What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (1 Viewer)

Yep. The key is health. If he's healthy, he'll produce this year and should for sure be on a roster. If he's on your wire, you could do a whole lot worse than grabbing him.

I see you are back in on him again this year Kutta.  I don't want to look back through all the thread, but I think we bantered back and forth 2 years ago during his "semi-breakout" and beforehand.  :thumbup:

(I think it was you, anyway)

I remember him having a few sort of bad breaks that year, and he was 3-5 plays from having a monster year.

I told myself I wasn't in on him again this year, I was going to look elsewhere. Then the last preseason game he had the TDs in happened.

In my biggest league (and the earliest to draft) early last week, some things went awry, and I found myself looking at John Brown yet again as my WR3. (we play  start 3WR). I went off in the 3 slot and took Antonio Brown, then Cooks, and late in the draft after a bunch of my targets had been snatched, I pulled the trigger on John Brown..

I'm satisfied with those three, and in general I am a tiny bit of a Cards homer because of David Johnson :wub: who I  got in on early during his breakout year.  So yet again I am in on the John Brown hype train....when I thought I wouldn't be, but I am happy with it. Now if the dude can just stay healthy~!

On that note- I think the Cardinals are being looked over, and could have a big run again this year if they avoid injury. Much of that depends on ...yes, John Brown.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you are back in on him again this year Kutta.  I don't want to look back through all the thread, but I think we bantered back and forth 2 years ago during his "semi-breakout" and beforehand.  :thumbup:

(I think it was you, anyway)

I remember him having a few sort of bad breaks that year, and he was 3-5 plays from having a monster year.

I told myself I wasn't in on him again this year, I was going to look elsewhere. Then the last preseason game he had the TDs in happened.

In my biggest league (and the earliest to draft) early last week, some things went awry, and I found myself looking at John Brown yet again as my WR3. (we play  start 3WR). I went off in the 3 slot and took Antonio Brown, then Cooks, and late in the draft after a bunch of my targets had been snatched, I pulled the trigger on John Brown..

I'm satisfied with those three, and in general I am a tiny bit of a Cards homer because of David Johnson :wub: who I  got in on early during his breakout year.  So yet again I am in on the John Brown hype train....when I thought I wouldn't be, but I am happy with it. Now if the dude can just stay healthy~!

On that note- I think the Cardinals are being looked over, and could have a big run again this year if they avoid injury. Much of that depends on ...yes, John Brown.

TZM
Agreed. I'm in, but a bit cautious because of the injuries. I'm hoping my he's back to full strength and if he is, he's a steal where he's going right now.

we'll find out soon!

ESPN Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss expects John Brown to be the No. 2 receiver and play a "major role" Week 1 against the Lions.

The Lions were killed through the air last season, especially out of the slot, which sets up well for Larry Fitzgerald. Brown will likely run a heavy dose of his routes at No. 1 CB Darius Slay. He's in play as a WR4 in a game that has shootout potential. Jaron Brown and J.J. Nelson will likely play in sub-packages.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 8 - 12:45 PM

Plucked him off waivers last week. He's got WR2 upside when he plays. Key word is when. I don't plan on starting him yet.

Surprised there is no more talk here of Brown, especially with the news.

Essentially Bruce Arians came out today and said "I don't know when John Brown will be healthy", and he is currently marked as "OUT". No timetable for return.

It may have been a bit premature , but I went ahead and dropped him. I was fortunate enough to pick up J.J. Nelson, who should have a decent sized role going forward.

Its looking more and more like this is a multi week issue, and they may just decide to shelf him for a long time, and try to "win with what they have", in an effort to keep the season alive. Perhaps they are hoping for a comeback for David Johnson and John Brown both later in the season. (To help for a potential late season playoff push???) They are looking like a shambles, but they need to try and scrap together a few wins and stay in the race.

(it is for a multitude of roster reasons and a trade, I dropped Brown in the one league I had him)  Hated to do it, but it had to be done.  The Cardinals might can afford to go on without him, but unfortunately my fantasy team just can't.

This is looking more and more like a 4 week + injury, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up on IR.   I like this kids talent, and he has a great story.....but its starting to look like a lost cause for John Brown.

TZM

Crud. I think I'm giving up. Was really hoping he was healthy but I don't think he will ever be totally healthy at this point.

So he's actually playing this weekend. Anyone have the stones to roll him out there? Any Cardinals homers with thoughts on how he might be used his first week back? With Crabtree now doubtful, I'm considering him as an emergency fill-in (16-team, 3WR, standard), but am wary that they might ease him back in. Feels like TBenjy may be a little safer.

So he's actually playing this weekend. Anyone have the stones to roll him out there? Any Cardinals homers with thoughts on how he might be used his first week back? With Crabtree now doubtful, I'm considering him as an emergency fill-in (16-team, 3WR, standard), but am wary that they might ease him back in. Feels like TBenjy may be a little safer.
I picked him up from waivers today, but definitely not playing him. 

Like Tricky I gobbled him up on waivers, glad he's back, own him all over, playing him zero places. As always relative to your options but with players coming off injury I like to see it first. I still think he might be a few weeks away, if things go well, from resuming a full workload.

Arians gave a solid update yesterday.I'll paraphrase a tad but he said if John Brown played 70 snaps he'd be right back in the same position he's been in last few weeks but that he'd be playing so Arians gave us a solid and let us know he was basically playing a reduced workload. He's a big play guy so he might still work out but I'd settle for showing well and working his way back up to full snap count.

Yeah, I went with Benjy for this week. If I had the space I would definitely stash Brown. As it is I'll just keep an eye on him and hopefully be able to pick him up down the road. It's not often you can get someone with WR2 potential off the WW.

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised that he came back earlier than expected. Now if Eifert could just do the same thing, I could drop my other TE and have room for Smokey.

Ravens signed WR John Brown, formerly of the Cardinals, to a one-year, $5 million contract.

With incentives he could earn up to $6.5 million. This has to feel like somewhat of a letdown for the Ravens, who came up short in their pursuit of both Jarvis Landry and Donte Moncrief. Brown became a household name when he went for 1,000 yards in 2015 but has struggled to stay on the field while battling a sickle-cell condition. The 27-year-old is an adequate replacement for deep threat Mike Wallace but obviously comes with significant injury risk. He joins an underwhelming Baltimore pass-catching corps featuring declining vet Jeremy Maclin and draft bust Breshad Perriman.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 13 - 7:02 PM

Ravens WR John Brown continued to 'stand out' among the team's receivers Saturday.

Brown has ample opportunity to flourish for the Ravens, who have the most available air yards (2,829) and targets (332) to replace from last season. Unfortunately, Brown has only started in 11 games the past two seasons and hasn't truly been healthy since posting a 65-1,003-7 receiving line in 2015. If healthy, he remains one of fantasy's best late-round fliers.

Related: Ravens

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Jul 28 - 11:18 AM

I like Brown, especially in best ball. I think he tracks the ball in the air well for a guy with blazing speed, and Flacco can launch rockets.

I also think he's a pretty skilled all-around guy, insofar as coordination and general feel for the game are concerned, but is limited by size and health.

I wonder how frequently he'll be able to bust it up over the top like Flacco has done with Torrey Smith & Mike Wallace. Those are game changing plays and I think John Brown can do a lot of intermediate routes as well.

Really wish he had stayed under the radar but his adp is just going to keep going up.  I think I have him in more than half of my BB drafts.

what is the ceiling here? WR15-20ish? that's if everything goes perfectly (he doesnt get hurt... flacco regains form).... and to get to that WR15-20 level he's going to have a few week winning games and perhaps more frequently some dud outings. i guess i don't see crazy upside.. especially if hype is going to move him up to a WR15-20 price

i think it may be a reach to even expect 1000 yards since only a handful of raven WR's have gotten there with flacco

what is the ceiling here? WR15-20ish? that's if everything goes perfectly (he doesnt get hurt... flacco regains form).... and to get to that WR15-20 level he's going to have a few week winning games and perhaps more frequently some dud outings. i guess i don't see crazy upside.. especially if hype is going to move him up to a WR15-20 price

i think it may be a reach to even expect 1000 yards since only a handful of raven WR's have gotten there with flacco
Realistically, an 18% market share that leads to something like a 60/1000/5 stat line or ~12ppg or what would amount to a high-end WR3 in PPR last year. It would be very similar to his 2015 season. 

It really depends on how much you think BAL is going to throw this year. I think I'm a bit lower than the consensus that is still blinded by what Flacco was doing with Trestman. I think Morhinweg is going to want to take the air out of the ball and lean on Collins whenever possible. 

i guess i don't see crazy upside.. especially if hype is going to move him up to a WR15-20 price
No one is buying at a WR15-20 price..I think that's the point here.  I like him way better than other WR6/7's going at his ADP of WR70+.

ETA: You did say "move him up" to that price so let me rephrase.  I think the hype could get him as a high as a WR40 type pick by Labor day drafts at which point I wont likely own him.  But I will hammer him at current ADP in best balls all day long.

The Ahtletic's Jeff Zrebiec considers John Brown the "standout" of Ravens camp.

Per Zrebiec, "nobody made more plays than Brown during training camp." Zrebiec is echoing coach John Harbaugh, who singled Brown out for praise on Wednesday. Brown has proven to be an electrifying playmaker when healthy, but he spent much of the past two years battling complications from his sickle-cell trait. If Brown is beyond that this season, he will be an ideal deep target for big-armed Joe Flacco, and quite possibly the Ravens' No. 1 receiver.

Source: The Athletic 

Aug 14 - 5:53 PM

John Brown caught 4-of-10 targets for 92 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 2 loss to the Bengals.

Brown's 10 targets tied Michael Crabtree for the team lead. They were six more than he drew in the opener. Brown now has two touchdowns through two games as a Raven and made two nearly impossible catches this evening. The first was a 45-yarder that should have been picked in triple coverage. The second was his 21-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter, where he simply took the ball from Dre Kirkpatrick in the end zone. Fully healthy and playing a legitimate amount of snaps, Brown is shaping up as an upside WR3.

Sep 14 - 12:07 AM

Five Things We Learned from the Ravens' 34-23 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals

Excerpt:

John Brown gives the Ravens an element they’ve not had since 2014.

The last Ravens receiver to inspire confidence on contested deep balls was Steve Smith Sr. when he first arrived in Baltimore. Smith was a great player, still near his prime, and he could turn an imperfect throw from Flacco into a big chunk of yardage.

For all his ability to spring free on deep routes, Mike Wallace never felt like that kind of force on 50-50 balls, and he seemed to vanish from the game plan for long stretches.

It’s still too early to say Brown can produce like 2014 Smith. Flacco targeted him 10 times against the Bengals, and he came away with just four catches. But two of those were spectacular plays in traffic that kept the Ravens within shouting distance.

Brown’s 21-yard touchdown catch against airtight coverage by Cincinnati cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick was particularly inspired.

His talent was never in question after a 2015 breakout season in which he averaged 15.4 yards a catch for the Arizona Cardinals. Brown simply could not stay on the field in 2016 or 2017 because of a succession of baffling maladies.

But he quickly felt at ease with his health and his fit once he arrived in Baltimore and emerged as the offensive star of training camp.

Now the Ravens are seeing that same lustrous quality in games.

Wow, Flacco really is terrible. Jackson may be in this year after all
Jackson looked terrible too the limited snaps that I saw but at some point you need to see what you have. And Flacco is obviously not the future. He cashed in on that SB win HUGE and is just riding it to retirement. And good for him. But yeah, if I were a Ravens fan I would hope they start transitioning sooner than later. 

Thank you! I love the condensed highlights. One thing that was confirmed - Flacco is still terrible. Aikman comments on the throw on half the attempts, lol. 
I didn't see it that way.  I thought he threw away from the defense, not exactly TO the receiver.  Veteran QB play, IMO.

I didn't see it that way.  I thought he threw away from the defense, not exactly TO the receiver.  Veteran QB play, IMO.
Will have to agree to disagree lol. The one he threw BEHIND Brown which was actually closer to the defender and several that sailed over his head - again closer to the defender. 

Took a flier on Brown as my last pick in the draft. Started him yesterday with no hesitation (I mean, it's the Steelers secondary). BOOM! Two bombs and a TD. And Flacco was taking shots to him downfield all game. Glad I listened to Waldman because this guy is a steal...

On Pace for 60, 1352, and 12.  Not bad for a guy coming out of the double digit rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread