What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (3 Viewers)

loose circuits

Footballguy
When he first got drafted by Arizona, I was like who...? Just drafted this guy in the 5th and he went undrafted in my other league that is finished. Not sure why. I think the hype train is getting rolling on this one. I honestly haven't watched tape, but buzz is abundant. Sounds like TY Hilton or Tavon Austin clone

Links:

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2014/05/john-brown-bruce-arians-and-the-discount-ty-hilton/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/05/15/cardinals-rookie-wr-john-brown-exceeding-expectations/9154103/

Isn't this guy supposed to be a ST weapon primarily? Not sure he's much more than that and a slot guy.

Isn't this guy supposed to be a ST weapon primarily? Not sure he's much more than that and a slot guy.
That's the general consensus, but wouldn't Ginn be that guy initially? Brown's route running has been much better than they thought and he could carve out that role. Arians has a history of producing guys with this skill set- Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and TY. All were thought of as 3rd WR/deep threat guys and all produced. He hand picked this guy in the 3rd.All I am saying, for the current price (5th round rookie pick) I'm buying

That's the general consensus, but wouldn't Ginn be that guy initially? Brown's route running has been much better than they thought and he could carve out that role. Arians has a history of producing guys with this skill set- Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and TY. All were thought of as 3rd WR/deep threat guys and all produced. He hand picked this guy in the 3rd.All I am saying, for the current price (5th round rookie pick) I'm buying
Good points. I forgot about Ginn to be honest. I think he can produce in Arians system. He will be a WR3 at best there with Fitz and Floyd on the roster. What's a best case with that in mind for say the next 3 years?

best case scenario? Fitz is gone because he's due an astronomical amount of money and has a $8 mil bonus due in March of next year

His combine numbers are almost identical to Hilton's:

Hilton / Brown

5'9.5" / 5'10.0"
183 lb. / 179 lb.
26.6 BMI / 25.7 BMI
4.34 40 / 4.34 40
35.5" vert / 36.5" vert
9'11" broad / 9'11" broad
4.36 shuttle / 4.12 shuttle
7.03 3cone / 6.91 3cone
7 bench reps / 8 bench reps

Snagged Brown in the 7th round of a rookie draft in a league that drafts pre-NFL Draft. He was one of my biggest sleepers (and hype was picking up on him long before the Draft). Loved his eventual draft pedigree, didn't love his destination. But he's talented.

A Logan Thomas laser and rookie minicamp Darren Urban

Excerpt:

WR John Brown has been out the last couple of days with hamstring tightness. Arians said he will be very careful with the third-round pick. “He was too impressive the first few days not only speed and catching the ball but he didn’t make any mistakes,” Arians said. “One of the first rookies I’ve had that in the first three days he wasn’t on the busted assignment sheet.”

Grab him now before he starts to get more praise. All reports on this guy have been very positive so far. I have a feeling that by preseason he will be creeping his way into the 2nd/3rd rounds of rookie drafts. Right now he usually goes undrafted and nobody has even heard his name.

Not seeing much opportunity behind Floyd, Fitzgerald, and Ginn but certainly has some great wide receivers he could learn things from. I'm stashing in Dynasty.

when did ted ginn ever become a good receiver that someone cant beat out?
He was pretty good in Car last year. I think he should be beat out, but there is no need to trash the guy to make a point.
So good that they didn't resign him, despite a dearth of WR talent and depth.
They also didn't resign S. Smith. Was he no good as well?
Not only lost a step, but possibly a staircase. Literally seems to be on his last legs, so let's see how well he does for the Ravens before we second guess the decision to let him walk.

Rotoworld:

John Brown - WR - Cardinals

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has been impressed with third-round WR/KR John Brown in OTAs.

"He’s way ahead of most rookies, and coming from a small school, that’s unusual," Arians said. "It doesn’t overwhelm him at all. He learns fast and he can apply it fast." It's the second time in three weeks Brown has drawn the praise of Cardinals brass. Most of Brown's rookie contributions should come on special teams, but he could emerge as a situational deep threat.

Source: azcardinals.com

Jun 5 - 11:07 PM

LOTS of TY Hilton in his game. Super fast/quick, great hands, route running ability, and overall WR skills. Never heard of him til he was drafted, but am definitely a fan now. Situation works itself out for talented players so I don't get those concerns, not that I even think Brown's situation is that bad. Being the potential slot guy in a Bruce Arians offense is a damn fine spot for a rookie to be in imo.

Never heard of the guy before the draft

Picked him up with pick 6.09 in a rookie draft because honestly I forgot Ginn was in AZ and figured with Fitz and Floyd on the outside this kid would have a chance to make some plays in the slot

Rotoworld:

Third-round rookie WR/KR John Brown is drawing "favorable" comparisons to T.Y. Hilton at Cardinals OTAs.

It's an obvious comparable as both players are roughly 5'9/180 with sub-4.4 wheels. As a rookie deep threat under Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, Hilton shined with a 50-861-7 line. Brown doesn't project to have that kind of opportunity as he's blocked by Ted Ginn in Arizona, but there's room for a deep Dynasty stash here. The scheme fit is ideal.

Source: NFL.com

Jun 11 - 9:26 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Third-round rookie WR/KR John Brown is drawing "favorable" comparisons to T.Y. Hilton at Cardinals OTAs.

It's an obvious comparable as both players are roughly 5'9/180 with sub-4.4 wheels. As a rookie deep threat under Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, Hilton shined with a 50-861-7 line. Brown doesn't project to have that kind of opportunity as he's blocked by Ted Ginn in Arizona, but there's room for a deep Dynasty stash here. The scheme fit is ideal.

That's not much of a block...

Rotoworld:

Third-round rookie WR/KR John Brown is drawing "favorable" comparisons to T.Y. Hilton at Cardinals OTAs.It's an obvious comparable as both players are roughly 5'9/180 with sub-4.4 wheels. As a rookie deep threat under Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, Hilton shined with a 50-861-7 line. Brown doesn't project to have that kind of opportunity as he's blocked by Ted Ginn in Arizona, but there's room for a deep Dynasty stash here. The scheme fit is ideal.

That's not much of a block...
We'll see. I think Ginn is better than most of the fantasy community admits. Years of underperforming will do that. He's not a great obstacle, no doubt. Still rookies usually take time to make an impact and I think Ginn has enough ability to stifle a lot of Brown's opportunity this year. Next year should be a different story. I will say Brown was off my radar until this thread. I didn't really look at him seriously until I read thru this. I like what I see out of him. Enough that I drafted him late in one of my dynasty leagues. I think he's a hold for this year and that may be tough for a lot of people. Nearly every league will have roster cut down coming in a month or so and stashing Brown may prove difficult. It may be for me. Bellow are my current WRs in that league. Odds are high I'll have to cut at least 1 of these guy, perhaps 2. It will probably be a choice between Brown, Evans or LaFell.

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

Brown, John ARI WR ®

Evans, Shaq NYJ WR ®

Johnson, Andre HOU WR

Johnson, Stevie SFO WR

LaFell, Brandon NEP WR

Lee, Marqise JAC WR ®

Patterson, Cordarrelle MIN WR

Wilson, Marquess CHI WR

Bruce Arians has a dam good track record selecting mid-late round receivers, a good argument on behalf of Brown. I don't understand his fifth round ADP on MFL.

Rotoworld:

Azcardinals.com's Darren Urban said rookie WR/KR John Brown will "make an impact" for the Cardinals this season.

Brown has been earning a lot of praise from coach Bruce Arians, who has compared him to both Steelers' WR Antonio Brown and Colts' WR T.Y. Hilton throughout the draft process and offseason program. Brown was originally expected to be limited to special teams as a rookie, but it appears he will push newly-signed WR Tedd Ginn for No. 3 wide receiver duties this season.

Source: azcardinals.com

Jun 14 - 9:46 AM

Just grabbed him at 4.02 in my rookie draft and think it could be good value (performance league so long tds are gold).

LOTS of TY Hilton in his game. Super fast/quick, great hands, route running ability, and overall WR skills. Never heard of him til he was drafted, but am definitely a fan now. Situation works itself out for talented players so I don't get those concerns, not that I even think Brown's situation is that bad. Being the potential slot guy in a Bruce Arians offense is a damn fine spot for a rookie to be in imo.
I was a big fan of Hilton as a rookie and Brown is almost a clone, but my concerns were his age (turned 24 in April), his level of competition and whether Palmer will be able to take advantage of him.

Hilton turned 23 in November of his rookie year but had Luck throwing the ball. If Logan Thomas turns out to be the real deal and they have to cut Fitz then I like Brown's upside.

I was a big fan of Hilton as a rookie and Brown is almost a clone, but my concerns were his age (turned 24 in April), his level of competition and whether Palmer will be able to take advantage of him.

Hilton turned 23 in November of his rookie year but had Luck throwing the ball. If Logan Thomas turns out to be the real deal and they have to cut Fitz then I like Brown's upside.
Yeah Brown's situation might not be as great as Hilton's, and his overall skill set may not be as great either, but all in all I think it's relatively close; and given how late he's going in drafts I think he presents massive value. His trade value will be leaps and bounds higher at the end of this season than it is right now; he just looks like an easy win of a draft pick for fantasy imo.

Where did you find video any of his games? I searched without reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly just from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq71mQkuArQ

Mostly just from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq71mQkuArQ
He surprised me with some of those contested catches, albeit against weaker competition.

Such a great fit for this team. Had a glaring need for speed at WR (and hopefully this will put an end to the Pat Peterson WR experiment)

Ginn should be able to supply some help as deep threat while Brown's learning the ropes.

JMO Better fit for Cards than will be for fantasy purposes.

Yeah I think his chances of being fantasy relevant are pretty slim, but if you have some spare room on your bench why not give it a shot.

More importantly, love the kids story and all the adversity he has overcome. Hope he continues to prove everyone wrong and does well for himself.

Yeah I think his chances of being fantasy relevant are pretty slim, but if you have some spare room on your bench why not give it a shot.

More importantly, love the kids story and all the adversity he has overcome. Hope he continues to prove everyone wrong and does well for himself.
As much as you can judge someone from a short interview he seems like a good guy. Don't have him on any of my teams but I'll be rooting for him.

Rotoworld:

According to NFL.com's Gil Brandt, the Cardinals think third-round WR John Brown "will be a special player" and are "very high on him" after spring practices.

Coach Bruce Arians has likened Brown to past pupils Antonio Brown and T.Y. Hilton, although the 5-foot-10, 179-pounder with 4.34 jets profiles more similarly to Mike Wallace, from whom Arians coaxed a 39-756-19.4-6 rookie year in Pittsburgh. Per Brandt, Brown will spend pre-training camp time working with Carson Palmer in San Diego. Brown is squarely on the radar in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Jun 25 - 7:39 PM

Any more recent news on this guy from the first couple days at training camp? I searched but couldn't find anything. Last news on RW is what is posted above on 6/25.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals GM Steve Keim has called third-round WR John Brown un-coverable in camp.

"I can tell you so far we haven't been able to cover him," were Keim's exact words. Brown has been creating buzz all offseason, drawing comparisons to past under-sized Bruce Arians wideouts like T.Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown. Brown's 5-foot-10, 179-pound frame comes with 4.34 wheels. He'll have a hard time making a re-draft impact behind Michael Floyd, Larry Fitzgerald and perhaps even Ted Ginn, but is obviously a name to pursue in Dynasty formats.

Source: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Jul 28 - 2:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Cardinals GM Steve Keim has called third-round WR John Brown un-coverable in camp.

"I can tell you so far we haven't been able to cover him," were Keim's exact words. Brown has been creating buzz all offseason, drawing comparisons to past under-sized Bruce Arians wideouts like T.Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown. Brown's 5-foot-10, 179-pound frame comes with 4.34 wheels. He'll have a hard time making a re-draft impact behind Michael Floyd, Larry Fitzgerald and perhaps even Ted Ginn, but is obviously a name to pursue in Dynasty formats.

Source: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Jul 28 - 2:02 PM
That's what I was looking for!

5 observations from first week of camp

Excerpt:

All the hype about John Brown is looking legitimate so far. He’s been fast off the line and quick once he catches the ball. It’s obvious his time in San Diego with Palmer paid off as the two have a burgeoning connection. While Brown looked just as fast in pads as he did out of them, it will be hard to tell if he’s a true standout until he goes across the middle when a safety or linebacker is actually trying to take his head off. If he can take an NFL hit and bounce back and still be fast, then he might be a star in the making.

He might be very good, but I doubt he's better than Floyd and I'd eat my hat if he's better than Fitz. Then you have the limitations of Carson Palmer back there and the fact that he's in the NFC West. He's a long shot at fantasy production.

Users who are viewing this thread