaphobic loon.

Most bosses do.

3 hours ago, mr. furley said:

this is my biggest pet peeve at football games

my uncle's wife brings a newspaper and full on unfolds the thing to read it while the game is going.  then she & my uncle talk about the events of the day as the game is going.

he's got a mind to pay attention to both & it's in his best interest to entertain her since she's there, but it makes me nuts. 

That's just cat crap crazy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

That's just cat crap crazy.

I've seen these people at baseball games.  Not sure why they are even there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I've seen these people at baseball games.  Not sure why they are even there.

It's a baseball game. Lots of time to catch up on Tolstoy 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's a baseball game. Lots of time to catch up on Tolstoy 

War: what is it good for? absolutely nothin!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

War: what is it good for? absolutely nothin!

Say it again.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Say it again.

War: What is it...I'll show myself out.

I’m sure this has been posted before possibly even by me but it’s people who leave their cart in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store while they’re browsing for some other item.  Bonus points if it’s at the end of an aisle or the rare occasion where one person was courteous enough to push it off to one side and then some other jackass stops their cart right next to theirs coming the opposite way

• Like 1

Businesses you find on Google Maps or the like whose "website" turns out to be a Facebook page.

36 minutes ago, jhib said:

Businesses you find on Google Maps or the like whose "website" turns out to be a Facebook page.

This drives me nuts.

9 hours ago, jhib said:

It wasn't until I got off of FB about 3 years ago that I realized how annoying these are.

• Like 1

When a reporter is interviewing someone and they don't ask a question. They just throw a statement out there. For example:

Sports talk radio host interviewing Patrick Mahomes: Hey Patrick, you guys really executed well out there today....

Mahomes: Yeah, Coach Reid really called some nice plays and we executed well.

Sports talk guy: That throw to Tyreek was right on the money in the third quarter....

Mahomes: Yeah, that was a nice route by Tyreek there.

:wall:

How about:

Sports talk guy: Hey Patrick how did you know Tyreek was going to be open on that play, especially with the D-end coming on a stunt up the middle?

Mahomes: Good question. When I saw the pre-snap coverage I saw the D-end cheating to the inside, so I knew Tyreek was going to be my hot read on that play.

:thumbup:

• Like 5

People who use their fingers to whistle trying to get someone's attention.  Thanks for the heart attack, jackass.  

People that use the word "then" when they should use "than".  

He is so much smarter "then" that other guy.  Also hear people actually pronounce it using the "e" sound rather than the "a" sound.  

####in' hillbillies.

• Like 1

For those following along at home.  Yup, she's still sick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Earwax blockage. Going to Urgent Care for an ear flush at 2. The ringing and gentle dull throbbing for 7 days has taken its toll on me. Ugh.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Earwax blockage. Going to Urgent Care for an ear flush at 2. The ringing and gentle dull throbbing for 7 days has taken its toll on me. Ugh.

that warm water ear rinse is magic  :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:08 PM, Scoresman said:

People who use their fingers to whistle trying to get someone's attention.  Thanks for the heart attack, jackass.  

Sat next to Mr. Big Shot at a restaurant Saturday.  He snapped his fingers to get the server's attention 5 different times throughout the meal.  I kept waiting to see if he'd find a loogie in his potatoes but she had excellent restraint apparently

2 hours ago, wlwiles said:

Sat next to Mr. Big Shot at a restaurant Saturday.  He snapped his fingers to get the server's attention 5 different times throughout the meal.  I kept waiting to see if he'd find a loogie in his potatoes but she had excellent restraint apparently

guy at the office walks up behind people who are sitting in their offices, leans in so that his mouth is less than a foot away from your ear, then reaches his hand in to your peripheral vision and snaps his fingers before he starts to talk

yes, i've said something to him about it.  even grabbed his hand & pushed him out of my office.

the behavior is so ingrained in his personality that he can't stop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

guy at the office walks up behind people who are sitting in their offices, leans in so that his mouth is less than a foot away from your ear, then reaches his hand in to your peripheral vision and snaps his fingers before he starts to talk

yes, i've said something to him about it.  even grabbed his hand & pushed him out of my office.

If ever there was a human being that deserved a full-volume air horn 1 cm from their earhole, it's this guy.  I've never even met him and I want to kick him in the taint

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

People who set their cellphones to have the light blink when they get a text.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

whoa, for real?  yeah, taint-kicking is deserved here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

People who set their cellphones to have the light blink when they get a text.  

that was a default setting on my phone - same for missed call.

30 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

that was a default setting on my phone - same for missed call.

Mine too, how do you turn that off for an Android?

Ah, airplanes.

Thank you guy in the middle seat for yelling at me in the window seat when I had the audacity to say "excuse me" as my family in the three seats across the aisle got up and left and the rows behind started emptying out too. 

Guy knew I was with them, yelled at me to "wait my turn like everybody else....Buddy".

I figured he was waiting on people from the back of the plane.

ETA...we have a connecting flight and got killed last time we flew through ATL. And I'm the one carrying everything for the family.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Ah, airplanes.

Thank you guy in the middle seat for yelling at me in the window seat when I had the audacity to say "excuse me" as my family in the three seats across the aisle got up and left and the rows behind started emptying out too. 

Guy knew I was with them, yelled at me to "wait my turn like everybody else....Buddy".

I figured he was waiting on people from the back of the plane.

ETA...we have a connecting flight and got killed last time we flew through ATL. And I'm the one carrying everything for the family.

But did you ask to switch seats with aisle guy?

11 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

But did you ask to switch seats with aisle guy?

And get into a full blown fist fight? Hell no.

• Laughing 1

7 hours ago, mr. furley said:

that warm water ear rinse is magic  :thumbup:

Tried it and blew some chunks out, but I’m maybe at 65-75% even after Urgent Care. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Tried it and blew some chunks out, but I’m maybe at 65-75% even after Urgent Care. 

what'd they suggest you do to get the rest cleared out?

when i got mine done a few years back it was like someone fired up a jet engine next to my head

Just now, mr. furley said:

what'd they suggest you do to get the rest cleared out?

when i got mine done a few years back it was like someone fired up a jet engine next to my head

They said use Debrox and check back next week, but the hot water ear enema worked way better imo. Just blasting it seems to work, but takes a while. It’s tiring. 

6 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

They said use Debrox and check back next week, but the hot water ear enema worked way better imo. Just blasting it seems to work, but takes a while. It’s tiring. 

When I do it, first I put hydrogen peroxide in my ear and let it stay in there (you have to lie down for best effect) for 5 - 10 minutes, how ever long it takes for the fizzing to mostly subside. Then rinse out. Repeat for other ear. The hydrogen peroxide helps loosen/break up the ear wax, making the flushing more productive. 

9 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

When I do it, first I put hydrogen peroxide in my ear and let it stay in there (you have to lie down for best effect) for 5 - 10 minutes, how ever long it takes for the fizzing to mostly subside. Then rinse out. Repeat for other ear. The hydrogen peroxide helps loosen/break up the ear wax, making the flushing more productive. 

Thx. This Debrox stuff is basically this solution. This stuff is just packed in right at my eardrum so it’s tough sledding regardless.

52 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

And get into a full blown fist fight? Hell no.

Come on.... give us some live  in-flight entertainment. 

18 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Earwax chat.

There are YouTube videos.  You all have been warned.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

Come on.... give us some live  in-flight entertainment. 

On our connecting flight back to NYC waiting to pull back. 

:boxing:

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

On our connecting flight back to NYC waiting to pull back. 

:boxing:

Don't forget to recline quickly.  Get a little element of surprise for the second card.

• Thanks 1